PDA

View Full Version : Want to root, have questions and need reassurance

stafinois
12-14-2011, 12:44 AM
I've had my DroidX for a little under a year. I notice it getting a little sluggish, and I'd like to speed it up. I also have the urge to buy a new gadget, and I just can't swing it right now. I figured that if I mess around with it, maybe even install a new ROM, it will be like having a whole new toy! And, I'd really like to be able to screen cap.

My biggest concern is the warranty. I had to get a replacement this summer when the GPS and WiFi stopped working. If I root the phone and load a custom ROM, how hard is it to go back if something goes wrong with the phone and I have to get a replacement?

I think that I am fairly technologically savvy, but this kind of scares me. Is bricking the phone as easy as some say? Will I need another phone to reactivate my phone somewhere along the line? I don't have a land line.

I've read so much, and I don't know which are the best instructions, or where to begin. Where should I start? Which instructions are the most idiot proof?

I am running Android 2.3.3, System Version 4.5.605.MB810.Verizon.en.US.

Thank you for all of your help!

Leach19m
12-14-2011, 12:47 AM
Worry not, if you need to return it for a warranty issue, doing an SBF will bring you back to fresh out of the box stock, and they'll not be able to tell you were ever rooted. Also, it's incredibly difficult to brick your phone. That same SBF can and will fix pretty much any non-hardware issue; so it's always there to save you. Just make sure you read and know what you're doing and getting yourself into.

To root, visit the thread below and follow the instructions for gingerbread and whatever computer OS you're running

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/gingerbread-development-hacking/37965-root-how-win-linux-os-x-latest-dx-602-605-a.html

nemosfate
12-14-2011, 01:02 AM
Leach is right on and with roms allot if the boat is removed and that helps a bit with slight speed improvement and you can overclock just don't go too high with it, there's a couple of overclock apps in the market

Root, Roms and Themes, oh my...

stafinois
12-14-2011, 01:59 PM
Should I have this SBF handy at all times, or is it something that I can always grab later if needed? I see that I can run it on a USB drive, which is handy since I have a netbook. Does it need to be a blank, dedicated USB or can I put it on one that I already have stuff saved on? I have an external burner so I can do it from a CD if that is better.

Sorry, I'm a total newbie and probably sound like an idiot. LOL

DirtyDroid
12-14-2011, 02:51 PM
Its something that you can do either now, or when yah needed, probably the best to get it alteast all set up now, so IF something did happen in the future, that is one less thing that you have to worry about....depending on how big the flash is that you want to use, I personally run the cd, and just throw it in a case for whenever i need it...

popcenator
12-14-2011, 02:56 PM
I would familiarize yourself with the SBF process before diving into rooting.

on the move..

stafinois
12-14-2011, 10:43 PM
I went ahead and rooted. It worked! I have my screencaps now! I installed Titanium Backup Pro and got rid of some of the games and Blockbuster. I'm not brave enough to install a ROM yet. Maybe later!

Nemo aeternamn
12-14-2011, 10:50 PM
I went ahead and rooted. It worked! I have my screencaps now! I installed Titanium Backup Pro and got rid of some of the games and Blockbuster. I'm not brave enough to install a ROM yet. Maybe later!

CONGRATS!!!!
baby steps... and we'll be here with ya when time comes to install a rom!

fr8shaker77
12-14-2011, 10:59 PM
There are video tutorials in the Gingerbread section to watch and they are a great way to learn about installing roms and to see what all is out there for your phone

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

stafinois
12-14-2011, 11:17 PM
I tried to load the SBF from a flash drive just to test but couldn't get it to work. I'll be wanting to test that before I attempt to install a new ROM.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

popcenator
12-14-2011, 11:18 PM
What did it do? Did you burn it to the flash drive or just copy it?

on the move..

stafinois
12-15-2011, 12:14 AM
I burned it to the flash drive.

I got something to load the second time. It was just a line of text about the version of Linux. It didn't say anything about my phone, but but I didn't have it plugged in at the time.

stafinois
12-26-2011, 12:24 AM
Well, my cousin's boyfriend tried to install Liberty on my phone. It went badly, and we had to SBF back to factory settings. Boo! He's rooted and installed Eclipse on both his phone and my cousin's so I thought he knew what he was doing. Now I'm terrified of doing anything beyond rooting.

Hawkeye
12-26-2011, 06:21 AM
Don't be...especially since you know how to sbf now. I made a mistake flashing my first ROM, so i sbf'd followed the ROM installations instruction in the OP and i haven't looked back.

...My River is Running Orange With Liberty 3...

DirtyDroid
12-26-2011, 07:29 AM
Agree with hawkeye...depending on what sbf you use...it can seem horrible....but if you use 1kds CD...its painless and worry free...only thing you need to worry about is stock cable and charged battery

MCLESN
12-27-2011, 02:44 AM
Hi im a noob to this whole scene..i should be recieving my phone today or tomorrow im getting super anxious lol so i have a droidx can i put it on metro pcs??? Help please??? Do i have to root it ??? If so help with that also thanks and whats a rom ..if you guys could help me out with some video links that would be awesome thanks

kaylaabrookee
01-01-2012, 02:06 PM
Can you tell me how to root my phone without needing a computer

Sent from my SCH-M828C using Droid X Forums

HarleyDude
01-01-2012, 02:22 PM
Can you tell me how to root my phone without needing a computer

Sent from my SCH-M828C using Droid X Forums

If you have a droid X running Gingerbread, you cannot root without a computer. Your sig says you have a different phone, this forum is specific to the droid X

I'm not sure what phone you have, but you may want to check the android sub-forum at our Mother Site, http://www.droidforums.net/forum/verizon-android-phones/

Depending on what version of android you have, z4root, z4root download links (http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-hacks/13259-z4root-download-links-get-your-root-here.html), or gingerbreak, Gingerbreak Released (http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/gingerbread-development-hacking/24514-gingerbreak-released.html), may work without needing a computer