PDA

View Full Version : Cannot Decide On Case. Otterbox Defender vs Seidio Rugged

music_man185
11-27-2011, 03:05 PM
i'm going to get a droid x later this week. i work in construction, so i need a case that will really protect my phone while at work. i've narrowed it down to the otterbox defender and seidio rugged. they both have pros and cons and i would like some input from people who have experience with both.

i like that the seidio has a cover for the camera lens. may get annoying when trying to take pictures, but will protect it never the less. it also seems that the seidio may offer more protection as it has the snap on shell, the rubber shell AND the outter skeleton. the otterbox only has the first 2.

the otterbox however has a built in screen protector. they are also known for the excellent quality and customer service, which counts for a lot these days.

i'm not sure if i would keep the case on my droid x on the weekends when i am not at work and do not that level of protection. so another issue i have is durability when taking off and putting back on repeatedly. i've read reviews that say the seidio rubber did not hold its shape after a while. since i'm thinking off going without the case on the weekend, i would want a film screen protector. how does the otterbox's screen protector work with a film screen protector?

swalker
11-27-2011, 03:26 PM
I have a rugged and its nice and feels good in hand. I hardly ever use it because of size. Its not for the pocket by no means butcomes with a good holster

Blazing......

mugz91
11-27-2011, 03:34 PM
I work in a mill and use the Otterbox. Have dropped my phone several times and it is in immaculate condition; if not for the wear marks around the charging port you would never know my phone has been used.

Sent via Tapatalk

daddy9azz
11-27-2011, 07:46 PM
I can tell you that the Otterbox works perfectly with a screen protector.

music_man185
11-27-2011, 08:45 PM
thanks for the help. i went ahead and ordered a defender case. along with a full body zagg screen protector. hadn't planned on adding a zagg, but it was only around $8 on ebay from a highly rated seller. so i thought, why not?

music_man185
11-27-2011, 09:22 PM
upon further research, i'm finding out that most people are unsuccessful in using a zagg + otterbox defender on a touchscreen. some even say that they can't snap their otterbox together with the full body zagg on. i can understand the screen zagg causing issues with the screen protector on the defender. but is the back zagg protector really thick enough to keep the otterbox from snapping together?? if i can't use the screen protector, i would at least like to have the back protector for when i'm not using the otterbox.

daddy9azz
11-30-2011, 11:00 PM
Hmm, I haven't had experience with the Zagg screen protector. I have been using the one they sell at Verizon. I couldn't imagine that between the two it would make a whole lot of difference. With that being said, I use my Otterbox Defender like you are talking about, just putting it on when I know I'll need that extra protection. That's why I keep a screen protector on it as well. I have had absolutely zero problems with the combination so far. As for the Otterbox not snapping together with full body protection I had something similar happen when I put on my extended battery. I eventually got most of them snapped, and once I put the rubber shell around the outside that held everything in place just fine.

Seamore5
11-30-2011, 11:08 PM
i use the otterbox and as far as keeping dirt and dust out it`s a winner I too have drop my phone and there was no damage in fact i dropped it into a puddle of mud and i clean it up took the cover off and it was ALL DRY.. SO AS TOO THE OUTTERBOX IT`S THE BEST ( just my opinion )

music_man185
12-01-2011, 05:28 PM
thanks guys. i ordered 2 otterbox defenders from bestbuy.com (one for me, one for the girlfriend). best buy has them for about $22 each. however, i ordered them 4 days ago, and they are still processing!!!! i'm getting so tired of waiting. we both NEED our cases!