PDA

View Full Version : Hello Droid X Forum!

axlenut
11-21-2011, 10:44 PM
Hi everyone,
It's good to be part of yet another forum. I'm looking into buying a Droid X. You might be thinking at this point that I'm a little behind the curve when it comes to smart phones. Well, I have a unique use case that I'd like to discuss.
Right now I have what I call the "old folks phone" because it is. It's the one that adults buy for their aging parents. I have it because it's one of the very few verizon phones without a camera. Prior to that I had a blackberry curve that I didn't take to work because it had a camera. That was on T-mobile, and it was a pretty crappy smart phone, as far as I was concerned. Browsing on it was very slow and when that contract expired I decided it was time to put the blackberry to pasture. When I got my old folks phone my wife got the HTC Incredible 2 which is pretty cool. If it had been me I would have gotten the Droid X.
I work at a facility that has very tight rules on smartphones. They have only been allowed very recently. The caveat is that I have to destructively disable the camera and I'm not allowed to have the sd card installed. Since I have to destroy part of the phone, I'm not willing to do it to a new phone, so I'll be bidding away to get mine (if I decide to get one).
Now, about the memory card. I have a coworker with a droid x who has told me about some of the problems of not having the sd card. According to my Dad, who has one, the phone won't operate without the card. So which is it? Yea, or Nay? What are the problems that I'm going to encounter without a card.
Any input is appreciated.

Nemo aeternamn
11-21-2011, 11:09 PM
in my opinion... the x is a great phone... and it still has a strong development scene working on improving it even further...as far as running it without a card... not sure excatly how well it will work... but it will work... just some apps save things to the sd card.... and with it not being there... that will create a problem... but with the 8 gig internal... that helps cut down on that... but that's the only problem i see...and you can probably pick up a 2 gig memory card for pretty cheap from amazon these days... and then you wont have to worry about that....post script... welcome to our humble home

nemosfate
11-21-2011, 11:29 PM
welcome to the forum
never too late for a DX development is still strong for it as Nemo.A said

HarleyDude
11-22-2011, 07:07 AM
Hello and welcome to the forum. We mostly help folk fix their phones, but I'm sure we can help you selectively destroy yours.
Besides ebay, you may want to check swappa dot com, they are an android smartphone re-seller site

As far as running with no sd card, I just pulled mine and the phone boots and works fine, I'm on a call now

axlenut
11-22-2011, 09:10 AM
Thanks for the help guys.
I've heard that the music player requires the sd card, but that a work-around is to use Google music (made available offline) which reads from the device memory. Are there any other music players out there that would work without the sd card?