PDA

View Full Version : Returning to stock rom on Droid X2 (plus a few more newbie questions)

GooeyGungan
12-08-2011, 11:07 PM
Hi,

Like the title says, I'm a newbie (first post! yay!), so I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place or if I ignored anything important. I promise that I have, in fact, made an honest effort to google this information up before asking.

I love to tinker with my gadgets, and I just got a Droid X2. I've rooted it, installed Titanium Backup and the bootstrap system restore app from here (Droid X2 System Recovery + Instruction - xda-developers (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1169677)). I've backed up everything with Titanium Backup and I've done backups of both my internal and external storage with the bootstrap app.

First, what do the backups I made with each of those apps store, specifically? I've got a general idea, but I looked around and couldn't find any specific information.

Second, I want to flash a new ROM just to mess around with my phone and see what I like best, but I'm worried about returning to the stock ROM later. I found ways to make backups (Clockwork ROM manager) with the Droid, Droid 2, and Droid X, but none about the Droid X2. How much of that carries over? Will the backups I made suffice?

I just want to make sure I've covered all my bases before I mess anything up.

Thanks!
-GG

EDIT: One more question. How much of what's stored on my phone will carry over when I flash a new ROM and how much will I have to restore? Or, I suppose, how much can be restored? Thanks again!

Nemo aeternamn
12-08-2011, 11:21 PM
glad to see ya here... let's see how much clarification i can give ya on this...

1. titanium backs up your apps and data... so like texts calles and what not.... where as bootstrap... makes a system image of the phone so it backs up everything exactly how it is... it's a good idea to have both... because a nandroid(back up made in bootstrap{the system recovery app}) will put you back to where you are... as opposed to titanium... will re-install your apps on a new base/rom...

2. to get back on to stock... you can use the back up you made threw the bootstrap... or you can sbf(a process to put the phone back to out of the box condition to clean it up or fix it) and both will get you back to stock

3. when you flash a rom... usually you whipe everything... so your phone will boot up with nothing... then you will need to re install everything... most things are just fine to restore from rom to rom... just don't restore system app/data while on gingerbread... it really doesn't like that... and i believe with titanium... it's the stuffs in red that are system