PDA

View Full Version : HTC Faces Possible Import Ban This December; Google's Android Could Be Next

dgstorm
12-06-2011, 12:16 PM
http://static.droidnetwork.net/dgstorm/df/apple-vs-htc-and-android.png

Although Samsung scored a victory against Apple's lawsuits recently, things are looking grim for HTC, and in fact, if things get worse, it could have far reaching consequences for Android in general. In July, an ITC administrative law judge ruled that HTC was in violation of two of Apple's patents. HTC appealed the decision, and that appeal (which was originally scheduled to be heard today, December 6th) will be heard on December 14th. If the judge rules in Apple's favor, it could have dire ramifications.

What makes this situation so important is the particular patents that are being infringed upon. These patents are at the very core of Android OS design. For reference, here are the patents:

U.S. Patent No. 5,946,647 on a "system and method for performing an action on a structure in computer-generated data" (in its complaint, Apple provides examples such as the recognition of "phone numbers, post-office addresses and dates" and the ability to perform "related actions with that data"; one example is that "the system may receive data that includes a phone number, highlight it for a user, and then, in response to a user's interaction with the highlighted text, offer the user the choice of making a phone call to the number")
U.S. Patent No. 6,343,263 on a "real-time signal processing system for serially transmitted data" (while this sounds like a pure hardware patent, there are various references in it to logical connections, drivers, programs; in its complaint, Apple said that this patent "relates generally to providing programming abstraction layers for real-time processing applications")

The problem is, because these patents are so broad and general, if HTC ends up having infringed upon them, then so has every other manufacturer that uses Android. Here's a statement from FOSS Patent's, Florian Mueller that he wrote after last summer's ruling,
"Google's Android mobile operating system is in serious trouble. It's hard to see how any Android device could not infringe [the patents], or how companies could work around them."The worst case scenario for HTC is that their Android products could be banned from import just before the holiday season here in the United States, and Apple could then take HTC to a separate court system to sue for monetary damages. Of course, they could opt to license their patents to HTC , but that hasn't exactly been their behavior in the past. Ultimately, a defeat for HTC could mean Apple would be going after Google directly to halt the Android operating system entirely.

Thanks to our tipster in the forums, Zathus (http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-general-discussions/185999-not-good-news-android.html)!

Source: CNNMoney (http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2011/12/05/top-android-phone-maker-faces-u-s-import-ban-tuesday/) and FossPatents (http://fosspatents.blogspot.com/2011/12/itc-postpones-ruling-on-apples-first.html)

gbrinn
12-06-2011, 08:06 PM
More ridiculous abuse of the patent system. Those are stupid.

DirtyDroid
12-06-2011, 08:22 PM

Agreed

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

Leach19m
12-06-2011, 08:30 PM
Agreed

DRaulie2003
12-06-2011, 09:03 PM
Apple is just getting scared of losing out to Android and therefore admitting that Android is far superior to Apple.

tycoon177
12-06-2011, 09:29 PM
Apple is just getting scared of losing out to Android and therefore admitting that Android is far superior to Apple.

True but this still makes me nervous for what's next. I mean they do have patents so they can bring legality into the picture

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Criminology
12-07-2011, 12:15 AM
:cry:

Chocobubba
12-07-2011, 12:30 AM
I don't want to live on this planet anymore

~PheoniX the Droid X relayed this for me.

jareeb
12-07-2011, 04:18 PM
another reason to hate apple

V1215
12-07-2011, 04:37 PM
So this is a scenario of, "If you can't beat 'em, sue 'em?" Pathetic.

NITRO2
12-07-2011, 04:46 PM
I hate apple with a passion. Now my employer is switching our work phones from Evo's to iPhones :/ good thing I've got my Droid

gbrinn
12-07-2011, 05:36 PM
So this is a scenario of, "If you can't beat 'em, sue 'em?" Pathetic.

Not the first instance of this from Apple, either.

Chocobubba
12-07-2011, 10:35 PM
Not the first instance of this from Apple, either.

Won't be the last either. Next they are going to patent voice command programs -.-

I wouldn't be surprised if the higher ups at apple are paying loads just to get away with this legal load of bull.

gbrinn
12-08-2011, 09:20 PM
If you can't beat 'em, sue 'em (to death) .

chuck54
12-08-2011, 09:54 PM
Well then if all the Android phones become banned, imagine all the chaos that will happen with apple when we all migrate to apple and annoy the living crap out of them (haha jk)!! Then what can they do? Sue the whole android community when there are no androids left?

And plus, without our innovation for idea and creativness to put it in a ROM for all of us to enjoy, they would be without a couple of ideas they need to sell their phones.

And, if America, the worlds 2nd leading nation of cellphones usage, where would our economy go? Into the iToilet? Well, Steve (or whoever that Guy that made apple that died) would have NEVER asked for that! I hope this is read by them because I have more if needed.

Talon66721
12-08-2011, 10:06 PM

Have to agree with this statement all the way! What are the current market share numbers for us, apple, and rim now? Been a few months since I actually looked at them, but last I did, Android had a nice lead on both. We were in the mid-30% area and they were both in the mid-20% area. (I know that's not the right way to put those, but it gets the point across. Lol.) They should be scared.

So, anyway, back to the matter at hand. Have we got any lawyers on this forum that could give us some insight as to what this could mean to us potentially for the future? Will Android have to be shut down and tossed in the can, or pay up to carry on, or what? Sorry, law isn't my area of expertise, but I'm really kinda curious now. I don't want to give up my Droid! Thanks.

Talon66721
12-08-2011, 10:07 PM
Well said, Chuck! Great planning for the future if need be!

Leach19m
12-08-2011, 10:13 PM
In Steve Jobs biography he apparently stated that he is not interested in any amount of money from Android; he wants to destroy it. He felt that Android stole basically everything it is from Apple...who knows how valid that is. Personally, I disagree about them stealing anything from apple. Apple may have started the smart phone revolution with touch screens and all that but it's more of a concept than anything. The idea of icons to perform actions, swiping to unlock, IMO, isn't a patentable thing; It's too generic.

As far as market shares and activations go. You have to remember that apple releases a phone every year or so, and they are the only manufacturer with a device with iOS...an android phone is released about every week and there are dozens of manufacturers; so the numbers may be a little skewed. The iPhone 4S has been on back order pretty much constantly since it has been released, so take that for what it's worth.

As far as money goes......apple has something like 40 Billion dollars. Also consider the income from iTunes that would likely continue to bring in millions every month regardless of what happened to the iPhone. So they're in no danger of crashing and burning or going out of business.

Also remember, if the iPhone was never invented, chances are that Android as it exists today likely wouldn't exist at all.

Who'da thunk phones would have been such a polarizing issue.

Talon66721
12-08-2011, 10:25 PM
Very good and valid points, Leach. I just don't want to worry about Android getting squashed. I don't want to be told what to like on my phone, which is what Apple does imo.

Leach19m
12-08-2011, 10:30 PM
I don't think that Apple will be able to put Android in the ground. This patent war, I think, brought the flaws of our patent system to light for a lot of people. So a patent reform likely isn't too far away. Also, Apple isn't winning all their battles, and when they do, there are ways around it (the Galaxy Tab 10.1N for example after the 10.1 was banned in Europe).

If Apple really wanted to go after Android and honestly believed they had a chance at winning or had any real solid ground to stand on with their law suits, they would go after Google instead of the manufacturers. It's a shame that they can't just compete honestly and let their products do the talking. I may be the vast minority here, but I actually like iPhones...they are great devices; it's just a different ball o' wax compared to an Android device.

cory46
12-08-2011, 10:32 PM
Android won't be killed :) maybe if things get bad enough broken up and rebranded

Have any of you seen the first Android prototype? Mixture of BlackBerry Palm phones

Edit: http://www.infosyncworld.net/resources/products/google/google_android_prototype_i00.jpg

This first sdk had keyboard like above and full touchscreen support like Nokia / HTC already offered in 2007 BEFORE release of the iPhone but iPhone hit the market first and brought the all touch phones into popularity and in turn the change in design for Android

chuck54
12-09-2011, 03:17 PM
This is kinda scary, like a massacre

fernbch
12-09-2011, 04:21 PM
After reading this I like Apple.even less. Not that I liked them to begin with.

Into the VorteX

DroidXSkywalker
12-10-2011, 10:43 AM
As everyone can see, there is a war going on between Apple and Droid. It's like WWIII to me, except it's between smartphone instead of innocent people. I have sided with Droid, and I've enlisted with the "DROID Army for life. I think Droid will win this war in time, however it's not going to be an easy war, as both Droid and Apple are large businesses. But with the way Apple is going with their lawsuit addiction, it could go either way so there really is no telling what will happen.

DroidXSkywalker
12-10-2011, 10:51 AM
Apple needs to admit they're not the best anymore, and knock this crap off, cuz all it's going to do us get them in financial trouble, and they'll really lose the war against Droid. When people get greedy like Apple, financial issues arise. That's probably why our economy is a mess. Apple is so greedy that they have more money than the US government. I guess we know where all the missing money is. People need to realize that they need to appreciate what they have and learn to make do with it. I think if every person had a DROID Does phone, well almost, the world would be a better place, cuz Apple would really lose the war

Talon66721
12-11-2011, 06:05 PM
I don't think Apple will be happy until they have a complete monopoly on the cell phone front. It's really sad and pathetic of them, imo, that they feel they need to do this instead of just competing with Android on a fair playing field. We need competition to give us the urge to improve upon what we have. If there's no competition, then they give us just the bare minimum necessary. How is that acceptable? It'll be like cable is now. They are only allowed in certain areas for the most part, with no overlapping, so there's no competition, so we get lousy service. Also, if they are so sure of their superiority, then why are they continually filing lawsuits over this dumb stuff? Maybe if they could get some of the creative and amazing devs that we have here, they wouldn't have to be so worried.

Sorry, just blowing off some steam, I guess. It just irritates me no end that it seems like anyone who ends up with any kind of power turns into a toddler. Corporations, Congress, the kid that got picked on in school who turned into a cop to bully back. You know. Just really frustrating that they can't grow up and play nice.

DroidXSkywalker
12-11-2011, 09:11 PM
I don't think Apple will be happy until they have a complete monopoly on the cell phone front. It's really sad and pathetic of them, imo, that they feel they need to do this instead of just competing with Android on a fair playing field. We need competition to give us the urge to improve upon what we have. If there's no competition, then they give us just the bare minimum necessary. How is that acceptable? It'll be like cable is now. They are only allowed in certain areas for the most part, with no overlapping, so there's no competition, so we get lousy service. Also, if they are so sure of their superiority, then why are they continually filing lawsuits over this dumb stuff? Maybe if they could get some of the creative and amazing devs that we have here, they wouldn't have to be so worried. Sorry, just blowing off some steam, I guess. It just irritates me no end that it seems like anyone who ends up with any kind of power turns into a toddler. Corporations, Congress, the kid that got picked on in school who turned into a cop to bully back. You know. Just really frustrating that they can't grow up and play nice.Don't worry, there's nothing wrong with saying how you feel. I really hate Apple. Their service really sucks. They take forever to take your call and if they actually reply to your emails, they take forever. I'm happy I made the right choice by choosing DROID over them. Apple acts like they're better than everyone, which they're not

DroidXSkywalker
12-11-2011, 09:27 PM
Very good and valid points, Leach. I just don't want to worry about Android getting squashed. I don't want to be told what to like on my phone, which is what Apple does imo. Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X ForumsI DON'T WANT TO GIVE UP MY DROIDX! IF APPLE CAUSED ME TO, I'LL GET VERY SICK FROM THE STRESS OF IT HAPPENING, DUE TO MY HEALTH. IF APPLE TAKES OUT DROID, I COULD SICK ENOUGH FROM MY SEVERE HEALTH ISSUES THAT I MIGHT NOT MAKE IT. MY DROIDX IS MY PROZAC AND MY PAIN MEDICINE, SO WITHOUT IT I WILL HAVE PAIN SO SEVERE THAT I WOULD END UP BEING REALLY SICK IN HOSPITAL. APPLE YOU ARE MAKING A HUGE MISTAKE BY MESSING WITH DROID OS, CUZ DROID IS ALOT STRONGER THAN YOU THINK. DROID IS GOING TO KNOCK YOU OUT OF THE SMARTPHONE WORLD SOMEDAY, SO YOU MIGHT AS WELL QUIT WHILE YOU CAN. Sorry to sound hysterical, but the thing that upsets me the most is anyone talking bad about DROID or messing with DROID.

DroidXSkywalker
12-11-2011, 09:32 PM
I DON'T WANT TO GIVE UP MY DROIDX! IF APPLE CAUSED ME TO, I'LL GET VERY SICK FROM THE STRESS OF IT HAPPENING, DUE TO MY HEALTH. IF APPLE TAKES OUT DROID, I COULD SICK ENOUGH FROM MY SEVERE HEALTH ISSUES THAT I MIGHT NOT MAKE IT. MY DROIDX IS MY PROZAC AND MY PAIN MEDICINE, SO WITHOUT IT I WILL HAVE PAIN SO SEVERE THAT I WOULD END UP BEING REALLY SICK IN HOSPITAL. APPLE YOU ARE MAKING A HUGE MISTAKE BY MESSING WITH DROID OS, CUZ DROID IS ALOT STRONGER THAN YOU THINK. DROID IS GOING TO KNOCK YOU OUT OF THE SMARTPHONE WORLD SOMEDAY, SO YOU MIGHT AS WELL QUIT WHILE YOU CAN. Sorry to sound hysterical, but the thing that upsets me the most is anyone talking bad about DROID or messing with DROID.Ok, now Apple has gotten me so fired up, that I'm going to go drink some homemade eggnog, and don't worry its not spiked. I drink it year round, since I make it myself. Again I apologize for going nuts on here. I didn't mean to upset anyone if I did.

DroidXSkywalker
12-11-2011, 09:37 PM
Ok, now Apple has gotten me so fired up, that I'm going to go drink some homemade eggnog, and don't worry its not spiked. I drink it year round, since I make it myself. Again I apologize for going nuts on here. I didn't mean to upset anyone if I did.I'm already critically ill from my health, and Apple doesn't need to make me sicker by killing DROID, cuz my X is the only thing keeping me alive, despite being on a million pills. My doctor even said so.he said if I don't have X, I could get sicker, due to the emotional pain putting severe stresses on me. So if Apple does what they hope to do, it can do alot of harm to alot of people. So hopefully Apple doesn't succeed in killing DROID.

Leach19m
12-12-2011, 01:36 PM
Apple won't take away your X, no matter who they sue or for how much. Worry not, DXS!

redxman
12-12-2011, 01:53 PM
Patents should be more specific. It would be like coke patenting brown fizzy liquid. They might as well go after anyone that writes software for crying out loud. They'll find away to file a lawsuit against open source eventually. Free r and d is criminal in they're eyes. Apple is showing that they are running scared because android is available to the masses not just the well to do.:beer:

gbrinn
12-12-2011, 08:28 PM
Patents should be more specific. It would be like coke patenting brown fizzy liquid.

This is exactly my point. Overly broad, generic patents like "motions to make stuff happen" is just dumb.

DroidXSkywalker
12-12-2011, 09:57 PM
Apple won't take away your X, no matter who they sue or for how much. Worry not, DXS!Thanks, I appreciate it. I get frightened without my X, literally, due to my anxiety

redxman
12-12-2011, 10:19 PM
This is exactly my point. Overly broad, generic patents like "motions to make stuff happen" is just dumb.

All i hear apple saying is stuff and things....kinda like a woman nagging about stuff and things.

Talon66721
12-13-2011, 09:51 PM
Sorry to go off topic for a second here, but a couple of things real quick. Skywalker, thanks so much for the feedback. Makes me feel a bit less out there for getting worked up over Apple's, well you know, even if I can't phrase it as strongy as I would like to on here.

One other thing for you. You said you make your own eggnog? Man, I look so forward to eggnog season all year and hate when it's over. Used to do the home made when I was a kid, but forgot to grab the recipe before I left. (Young and in a hurry, left as soon as I could.) Would you be so kind as to share yours with me? Just pm me if you would. If not, I understand.

Thanks again for the support against Apple!

chuck54
12-13-2011, 09:57 PM
Man, im telling all my teachers to lay off tomorrow and I'll be glued to my phone to see the results ASAP!!! lol tomorrow I have all of my hard classes too.....

DroidXSkywalker
12-14-2011, 03:01 AM
Sorry to go off topic for a second here, but a couple of things real quick. Skywalker, thanks so much for the feedback. Makes me feel a bit less out there for getting worked up over Apple's, well you know, even if I can't phrase it as strongy as I would like to on here. One other thing for you. You said you make your own eggnog? Man, I look so forward to eggnog season all year and hate when it's over. Used to do the home made when I was a kid, but forgot to grab the recipe before I left. (Young and in a hurry, left as soon as I could.) Would you be so kind as to share yours with me? Just pm me if you would. If not, I understand. Thanks again for the support against Apple!Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X ForumsI sent you a PM, an and I know the feeling of wanting to move out of your parents home, cuz not only was I desparate to, but my X and I were kicked out, because my old man told me to get rid of my X and sell it or get the you know what out. I don't want to drop the F-bomb, cuz that's what he really said. Also I was pregnant at the time, but my daughter was too little to survive. But I chose my X over my family and unlike most people, I don't regret it, because I didn't come from a loving home. My father hates smartphones, especially Droids, even though my Mum and I both have the Droid X. He even said he hated me for Droid being part of my name, because my name is Droidlynn. He said if I was younger when I was adopted (which I was 5 when I was), he would've changed my name, but because I had that name from the time I was born, he and Mum allowed me to keep my name as Droidlynn Xena. Kind of a weird name, but some people don't believe that's my name, and I'm not posting my legal info on here, so anyone who doesn't believe me is going to have to act like they do, cuz I'm not posting my legal info on here. And besides I don't have a copy of it. My parents do. I was the one he hated most out of 7children and I'm the youngest and only one who was adopted, so my old man and siblings were always picking on me because of my name, as one of the definitions of Droid is "a stupid person" don't ask where I read that, but my dad said that he read that online. But its also the modern name for a robot and derived from Android. Also they picked on me because I'm disabled, so they called me the R word, and because I'm the only one that came from another family, and because I'm the youngest. They also thought I was psycho, so they were mean to me for that as well. I had to go to a special school for disabled and emotionally challenged children from preschool to 12th grade. I can't be in a mainstreamed class, because I'm very behind in my development. I'm like a little kid when it comes to doing schoolwork. It has to be made fun, interesting and hands on. I still had trouble with understanding the work, but I bareley made it far enough to get a high school diploma. My mental capacity is between a10-12 year old outside of Droid, which I'm not really good at doing stuff unless our has to do with Droids, technology, or fixing stuff. I can't do simple math on my own, unless my X does it for me, and its difficult to write or type efficiently which that's what Swype is for. I'm also good at making stuff from scratch when it comes to cooking, which I look up recipes with my X. I'm also good at video games as long as its either on my Wii or my X. that's why I figured out how to root my X, despite doing it the easy way with a one click app.

SupraRZ95
12-14-2011, 03:58 AM
This is diarrhea. Can't all companies have the same thing but just make it to their liking and not care about who copied what?

gbrinn
12-14-2011, 10:39 AM
This is diarrhea. Can't all companies have the same thing but just make it to their liking and not care about who copied what?

That's the point of open source Android. Apple on the other hand, is proprietary and guards it tighter than Microsoft.

Mike7143
12-14-2011, 11:22 AM
Here comes my $0.02! The patents are really at the heart of the issue here. Just like gbrinn and others have stated, a patent on something so broad is ridiculous and shows how jacked up the patent system is. I hope the system gets a re-work soon. It kind of reminds me of when a few years ago Budweiser made the fan cans; cans that were colors of schools. I went to Purdue and there were articles all over saying Purdue was threatening to sue because Bud was using the black and gold on their cans. How can you own a generic color?! I'd understand if you trademark or whatever a particular color... but a black and gold beer can? Also, they argued it promoted underage drinking which... I guess isn't the worst argument either. Regardless, I hope the patent office gets a clean up. If not, I'm going to go patent the "actions performed to operate a motor vehicle" and stack that cake!

chuck54
12-14-2011, 03:52 PM
The hearing was today wasn't it? What are the results?

Chocobubba
12-14-2011, 06:25 PM
I'm going to patent the art of patenting a broad product, action, or method of doing something.

Call me.. trollolapple.

Talon66721
12-14-2011, 06:58 PM
+1 to all of us here who understand how unrealistic it is to patent anything in such a manner. How does it make any sense to do that? Think the patent office can be bribed like politicians? May explain a lot of this. Lol.

Asharad
12-14-2011, 09:39 PM
This is stupid.

Asharad
12-14-2011, 09:40 PM
Won't be the last either. Next they are going to patent voice command programs -.- I was using Microsoft's voice command software in 1992.

Chocobubba
12-15-2011, 03:08 AM
I was using Microsoft's voice command software in 1992.

But did Microsoft patent it yet?

redxman
12-15-2011, 04:05 PM
The hearing was today wasn't it? What are the results?

Good question

Talon66721
12-15-2011, 05:31 PM
But did Microsoft patent it yet?

That's a good question, too, Choco! As for those wondering as to the outcome at court, from a post I just saw on the home page of the forums here: Wait for it.... Yes! Apple was told to go home and shut up for a minute. At least the judge had some common sense and apparently wasn't bribed by Apple either. Lol. Might be worth going to the front page and reading the post.

Edit: Here's the link to it: http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-news/41087-u-s-judge-denies-apples-request-ban-samsung-galaxy-sales.html

gbrinn
12-15-2011, 09:29 PM
Good call, judge!

Chocobubba
12-16-2011, 12:14 AM
That's a good question, too, Choco! As for those wondering as to the outcome at court, from a post I just saw on the home page of the forums here: Wait for it.... Yes! Apple was told to go home and shut up for a minute. At least the judge had some common sense and apparently wasn't bribed by Apple either. Lol. Might be worth going to the front page and reading the post.

Edit: Here's the link to it: http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-news/41087-u-s-judge-denies-apples-request-ban-samsung-galaxy-sales.html

The justice system just got +1 respect from me. Hoorah!

DroidXSkywalker
12-16-2011, 01:04 AM
I agree. If Apple is suing over their design being copied, that's really absurd, especially since iOs devices only have a HOME button that looks nothing like the Home button on an Android phone. Also iOs's Home button is a square inside a circular button, whereas Android's home button is a house icon. Also unlike iOs, Android has 3 other , buttons besides the home button, which we know are: Menu, Back and Search. If you want to access a menuSearch, or go back on an iOs device, you only can do so if there's a button on the touchscreen. Also if you want to go to your most recently used apps you double tap the Home button. Also the only way to search is to press Home until the Search screen appears. I find the iOs functions less convenient than Droid's. I know I'm a DROID technician, however I used to have the 4th generation iPod touch until I sold it, so I also know iOs's basic functions. I did have my iPod jailbroken, which was difficult to do, which rooting a DROIDX is way easier. I only jailbroke it to bake it look and sound like a DROIDX, because that was before I got X. My original plan was to get the iPhone 4, however I fell in love with the DROIDX, and upgraded to it, and love it, and I'm never switching from the DROIDX series. I just thought you would like to read what I know about iPhone's design, and how Android's design is much different than iOs's design.

Mikey
12-20-2011, 08:53 AM
To above:
From the Home screen you can slidescreen to the left for a search screen.
Been like that since before iOs 3 I think but dont hold me to it.

Yes the Patent system needs work , Theres no doubting that the patent system needs work.
However Do you think that Everything Apple , or Google creates should be free to copy and use?

The law suits are getting annoying , But its also annoying that Samsung has to copy everything Apple does.
If Apple has a patent on it , do you think they should sit on all there money and not try to protect there patents?

Its really funny how people Hate Apple for these patent disputes.
But if it was Google that came out with Android First, Many Android fanatics would be cheering Google on to Put Apple under.

I have an iPhone 4 and Droid X , they are both good phone's for the most part.
Each has there benefits and can Coexist in the same environment !

gbrinn
12-20-2011, 09:03 AM
The big problems are the overly-broad patents that Apple has claimed. They should never have been awarded (especially for some that they didn't really invent). However, another part of the problem for Apple is that Jobs said Android was completely stolen from Apple and he was going to destroy it. There's a huge PR problem for Apple, right there.

The_Bishop
12-20-2011, 11:40 AM
My new "Get Rich" scheme:
Step 1: Patent *everything.*
Step 2: Sue everyone.

Chocobubba
12-20-2011, 07:09 PM
My new "Get Rich" scheme:
Step 1: Patent *everything.*
Step 2: Sue everyone.
Step 3: ????????
Step 4: Profit!!!!

Fixed ^

redxman
12-21-2011, 12:07 PM
The big problems are the overly-broad patents that Apple has claimed. They should never have been awarded (especially for some that they didn't really invent). However, another part of the problem for Apple is that Jobs said Android was completely stolen from Apple and he was going to destroy it. There's a huge PR problem for Apple, right there.

Spot on. But what's going to happen is people(the kind with free will) will get sick of or become more loyal to one brand or another. And these companies can file all the lawsuits they want but at the end of the day, the number of devices in use in the hands of the consumer will dictate the fate of a company. Apple seems to baby step its models to ensure perfect functionality while android can be used on devices taking risk with hardware advances. So back to what i said before, its up to us as consumers to show what's wanted by purchases. Jmho.