PDA

View Full Version : Android 4.0

eppdroid37
11-15-2011, 08:27 PM
Just seen the source code for 4.0.1 was uploaded to aosp. Any thoughts ? Im thinking of making my own custom tom with it for the x.... Anyone wanna pitch in?

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

skooter16
11-15-2011, 08:28 PM
I would but I don't have a clue how to build a rom. I only have an intro in c++

cory46
11-15-2011, 08:47 PM
Hope you either have lots of time or a powerful computer cause ics source takes a ton of resources to build.

You'll also if building for the x should learn the 2nd init hack and know how to build cyanogenmod

eppdroid37
11-15-2011, 09:14 PM
That's what a friend of mine told me. It might take me a while but im excited about it.

eppdroid37
11-15-2011, 09:17 PM
Also buying another x tomorrow so I can try it out. If anyone can guide me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated. :-)

macpro88
11-15-2011, 09:21 PM
Learn Java, and lots and lots of Java lol

I think you will also need to know smali, not sure, but I think.

And yes, a powerful computer you will need, a mediocre build will take several hours to compile ICS, a high end might take an hour or so.

You can start by reading every and all developer articles on android's dev site Android Developers (http://developer.android.com/index.html)

skooter16
11-16-2011, 08:45 AM
Ill be glad to be a tester as long as it wont eat my phone for lunch. And then an ice cream sandwich for dessert.

eppdroid37
11-16-2011, 09:21 AM
Awesome. Just picked up my test x today. Java installed on my pc. Should I upgrade my pc to windows 7 ? Or can I stick w/ xp pro?

gunner1982
11-16-2011, 09:22 AM
Some sites are claiming after downloading the source after its un packed it might take up about 250 gigs of hardrive and they also claim a pc with around 16 gigs of ram and one he'll of a multi core processor would be better suited to build roms

macpro88
11-16-2011, 01:10 PM
Some sites are claiming after downloading the source after its un packed it might take up about 250 gigs of hardrive and they also claim a pc with around 16 gigs of ram and one he'll of a multi core processor would be better suited to build roms

Not really needed to build ROM's just to compile the source code that you've edited to create the ROMs with. Compiling code is a huge resource hog.

So yes, a Windows XP machine is only 32bit meaning it will support a max of 3.75 GB of RAM.

A 64bit Windows 7 machine with at least 8GB of RAM and at least a newer quad core chip would be ideal and of course a very large hard drive to store all this android goodness.

And when you installed Java, did you install the Java Developers Kit (JDK) and eclipse?

macpro88
11-16-2011, 01:18 PM
If it helps at all, the creator of CyanogenMOD said it will take him around 2 months to build CM9 to a stable release. Not sure how much time he puts into his work, buts a time consuming job editing source and creating your own base from it.

Since the DX is locked down, not being able to run a custom AOSP kernel, it would almost be better to wait until CM9 comes to the DX via 2nd-INIT and then just take the base, make your own changes by decompiling system apps and framework, recompiling it, and claim half of ownership since you used CM's base (giving proper credit where due is HUGE in the dev community, failing to do so will land you on the chopping block...) like what other 2nd INIT ROMs do, they all use CM base, but they incorporate their own edits.

I think it will be impossible to develop a custom firmware on the DROID X because you are not able to swap out the kernel for a custom AOSP one. Look into getting an open phone like a Nexus or Nexus S.

eppdroid37
11-16-2011, 05:33 PM
Wow ! That's alot of info to take in guys. Thanks. My computer is only duel core and I did install jdk ( I think ) gonna double check tonight after work. Thanks for all the input guys. Maybe I will wait until cm9 comes out, then just do some of my own tweaks and take only a little credit.... lol.... some is better than none. I did however upgrade to win 7 so that's a plus I also have 2 500 gig external hdd I've set aside.

BHuber09
11-16-2011, 05:39 PM
I saw this and I wish you the best of luck haha

FreeMyMoto!!!

theoilman
11-19-2011, 05:07 PM
For those of us not familiar with 2nd init what is that?

cory46
11-19-2011, 05:12 PM
For those of us not familiar with 2nd init what is that?

This :)

http://cvpcs.org/blog/2011-06-14/2nd-init._what_it_is_and_how_it_works