PDA

View Full Version : I wanna hold your hand...no, wait! I want someone to hold MY hand!

ktformie
11-18-2011, 05:31 PM
In spite of my common sense telling me not to, I rooted my phone. Problem is, I don't know what to do with it now. I watched a video, but even though I have the same apps downloaded, they don't behave the same as they did on the video. (Titanium Backup Pro and Droid 2 Bootstrapper). Plus, he talks about installing a different ROM on my phone...what??? why??? which one??? Aaaaaahhhhh!

What I really want out of this is:
1. Get rid of the stupid apps like city ID
2. My contacts to be useful again and actually show the information like birthdays, etc.
3. Block future tresspassing on my phone once I get it back like I had it

Can anyone hold my hand through this? I am somewhat intelligent, but I will need step by step instructions. Also, I have a natural curiosity about what all this means and how it works so I might ask a lot of questions.

Or should I just unroot my phone, put on my big girl panties, and quit whining about the update?

nemosfate
11-18-2011, 05:38 PM
Lol I like you your funny... Welcome to the forum...
K now what do you mean d2bootstrap and titanium isn't behaving the same?

Root, Roms and Themes, oh my...

cobracon71
11-18-2011, 05:41 PM
sure pm me ill walk you through

Leach19m
11-18-2011, 05:44 PM
It would be more beneficial for everyone to provide assistance in the thread

(V) {;,,;} (V) < Woopwoopwoopwoopwoop
Scuttering along like Zoidberg, on the move

nemosfate
11-18-2011, 05:47 PM
It would be more beneficial for everyone to provide assistance in the thread

+1

ktformie
11-18-2011, 06:03 PM
Wow. Thanks for the speedy responses!

For instance, in TBP, the guy on the video clicked on Problems? then something about busybox. I can't seem to get to that place. Nor is there an option to select the items to back up. I was able to batch backup/restore...but not sure if I am supposed to do all the little run buttons or just the green ones. On the bootstrapper, he clicked on reboot recovery and it rebooted to a system menu. Mine didn't.

nemosfate
11-18-2011, 06:13 PM
Wow. Thanks for the speedy responses!

For instance, in TBP, the guy on the video clicked on Problems? then something about busybox. I can't seem to get to that place. Nor is there an option to select the items to back up. I was able to batch backup/restore...but not sure if I am supposed to do all the little run buttons or just the green ones. On the bootstrapper, he clicked on reboot recovery and it rebooted to a system menu. Mine didn't.

For d2bootstrap you have to click bootstrap recovery, it will ask for super user permissions, click yes, then click reboot recovery

jwalz
11-18-2011, 06:15 PM
In order to backup your applicationg you use titanium backup (tibu) ... hit hard settings button /batch / backup apps.... don't hit the one that says to backup apps and system data

jwalz
11-18-2011, 06:16 PM
In order to backup your phone do as Nemo said

nemosfate
11-18-2011, 06:19 PM
In order to backup your phone do as Nemo said
That reminds me I should elaborate lol... once you've rebooted into recovery with d2bootstrap you can do a nandroid backup if the current state if you're phone under where it says backup & restore

ktformie
11-18-2011, 06:23 PM
It doesn't ask for super user permissions...it just restarts. I do have a lovely # showing up now; it's asking me to tap to update su binary...?

ktformie
11-18-2011, 06:44 PM
Ok, updated the binary and it asked for SU permissions...then restarted without going to any kind of system menu. What am I doing wrong?

jwalz
11-18-2011, 06:50 PM
Ok hold on. What app are you using and what do you want to do?

C Dippa
11-18-2011, 07:03 PM
OP, do you have the X or the X2? You posted in Droid X2 ROMs is why I ask. Droid 2 Bootstrapper won't work on the X2 if that's what you have.

If it is the X2, you can get bootstrap from here...http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x2-hacks/35900-step-step-instructions-rooted-x2.html

nemosfate
11-18-2011, 07:05 PM
OP, do you have the X or the X2? You posted in Droid X2 ROMs is why I ask. Droid 2 Bootstrapper won't work on the X2 if that's what you have.

If it is the X2, you can get bootstrap from here...http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x2-hacks/35900-step-step-instructions-rooted-x2.html

Fml I didn't notice that... thanks for stepping in C!

ktformie
11-18-2011, 07:15 PM

I have the X2 and I went to that site and did Pete's One Step or some such. Will go back and do the step by step and see if it helps
(Not big sacrifice since I really prefer the two-step anyway ;-)

jwalz
11-18-2011, 07:24 PM
.....good look cdippa

ktformie
11-18-2011, 08:28 PM
it has been running for about an hour now...should it take that long?

Leach19m
11-18-2011, 08:56 PM
No...make sure you have usb debugging turned on and usb mode set to charge only (I assume you are talking about the rooting?)

ktformie
11-18-2011, 09:06 PM
Oh. My. Gosh. I wish I had never started this. Please tell me that if I am ever successful it will have been worth all of this!

ktformie
11-18-2011, 09:13 PM
Leach, I am looking at your red links...should i try the Rooting Gingerbread and Froyo since the gingerbreak doesn't seem to be working?

popcenator
11-18-2011, 09:19 PM
I just want to say that the title of this thread is attention grabbing...lol

on the move..

ktformie
11-18-2011, 09:21 PM
That was my goal ;-)

Sent from my DROID X2 using Droid X Forums

Nemo aeternamn
11-18-2011, 09:27 PM
you'll probably want to use the root for gingerbread... since gingerbreak isn't working... your most likely on gingerbread... and gingerbreak doesn't work for the official builds of gingerbread

ktformie
11-18-2011, 09:40 PM
Ok, I guess I am rooted...Pete (whoever that is) says i am, at least. Now what is the next step?

Nemo aeternamn
11-18-2011, 09:55 PM
depends... what type are you wanting to do?

post script: by the way... welcome to our humble home here on the interwebz : D

ktformie
11-18-2011, 10:06 PM
1. Get rid of the stupid apps like city ID and any others you fine folk say need to go.
2. Make my contacts useful again and actually show the information like birthdays, etc.
3. Block future tresspassing on my phone once I get it back like I had it

Nemo aeternamn
11-18-2011, 10:13 PM
well... a great app to get rid of stuffs like city id... nfs and madden(three of the first to go off of my phone when i got my phone rooted for the first time) app manager by jrummy is great app

ktformie
11-18-2011, 10:32 PM
city id gone. Any recs for contact information...maybe works with back up assistant but doesn't sort everything like it did before rooting (Back Up Assistant contacts separate from google contacts separate from Yahoo! contacts...sheesh!)

ktformie
11-18-2011, 10:48 PM
You guys have been so wonderful and patient. Please feel free to keep posting your helpful hints as long as you want...I will check them tomorrow when I wake up. I spent the night away from home, stayed up past midnight, was awakened about 3 a.m., then had to get up at 6:45...I's tarred. Good night and thank you all! I don't know what I have done to my phone or why, but as (Katie) Scarlett O'Hara said, "Oh fiddledeedee! I'll think about that tomorrow." Tonight I'll just dream about my droid the way it was before the "upgrade" when I loved it so much...

popcenator
11-18-2011, 11:57 PM
That was my goal ;-)

And you did well. Hopefully these fine members are guiding you back to Droid bliss.

on the move..

ktformie
11-19-2011, 05:29 PM
I am not at Nirvana quite yet. I am rooted, but so far that doesn't rock my droid X2...or my world. Ok, I admit I was mildly shaken when I read that by rooting I have voided my warranty, but too late for worrying about that, right? So I am rooted. The video I watched showed the guy doing a restart that the phone coming to some kind of system or root menu. Then he wiped out some stuff. We have established that Droid 2 Bootstrapper does not work on the X2. Here's what I have done so far:
Downloaded Titanium Pro and synced to drop box
Rooted my phone
Run Bootstrap Recovery with the D2B (but did that work since the Reboot Recovery does not work?)
Downloaded ROM Manager from ClockworkMod (I read that when I was creeping around on someoneelse's thread)
Flash ClockworkMod Recovery

Now do I reboot into recovery? If so, should I already have a new ROM saved to my SD card or is that what ROM manager is? Think more battery life when you suggest ROM, please and thank you :excited:

popcenator
11-19-2011, 05:47 PM
D2B doesn't work for the X2 because the coding was meant for the X1 and D2. The following thread has the link for tenfars recovery which is what you need.
http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35900

on the move..

ktformie
11-19-2011, 06:46 PM
Thank you popcenator. I am trying to follow directions...downloaded file expert. when i click on MOTODX2_Bootstrap_signed.apk it gives the message: There is a problem parsing the package. I hate when a package won't parse. Where did I go wrong?

ktformie
11-19-2011, 06:48 PM
For the record, I believed myself to be somewhat intelligent - perhaps moreso than most - when I started this post. Now I know I am "just another brick in the wall". Sigh.

savagerun
11-19-2011, 07:03 PM
Try this DX2 bootstrap link http://www.bandbinnovations.com/xda/DX2/Bootstrap_signed.apk

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

ktformie
11-19-2011, 07:07 PM
I did it!!! I decompressed and that let me move forward! Woot woot!

Nemo aeternamn
11-19-2011, 07:11 PM
nice!!!! your on your way to being set up properly!!!! yeay!!!

ktformie
11-19-2011, 07:32 PM
.) Unrar using file expert check
3.) Install the apk. check
4.) Follow the steps in the apk check

Your bootstrapped! check?

Get updated to 2.3.3 pre rooted
1.) Download the zip check
Download (http://mydroidfiles.com/downloads/TBH/P3Droid-DX2-Patched_GB_update.zip)

2.) Enter bootstrap recovery how? system recovery? lost me here.
3.) Select install zip from SD Card if I try to decompress from file expert, it wants to know about encodings...GB2312? Help!!!!
4.) Navigate to and install the zip

Nemo aeternamn
11-19-2011, 07:35 PM
so... with the files your going to install via recovery... you do not decompress them... leave them in their zip format...
with the dx2 system recovery... it's pretty simple to use... hit... i forgot what it says.. but it's the top button... then plug your phone in to the wall... then hit the second button... and it will reboot into your new recovery... then from there you can install the file

ktformie
11-19-2011, 07:57 PM
I messed up. How do I get out of here to start over?

nemosfate
11-19-2011, 08:04 PM
I messed up. How do I get out of here to start over?

Messed up where??

ktformie
11-19-2011, 08:07 PM
in the system root menu thingie...I selected the wrong thing and I am at the end of the choosing line, and I can't get out. I only have volume up and down and power buttons.

Nemo aeternamn
11-19-2011, 08:08 PM
If the back button doesn't work...
In the bottom you should be able to scroll to the bottom and there should be a go back option

We have nothing to fear but running out of beer

savagerun
11-19-2011, 08:09 PM
You can use the hardkey back button if you need to.
Edit.. Ninja'd
Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

ktformie
11-19-2011, 08:16 PM
No, the hard back button doesn't work, and no, there is no scrolling to the bottom and choosing the option to go back. Now what?

Nemo aeternamn
11-19-2011, 08:24 PM
Hmm... what have you done in recovery?

ktformie
11-19-2011, 08:29 PM
I went to the SD card then to the download folder and then it all went south from there.

popcenator
11-19-2011, 08:34 PM
Yeah, the back button should get you back to the main menu, if not I would assume a battery pull would at least let you boot up again.

Nemo aeternamn
11-19-2011, 08:41 PM
Yeah, the back button should get you back to the main menu, if not I would assume a battery pull would at least let you boot up again.

For some reason... The back button didn't really work with the x2 in recovery

popcenator
11-19-2011, 08:43 PM
I wish I had more experience with the X2, where's Juhde when you need him lol.

ktformie
11-19-2011, 08:45 PM
ok, I selected install zip from SD card. My next choices are:
apply sdcard:update.zip
choose zip from sdcard
toggle signature verification
toggle script asserts
choose zip from internal sdcard

which do I choose? (since I obviously chose wrong before)

popcenator
11-19-2011, 08:49 PM
Just so I'm on the same page, you're trying to install Prerooted 2.3.3?

ktformie
11-19-2011, 08:53 PM
Just so I'm on the same page, you're trying to install Prerooted 2.3.3?

Yes, GB 2.3.3

Nemo aeternamn
11-19-2011, 09:07 PM
ok, I selected install zip from SD card. My next choices are:
apply sdcard:update.zip
choose zip from sdcard
toggle signature verification
toggle script asserts
choose zip from internal sdcard

which do I choose? (since I obviously chose wrong before)

You'll wanna choose "choose zip from sd card"
Do you know where the file is located?
If it's in the internal memory our the sd card?

ktformie
11-19-2011, 09:23 PM
hmmm...when I was in file expert I saw it under a folder called download...so that is where I navigated to...when I get to it, then click on the power button to choose it goes back to the top of the list. I don't seem to be accomplishing anything

Nemo aeternamn
11-19-2011, 09:25 PM
If that's what it's doing... They mend the folder is empty...
Do you know where the file is located?

ktformie
11-19-2011, 09:32 PM
ok, I found it. I did it. it says E:Error in emmc/download/P3Droid-DX2-Patched_GB_update.zip
(status 7)
Installation aborted.
now what?

popcenator
11-19-2011, 09:51 PM
I know this sounds like you just wasted all this time, but you could SBF, take the 2.3.4 OTA, then reroot and you'll be on the latest GB version.

ktformie
11-19-2011, 09:57 PM
At this point I would do that (or anything!) if I knew what in the heck SBF means and how to do it! Will you give me instructions and leave nothing out? I am no longer considering myself worthy of the whole rooting experience and I just want to crawl in my bed in the fetal position and suck my thumb while I cry for my mama.

popcenator
11-19-2011, 10:11 PM
Here's a good step by step write up.
http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37159

on the move..

ktformie
11-20-2011, 01:22 AM
Ok,I have followed the step-by-step sbf. I was successful. yea me. Now what? Call it a day or re-root, or what? It seems I have to re-root to get my system files back...right?

nemosfate
11-20-2011, 01:28 AM
You have to do this to get the latest if you haven't

take the 2.3.4 OTA, then reroot and you'll be on the latest GB version.
Settings-about phone-update-... I think that's right to find it

ktformie
11-20-2011, 04:39 PM
To all who have held my hand, I salute you! You did a phenomenal job sharing your expertise and displaying such patience. As soon as I can figure out how to hit the thank you button (?where is that darn thing?) I will.

Lessons I learned:
Rooting is not for sissies.
Unrooting is way easier than rooting.
Rooting the second time is easier than rooting the first time but not as easy as unrooting.
Since memory isn't that big of an issue for me, I probably didn't need to do all this - but now that I am finished I am glad I had the experience. No really, I am. Honest.
My contacts were fixed, not by rooting, but rather by downloading GO Contacts EX and making it my default contact program. Sheesh!
Rooting did allow me to get rid of some irritants like CityID, Let's Golf and NFS Shift. I like not looking at them.
Apparently, the last group of steps of the rooting directions were not necessary since I already had the latest GB. IDK. I didn't do it the second try after I got stuck on it the first try and everything seems to work fine.
It matters which program you used to download certain apps, i.e. Dolphin HD.
It's pretty hard to brick your phone if you do follow directions to the letter.
Droid X2 Forum guys are the best ever. Really. Patient, kind, considerate. They never once agreed with me when I talked about how stupid I am. I like that!

Things I want to learn:
How to calibrate my battery to get more life out of it (I am working on that now).
Which programs I can delete now that I am through with the rooting. Or should I just keep them? Tibu seems useful. System Recovery? Droid 2 Bootstrapper? Dolphin HD - use it all the time or just go back to regular browser for most things? I like the tabs, for sure. ROM Manager? Some of these seem like duplicates.
Can I (should I?) get rid of things like Verizon Navigator and V Cast media and video that cost money so I won't use them most likely?
I would also like very much to understand ROMs. What do they do? Is there a better one for battery life?

Thank you all for your wonderful support. You held my hand well.

nemosfate
11-20-2011, 04:48 PM
d2bootstrap is for Droid 2 and Droid x1
i'm not sure rom manager works on the x2
You can delete vz navigator and the vcast apps

adamwhitehead
11-20-2011, 05:08 PM
d2bootstrap is for Droid 2 and Droid x1
i'm not sure rom manager works on the x2
You can delete vz navigator and the vcast apps

I wouldn't delete, just freeze.

Leach19m
11-20-2011, 05:15 PM

Agreed. Or rename (put a .bak after the apk)

nemosfate
11-20-2011, 05:40 PM

Good point lol

popcenator
11-20-2011, 05:43 PM
To calibrate the battery, charge the battery to 100%, get Battery Calibration from the market, use that to calibrate the battery, unplug, let the battery drain completely (until it dies), then charge to 100% again.

on the move..

ktformie
11-20-2011, 06:57 PM
One more quick question...no, two.
I am following the directions here (http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-apps/40319-battery-calibration.html) to get more battery life. It says to reboot buy my only option is to power off and restarting takes me to the dual core screen and no further (it was taking me to the recovery menu but I froze system recovery trying to circumvent that). If I wait and pull the battery during the droid animation it goes back to the dual core screen. Holding the power button doesn't restart it. I am plugged into a wall charger. Can someone help me figure out why my phone is not rebooting as the directions indicate it should?

The other question is do I want to even bother trying to do this or do I just want to get the calibration program from the market?

ktformie
11-20-2011, 07:44 PM
Nevermind. I downloaded the program Popcenator recommended and learned that my battery is at 4198V...only 2V lower than the ideal. I can live with that. Thanks again everyone!

scotch1020
11-25-2011, 11:34 PM
If you go into to recovery screen, go to advanced, wipe battery data, after you charge to 100% drain and recharge it will recalibrate also without having another "app" installed

scotch1020
11-25-2011, 11:36 PM
Also rom's are very useful to get more out of the phone..... I like eclipse and its simple......

DROID x2 2.3.4 running eclipse 1.3