PDA

View Full Version : Stock rooted .602, can't stay connected to wifi.

Talon66721
11-21-2011, 09:39 PM
Hey all, title says most of it. I was having issues on the 2nd-init rom I was on, so I figured I'd try stock rooted .602. I did multiple factory resets, in settings and clockwork, just to be on the safe side. Anyway, sbf'd to froyo, did the two part update to .602, seems to be doing ok, except for the wifi issue. I turn on wifi, put in the password the first time, it authenticates, connects, and immediately disconnects. Then it goes on a continuous loop of the same. My girl is connected on her phone and laptop, so I'm fairly sure it's something with my phone and not the router. It was able to connect fine on the Liquid rom I had been on. I didn't expect to have an issue with this change, but I certainly am. If there is more info I need to give to get some help, just let me know. If anyone has a solution to this, it would be fantastic. Thanks in advance!

Edit: Some of the things I have tried so far that didn't work. I told it to forget network and tried it again, same result. Did a battery pull in the wifi settings part, no dice. Reboot, still no go.

PomPWNius
11-21-2011, 09:47 PM
Im having same problem. :(. Can anyone help us?

Talon66721
11-21-2011, 09:51 PM
Hey, PomP, sorry about our bad luck. I'm sure someone out there has a solution for us. This is an amazing forum full of really smart people, dare I say geniuses. They'll get us straightened out. No worries.

PomPWNius
11-22-2011, 05:35 AM
Yeah I hope so. Ive been having this problem as long as I can remember. :(. The reason I rooted and flashed MIUI was because I thought it might work (ended up staying with it because its AWESOME) but yeah... it didn't work.

DirtyDroid
11-22-2011, 06:33 AM
so it was working on liquid fairly well or no? and what version of miui are you on? ..bump :)

skennelly
11-22-2011, 06:41 AM
This may not be much help, as my problem isn't the same as yours. However, when I have trouble connecting to WiFi, I put the phone in airplane mode and leave it there, turn WiFi on and let it connect.

The other thing that has worked for me is to turn on the WiFi and then reboot. It usually connects right to it when it boots.

Talon66721
11-22-2011, 09:18 AM
Hey guys. Thanks for getting back with us! Sorry, just getting around this morning. Yes, Dirty, it was working fine on Liquid for me.

Anyway, update on my end, still may need to help Pomp, though. TiBu got hung up on me last night while I was restoring. Bad enough I couldn't get my phone to boot back up. It would get to the bootlogo, then just a backlit black screen and no more. I did a battery pull a few times, but couldn't get past that. I ended up going to stock recovery, did a factory wipe, got Tibu working again, and crashed. Woke up this morning with my wifi holding strong.

So, PomP, maybe give that a shot and see. Hopefully it will help you, not sure with you being on Miui. Not sure whatwas wrong with mine, but the reset seems to have fixed it. Thanks Dirty and Skennelly for the input! I'll remember your tips for the next time I have this issue.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

PomPWNius
11-22-2011, 02:00 PM
What is Tibu? can you give me a more fetailed explanation please? Im fairly new to this, but I do consider myself to be smart when it comes to technology like this. But I can't do things I dont know! ;P. By the way, Hey dirty! remember me from the ics thread? :D

DirtyDroid
11-22-2011, 02:09 PM
Tibu, is titanium backup.....Oh yess...lol sorry i new the name looked familiar...so what is your problem the same exact as above? won't connect? connects then logs off?

PomPWNius
11-22-2011, 02:18 PM
My problem is different. Ive had it before I rooted. I am not sure when it started happening but I believe it was back when I updated to gingerbread (before I even knew what rooting was :P) It can connect but discconects after like 2 minutes. After root now it will stay connected but I only get signal when im within like 20 feet of the router :(. I know its not the router because my laptop is fine, everything is perfectly fine on it, except my beloved droid x :(

PomPWNius
11-22-2011, 03:03 PM
Ive always used the stock miui backup app for my backups and it works great. Im not really sure what exactly talon said to do, but it sounds his like my problem is worse than his :(. I really hope it doesn't have to do with hardware...

DirtyDroid
11-22-2011, 03:24 PM
Have you always had wifi issues? Even when stock?

Talon66721
11-22-2011, 03:27 PM
Hey, PomP, I'm just on stock rooted GB, not Miui, so not sure if it would help you any to do what I did. Honestly,not even sure why it worked for mine. All I did was a reset through stock recovery.

Maybe download an app called z-device test and have it check your wifi. Maybe it will help answer some things for you. Not sure if it will tell you if it's bad hardware or not, but may be interesting anyway.

PomPWNius
11-22-2011, 03:33 PM
Yes I have always had wifi issues. I posted on forums before but nobody ever replied haha. Wifi has been bad since stock gingerbread update, I believe.

PomPWNius
11-22-2011, 08:23 PM
good news, for some reason, updating miui did the trick :DDD. Finally, I can like my phone again haha! Its been a long time since I could use wifi. I didn't remember how much faster it is!

Talon66721
11-23-2011, 09:00 AM
Glad to hear you found a fix for yours, too! Life is good for us again, huh?

PomPWNius
11-23-2011, 10:25 AM
Glad to hear you found a fix for yours, too! Life is good for us again, huh?

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums sure is! I fixed my one problem with my droid x. :D

PomPWNius
11-23-2011, 12:28 PM
Apparently I spoke too soon... :( It is not working.... again :cry:

DirtyDroid
11-23-2011, 01:34 PM
Apparently I spoke too soon... :( It is not working.... again :cry:
I would say try what Bubba posted and literally start fresh, no nandroids, nothing...but IMO..if you can do it to 10.21 build..I would do that as there should possibly be a new build out very soon and they will be back on the defy/gb build...just saying...that rom/version is nice...but can be a pain in the _ _ _

PomPWNius
11-23-2011, 01:43 PM
Well I never used nandroids anyways. I have always sbf'd...

PomPWNius
11-23-2011, 06:01 PM
Hmm well after installing 1.10.22 again, I have dropped wifi once in about 3 hours... HUGE improvement. Also, after I rebooted I've been getting 4 bars constantly... best I've gotten before was 2 and it would switch back and forth like2 to 1 to nothing and back over and over again.. now I'm getting 4! :)

DirtyDroid
11-23-2011, 06:23 PM
Well that's good! I do know the miui wifi was a major issue before...
But glad its getting better for yah

PomPWNius
11-24-2011, 06:49 PM
Turns out, I still have weak wifi. After installing 1.10.21 I am able to STAY connected, but to get connected i have to be extremely close. From my bedroom (which is where I do the most internet using) is thankfully right above my router. But I'm my loving room which is maybe 40 feet away, I get no signal.. I want to try to do q complete factory reset. Deleting EVERYTHING so its just like out of the box. Nothing. Nun. Zip. Nada. How can I do this? Just format SD? And wipe data? Is that it? And if this doesn't work ill use my warranty because its a hardware problem.

Sent from my Droid X running Miui 1.10.21 :)

DirtyDroid
11-24-2011, 07:06 PM
For that you would want to sbf...thatvwill give you out of the box...but if you don't want all the apps to cone back and auto sync...you can turn that off when you set up your accountvand sign in..there will be a box saying something like restore my stuff with my gmail account...uncheck that.

PomPWNius
11-24-2011, 07:28 PM
Well, I've been having the same issues through many sbf's... is it.possible that something on the SD card is causing it? If it is a hardware problem, l have no clue if my phone is on a warranty or not.

Burncycle
11-24-2011, 08:08 PM
Well, I've been having the same issues through many sbf's... is it.possible that something on the SD card is causing it? If it is a hardware problem, l have no clue if my phone is on a warranty or not.

99% of the time it's the router, not the phone.

PomPWNius
11-24-2011, 08:15 PM
I dont see how it could be the router. It works great with literally EVERYTHING else in my house (toaster included, lol jk). Unless i need to change some setting on the router.

Burncycle
11-24-2011, 08:17 PM
I dont see how it could be the router. It works great with literally EVERYTHING else in my house (toaster included, lol jk). Unless i need to change some setting on the router.

I know, I said the same thing, but these phones can be incredibly picky. What fixed it for my home router was to change the bandwidth setting from. 20/40mhz to 20mhz. Never had a problem since then. Just play with the settings and see what you can do. There are plenty of old threads on what things to try.

PomPWNius
11-24-2011, 08:18 PM
Alright I will see what I can do

PomPWNius
11-24-2011, 08:48 PM
Hmm well, I just tested wifi strengths at different locations from my phone and my fathers phone. His works fine on the same router, mine drops all the time when I am like 40 from router, in my living room.

Burncycle
11-24-2011, 10:20 PM
Hmm well, I just tested wifi strengths at different locations from my phone and my fathers phone. His works fine on the same router, mine drops all the time when I am like 40 from router, in my living room.

You never know,it could be a hardware problem. I'm sure that Verizon would be happy to send you a replacement. Can't hurt to try. I take advantage of my warranty :)

PomPWNius
11-25-2011, 06:16 AM
Do they all have warranty? Because I don't know if mine does

DirtyDroid
11-25-2011, 06:34 AM
how long have you had it for?

PomPWNius
11-25-2011, 07:49 AM
how long have you had it for?

Will be one year in about 2 weeks

DirtyDroid
11-25-2011, 08:01 AM
You should be able to call vzw and go through "trouble shooting".. I think its one year after purchase date...of course youde have return to stock if you had to send it in....worth a shot really. ?

PomPWNius
11-25-2011, 08:06 AM
You should be able to call vzw and go through "trouble shooting".. I think its one year after purchase date...of course youde have return to stock if you had to send it in....worth a shot really. ?

Definitely. And I'm like pro Asian at sbf'ing now :P

PomPWNius
11-25-2011, 08:10 AM
Also, nandroids aare saved on SD card right? So if they give me a new phone I can just pop in my SD card and restore and I'm just like now?

DirtyDroid
11-25-2011, 08:14 AM
they are saved on your sd card..but honestly if you get a new one...ide go fresh with everything but first ide def. check out the wifi issue of course...just what i would do..

PomPWNius
11-25-2011, 08:20 AM
they are saved on your sd card..but honestly if you get a new one...ide go fresh with everything but first ide def. check out the wifi issue of course...just what i would do..

Ok, so it could be something on my SD card causing the problem?

DirtyDroid
11-25-2011, 08:28 AM
naww i highly doubt it...it just seems internal/hardware....if you've changed everything on router..phone etc.etc you could just have faulty equipment

PomPWNius
11-25-2011, 09:45 AM
I haven't changed anything on my router yet... my dad won't let me...he thinks it will make the desktop have slower internet

PomPWNius
11-26-2011, 08:46 PM
I don't know why all ofa sudden but this issue is really making me mad now :(. I better get a refurb when I take my phone to verizon. My farther is convinced my phone is perfectly fine... But its not. He wont let me change the router from wep to wpa(that seemed to work for lots of people) because he's too lazy to change the passcode on his phone and laptop. -.-

Burncycle
11-26-2011, 09:12 PM
I don't know why all ofa sudden but this issue is really making me mad now :(. I better get a refurb when I take my phone to verizon. My farther is convinced my phone is perfectly fine... But its not. He wont let me change the router from wep to wpa(that seemed to work for lots of people) because he's too lazy to change the passcode on his phone and laptop. -.-

You really should lol. Wep is the easiest thing in the world to crack.

DirtyDroid
11-26-2011, 11:15 PM

Yeah, gotta agree with burn, also it very well could be the problem....or go to a friends house that has wifi and just mess with theirs hahaha, but then you can rule out just about everything?

PomPWNius
11-27-2011, 06:48 AM
Well yeah as I said my dad is too lazy to let me switch to wpa... Because his droid works on our wifi...

PomPWNius
11-27-2011, 11:50 AM
Alright I switched to wpa.... Didn't do crap. :(. Hopefully I can get to a VZW store today

PomPWNius
11-27-2011, 03:15 PM
Got to the store after I sbfd, formatted, and factory reset... Went to the vzw store... The guy didn't even ask for the phone lol. I'm getting a refurbished droid in 2 days and when I get it I mail back this one. :D. Can't wait. It better work!

PomPWNius
11-27-2011, 03:16 PM
Holy crap moto blur sucks so much lol.

DirtyDroid
11-27-2011, 03:49 PM
Nice, hopefully you'll see a difference and it was a hardware problem....lol yeah I try to re root asap now...can't stand the motoblur lol

PomPWNius
11-27-2011, 08:05 PM
Yeah I dont understand why they have to make it just soo bad lol. I mean why bother making it if its gonna be so bad haha

xjacobx
11-28-2011, 11:20 AM
Yeah I dont understand why they have to make it just soo bad lol. I mean why bother making it if its gonna be so bad haha

Looks like I may have been to late, I skimmed the thread and did see this suggestion, but in the settings > wireless> wifi then menu button, advanced, there is a timeout setting where it disconnects after inactivity, default is like 15 min, if you set that to never, that always fixes my issue.
Maybe will help other users...

Sent from my HTC Rezound

PomPWNius
11-28-2011, 03:55 PM
Yeah i already knew about that. It doesnt change anything :(. Thanks anyways!

PomPWNius
11-30-2011, 05:05 PM
Problem solved. Verizon shipped new phone, works like a charm. :starstruck:

DirtyDroid
11-30-2011, 05:15 PM
good deal!

Talon66721
12-02-2011, 12:45 PM
Sorry, been off for a few. PomP, so happy to hear you resolved your issue. I've gone through 3 or 4 more phones they've sent me because of hardware failures. Even Moto is not infallible on hardware. Lol. Good to be back up and running right isn't it?

PomPWNius
12-03-2011, 06:51 AM
Its very good :)