PDA

View Full Version : Camera button not working for taking picturse in CM 7.1.0?

gamer_jason
11-25-2011, 09:08 PM
According to this forum post (http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/cyanogenmod/39258-camera-button-not-working-camera.html#post471057) the camera button should be working in CM7 now. Except for me it's most definitely not. I would appreciate help fixing this because I really don't like how the soft button gives you no way to not take a picture once you press it.

Here's what I'm running:

CyanogenMod-7.1.0-DROIDX-KANG

Android version: 2.3.7

Kernel version: 2.6.32.9-g34b306d
tkw86@ca25rhe81 #2

(Not sure if kernel version should be one or two lines, sorry.)

Build number:GRH78C

If there's any more info needed to diagnose/fix this please let me know. Also, if it matters, I ran an updater in not BootStrap, just RomManager recovery, didn't know the difference to make it so that only the power button can wake the screen. Could I have inadvertently wiped out a setting that lets the camera button do its thing?

One last thing: Under /system/usr/keychars I have the file cdma_shadow-keypad.kcm.bin, which 1) I thought was associated with Froyo and I thought I'm on a GB build and 2)I open it and it's all garbled (I'd previously opened it and it neatly laid out a bunch of keys with settings next to them). I seem to recall the camera button initially working on CM7 and I'm thinking, if I'm not just remembering things wrong, if this might not have ****ed it up somehow.

Sorry for letting the post get long but wanted to try to make sure I provided as much relevant info as possible. Thanks again for any help.

MadCutter
11-25-2011, 09:24 PM
You don't have to take a picture if you press the soft button. All you have to do is slide your finger off the button. Just make sure your finger isnt over the button when you let it go. Also im on the same CM7GB build and my camera button works fine. It must have been the fix you flashed. You shouldn't be using bootstrap recovery after you are on cm7 either. Boot into clockwork mod recovery via Rom Manager or Power Button/Reboot/Recovery. Install fixes there if needed.

gamer_jason
11-25-2011, 09:43 PM
You don't have to take a picture if you press the soft button. All you have to do is slide your finger off the button. Just make sure your finger isnt over the button when you let it go. Also im on the same CM7GB build and my camera button works fine. It must have been the fix you flashed. You shouldn't be using bootstrap recovery after you are on cm7 either. Boot into clockwork mod recovery via Rom Manager or Power Button/Reboot/Recovery. Install fixes there if needed.
Thanks for your response. First it actually wasn't BootStrap, it was the Rom Manager recovery, I mistakenly thought "bootstrap recovery" was just a generic name.

Anyhow, there was an accompanying fix provided to set everything back to normal, so I'll try flashing that and see if it fixes the issue.

MadCutter
11-25-2011, 10:04 PM
No problem. If all else fails just reflash the rom.

gamer_jason
11-25-2011, 10:08 PM
No problem. If all else fails just reflash the rom.
Ha yeah. I'm sort of hoping to avoid that since I just got everything set up otherwise how I like it. :p And now that I know to just slide my finger off the on-screen shutter button I actually kind of like it. If it really starts driving me nuts I might reflash though.

I'd also been dicking around in some of the files removing "WAKE" and "WAKE_DROPPED" before flashing that fix and I'm wondering if that might not have screwed it up too. If I wind up reflashing the ROM I'm definitely reinstalling all my apps and then making a backup of that otherwise virgin state before proceeding to dick around more with the phone. :p

Thanks again.

MadCutter
11-25-2011, 10:13 PM
If im not mistaken that WakePhonebyPowerOnly zip was for liquid on Froyo. I'm thinking that because i have a Rom folder on my phone with all the roms for Froyo and Gb and that zip is in the liquid froyo folder along with the other liquid fix zips. Unless you found one for cm7gb. Did it work? If all you lose is the camera button i might try it just so my phone doesn't keep waking in my pocket and calling people at the most inoppertune times. Like my wife when im talking about her. LOL

gamer_jason
11-25-2011, 10:18 PM
If im not mistaken that WakePhonebyPowerOnly zip was for liquid on Froyo. I'm thinking that because i have a Rom folder on my phone with all the roms for Froyo and Gb and that zip is in the liquid froyo folder along with the other liquid fix zips. Unless you found one for cm7gb. Did it work? If all you lose is the camera button i might try it just so my phone doesn't keep waking in my pocket and calling people at the most inoppertune times. Like my wife when im talking about her. LOL
I didn't notice that it was only for Froyo Liquid! No wonder it caused me problems! D'oh!

But yeah, as far as I can tell the only problem I created was losing the camera button. It will still activate the camera, and it will still operate the camera in camcorder mode, but it will neither let you focus the camera nor take a picture. I won't promise that nothing else will break though, maybe I just don't use something else that broke but you do use it. Definitely back up your current state though if you decide to try this because as far as I can tell I just might have to reflash CM7 if I want to fix this.

MadCutter
11-25-2011, 11:43 PM
It may work with other froyo roms also. But most that i used were wake by power only anyways.

gamer_jason
11-26-2011, 01:04 PM
It may work with other froyo roms also. But most that i used were wake by power only anyways.
Well, considering I'm on a GB ROM, I was more fixated on the "Froyo" part. :p