PDA

View Full Version : Rooting Take 2

sparker781
12-15-2011, 06:33 PM
Hey all. I decided to give rooting another shot and want to install Liberty 3 (Unless there is something better out there?). I have the z4 mod and am trying to run it as we speak however the app is just sitting there spinning there and not doing anything.

Thanks

savagerun
12-15-2011, 06:44 PM
Z4 only works on froyo. You are probably on gingerbread. Go in your phone settings then press about phone and see what your system version is. If it's 4.5.605 or 4.5.602 then your on gingerbread and need to use the d3 one click root found here http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/gingerbread-development-hacking/35634-gb-602-root-start-here-links-all.html

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

sparker781
12-15-2011, 06:59 PM
Your right. I was on GB and didnt realize that I needed something different. Thanks for the help. Hey is there anything better out there than Liberty 3?

savagerun
12-15-2011, 07:11 PM
Well that's what im running and i think vortex is great also. But it's all personal preference but those 2 are very popular. I think you made an excellent choice.

sparker781
12-16-2011, 07:49 AM
Well that's what im running and i think vortex is great also. But it's all personal preference but those 2 are very popular. I think you made an excellent choice.

I rooted my phone with the instructions in that video above....Now how does one install the ROM? I did it once and screwed my phone up pretty good....

Thanks for the help

savagerun
12-16-2011, 08:24 AM
You install it using droid 2 bootstrap. Make a nandroid backup of your rooted 605 first. To do that open your droid2 bootstrap app and press bootstrap recovery then when it says success press ok then press reboot recovery. Once in recovery scroll down with your volume button to backup and restore and select it with your camera button. Then you'll get the options to backup or restore and select backup and let it do it's thing. Once it's done backing up select reboot system. Then you can install liberty by using the bootstrap. Open it again and scroll down to wipe data and select it then select yes to wipe. Next wipe cache partition and next select advanced and wipe davlik. Next select install zip from sd card then select choose zip from sd and find your liberty zip. If you downloaded it straight to your phone it will be in your download folder so select it and install. When it's done installing select reboot system.
Edit... You can backup apps with titanium backup. Your paid apps will be in the market once you sign into your google account. Make sure your contacts are backed up in your google account also.

sparker781
12-16-2011, 09:48 AM
Thanks for the step by step guide. I am stuck however and before I continue....I am trying to go into the Droid 2 Bootstrapper and Reboot Recovery however when I attempt to do this, nothing happens...I push the button and nothing...Got any suggestions? Is this supposed hooked up thru USB?

savagerun
12-16-2011, 10:10 AM
Are you sure your rooted.? Get the root checker app from the market and run it.

sparker781
12-16-2011, 10:17 AM
Im good now...For some reason the SuperUser id was blocking the app. I am backing up now....I actually saved the Liberty 3 ROM on my computers Desktop