PDA

View Full Version : Yet Another Rooting Question-Forgive My Ignorance

raf66
12-16-2011, 10:33 AM
Hi everyone. I've had my Droid X since July, 2010. Love it, play with it more than my desktop computer and have tinkered a bit with rooting. I rooted with Z4Root some time ago while on Froyo and fell in love with the phone all over again. I never did any specialized ROMs, and never froze or deleted any stock programs. Really just loved being able to overclock/undervolt the battery, tether, and some other rather basic stuff. Fast forward to the GB release.

Obviously once I updated OTA I lost root, and frankly I was fine with that given that GB had some nice new features. It really felt like a new phone with an updated operating system. Now, though, I really want to be able to root again, if for no other reason than to overclock, tether and do some basic stuff. I'm running 2.3.3, my system version is 4.5.605MB810 (Verizon), and the baseband (radio?) version is 13.

I did some internet searching and ultimately found the one-click root method for GB. I downloaded the Droid 3 easy root script v7 to my iMac and gave it a whirl. Upon reading the instructions I came to the realization very quickly that the process certainly wasn't going to be as easy as it was with Z4Root, but I thought I could handle it. Boy was I wrong. Nothing seemed to go as planned and I was left wondering whether I was just one of "those people" who weren't going to be able to root since I had previously rooted on Froyo and did an OTA to GB. Obviously my "superuser" app still shows up in my app drawer.

Now that I've had the phone for nearly 1 1/2 years, I'm wondering if my time with the X has just run its course and I'm better off going to another phone with 4G capabilities, a front-facing camera, newer/faster/yada yada yada. I've even toyed with going to the iPhone 4S (sorry) as both my teenage kids have an iPhone 4 and it seems to be a nice phone (though no 4G). I would consider keeping my X - a couple hundred dollars could be better spent elsewhere - if I could root again, but alas I'm wondering if I'm just not going to be able to do it. I've researched it, followed the directions, even followed some threads where others had some problems to see how they resolved them. All to no avail.

Doe my inability to root have to do with the fact that I was previously rooted in Froyo? Is it because I have a Mac computer? Is there another way besides the one-click root process? I guess what I'm asking is whether there is anyone who has/had the same circumstances who would be willing to walk me through the process (or to just let me know that I'm stuck with stock GB). I consider myself relatively computer literate (though one would never guess that given my problems with trying to root GB), and having been married for 22 yrs., I'm quite good at taking direction.

Thanks for you guidance and assistance.

towbiz
12-16-2011, 10:47 AM
Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

cory46
12-16-2011, 10:49 AM
When you un rooted on froyo did you use the root app to do so or sbf?

There is no other way to root right now besides the computer 1 clicks

You'll need to use this process
http://www.psouza4.com/Bionic/#droidx

It says windows but its the same process on mac substituting command prompt for terminal

You could also try this

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-rs-approved-guides/41454-guide-how-root-your-phone-zergrush.html

but the old SU binaries most likely will need to be removed like the above link says

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities

Scorp6
12-16-2011, 11:52 AM
Hey raf! I ran into this exact problem. The issue you're having is the superuser app that is still on your phone from your Froyo root. The only way to rid your phone of that is to SBF back to Froyo, the do the automatic update, then do the one click root process. It is fairly simple but you will need the $2.99 Droid 2 Bootstrap app. I will update this post with links.

raf66
12-16-2011, 01:29 PM
Thanks for the info so far everyone. towbiz, you're post came out blank so I'm wondering if maybe you had some good guidance as well that I'm just not able to see.

raf66
12-16-2011, 09:25 PM
Scorp6, the Droid 2 Bootstrap app that you mentioned says that I need to be rooted to use it. I'm not rooted now so do I need to root per your instructions prior to purchasing/using the bootstrap app? Also, wouldn't it be Droid X Bootstrap rather than Droid 2? How do I SBF back to Froyo and won't I still have the superuser app still on the phone, leaving me in the same place I am now? Will I lose everything (purchased apps, contacts, etc.) when I SBF?

Sorry if these are stupid questions.

stashttey
12-16-2011, 09:57 PM
Sounds to me like sbf would be your first step. Then root.

Talon66721
12-16-2011, 10:00 PM
Get D2 Bootstrap, I know the other sounds more reasonable, but it doesn't play with GB as nicely as D2. To save your apps, you can get Titanium Backup Pro, if you're going to be rooted and flash roms or even for when you have to sbf, it's worth every penny and then some. Contacts should be backed up with your Google account, paid apps should sync with Market, Amazon, or the source that you got them from. Do a search for the thread about sbf'ing, it should be stickied somewhere. I've done it about a dozen times since yesterday, so I can walk you through it if need be, but it's a lot of typing and I'm not that fast at it, sorry. It's not hard, don't be scared of it by any means. Also, there are no dumb questions on this forum, except for the ones lately about Apple wanting to sue everyone. Lol. Once you sbf back to Froyo, you can undo the root, ota, and try to root GB again. Or what I do, sbf to Froyo, root, two part zip with D2 Bootstrap to Clockwork, then I'm on rooted GB .602, and good to go.

raf66
12-20-2011, 02:08 PM
Thanks for your help Talon. It seems I have so much to learn.:shocked:

Talon66721
12-21-2011, 06:59 PM
Thanks for your help Talon. It seems I have so much to learn.:shocked:

No problem, Raf. You're right, there is so much great stuff to learn about this phone. Especially rooted, you have so much more room to do what you want! Don't get scared off by that, look at it like a new and really fun hobby. That's what I consider it. Also, if you think you broke your phone, you didn't. The people on here can fix anything short of you driving over it, in my opinion! They really are awesome!