PDA

View Full Version : Droid X Froyo Release Coming Soon

danDroid
08-19-2010, 03:09 PM
http://www.droidxforums.com/img/droid-x-froyo2.jpg

In less then 24 hours Droid X Owners will have a much awaited Android upgrade available thanks to the crew at MyDroidWorld.com. We can't wait to see the speed improvements Froyo brings to the X. We are also crossing our fingers that flash might be included as well. More information coming, so stay tuned!

Keep up the good work P3Droid!
Source: MyDroidWorld - Droid X: Be Ready- less than 24hrs (http://www.mydroidworld.com/forums/content/724-droid-x-ready-less-than-24hrs.html)

Note: This is not the official update from Motorola/Verizon

Kmasum
08-19-2010, 03:11 PM
Not gonna happen, late wait til late sep

-against app piracy droid X tapatalk

MrSniffles69
08-19-2010, 03:16 PM
Omg It would beso freaking awesome if this thing is right WOOOHHOOO!!!

drew823
08-19-2010, 03:17 PM
it is right!!! just now we gotta wait!!

cjacobs
08-19-2010, 03:17 PM
Awesome!! As far as Im concerned Sept will NEVERRR come!

DebianDog
08-19-2010, 03:18 PM
Note: This is not the official update from Motorola/Verizon I'll wait then ;)

There is nothing 2.2 offers that I can't wait for.

BOWIE
08-19-2010, 03:19 PM
Good. It seemed as if some people here were starting to have an emotional breakdown waiting for the dang update. :p

drew823
08-19-2010, 03:21 PM
Good. It seemed as if some people here were starting to have an emotional breakdown waiting for the dang update. :p
Flash!!!

thecta
08-19-2010, 03:40 PM
Very confused by this...I went to the source of the news (via the link). It had basically the same thing you posted...a statement saying it is coming in less than 24hrs and a picture of 2 phones. Who was the source for the original post on the other site? Been doing my own little due diligence and can't find anyone anywhere else making that claim.

"Note: This is not the official update from Motorola/Verizon" <---is this referring to the OS update itself or the news update? Sorry...just trying to understand this news a bit more. What's the catch here?:confused:

C-had
08-19-2010, 03:43 PM
Very confused by this...I went to the source of the news (via the link). It had basically the same thing you posted...a statement saying it is coming in less than 24hrs and a picture of 2 phones. Who was the source for the original post on the other site? Been doing my own little due diligence and can't find anyone anywhere else making that claim.

"Note: This is not the official update from Motorola/Verizon" <---is this referring to the OS update itself or the news update? Sorry...just trying to understand this news a bit more. What's the catch here?:confused:

All this post means is that they have found a way to load a froyo rom with a verifiable kernel from a dev phone. It's not the froyo update everyone has been waiting for.

thecta
08-19-2010, 03:48 PM
All this post means is that they have found a way to load a froyo rom with a verifiable kernel from a dev phone. It's not the froyo update everyone has been waiting for.

Ahhh...got it. Now I need to run off and google "kernel." Or maybe this was a sign that I need to visit KFC tonight. I digress. Thanks C-had!

fbmustang69
08-19-2010, 03:51 PM
I can't wait to do this.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

C-had
08-19-2010, 03:52 PM
I don't know everything about it I am sure others here know way more, but basically with the bootloader being locked on the X the kernal has to be of a preditermined or approved source or the phone will remain in a bootloop until that happens. I am pretty sure from reading everything you can almost use any rom you want but the kernel has to be something specific. Like I said other people will know more and be able to correct me or even go into more detail. But thats the basics of it as I understand it anyway

phimuskapsi
08-19-2010, 03:52 PM
It's not a port, it's a "leak" whatever that means is open to interpretation. I think it possibly means that it's a leaked rom for the X, but not for the dev phone, more for evaluation on a stock device. I could be way off on this though.

didiwags
08-19-2010, 04:09 PM
That is cool, but I will wait for the offical one!!! Have fun to all those who do it. I cant wait to hear about it!!!

DOCTOR X
08-19-2010, 05:56 PM
Man if this is true I won't be able to sleep all night. Wow could it really be true. Guess will all find out tomorrow.

hollywood
08-19-2010, 06:08 PM
Judging by the icon, it looks like my issue with not being able to just slide the sound setting to toggle vibrate has been resolved! Yay!

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-help/2340-vibrate-dont-just-go-silent.html

fbmustang69
08-19-2010, 06:35 PM
Judging by the icon, it looks like my issue with not being able to just slide the sound setting to toggle vibrate has been resolved! Yay!

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-help/2340-vibrate-dont-just-go-silent.html

I agree

CBGOODMAN200A
08-19-2010, 10:12 PM
My daughter received her 2.2 update for her D1 last night! I regret to inform everyone that as of this morning flash is not included. We then tried to load it separately and we received a message that stated that Flash 10.1 will be ready for Android 2.2 soon.

iDr0id
08-20-2010, 07:25 AM
My daughter received her 2.2 update for her D1 last night! I regret to inform everyone that as of this morning flash is not included. We then tried to load it separately and we received a message that stated that Flash 10.1 will be ready for Android 2.2 soon.

wHATTT. Anyways that is the droid, not the droid x. HOPEFULLY 2.2 will put the dx up on par with the evo 4 as far as web browsing

mysticalmalissa
08-20-2010, 08:41 AM

Got my update on my D1 about 30 mins ago. *sigh* I went straight to the market to hunt for adobe flash and found a joke...lol...There was a *cough* app called Adobe Flash Showcase for mobile. All that did was take me to a website telling me to go look at what I can expect.....................someday. LOL

Natemz
08-20-2010, 08:49 AM
From the guys over at MDW on Twitter:

"P3Droid: Every listen up, MDW is subject to a DDOS attack at this time to coincide with the release of FROYO..This is BS but I will get this to you
via web at 08:40:25 AM"

"We are getting 1.5 million hits on the webpage every 3 mins....whoever you are you are hurting the community and we will find you
via web at 08:41:08 AM"

CBGOODMAN200A
08-20-2010, 09:29 AM
Got my update on my D1 about 30 mins ago. *sigh* I went straight to the market to hunt for adobe flash and found a joke...lol...There was a *cough* app called Adobe Flash Showcase for mobile. All that did was take me to a website telling me to go look at what I can expect.....................someday. LOL

Now they're teasing us with it too! Nooooo

Speed6onMeth
09-03-2010, 10:06 AM
Is the 2.2 update is suppose to be out today? If so i tried searching for the update and my phone said no updates available. Looks like a even longer wait now!

sabbath
09-03-2010, 04:10 PM
Boy the leaked froyo must be close to the finale. Otherwise w
hy would they care so much?

hollovoid7
09-03-2010, 07:41 PM
Boy the leaked froyo must be close to the finale. Otherwise w
hy would they care so much?

Or its not close to the final, and they didn't want phones with untested software hovering around and increasing the support volume. Alot of people will chauk it up to running an early release, but there was a surprising amount of people who were very inexperienced trying to update.

KevenW
09-03-2010, 11:26 PM
I bet they've cancelled 2.2 now cause of the leak. we'll never get an update now!!!! we're stuck with 2.1 forever........... :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:( lol
'

Metalheadzaid
09-04-2010, 08:35 AM
Or its not close to the final, and they didn't want phones with untested software hovering around and increasing the support volume. Alot of people will chauk it up to running an early release, but there was a surprising amount of people who were very inexperienced trying to update.

This. There are some hefty idiots who want to update - you'll notice them on forums quite often as the ones who ask a question that has 10-15 threads all over about it without googling, searching, or doing anything and expect answers.

BandwidthGod
09-04-2010, 08:39 AM
The Droid Incredible has been getting 2.2 updates that started in the last few days. Droid X is next in line.

Veldy
09-04-2010, 12:16 PM
Frankly I am getting quite irritated with Motorola/Verizon about the delay of this update. The current release (2.1 update 1) is full of bugs. One of the most annoying is with the keyboard; whenever you type something like "I just spent $3 on that ..." you get "I just spent$ 3 on that ...". Whenever you enter a character it erases the preceding space; REALLY ANNOYING. Also, at random times it just decides to drop wireless and go to 3G (I only care for reasons of battery conservation). I have tried leaving my phone in performance mode, or I use Smart and set the time frame to shut down communications to be from 2AM to 7AM. No help. There are a few more minor issues. Personally, I think they are looking at ripping out the froyo feature to allow wireless tethering so that they can keep charging for that at a rate of $20 / month. Since that is a feature of the OS, they either should not have taken on the Android OS or just leave it alone! The Droid X was supposed to release with 2.2 on it, but they bumped up the release date of the phone a little to time well against the iPhone release. So, they should have maintained priority on 2.2 for this phone, but instead pushed out 2.2 for both the Droid and Droid 2. Even HTC has it's update for the Incredible ahead of their promised schedule and they have a much weightier Sense UI. In short, Motorola has put its priorities elsewhere. They better get them set straight .... I am getting very tempted by the leaked update at this point.

newdroidx
09-05-2010, 01:43 PM
Update need update now

hatemyEXlovemyX
09-06-2010, 12:05 PM
Frankly I am getting quite irritated with Motorola/Verizon about the delay of this update. The current release (2.1 update 1) is full of bugs. One of the most annoying is with the keyboard; whenever you type something like "I just spent $3 on that ..." you get "I just spent$ 3 on that ...". Whenever you enter a character it erases the preceding space; REALLY ANNOYING. Also, at random times it just decides to drop wireless and go to 3G (I only care for reasons of battery conservation). I have tried leaving my phone in performance mode, or I use Smart and set the time frame to shut down communications to be from 2AM to 7AM. No help. There are a few more minor issues. Personally, I think they are looking at ripping out the froyo feature to allow wireless tethering so that they can keep charging for that at a rate of $20 / month. Since that is a feature of the OS, they either should not have taken on the Android OS or just leave it alone! The Droid X was supposed to release with 2.2 on it, but they bumped up the release date of the phone a little to time well against the iPhone release. So, they should have maintained priority on 2.2 for this phone, but instead pushed out 2.2 for both the Droid and Droid 2. Even HTC has it's update for the Incredible ahead of their promised schedule and they have a much weightier Sense UI. In short, Motorola has put its priorities elsewhere. They better get them set straight .... I am getting very tempted by the leaked update at this point.

I find your reasoning logical. It is pathetic how they put the DX @the bottom of their priority list considering we've had delay after delay after delay on the DXs whole unorganized launch! They can't even let us know what's going on with the freaking update!! Hellooo its already September 6! Stop playing with our emotions Motorola! How early is early Setember?? After all the $$$$$$ is in their banks they want to lagg like a Mf. All I am sure of is this FROYO better make my Dx print conterfit bills because this is wack!

P.S. Yea "the$ 1 bug" is ridiculous.

eric eakin
09-06-2010, 12:23 PM
9/22 is the last day of summer, also happens to be my birthday.... I'm hoping for a birthday present! ;)

didiwags
09-06-2010, 01:00 PM
9/22 is the last day of summer, also happens to be my birthday.... I'm hoping for a birthday present! ;)
Well I hope it is an early birthday present for you lol :) I don't want to wait till the 22nd. Last day of summer would kind of suck.

Ghostrecon
09-06-2010, 01:23 PM
I can't wait for the update to drop as well. But I don't really like the looks of the new unlock tabs compared to what we have now.

crkkes
09-06-2010, 04:12 PM
come on verizon. I'm getting rather disgruntled at this point. if its not out by friday, leaked version it is.

psychotic_penguin
09-06-2010, 04:48 PM
I'm thinking the same.....where's the promised update?

I'd prefer to wait until they have all the bugs ironed out than install some POS that was rushed to make an imaginary deadline.

ryant35
09-06-2010, 05:13 PM
This came out today:

Verizon Motorola Droid 2 gets custom ROM, Droid X Froyo upgrade delayed Unwired View (http://www.unwiredview.com/2010/09/06/verizon-motorola-droid-2-gets-custom-rom-droid-x-froyo-upgrade-delayed/)

[QUOTE=In other Droid-related news, the Android 2.2 Froyo update for the Motorola Droid X (http://www.unwiredview.com/2010/08/05/verizon-motorola-droid-x-will-get-android-2-2-froyo-by-early-september/) has apparently been delayed by about 2-3 weeks.[/QUOTE]

hatemyEXlovemyX
09-06-2010, 09:05 PM
This came out today:

Verizon Motorola Droid 2 gets custom ROM, Droid X Froyo upgrade delayed Unwired View (http://www.unwiredview.com/2010/09/06/verizon-motorola-droid-2-gets-custom-rom-droid-x-froyo-upgrade-delayed/)

Wooow this news makes me want to take a dump at their doorstep! That's how disgusted I am.

hatemyEXlovemyX
09-07-2010, 12:43 AM
I can't wait for the update to drop as well. But I don't really like the looks of the new unlock tabs compared to what we have now.

I agree with you. I don't like the square, all blue design. I wouldn't really mind it if I could customize the color though..

tower101
09-07-2010, 11:42 AM
This came out today:

The culprit seems to be a bug in Exchange that causes wiping of security policies when upgrading from 2.1 to 2.2. While this may be of no interest to you (if you don’t use Exchange), it’s a pretty big problem to have in the enterprise space (if your business depends on Exchange).

I can confirm that the leaked 2.2 does indeed have this problem, not that I am complaining as I did not like having to put in a password every time I unlocked my phone.

asawyer13
09-07-2010, 12:15 PM
This came out today:

If you look at the article that talks about the actual delay, that was back on Aug 5, so there is no new delay that I see.

ryant35
09-07-2010, 12:43 PM
If you look at the article that talks about the actual delay, that was back on Aug 5, so there is no new delay that I see.

The article is dated yesterday, and I don't see any other date in there.

asawyer13
09-07-2010, 12:49 PM
The article is dated yesterday, and I don't see any other date in there.

@Ryant35
The article from yesterday says it's been delayed 2-3 weeks, however it references his article from Aug 5, so I see nothing that says that we shouldn't expect the uipdate the "first part of September" just like everyone else is saying.

Maybe I missed something, but I don't think so.

Veldy
09-07-2010, 11:04 PM
We are entering mid-September and we have the only major new phone without 2.2 froyo. Motorola and Verizon have clearly prioritized the Droid and Droid 2. Even the HTC Incredible got it's update earlier than promised and they have the complex Sense UI to integrate where the Moto version of the UI (often called Blur Lite) is much closer to the basic Andoid UI. IMHO there is no excuse for the delay... the phone was supposed to release with it!

omnicious
09-07-2010, 11:09 PM
Umm...no...Moto never said the X would release with Froyo. The Droid and Incredible got it cause they were released earlier. Technically they have waited longer. Droid 2 is in the category of phones that comes with 2.2 which the X was never claimed to be. The excuse for the delay is apparently problems with Exchange and 2.2 not playing nicely so yes there is an excuse. And I think HTC has always had a leg up when it came to being easier to upgrade to new firmware. Correct me if I'm wrong about that.

Veldy
09-08-2010, 12:34 AM
The Droid X was indeed to release with froyo. They moved the release day up to jump on the release iPhone 4.0. Doing so meant sticking to 2.1.

I think the hangup may be wireless tethering. They may be removing it from froyo so that the can continue to sell there $20 20GB plan. To enforce this, they may be working very hard to avoid rooting and adding the feature back. Admittedly, this is just a hunch.

Show
09-08-2010, 01:17 AM
I'm running 2.2 leaked of course on a DroidX. There is indeed some bugs that need to be worked out. So honestly I can understand the delays.

jbuffethed
09-08-2010, 10:14 AM
As much as I want Froyo, I think I will wait for the official release.

rubi22
09-08-2010, 10:25 AM
why don't the folks that want froyo just download the leaked version and switch back once the official release is being s sent out? Is it not going to be that easy?

mastertech007
09-08-2010, 10:30 AM
I don't use Exchange and most others probably do not either. Send 2.2 out and work on the Exchange issue, then update again.
I want it NOW !!!

hatemyEXlovemyX
09-09-2010, 11:21 AM
Im going to jinx myself, "This 2.2 OTA better not come tonight while I'm at the club getting numbers!" There we go lOl.

That would kind of suck...

KevenW
09-09-2010, 07:06 PM
i doubt it'll be here anytime soon.......

psychotic_penguin
09-09-2010, 08:16 PM
Maybe by the end of September at this point. Then again it could happen anytime before that it's just a waiting game and we're just puppets

Haspula
09-09-2010, 08:49 PM
If you install froyo will you lose all your contacts, apps, information on your device??

hollovoid7
09-09-2010, 10:48 PM
If you install froyo will you lose all your contacts, apps, information on your device??

No sir, most everything should carry over.. some apps may not work right if they are not froyo compatible yet, but most all will.
Cheers!

Vancelot
09-09-2010, 11:04 PM
I don't use Exchange and most others probably do not either. Send 2.2 out and work on the Exchange issue, then update again.
I want it NOW !!!

There might be more than you think that use Exchange. I for one use it constantly and would appreciate any improvements.

TV1
09-11-2010, 08:12 PM
I use Exchange for my corporate account and for a couple client accounts.

Uncle Chan
09-12-2010, 10:27 AM
My Verizon rep told me that unofficially, he heard it was going to be rolled-out a week from today (9/19).

So, I rooted my X with Universal Androot. If memory serves, I will have to unroot it before the update. And, I won't be able to reroot it with Androot until a version is available that will work with Froyo and the new kernel. Correct?

newdroidx
09-12-2010, 05:34 PM
Yeah this is starting to piss me off already. I had the 2.2 v but it became very unstable for me. Went back to 2.1 with hopes that it would be anyday (that was 2 weeks ago) Im also wondering about having to unroot?? before OTA???? or keep root and when ota comes we will just lose root????? ANYONE?????

herdnerd
09-13-2010, 12:30 PM
My Verizon rep told me that unofficially, he heard it was going to be rolled-out a week from today (9/19).

The Verizon rep I talked to Saturday told me they had started pushing the update a week ago. I told her she owed me a DX t shirt because she didn't know what she was talking about. I didn't get one. :(

D.Casimiro
09-13-2010, 02:32 PM
just want to add a quick post. fyi I spoke with a teir 2 rep today due to having some trouble with my X. He asked if I got the 2.2 ota update yet. So I asked if it was out yet and he said yes it's been coming out in tiers. So I've been checking every 5mins..lol

armedmonkey
09-13-2010, 03:00 PM
I wonder if we will have to downgrade back to 2.1 if we are on the first leaked Frito build. In order to see the update, I mean

DebianDog
09-13-2010, 03:03 PM
I wonder if we will have to downgrade back to 2.1 if we are on the first leaked Frito build. In order to see the update, I mean

Yes unless you want to wait a few hours for the hackers to push one out. ;)

Swyped on my X

D.Casimiro
09-13-2010, 03:10 PM
Yes, you have to be on stock 2.1 and not rooted etc. I've been checking my phone every so often so as soon as I get it I will post. What suprises me though is no one has posted in any forums that they recieved the offical ota 2.2. Don't know why he would say that if it wasn't rolling out though.

ToeJamm57
09-13-2010, 03:13 PM
From what I've read 2.2 may not be out for another month. They are pushing out 2.2 for other Droid phones but not the DX. A friend of mine got 2.2 for the Incredible last week.

armedmonkey
09-13-2010, 03:24 PM
Is the release that got leaked a couple days ago the ota maybe?

DebianDog
09-13-2010, 03:28 PM
Is the release that got leaked a couple days ago the ota maybe?

Gosh I hope not.

Swyped on my X

D.Casimiro
09-13-2010, 03:45 PM
the rep just asked if I got the 2.2 update yet I said no why is it out yet. he said yes it's been coming out in tiers I wouldn't thikn he was talking about the leak version.

CBGOODMAN200A
09-13-2010, 05:28 PM
Guessing he lost track of which phone he was talking about.

theecigarman
09-14-2010, 04:42 AM
I figure I will wait until i get the popup on my screen. I went through the update manually, then needed an app that I couldn't get anywhere without being signed by the right build and had to rollback. All that and I am on a mac. I dusted off the Vista 64 bit :mad: and figured it out. I am so not going through that again......