PDA

View Full Version : Dire need of SBF 2.3.5 for nTelos

technojunkey
12-02-2011, 07:33 AM
I recently received the OTA for gingerbread but had problems with some of my apps so I decided to SBF back to 2.2 now my X is a paperweight.

Stuck on Bootloader screen with MEM_MAP Blank error. Didn't know you can't SBF to a previous version.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

lexridge
12-02-2011, 05:51 PM
EDIT: Yer right. I tried it myself, and it doesn't work. Doh! Stupid me. Disregard the following.

Just download the second file from this link... Milestone X SBF Files - Droid X SBF (http://sites.google.com/site/1kdsdroidx/home/milestone-x-sbf-files) and flash it with RSDLite. Be sure you are in the bootloader mode, or nothing will happen. ie Power off, remove battery, insert battery, hold down Camera button, volume down and power to turn on. This should bring you to the bootloader. Then, run RSDLite, chose the file (after you decompress it to a .sbf file, then flash. Do ONE update, which will bring you back to v2.2.2. If you want to go back to 2.3.5, just update it again. You SHOULD be able to sbf to an earlier version. I have done it before.

I recently received the OTA for gingerbread but had problems with some of my apps so I decided to SBF back to 2.2 now my X is a paperweight.

Stuck on Bootloader screen with MEM_MAP Blank error. Didn't know you can't SBF to a previous version.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1KDS
12-02-2011, 05:55 PM
^ That is the only file I have for nTelos, let me know if you guys ever get an updated one, I will host it and post it on that page.

lexridge
12-02-2011, 09:55 PM
^ That is the only file I have for nTelos, let me know if you guys ever get an updated one, I will host it and post it on that page.

EDIT: Not 2.2 but the following. Sorry. I now agree with the original poster. 2.3.5 cannot be downgraded, which is what is causing this problem I think.

A v2.3.5 ntelos sbf file would be perfect (or possibly any 2.3.5 generic file that does not contain a VRZ baseband, if you could please put that up.

Thanks

technojunkey
12-03-2011, 03:52 PM
EDIT: Not 2.2 but the following. Sorry. I now agree with the original poster. 2.3.5 cannot be downgraded, which is what is causing this problem I think.

A v2.3.5 ntelos sbf file would be perfect (or possibly any 2.3.5 generic file that does not contain a VRZ baseband, if you could please put that up.

Thanks

Hate to hear you ended up in the same situation as myself. I got fed up and went to my local nTelos store and told them the update killed my phone, not real happy in doing so but I had to do something. For now updated new phone to 2.3.5 rooted and staying away from custom roms until an SBF is available.

I even tried flashing different 2.3 verizon SBF's with no luck, undoubtly it has to be a 2.3.5 SBF or it wont work.

Wish there was a way to extract and create an SBF from a working phone.

1KDS
12-03-2011, 07:23 PM
You can use my ezSBF (http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-sbf/23638-linux-solution-your-windows-rsd-lite-problems.html) file, it utilizes sbf_flash which DOES NOT update the baseband. This will leave you with a Verizon 2.3.4 (IIRC) system with whatever baseband is currently installed. Of course this takes you off any update path that nTelos may have.

jdmm72
12-04-2011, 09:17 AM
In order to sbf to the verizon one, you'd still need a version the same as or greater than the current OTA update. Yes, there is a Verizon version with that revision, but either V or Moto has issued C&Ds to get it taken down. It was .604. The current update is 4.5.604, and if you could get the verizon sbf it might work, but it's not available on the net right now. There is plenty of mention, but if you go to the download links, they all have been removed due to copyright or trademark issues.

It's not the 1.13.604, it's the 4.5.604 sbf.

lexridge
12-04-2011, 03:25 PM
I had to get a new phone too. It is now running 2.2.2 rooted, just so I could restore all my data, and also copy off the 2.3.5 file that it had downloaded to the /cache directory. Just FYI, the filename is Blur_Version.3.2.6.MB809ACG-nTelos.en.US.zip. I will let this upgrade eventually install, but I am curious which method you used to root 2.3.5.

I wonder if it is possible to create a sbf file from this .zip file?

Hate to hear you ended up in the same situation as myself. I got fed up and went to my local nTelos store and told them the update killed my phone, not real happy in doing so but I had to do something. For now updated new phone to 2.3.5 rooted and staying away from custom roms until an SBF is available.

I even tried flashing different 2.3 verizon SBF's with no luck, undoubtly it has to be a 2.3.5 SBF or it wont work.

Wish there was a way to extract and create an SBF from a working phone.

lexridge
12-04-2011, 03:31 PM
Sounds like a great tool! I followed your link, but was only greeted by .iso files. As I already am running Fedora Linux full time, I think I would only need your specific file(s). What would I need to extract from your iso in order to achieve this?

You can use my ezSBF (http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-sbf/23638-linux-solution-your-windows-rsd-lite-problems.html) file, it utilizes sbf_flash which DOES NOT update the baseband. This will leave you with a Verizon 2.3.4 (IIRC) system with whatever baseband is currently installed. Of course this takes you off any update path that nTelos may have.

lexridge
12-04-2011, 03:32 PM
Interesting info. Thanks a lot!

In order to sbf to the verizon one, you'd still need a version the same as or greater than the current OTA update. Yes, there is a Verizon version with that revision, but either V or Moto has issued C&Ds to get it taken down. It was .604. The current update is 4.5.604, and if you could get the verizon sbf it might work, but it's not available on the net right now. There is plenty of mention, but if you go to the download links, they all have been removed due to copyright or trademark issues.

It's not the 1.13.604, it's the 4.5.604 sbf.

1KDS
12-04-2011, 04:22 PM
Sounds like a great tool! I followed your link, but was only greeted by .iso files. As I already am running Fedora Linux full time, I think I would only need your specific file(s). What would I need to extract from your iso in order to achieve this?

A Fedora user, great!
Just go to Droid X SBF (http://bit.ly/droidxsbf), you can grab the sbf file there (left column) then under Linux in the right column you will see sbf_flash, you will be directed to [mbm]'s blog to download his utility. Usage is pretty straight forward, put sbf_flash and your sbf file in the same dir, then:

chmod +x sbf_flash
./sbf_flash (sbf file name here)

lexridge
12-04-2011, 04:39 PM
I already have sbf_flash installed, and have used it successfully, until the last attempt. opps! I guess I meant, what are your mods that prevent the radio baseband from being sent?

A Fedora user, great!
Just go to Droid X SBF (http://bit.ly/droidxsbf), you can grab the sbf file there (left column) then under Linux in the right column you will see sbf_flash, you will be directed to [mbm]'s blog to download his utility. Usage is pretty straight forward, put sbf_flash and your sbf file in the same dir, then:

chmod +x sbf_flash
./sbf_flash (sbf file name here)

1KDS
12-04-2011, 05:00 PM
I didn't mod anything. I talked to the sbf_flash dev [mbm], he said he did not put in any code to update/upgrade/change the baseband because he wasn't comfortable enough with the baseband files, in other words, sbf_flash does not have the capability to change the baseband.

lexridge
12-04-2011, 05:08 PM
oh! Sweet!! that is very good. I was not aware of that. Sorry for my ignorance. :)

I didn't mod anything. I talked to the sbf_flash dev [mbm], he said he did not put in any code to update/upgrade/change the baseband because he wasn't comfortable enough with the baseband files, in other words, sbf_flash does not have the capability to change the baseband.

1KDS
12-04-2011, 05:18 PM
No ignorance at all, I didn't realize this for a long time after using and redistributing sbf_flash in my .iso files. People started reporting that the basebands weren't reverting to the old files when using an SBF older than their currently installed firmware. Eventually I tracked down [mbm] and asked him about it, then he told me it does change them on any device.

lexridge
12-04-2011, 10:58 PM
I assume you meant, "does not" change them.

No ignorance at all, I didn't realize this for a long time after using and redistributing sbf_flash in my .iso files. People started reporting that the basebands weren't reverting to the old files when using an SBF older than their currently installed firmware. Eventually I tracked down [mbm] and asked him about it, then he told me it does change them on any device.

if I were to install a custom ROM at this point...that is, after I manage to root 2.3.5, Do I have to use the same version or greater in order to use it, or can a custom ROM be any version, as long as it is GB?

BTW, I have been using Redhat/Fedora now for at least 10 years. The only computer I have with Windows on it, is an Asus Eee netbook that I rarely use. I should put Linux on that one too, but in the rare occasion I would need Windows, it is nice to have.

1KDS
12-05-2011, 07:08 AM
I assume you meant, "does not" change them.
Yes, my mistake

if I were to install a custom ROM at this point...that is, after I manage to root 2.3.5, Do I have to use the same version or greater in order to use it, or can a custom ROM be any version, as long as it is GB?
Well, all the ROMs you will find here were built for the DX, they were built off of the OTA updates from VZW. Typically the ROM OP says what system to be on when flashing, I would think it would be easiest to use the VZW SBF files to be totally the same as the DX except having your carrier's baseband.

BTW, I have been using Redhat/Fedora now for at least 10 years. The only computer I have with Windows on it, is an Asus Eee netbook that I rarely use. I should put Linux on that one too, but in the rare occasion I would need Windows, it is nice to have.
I have shunned Window$ myself as well, only use it occasionally at work (and I complain the whole time :D)

technojunkey
12-05-2011, 01:55 PM
I had to get a new phone too. It is now running 2.2.2 rooted, just so I could restore all my data, and also copy off the 2.3.5 file that it had downloaded to the /cache directory. Just FYI, the filename is Blur_Version.3.2.6.MB809ACG-nTelos.en.US.zip. I will let this upgrade eventually install, but I am curious which method you used to root 2.3.5.

I wonder if it is possible to create a sbf file from this .zip file?

With 2.3.5 I used SuperOneClick to root... Don't expect the droid x and droid 2 bootstrappers to work, I tried both and it hangs when booting into recovery.

If someone finds a VZW SBF that works for an nTelos 2.3.5 replacement please post info as I'd like to get back on custom roms.

lexridge
12-05-2011, 07:38 PM
Well, all the ROMs you will find here were built for the DX, they were built off of the OTA updates from VZW. Typically the ROM OP says what system to be on when flashing, I would think it would be easiest to use the VZW SBF files to be totally the same as the DX except having your carrier's baseband.

On the Droid 1, I used the Chevy SS ROM. I see that he now has one for DX as well. I always had great luck with his stuff. Perhaps I will try it.

With 2.3.5 I used SuperOneClick to root... Don't expect the droid x and droid 2 bootstrappers to work, I tried both and it hangs when booting into recovery.

I got it rooted today, using SuperOneClick v2.1.1. Worked like a charm! thanks.

cyberhound
12-06-2011, 01:16 PM

If someone finds a VZW SBF that works for an nTelos 2.3.5 replacement please post info as I'd like to get back on custom roms.

Out of curiosity... I noticed that SuperOneClick has an unroot option. Have you tried it? If so, does it work?

technojunkey
12-08-2011, 07:13 AM
Haven't tried to unroot yet.

Sent from my Milestone X using Droid X Forums

lexridge
12-09-2011, 02:39 PM
It works. I tried it.

Haven't tried to unroot yet.

Sent from my Milestone X using Droid X Forums

lexridge
12-10-2011, 01:50 PM
1. Now that I have my v2.3.5 rooted, do I want to use the Droid X Bootstrap, or the Droid 2 Bootstrap? I have read I have to use Droid 2 Bootstrap since this phone is now running GB.

2. Also, do I still need ROM Manager to install ClockWorkMod, or does the Bootstrap do that for me? For that matter, do I need ROM Manager at all anymore? There doesnt seem to be any Droid/Milestone X ROMS available through it anyway.

3. I saved out the nTelos OTA v2.3.5 update package from /cache before I allowed it to install. Is this file worth saving, or is it useless at this point? Also, is it possible to create an SBF from this file?

Thanks

1KDS
12-10-2011, 06:11 PM
1. Now that I have my v2.3.5 rooted, do I want to use the Droid X Bootstrap, or the Droid 2 Bootstrap? I have read I have to use Droid 2 Bootstrap since this phone is now running GB.
Use D2 bootstrap to be safe

2. Also, do I still need ROM Manager to install ClockWorkMod, or does the Bootstrap do that for me? For that matter, do I need ROM Manager at all anymore? There doesnt seem to be any Droid/Milestone X ROMS available through it anyway.
Bootstrap is all you need.

3. I saved out the nTelos OTA v2.3.5 update package from /cache before I allowed it to install. Is this file worth saving, or is it useless at this point? Also, is it possible to create an SBF from this file?
You can save it if you like, however you can only use/flash it if your system is totally stock i.e. no ROM, theme or mods. AFAIK isn't possible to create an SBF.

lexridge
12-10-2011, 06:38 PM
Okay, I tried the Droid 2 Bootstrap. Now when I ask it to reboot to the recovery, it just boots to the red M and stays there until I do a battery pull. It said it was successful, but apparently it was not. I tried it again. Same result.

Is there a way to force it into CWM from holding down any button combination?

Thanks

1KDS
12-10-2011, 08:13 PM
There are a few methods here: http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-rescue-squad/15019-boot-into-recovery-power-off-state.html
I guess I'm not sure when it comes to the MX, I assumed it was the same as the DX when it cane to custom recovery and that you should use D2 bootstrap if you have upgraded to 2.3. If you still have ROM Manager installed you can try using it to boot into recovery and install from there, I have just found that the GUI is unreliable (at least on the DX)

lexridge
12-10-2011, 08:22 PM
I installed Droid X Bootstrap, and that did the trick. It installed CWR 2.5.0.6, I will try to update that to 5.x.x.x using ROM Manager after I finish my nandroid backup :)

I am guessing their might be differences between a new DX w/GB and one that is updated OTA.

There are a few methods here: http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-rescue-squad/15019-boot-into-recovery-power-off-state.html
I guess I'm not sure when it comes to the MX, I assumed it was the same as the DX when it cane to custom recovery and that you should use D2 bootstrap if you have upgraded to 2.3. If you still have ROM Manager installed you can try using it to boot into recovery and install from there, I have just found that the GUI is unreliable (at least on the DX)

lexridge
12-10-2011, 10:33 PM
I have been reading for hours trying to figure out whether I want to flash CWM as 1st or 2nd Init. Nowhere is clear on the issue. Either important version numbers are missing, or versions don't even apply to Milestone X. However, here is what I THINK is correct.....

If I am on a stock 2.3.5 ROM, which I am, I need to flash 1st Init (Droid X)
If I am on, or want to run a 3rd party ROM, I need 2nd Init (Droid X 2nd Init)

I know this information is all out there, and I have read much of it, but none is really clear and concise enough for me to trust it.

Since I finally make CWM work with Droid X Bootstrap, I can only assume this is a 1st init, but I don't know that 100%.

Sorry for the stupid questions....but I am still a bit gun shy after bricking my last DX.

1KDS
12-10-2011, 10:39 PM
If DX Bootstrap installed recovery and it is working I would leave RM alone. Use the clockwork that is installed already

jdmm72
12-12-2011, 03:20 PM
Just remember to be careful, you have no SBF to fall back to after OTA 2.3.5. It it soft bricks, you either have to tell nTelos a fib, or send it to Motorola and pay a service fee to have it reloaded.

cfultz
12-14-2011, 11:26 PM
Don't forget, when boot strapping, take usb development off. Took me awhile to figure this out.

jdmm72
12-16-2011, 01:24 PM
Don't forget, when boot strapping, take usb development off. Took me awhile to figure this out.

Or use bootstrapper for Droid 2 (instead of droid x), like the guides tell you to.

lexridge
12-16-2011, 07:18 PM
Except the Droid 2 Bootstrap did not work for me. The Droid X bootstrap did (with USB Debugging disabled, of course).

Or use bootstrapper for Droid 2 (instead of droid x), like the guides tell you to.

jdmm72
12-20-2011, 10:26 AM
Except the Droid 2 Bootstrap did not work for me. The Droid X bootstrap did (with USB Debugging disabled, of course).

That sucks. I have to use USB debugging for SD Card multi-mount to work. I use the Droid 2 bootstrapper with no issues. But then, again, I'm running 2.2 not 2.3, and will not run 2.3 until a sbf gets released (which may be NEVER).

cfultz
12-31-2011, 09:37 PM
Yeah, finally got mine and my buddy's X on Cyanogen 7. Wanting to test out ICS, might do that tonight.

technojunkey
01-05-2012, 06:51 AM
Still looking for a compatible sbf, I've been without a phone for two weeks now trying to hold out before sending in to Motorola as a last option.

Mbezzle
01-05-2012, 09:46 AM
Hi guys. I was able to get my hands on a complete sbf. I have tested and verified on 3 different Milestone X's. I will try and get this uploaded for you guys when I get off tonight.

Sent from my Milestone using Droid X Forums

technojunkey
01-05-2012, 10:57 AM
Hi guys. I was able to get my hands on a complete sbf. I have tested and verified on 3 different Milestone X's. I will try and get this uploaded for you guys when I get off tonight.

Awesomeness! You just made my day, can't wait to fix my phone!

Thanks!!!!

stevgunt
01-05-2012, 11:30 AM
I would LOVE to get this from you as well, can you post the link to DL? What carrier is it for?

lexridge
01-05-2012, 11:54 PM
Sweet! I want this too!

jdmm72
01-07-2012, 11:21 AM
Okay, so, do you have the sbf or is this a hoax???

technojunkey
01-07-2012, 12:17 PM
Here it is and 100% legit!!! Thanks to Mbezzel we are now able to repair, mine took the sbf without any issues using RSD Lite 4.9. This sbf is for nTelos so enjoy, let me know if something happens to the link and I'll leave it up until 1KDS can post it on his site.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/54532450/1FF-p3a_shadow_cdma_shadow-user-2.3.5-4.5.1_57_MX2-34-111019-release-keys-signed-ntelos-US.sbf.zip

Thanks again Mbezzel, give us your email so we can buy you a beer :big smile:!!!!!!

1KDS
01-07-2012, 05:21 PM
Nice!
I will host this somewhere and post it on the MX SBF page

lexridge
01-07-2012, 11:09 PM
Sweet!! Thank you thank you thank you!!! Now, please, if anyone tries this, report your success/failure. Yipee!!

misfit410
01-09-2012, 07:11 AM
Here it is and 100% legit!!! Thanks to Mbezzel we are now able to repair, mine took the sbf without any issues using RSD Lite 4.9. This sbf is for nTelos so enjoy, let me know if something happens to the link and I'll leave it up until 1KDS can post it on his site.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/54532450/1FF-p3a_shadow_cdma_shadow-user-2.3.5-4.5.1_57_MX2-34-111019-release-keys-signed-ntelos-US.sbf.zip

Thanks again Mbezzel, give us your email so we can buy you a beer :big smile:!!!!!!

I figure I have nothing to lose so I'm testing it, but you can clearly see in the roms name that is for the milestone X2 not the milestone X

*edit* allow me to eat those previous words, it worked.. thanks for that..
for me I had gone back from CM7 to 2.2.2 to get the official update, and I could not get it to acknowledge there was one available, so this saved me.

lexridge
01-09-2012, 09:20 AM
Awesome! Glad to hear it works. Now I can flash without any fears.

misfit410
01-09-2012, 10:31 AM
Hold on, there is a problem.. maybe not huge to most but to me.. it's a problem.

I got it loaded, it worked and I'm in.. however I can't get it rooted so I want to factory reset, the issue is now the bootloader won't work if you hold HOME when you power on.. so I attempt to go back to the original SBF, it won't take because the bootloader is now 30.4... so I'm stuck with no ability to root at all.

technojunkey
01-09-2012, 01:34 PM
Did you try superonelick? I didn't have any issues rooting and in fact I'm already running the newest version of miui. Power + Home works for me just tried it, I get error sign and the little android then hit volume up + down to get into the menu.

I might sbf back tonight to see if has any problems with the bootloader.

You can't go back to froyo, so you will have to stick with gingerbread but you should have no problems rooting. Make sure to unmount sdcard and turn on usb debugging after that and you bootstrop make sure to disable usb debugging. If your trying apps like z4root stick to superonelick it can exploit almost any android device.

misfit410
01-10-2012, 05:37 AM
Super One click did the trick, my boot loader is still messed up, I get the android with the little !, but it stays on that screen no matter what buttons I hit..
I finally got a bootstrapper loaded so hopefully that resolved that issue.

stevgunt
01-10-2012, 07:26 PM
I can confirm it works, I flashed Liberty 2 this evening and after the flash all I got was the boot loader error message. I then proceeded to use the above sbf and now I am back to stock, and the boot loader works as well, after you get the triangle screen you have to press both the volume buttons down together and then you will be in the stock recovery.

stevgunt
01-13-2012, 10:03 AM
Can someone tell me what they have on their stock milestone x for PRL version?

Mbezzle
01-13-2012, 11:19 AM
That depends on what plan you are on with your carrier. Mine is 21101.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums