PDA

View Full Version : Best App for Audio books?

dordale
08-19-2010, 01:33 PM
Hi all--
I'm new here and new to the Droid X. So far, I'm loving it.

Hopefully someone here can point me in the right direction...

I listen to a lot of audio books and am wondering what the best media player for those would be. I have quite a few audio books with longer tracks, so I'd like the application to be able to remember my place in both the current album and the individual track. I don't want to pause playing then come back and have to search for where I'm at in the book I'm currently listening to.

I am a member of audible.com and already have their application installed, but I also have quite a few audio books in mp3 format that I would also like to be able to listen to.

Thanks for any suggestions and advice!

dordale :)

ToeJamm57
08-23-2010, 12:22 PM
I just got MortPlayer Audiobooks (Beta) from Market Place and it seems to work well. It allows you to bookmark (even auto-bookmarks for you) and it folder based rather than tag based. In my opinion it makes it easier for me to find my audiobooks since they are not confused with the music files I have on my Droid X. Since this is a beta application it may be buggy but I haven't noticed anything yet (but I've only had it a couple days).

Good luck.

ToeJamm57
09-15-2010, 10:48 AM
My only criticism of MortPlayer is the homescreen widget. The controls are confusing and it needs some work.

trogdor
09-15-2010, 12:13 PM
I am also interested in this subject...

BTRay
01-09-2011, 04:16 PM
I am also interested in this topic. I'm retired. I do a good bit of yardwork and woodworking. I like to listen to an audiobook while in my woodworking shop, working in the yard, or doing home improvement--my wife sometimes questions whether the completed project is actually an improvement, but that's a different story. I also listen to books when I'm driving. I have all the books on my iPod, but it's easier to just carry the Droid X. About a third of my audiobooks come from Audible. Probably a third from Barnes & Noble, and the remainder from CDs (either library or purchased). I like Audible's Android app fine, but it only works with Audible books. I would like a player for my mp3 books as well, but I'm not sure which one to use. Has anyone used the Ambling BookPlayer Pro? Other suggestions?

If I don't hear any other suggestions, of find a different app in the next couple of days, I'll get the Ambling BookPlayer Pro, try it, and provide some feedback here in the next few days if anyone else is interested.

T3P_Guy
01-14-2011, 10:46 PM
Mortplayer is all I use for my audiobooks, it being folder based works great for me since I also listen to lots of music as well so for the music I use Mixzing since I can select which folders for it to use to find music so that I don't end up with random bits of books in my random playlists when I'm listening to tunes...

MortPlayer is also very very good about autobookmarking. I haven't had it loose my place in a book yet even after a bunch of updates and whatnot.

psychotic_penguin
01-14-2011, 11:27 PM
Anyone use Overdrive?

BTRay
01-16-2011, 05:07 PM
Well, I said I’d download the Ambling BookPlayer Pro, but after reading recent reviews, I decided against that for now. If you read many of the BookPlayer Pro reviews, you’ll notice it received very good reviews until the last version update. I’m going to try to wait for the NEXT update that corrects or rolls back these new problems. If and when I get it, I’ll post my comments.

In the interim, I’ve downloaded the MortPlayer. I have had few problems or complaints with it. Those may be due to my lack of familiarity with the player. I like the navigation, the console looks good and it seems intuitive. It stops playing when I get an incoming call. I noticed that when I have the Droid plugged into my car stereo system, it stops the player and answers the call automatically. I could talk and the caller could pick up my voice through the Droid mic. The caller’s voice comes through the speakers. I don’t know if this is an Android feature or part of the MortPlayer. One annoying problem is after stopping the player and then returning again later, most times all is wonderful, but sometimes it sends me to the folder containing the audiobook and doesn’t seem to know which file it was playing. I’ve had to relocate my place several times. This may be something I’m doing wrong. But, the help file is not very helpful. It also has grammatical errors. If the person that created this app would like assistance (gratis) with the help file, email me at ray@engr.siu.edu. I would give this app a weak 4 out of 5.

dstevensva
01-16-2011, 08:33 PM
Anyone use Overdrive?

I use Overdrive all the time. I borrow a lot of books from the library and this is the app that is used. Works great for MP3 files. I use my walkman for WMA files. Overdrive will let you download from the library directly to your Droid X.

RolandDeschain
01-21-2011, 12:20 PM
I don't listen to audio books, but I read plenty of regular books on my Droid X and I use Moon+ Reader, which I know also supports audio books. It is the most complete, feature-heavy, customizable ebook reader on the market. By a LARGE margin. It's flat-out amazing, go give it a shot.

BTRay
03-04-2011, 08:26 PM
I'm still using MortPlayer six weeks later. I've listened to several books on it. I really have no complaints with the player. I also use the Audible player. I like it a little better, especially having the 30sec rewind button. But, MortPlayer is more than acceptable. My one complaint with the entire audio system is the built in music player. If I use any kind of headphones with a start/stop button, pressing the button will start the built in player maybe one time in two or three. That goes for MortPlayer and Audible. But, the worst is PowerAmp. It seems like if I even look at PowerAmp the built in player will start. I finally uninstalled PowerAmp. Sometimes the built in player starts even when inserting the headphones. I cannot find any controls that stop the @%$^&* built in player.

MinnyManda
07-20-2012, 07:20 AM
I've also been looking for a good folder based audiobook app. I'm trying MortPlayer right now and it's got a lot of great features. However, I'm having one very big problem. When listening to a book and the screen turns off (to save battery) the player will finish the track it's on and then pause. As soon as I reactivate the screen, the player automatically resumes playing. But this is very annoying.

I cannot find the preference I need to change to make this work properly. I have already selected "stop after folder" instead of "stop after track". Can anyone help me?