PDA

View Full Version : OTA Gingerbread Help

JasonMilestonex
11-30-2011, 05:34 PM
I have a Milestone x from cellcom a small carrier in Wisconsin, I bought this phone last summer and put darkslide 4.2 on it. Cellcom recently released Gingerbread OTA update for the phone that I want to try out. So I attempted the update in between each of these next steps. First I restored my nandroid backup of stock froyo, then uninstalled droid bootstrapper and used Root explorer to remove the hijack and logwrapper file and renamed the logwrapper.bin to logwrapper. Also I did a factory reset after all that and the update still failed after rebooting and stopping before progress bar finished. Any ideas?

jmgib
12-01-2011, 08:47 AM
My phone with Appalachian Wireless is doing the same. It's failing a hash check on the logwrapper file, even though it's been renamed back. I'm still trying to work out some way of getting around this.

JasonMilestonex
12-01-2011, 09:26 AM
Thanks, do you get an error saying that its failing a hash check? or did you just figure that part out? My phone doesn't give me an error message until after reboot when it says software update failed.

CLCMilestoneX
12-01-2011, 04:29 PM
I have a Milestone x from cellcom a small carrier in Wisconsin, I bought this phone last summer and put darkslide 4.2 on it. Cellcom recently released Gingerbread OTA update for the phone that I want to try out. So I attempted the update in between each of these next steps. First I restored my nandroid backup of stock froyo, then uninstalled droid bootstrapper and used Root explorer to remove the hijack and logwrapper file and renamed the logwrapper.bin to logwrapper. Also I did a factory reset after all that and the update still failed after rebooting and stopping before progress bar finished. Any ideas?

I have same phone from Element Mobile and have completed the same steps you have with the same results. Pressing the search key when the install starts will present a log of what is happening and allow you to see where it is having the problem. Mine fails when it checks the logwrapper. I have found others with same problem but not a fix yet. Let us know if you learn anything.

jmgib
12-02-2011, 07:58 AM
I was able to manage a way around this yesterday. It took some work, but I was able to extract a pristine "logwrapper" from an SBF and then used Root Explorer to replace the changed logwrapper that was present on the phone. After this, the phone was able to pass the hash check and the update proceeded.

CLCMilestoneX
12-02-2011, 08:40 AM
jmgib...... that is exactly what I have been looking for! Is there any way you could share your extracted file and maybe explain the steps you took? Thanks for sharing your success. I have a generic SBF for north america. Since I'm on a small carrier I am thinking that SBF file may work but am a bit leary of trying a whole SBF as my phone works great right now, just stuck in 2.2.2 due to this logwrapper file. Really want to get this OTA.

jmgib
12-02-2011, 09:17 AM
I'm currently at work but I'll put something up later today.

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk

CLCMilestoneX
12-02-2011, 09:49 AM
I'm currently at work but I'll put something up later today.

Greatly Appreciated! :)

jmgib
12-02-2011, 06:30 PM
I've uploaded the logwrapper file here (http://www.mediafire.com/?zzr3xf8vuueakpr).

Just replace the logwrapper on your phone with this one, and make sure the permissions match (I don't remember off hand what they were, just check the existing one before). It should be located at
/system/bin/logwrapper

If you want to know how I obtained it I used SBF Depacker (http://modmymobile.com/forums/402-general-motorola-android/530781-sbf-depacker-1-3-03-22-2011-a.html) to extract the files out of the .sbf image. You're looking for the /system file, which I believe was number 39. You'll want to use the option to split the files. Then I used Explore2FS (http://www.chrysocome.net/explore2fs) to get to the files inside of file39 which is the /system image. I then just copied out the logwrapper file.

All in all, it wasn't extremely difficult, just took me a good while to do the investigation to find the tools I needed.

CLCMilestoneX
12-02-2011, 08:06 PM
Thank you for sharing your hard work! Your clean / fresh logwrapper file has done the trick for me too. I'm glad you noted to check the permissions as they were different than mine. The OTA update went through with no problems and am now on 2.3.5. Thanks again!

CLCMilestoneX
12-02-2011, 08:10 PM
And as another side note I am surprised that my phone remains rooted. An unexpected bonus.

JasonMilestonex
12-02-2011, 08:19 PM
Did the trick for me too, Thank you very much!

jmgib
12-03-2011, 08:38 PM
Glad it worked for you guys. I actually lost root on my phone, bit I was able to re-root it.

CLCMilestoneX
12-10-2011, 02:40 PM
jmjib........ as it turns out I was only sort of rooted after the OTA. The apps that had been granted SU permissions continued to work just fine. Now that I tried adding some more apps that require SU they are being denied, as if I do not have SU access. So I attempted to root again super one click and it says that it was successful but I can not actually run a rooted program. So then I tried unrooting and it again says that it is successful but SU remains on the phone. I then tried rooting again and it says it is successful but I can not run any apps requiring root, now I can't even run the ones I used to be able to. I then tried a different rooting app called Droid 3. It ran a script and said I was rooted but still can not actually run ant apps requiring root.

Can you tell me the method you used to root once the OTA went through? thanks,

CLCMilestoneX
12-10-2011, 08:46 PM
Ok..... after trying and retrying I finally came across DooMLoRD and I was back rooted on first try.

jmgib
12-14-2011, 05:46 AM
Sorry I hadn't checked in for a few days. That was the method that I used also. Seems to be working well.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

CLCMilestoneX
12-14-2011, 07:04 AM
Did you re-bootstrap? I have read some people had people had trouble with Droid2 Bootstrapper after the ITA. This is the one I used last time for Froyo. Others had success with DroidX Bootstrapper. If you have re-bootstrapped what did you use? I have already made a copy of the new logerapper file for safe keeping. Lol

jmgib
12-14-2011, 07:57 PM
I don't have the bootstrapper installed on mine. I don't currently plan to install any custom ROMs so haven't bothered to install.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

CLCMilestoneX
12-14-2011, 08:27 PM
I hear you, I don't see any current ROM's I want anyway so I was in no rush. I'm just thinking GB is last of the official updates so thinking ahead to possible ICS Rom. We'll see I guess.