PDA

View Full Version : Movie formats

btucker2003
08-18-2010, 08:35 PM
What the best format for a .avi, divx, etc to view on the X? More specifically the Rockplayer media player?

TIA

Garemlin
08-18-2010, 08:58 PM
MPEG4, H.263, H.264 for the native player

Rockplayer supports avi, XviD, MKV, RMVB and divx

btucker2003
08-19-2010, 09:42 AM
MPEG4, H.263, H.264 for the native player

Rockplayer supports avi, XviD, MKV, RMVB and divx

Sooo I can drag a full 700-800 MB movie to the sd card and the rockplayer will play it without formatting the size? What if I dont want such a huge file eating up my sd memory?

DebianDog
08-19-2010, 10:02 AM
Sooo I can drag a full 700-800 MB movie to the sd card and the rockplayer will play it without formatting the size? What if I dont want such a huge file eating up my sd memory?

Convert it? :)

BTW: AVI is a container not a format like MOV or WMV.

I would suggest setting like:

btucker2003
08-19-2010, 10:14 AM
Convert it? :)

BTW: AVI is a container not a format like MOV or WMV.

I would suggest setting like:

What is that screen shot off? A program to format the movie? Sorry man, im a newbie...TIA

DebianDog
08-19-2010, 10:23 AM
Yes it is a Mac program but I am sure they must exist for you Windows users. ;)

Since the Droid is supposed to do DivX (an H.264 variant) very well you might want to play with that one. Start with a short 1 min video and convert it and see what you like best for quaility vs. size.

Here's one I found. Never used it... but it uses many of the open source free stuff out there.

Videora Motorola DROID Converter - Free Motorola DROID Video Converter (http://www.videora.com/en-us/Converter/motorola-droid/)

InfamousDX
08-19-2010, 10:25 AM
I use Handbrake to convert my movie files.

DebianDog
08-19-2010, 10:34 AM

Oh yeah I have used that one it is good.

btucker2003
08-19-2010, 01:02 PM

So I DL'd Handbrake and it said it coverted the movie but for the life of me I have no idea where the crap it is now? I searched the for file and everything...any help?

armedmonkey
08-21-2010, 04:52 PM
can you post the settings you use?

jedge
08-21-2010, 05:10 PM
I've been trying DVD Catalyst or Slysoft's CloneDVDMobile and just following most of the defaults, which results in an .mp4 format of about 600-900mb per ~90min movie.
The quality on the DX is awesome, almost no visual artifacts except during esp. fast content, and almost no visual or audio glitches.

armedmonkey
08-21-2010, 06:33 PM
I am guessing both of those programs are just for ripping dvds to avi?

jedge
08-21-2010, 06:43 PM
I am guessing both of those programs are just for ripping dvds to avi?

Neither is considered a true "ripping" program like AnyDVD as i understand it. They are more converters, reading the DVD contents then converting and formatting the output based on what device you tell it you want to play on.
Though i'm still new to this and the terminology i'm not sure on, for example i know .avi is more a container than a format, but i'm not sure why that's significant.

armedmonkey
08-21-2010, 06:57 PM
do they work on non-dvd files? ie re-encoding avi.

avi as a container format means that it's just a filename and some metadata which may say:

"i use divx" or "i use xvid", blah blah blah. and then actual other formats.

dvdcatalyst
10-01-2010, 10:23 AM
do they work on non-dvd files? ie re-encoding avi.

avi as a container format means that it's just a filename and some metadata which may say:

"i use divx" or "i use xvid", blah blah blah. and then actual other formats.

DVD Catalyst converts almost any (not bluray/dvd "Digital Copies" that need to be activated with WMP or iTunes) video file, including DIVX, AVI, MKV etc. It also does "automatic batch", meaning you can just drag your files onto the program (or a folder containing a bunch of them), select your device and click Go.

joeyjackpot
10-01-2010, 11:38 AM
I have pulled full movies to my handset, dvdrips and bdrips in mkv and avi. Also entire seasons of 30 rock. They look amazing.

saltiva
10-01-2010, 12:50 PM
Why does everyone say the x can't play avi with the native video player. It can and the advantage is that it has the hdmi function. The reason most of your avis aren't playing is improper audio codec or file size and both. I will start a new thread with screen shots to prove this but avis must have mp3 audio and a file size of less than 1.7gb. This will give you plenty of headroom for vid quality. Res is 854x480. And let me tell you the quality is perfect with built in player, on screen or over hdmi and even on rockplayer I prefer the native player though wit hdmi and not using real hdmi.

spyder560
10-03-2010, 04:04 AM
I have pulled full movies to my handset, dvdrips and bdrips in mkv and avi. Also entire seasons of 30 rock. They look amazing.

Did you just drag/drop your mkv files to your X and use Rockplayer? I tried playing a TopGear mkv file using Rockplayer and it won't play smoothly...very jittery and eventually stops.
Is there something else I need to do?

armedmonkey
10-03-2010, 09:12 AM
You could try reading the thread. Looks like you have to reencode.

dvdcatalyst
10-03-2010, 09:25 AM
Jittery usually indicates either too high a bitrate to decode (RockPlayer uses a software-based decoding engine, rather than hardware accelerated) In this case overclocking your X might help, or try turning off things like animated wallpaper.

Another possibility is that the memorycard is too slow to handle the datarate needed to provide RockPlayer with the data to decode.

My guess is the first. If I recall correctly, 720p Top Gear episodes run at 3000+Kbps H264 video. The hardware chip on the Droid X can go higher than that, but it only accepts MP4 files.

joeyjackpot
10-04-2010, 08:35 AM
I got glitchy out of sync play in Rock Player for really high quality files. Long press on the file in the file selection menu of rock player and select "Play (System Mode)" see if that works.