PDA

View Full Version : Yet ANOTHER rooting thread....

Nine Four One
11-23-2011, 05:49 PM
Sigh. So before i get nailed down with people saying use the search key,let me say i have. Ive lurkedOn this site an many others to no avail. Ive just read so many threads with info that goes againt each otherAn iam confused. Iam a droid noob an tons of this lingo is loosing me,gingerbread...sdk....froyo etc. yeah ive looked at the lingo thread too. Ok rambling aside.i would really like to root my standard DX that is running 2.3.3 an iam not sure what is the end all be all way. Alot of threads are from say april of this year an say i need to drop back to this an do that,while others say use the one click program.i just figure this place has bailed me out many times so i thought id ask for help.sorry to anger anyone lol. Just looking for direction.as to what are most low level people using/doing

HarleyDude
11-23-2011, 05:54 PM
The d3 1-click method works.
this post has current links to the download, instructions, even a how-to video
http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/gingerbread-development-hacking/35634-gb-602-root-start-here-links-all.html

DirtyDroid
11-23-2011, 05:57 PM
Grr another root thread! Lol just kidding....the way to do it is with a computer and program called d3 one click (it works not just for d3) ill grab yah a link...unless someonevelse does ...I'm away from computer at the moment..

Oh and welcome! :)

Edit: And there's the ninja!...w/link

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

Nine Four One
11-23-2011, 06:10 PM
Ahhhhhhh...ok i shall check it out. Like i said i joined last year when i got the phone an this was the best site...an most friendly. I was just spinning with all this info thats on this site on rooting.thank you guys so much an for not flaming me lol

DirtyDroid
11-23-2011, 06:16 PM
Yeah there is alot of different info out there for sure....just remember that if you decide to flash a rom, you can find them in the gingerbread hacking section.and with all the peeps and knowledge here, there's someonevto help if yah.....and only dumb questions are those not asked!

HarleyDude
11-23-2011, 06:20 PM
Ahhhhhhh...ok i shall check it out. Like i said i joined last year when i got the phone an this was the best site...an most friendly. I was just spinning with all this info thats on this site on rooting.thank you guys so much an for not flaming me lol

It's still the BEST and most friendly site. Don't worry, no question is a bother, and folk here will answer what you need.

Nine Four One
11-23-2011, 06:40 PM
ok cool, now iam about to go do it now. i watched the video and give it a try. do i just use the backup assist before i go an do it just so its done? also iam going to lurk around there for sure once iam done. main goals are just a different look to the phone and *fingers crossed* the wifi tethering. here we go *bites nails* lol

DirtyDroid
11-23-2011, 06:49 PM
i gotta admit, i havn'et watched the video for rooting...but im not sure you'de have to do the backup assistant thing? really rooting basically is just opening up your phone to do more...but your going to want to get droid 2 bootstrap aftewards....make a nandroid....and also your going to need this file here http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/gingerbread-development-hacking/30948-wugpacked-gb-tether-patch-all-one-zips.html to flash in clockwork if you are going to stay stock/rooted and tether...

Nine Four One
11-23-2011, 07:24 PM
woot woot, rooted, step one down lol.. ok now this nandroid and boot strap etc ... that i need where do i obtain said items. ??? the rom threads? and for that wugpacked thing just follow those 10 steps and away ya go huh. cool cool. all baby steps i guess. i see you need the boot strap thing first. sorry again for the attack of questions lol will that rom thread show how to install them...i take it?

edit, i typed bootstrap in under the market and a few come up? 2.99 for each. sound right? droid 2 recovery,droid x, etc.....just go ahead and buy/download the one for x

DirtyDroid
11-23-2011, 07:27 PM
Grab Droid 2 bootstrap (not x, you'll see it) but get d2 instead...its a couple bucks...then open it up..hit top button >bootstrap recovery then you'll get a success hit OK> then hit reboot recovery it'll go into reboot into clockwork...scroll down with volume buttons to backup/restore select it with the camera button then select backup ..it'll do its thing and make your nandroid then reboot...that's done!

Nine Four One
11-23-2011, 10:25 PM
Cool cool....do that now then. I didnt wanna get the wrong one. Now that i did it iam ALMOST confusedOn why i did root lol.....everything looks the same buahaha an now that i read the tethering thread iam terrified to do it. didnt realize the actions they could take. Anywho went looking through the rom section an did find a ton of nice theme/layouts i like i just have to learn or figure out how to install. But yeah learning curve from hell with this lol. What is the benifet or need for that D2 app?

DirtyDroid
11-23-2011, 10:40 PM
Its used to hijack the recovery in order to install themes/rom's etc

BHuber09
11-23-2011, 10:42 PM
Its needed to boot into a custom recovery whoch is what you use to flash the Roms and themes. Its required to get into clockwork recovery.
DD you've ninjad me twice today.

FreeMyMoto!!!

DirtyDroid
11-23-2011, 10:46 PM
Its needed to boot into a custom recovery whoch is what you use to flash the Roms and themes. Its required to get into clockwork recovery.
DD you've ninjad me twice today.

FreeMyMoto!!!

Lol OK I'm done! i got ninjad 4 today...just paying it forward B :)

BHuber09
11-23-2011, 10:55 PM
Haha its all good man, but 4 times dang, that had to be fun (sorry for getting thread off topic)

FreeMyMoto!!!

Nine Four One
11-23-2011, 11:07 PM
Lol hell iam getting help so iam ok with the ninja acts haha...ok iam getting allTwisted now so tomorrow iam going to buy/download said apps an look into rom stuff.Just crazy how kuch of another world this phone has. I feel as if iam in the dark. Auto technician by trade an this blows me away lol. Just screams noob.just all this is waaaaaay new

DirtyDroid
11-23-2011, 11:08 PM
Cool cool....do that now then. I didnt wanna get the wrong one. Now that i did it iam ALMOST confusedOn why i did root lol.....everything looks the same buahaha an now that i read the tethering thread iam terrified to do it. didnt realize the actions they could take. Anywho went looking through the rom section an did find a ton of nice theme/layouts i like i just have to learn or figure out how to install. But yeah learning curve from hell with this lol. What is the benifet or need for that D2 app?

Once you get used to things, you won't be sorry you rooted, you'll be sorry you didnt' root earlier :D and Yes there is alot of reading and info out there lol....the biggest thing i can tell yah is if yah don't know something or not 100% sure...ask...better safe than sorry

Nine Four One
11-24-2011, 05:10 PM
alright, rooted, downloaded bootstrap recovery and did a nandroid backup, now id like to change the look of the phone. is that a theme or a rom thing? i have watched a bunch of you tube videos and feel ok about using this boot strap app. pretty damn nice. and when you guys load them do you go on your phone and use the browser or your pc and download them? seems half do and half do the other way.....thoughts???

BHuber09
11-24-2011, 05:15 PM
The best way is to download (to your phone or computer but if on PC you'll have to transfer it to your phone) a stock gingerbread theme and flash it
But if you want to get more theme options download a cm7 rom and then use one oof those THOUSANDS of themes and you can changing it all the time.

FreeMyMoto!!!

savagerun
11-24-2011, 05:20 PM
Its up to you which way you want to download the rom. I always download the rom right on the phone over wifi if possible. The stock browser is not the greatest for downloading so i use Dolphin hd browser to download stuff. It's free in the market and works great. Its up to you to decide which rom you want but just make sure its for GingerBread 602 or 605. I myself like the vortex rom but there's plenty to pick from.

Nine Four One
11-24-2011, 05:45 PM
so how do i know what iam on?...when i look at my phone under that setting menu it dont say anything about gingerbread ? but after a root is that what it becomes??? sigh. trying not to get a headache on this crap. but all i need to do is look at the rom section on this forum and find that apex rom from my phone and download it. then use that you tube video to walk through the bootstrap and load it...ok cool. so just the 602 or 605 i need to find out. hmmmmm well moving along here, slowly but still moving lol

savagerun
11-24-2011, 05:57 PM
You can find out what system version your on by go in settings then press about phone and you'll see your system version. I'll find you a link to apex in a minute.

jwalz
11-24-2011, 06:00 PM
It does not say froyo or gingerbread its a series of numbers. 596 602 or 605 is gingerbread ....

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

savagerun
11-24-2011, 06:02 PM
http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/apex/38388-rom-droidx-apex-2-0-0-release-candidate-rc4-10-9-2011-a.html
There you go. Should be instructions on that link for installing. Download the apex rc4 just make sure you don't download the link that says froyo.

redxman
11-24-2011, 06:16 PM
so how do i know what iam on?...when i look at my phone under that setting menu it dont say anything about gingerbread ? but after a root is that what it becomes??? sigh. trying not to get a headache on this crap. but all i need to do is look at the rom section on this forum and find that apex rom from my phone and download it. then use that you tube video to walk through the bootstrap and load it...ok cool. so just the 602 or 605 i need to find out. hmmmmm well moving along here, slowly but still moving lol

There are 2 concepts. Root access and operating system. Froyo,gingerbread etc.... are operating systems. Each major release follows the alpha bet...f,g,h,I...and so on it will go. Rooting allows you to remove what you don't want on your device such as Verizon bloatware or apps many don't like. So compartmentalize the subjects like a file tree. I've bricked a Droid x so severely that it became stuck in only what I've been able to call a restore loop. I sent it back to Verizon rooted roomed, patched you name it. And i still haven't been charged for a phone. Lol. Anyway. What step are you on and what is your goal? Then the forum can guide you better. ;)

"Bartender! Get me my golf shoes!"

Nine Four One
11-24-2011, 06:33 PM
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, ok now i really feel dumb. lol ok so gingerbread it is. belive iam on 605. gotcha. that was a major issus with those terms lol. great thanks for the link i shall check it out now. and last year when i got the phone i was just so happy to step into the present and this was an awesome phone that i was just happy with it as it was. well a year later iam now just bored with the "look" of the screens , start up animation,lock screen etc.... i downloaded launcher pro a few months ago and this help hold me over and kept me from wanting to root. plus i was terrified of the idea of bricking the phone with all the horror stories ive read so i just didnt feel comfy doing it. well now iam just bored again and decided to do it. another big thing was the idea of tethering but now since reading up on that iam going to shy away from it as not to blow out my data usage or get caught or what ever. iam just scared of something with that....ok rambling aside my main go is just to change the look of the phone with the lock screens,etc..just the general feel of it. and maybe get rid of the dumb stuff on it. blockbuster etc......ok this place is a life saver . leaving the pc now and heading back to my phone to check out that link. thanks again EVERYONE....ok an now why does it say download unsucessful? It dont give a reason like no storage space so i dont know.....ideas

savagerun
11-24-2011, 07:03 PM
Are you using Dolphin hd browser to download with?

redxman
11-24-2011, 07:07 PM
Try go launcher ex very customizable lots of themes and there are lock screen changer apps but they have been spotty at best for me. Agile lock is cool if you feelnfroggy. All of these are free on the market. Also read up about ninja morph. Pretty cool but slightly advanced.

"Bartender! Get me my golf shoes!"

Nine Four One
11-24-2011, 07:09 PM
no, guess ill go download that now. i used the uninstaller program i had on the phone to get rid of a bunch of live wallpapers and apps i never use thinking it was a memory issue , to no avail. so ill go get that and see.......i just clicked the link, tried the mirror (what ever that is) and the standard link. it sent me to another window and when i pulled down my status bar said the download unsucessful thing.

savagerun
11-24-2011, 07:12 PM
Yeah just use Dolphin you'll be ok.

Nine Four One
11-24-2011, 07:57 PM
downloaded the dolphinhd one and gol darn it it downloaded lol you guys do know your Xes lol. off to you tube to check out the walk through. is that go launcher a rom or theme ? or what. now when, IF i get this apex on my phone that is the main thing and then i put themes on that?..is that correct?.also the video says i need to be on certian versions and one main thing i notice is says i should be on 602.......iam on 605. still ok to give it a try? and what is this g aps.zip thing that the droidmodderx video says? is that on my phone already?

savagerun
11-24-2011, 08:06 PM
602 or 605 same thing when it comes to roms. I wouldn't worry about go launcher or themes yet. Install the rom then you can add things afterwards.
EDIT... If i remember right you have droid x bootstrap if so make sure usb debugging is unchecked before using it. If you did get droid 2 bootstrap just leave debugging checked.

Nine Four One
11-24-2011, 08:40 PM
Yeah..i downloaded the one for 2 not the x. Just from what i read. Ok ill give it a go * bites nails*.lol

fezrock
11-24-2011, 08:41 PM
Yeah..i downloaded the one for 2 not the x. Just from what i read. Ok ill give it a go * bites nails*.lol

D2 is best for GB. You'll be fine :)

Nine Four One
11-24-2011, 09:35 PM
ok, so i followed the video to a T and deleted cashe and the other cashe thing and when i go to choose the file zip thing from the sd card like it says i dont have it in my list. when i downloaded it with that dolphin browser it downloaded fine but never asked where to save it to. so now iam lost on where it went or what i should do now since i deleted user data in step one?...grrrrrr. affraid to do anyting now. when i go under advanced options i dont have install zip from sd card. all i have under the letter F is factory .widgets.skins/

shows "apply sdcard:update.zip.....

wow hit reboot now and now its like my phone is brand new again lol god i suck. i really wish i never did this. looked so easy on the video. why that apex file wasnt in my card i dont know...fawk.

silver04v
11-24-2011, 09:45 PM
there should be a spot on the sd card that says dolphin, navigate to it, then downloads, and itll be in there.
When applying a rom, clear data, cache, and dalvik cache. then install zip from sd, choose zip from sd, then navigate to where the file is on your sd card.

savagerun
11-24-2011, 09:51 PM
Your rom will be in the DOWNLOAD folder when you download it straight to the phone. So after doing all your wipes you select install zip from sd card then select choose zip from sd then scroll down to your download folder and open it then you'll see your apex zip and install it.

Nine Four One
11-24-2011, 10:03 PM
damn it, now i just realized i dont have that bootstrap program anymore...how the hell do you get back to where i did that nandroid backup and get my ish back?....all the videos show how to perform the backup but not bring it back up. blah..... i suck at life i know lol

popcenator
11-24-2011, 10:07 PM
Since it's a paid app, you should be able to retrieve it via the market under "My Apps"

savagerun
11-24-2011, 10:09 PM
I assume your just back to where you started on 605. Your bootstrap app is in the market if that's where you purchased it. Just open the market app and press the hardkey menu button then select my apps and it will be there. Unless im not understanding right.
Ninja'd by pop

Nine Four One
11-25-2011, 07:33 AM
Ok, i just got tired of messing with it last night so i went to bed. now this morning at work i read you guys last three post, and sure as hell. i found it. ....downloaded it and now when i rebooted it i now got the "google" startup animation and the white and green apex logo. and thats it. ...iam now just stuck on that apex screen. should i pull the battery and reboot?

edit, pulled battery and the same result...hmmmmm

DirtyDroid
11-25-2011, 07:41 AM
OK so if you just flashed the zip...you'll have to clear cache and data again.if its bootlooping (stays at the animation screen)..pull battery..hold home and power for a few seconds, let go..hit volume up and down atbsame time when you get to android guy...then navigate to wipe data..select with power button..then wipe cache...power button..then reboot..

silver04v
11-25-2011, 10:48 AM
Ok, i just got tired of messing with it last night so i went to bed. now this morning at work i read you guys last three post, and sure as hell. i found it. ....downloaded it and now when i rebooted it i now got the "google" startup animation and the white and green apex logo. and thats it. ...iam now just stuck on that apex screen. should i pull the battery and reboot?

edit, pulled battery and the same result...hmmmmm

If you flashed data, cache, and dalvik cache it's gonna take awhile to boot up. When I flashed apex it took nearly 5 mins. Shouldn't be longer than that really though. How long are you waiting for it to boot?

taking miui for a spin

Nine Four One
11-25-2011, 10:51 AM
^DD^ PERFECT, did that and it loaded. i didnt realize i needed to clear that stuff again. i did the first time i tried to load the apex file when i couldnt find it. ..now that its loaded how to i gain my apps that i had in there again? just have to download them again. ...and my contacts are not ALL there. only a few of them. i always used backup assist, and did that nandroid thing , and i thought i backed them up on google. but not sure how to get them back. thank you again for your help. just this few minuts ive looked through this apex thing looks great. lot of stuff i dont understand in here but love the look of it.and you deserve a medal for your patience with me lol

silver04v
11-25-2011, 10:52 AM
Also when downloading roms on the phone you should always check the md5 sum of your download. I use android file verifier. Its icon is a little alien guy. You navigate to the file, long press and choose the md5 sum option. Then compare it to the md5 sum provided by the dev in the rom thread.

taking miui for a spin

DirtyDroid
11-25-2011, 10:57 AM
^DD^ PERFECT, did that and it loaded. i didnt realize i needed to clear that stuff again. i did the first time i tried to load the apex file when i couldnt find it. ..now that its loaded how to i gain my apps that i had in there again? just have to download them again. ...and my contacts are not ALL there. only a few of them. i always used backup assist, and did that nandroid thing , and i thought i backed them up on google. but not sure how to get them back. thank you again for your help. just this few minuts ive looked through this apex thing looks great. lot of stuff i dont understand in here but love the look of it.and you deserve a medal for your patience with me lol

Lol np...its really a community thing! Normally after either sbf or flashing a rom...wipe data/cache is a must..apps like titanium backup are nice to have BC they will backup your apps then you can just restore them...I've never used backup assistant for my contacts...always just Google...but I think you can go into settings>accounts > and see if Google sync is checked..

Nine Four One
11-25-2011, 06:56 PM
So just make sure if and when i change from this apex one to look at that md5 thing and make sure they match....ok never heard or read about that but ill look into it if i ever change lol. just now finding my groove with this. and ok for what ever reason i dont have backup assistant any more, nor can i find it. i used google back up at least i think i did... but cant seem to find how to get my contacts back. i remember a few months back my phone locked up for what ever reason and i needed to do that home screen and power button thing and went back to stock and lost all my info and contacts and i managed to get them back...i just dont remember how. i am not sure if it was through google or backup assistant or not. i look through my phone contacts and only have a handful. and i go on google and have a few more but still not all of them. so iam not sure how to get my google ones back on the phone or find that back up assistant program back. which iam sure since the root/rom has replaced it. iam getting close to being happy just taking baby steps again lol. its my fault for not knowing how to use the titaniam backup program first. since then i looked at a video on it and see what i did wrong. i never went under batch and so on....i just need my damn contacts back lol:cry:

DirtyDroid
11-25-2011, 07:04 PM
im not sure how apex is set up but go to hard menu>settings>accounts & sync> and there should be a thing to add account...you should be able to add backup again assistant again

Nine Four One
11-25-2011, 09:31 PM
Yeah. I am justgoing to chalk it up to lesson learned I guess. Cause I synched it an still nothing.if I go into my Google page it shows like 145 contacts which is still not all of them but I can't even get them over. Life an learn iguess.

silver04v
11-25-2011, 10:06 PM
Yeah. I am justgoing to chalk it up to lesson learned I guess. Cause I synched it an still nothing.if I go into my Google page it shows like 145 contacts which is still not all of them but I can't even get them over. Life an learn iguess.

Did your apps re-download? Most of them usually do. If not you can go into stock recovery and do a data and cache wipe. But dont do it if you have everything all setup already. Then reboot. See if it downloads everything. I had my stuff not download one time when i flashed apex. Re did it and it downloaded contacts and almost all apps. When flashing on order to not lose contacts, go to contacts, menu hard Button, then export the contacts to SD card. That way you can import from SD when you switch roms.

taking miui for a spin

Nine Four One
11-28-2011, 06:36 PM
Yeah not all them downloaded..but its all good i have to take some responsibity for not using TB Correct. One other question though is my battery life seems like its way shorter now. I listen to pandoraPretty much all day an it just seems like it eats my battery worse then before. I may look into changing roms or to maybe That liberty one or cryo something or a theme . I just wanna watch /read some more on backupusing titianum or how to restore a nandroid

DirtyDroid
11-28-2011, 06:45 PM
Grab battery calibrator from the market..charge fully..open that..it will clear your batt stats ...let it die...then completley charge ...should help

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Nine Four One
11-29-2011, 05:59 PM
Damn....that ish worked like a mofo. Thanks DD. While i have you i was looking at the cryano(spell check) install on youtube an they said i have to sbf first before install to go back to froyo....is that just old info? Can i get that off here an just install that? End result i would like is to just run that since i here its very stable,an change my boot animation. After that iam done bothering you guys lol. An can i use something else besides rom manager to do that?i have one other question too but ill wait lol

chuck54
11-29-2011, 09:24 PM
I have no idea about this app but has anyone seen universal androot? I havnt seen it anywhere and I know nothing about it.

Nine Four One
12-04-2011, 01:38 PM
So everything has been ok i guess. I havent really messed with anything since installing apex2.0 also downloaded rom toolbox to change boot animations. But seems now when i go into the camera it always tells me to insert an sd card. An wont take pics. An if i try to download something it stops an says i dont have enough memory. So i have to go into settings an unmount sd card an remount it. Then i can take pics for a bit before it does it again......also seems like on the unlock screen it hangs up a tad an freezes ...i went an cleared catche a few times as i read on here that helps but it hasnt. So iam just wondering if i should bail out on apex an go with the cyangenmod 7 rom.....thoughts???

Nine Four One
12-12-2011, 07:20 PM
Now what if your ok an on thr 2.3.3 an on apex Like iam an would like to try liberty? Can i just do it the same? Or what about the cyanogenmod rom, id really like to try that one. But hear you have to drop back to a lower system or something. Does doing it through rom toolbox take care of that all in one shot?Edit i see it says nightlights cm7 is that an add on or a one shot download. An what are some of these other ones like superuser? An the 4 liberty roms. I take it you would just want the current one not an older one?Sorry