PDA

View Full Version : opinion on ROMs from a flashaholic

anderbutter
11-23-2011, 09:21 AM
I have run pretty much every ROM out there since the early days of the first version of Liberty. And what i've found is that pretty much every AOSP rom has its bugs and disadvantages. Sure, the customization is cool, but in the end I just want my phone to work, and to its full potential. The fact that AOSP roms do not record 720p video with multiple mics is a huge flaw for one, and there is inevitably some sort of force close, connection issue, you name it. Thats why i'm on Vortex, and probably will be as long as I have my DX. Everything works and it utilizes the full potential of the phone. On top of that the speed and stability are superb. I know people get crazy quadrant scores with AOSP roms but in my experience most of them eventually lag while Vortex remains snappy consistently. I literally have zero issues with this rom and have been running it for several months. If i see AOSP, i dont even bother looking any further, ill pass. My fave AOSP rom has always been liquid, and the newest version 3.2 has alot of reported bugs, so as much as i'd like to try it i will just stick with what works. just my two cents.

savagerun
11-23-2011, 10:45 AM
I can't disagree with anything you've said. My experience with flashing roms has always led me back to vortex but the flashaholic in me always gets me trying any new version that comes out for whatever rom. It's so easy anymore to go from rom to rom but it's also getting old (for me anyways) so i decided just to hang my hat on Vortex. 2 words describe Vortex....Everything Works!

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

cory46
11-23-2011, 10:51 AM
For future reference I hope you don't look down on AOSP :) the versions we are getting are a great taste but on a fully unlocked device they function a bit different and usually a lot better. Custom kernel and actually using aosp libs can go a long way for the cameras and such. Just food for thought

savagerun
11-23-2011, 11:11 AM
I understand and agree with what your saying cory. I've come to the conclusion that I'll only have this phone for a short period of time before going forward so im going to spend more time enjoying it and everything that came with the phone instead of waiting for endless fixes which never really seem to fix much on some roms. I can't say I've haven't had a great time flashing roms and learning more about these phones than i ever thought i would. All in all it's been a great experience and i wouldn't change a thing. This forum is awesome.

eppdroid37
11-23-2011, 02:48 PM
Got to agree w/ savage on vortex. I've been going back and forth between liquid 3.2 and Vortex RC1 and also learned a helluva lot from you guys here at DXF. Love this forum .......

BHuber09
11-23-2011, 02:57 PM
I agree and disagree with y'all
I am running MIUI and love this, loved it since day one and even though there are more stable Roms out there there's no rom with so much customization options. You have to give and take hah
As for single init roms I love vortex apex and liberty all for different reasons but apex being my go to rom

FreeMyMoto!!!

Carpetman
11-23-2011, 03:03 PM
My only problem with Vortex is that I continually have data dropping and can't find a wireless tether that works consistently.

BHuber09
11-23-2011, 03:10 PM
Yes it is that's why its not my #1, I cannot stand to tether on vortex and I get absolute awful download speeds

FreeMyMoto!!!

Orasion
11-23-2011, 10:16 PM
I never tried Vortex cos I see its still in RC status but Liberty is one good ROM. Recently I try MIUI, beatiful ROM with LOTS of customization but one drawback is digital compass cant be calibrated and I use it frequently. So I try SSX2.2 now and have amazing battery life. I rarely use camera to record so I dont mine losing 720p recording.

Before I have my DX, I have OG Droid and development of custom ROM is so amazing there. Not just ROM but also modified kernel, something we cant get for DX

polarbehr
11-23-2011, 10:39 PM
In the past month I have flashed: apex, liberty, vortex, liquid, miui and a few others but I keep coming back to darkslide. It just works.

B.E.McAllister
11-27-2011, 11:51 PM
I'm gonna agree with polarbehr on this one. I tried all the other including Vortex but I keep going back to the DarkSlide. Vortex did hold my interest far beyond the others but for some reason I started getting FC's in my second week with it. It's a very nice rom similar to DSX with more customization and I will be flashing it again soon I'm sure

idontliketolose
11-28-2011, 12:30 AM
This is by far the most solid ROM I've been on as far as responsiveness & dependability...customization wise not as much as that is also what I love! :-o

nodixe
11-28-2011, 02:45 AM
-profile: I'm a cerified flashaholic w/tether addiction and I've never even used camera/gps/etc.
-opinion: Ssx was fast and liberty was so themable and I was very fond of apex and vortex. They've got a lot of functionality but in the end cm74dx earns my respect all over again. I ran it for 3 weeks with over 320 apps installed. Its fast (ui and data) and smooth, themable, it remained snappy/lagfree. Battery is only weekness but it wasn't an issue for me...

kushasaurus
11-30-2011, 11:54 PM
I was stuck on miui 1.10.21, but loaded liquid 3.2 into a slot and so far am loving it. very responsive and light compared yet still sleek.