PDA

View Full Version : On Cyanogenmod7 - Batt sucks. Try new ROM?

jdwoods
11-15-2011, 06:32 PM
Hi,
I've been reading around on here for the past few days.
I flashed my device most recently the CM7 151 from here: CyanogenMod Mirror Network - Powered by TDRevolution (http://download.cyanogenmod.com/?type=nightly&device=cdma_shadow
I) really like almost everything about it.
Dislike the battery life. Its barely livable at this point - half a day and the battery is drained. (This is on an extended battery too!)

Here's the question: which other ROM options are viable and of quality? I read that MIUI is now using Ice Cream Sandwich as its base. True?

What should I work with?

The follow-up is, now that I am on CM7, how should I go about flashing to another new ROM?
Thanks in advance.

cobracon71
11-15-2011, 06:37 PM
yes its true and on 3rd battery charge with no calibration i went 18 hours on stock battery

but if you want to get on i recommend a sbf to 602 before flashing miui ics that is

BHuber09
11-15-2011, 07:17 PM
+1 do a sbf then you should flash miui its my personal favorite 2nd init
But the best battery life 2init is ssx

FreeMyMoto!!!

macpro88
11-15-2011, 07:40 PM
Extended batteries, specially third party ones have always seemed to be troublesome on the DX, improper reporting of battery etc. Have you even tried calibrating the battery and properly saturating the cells?

With the regular OEM battery that came with the phone in the phone:
-Turn phone off, charge phone to 100%, and leave on charger OFF for at least a full hour. This ensures a full saturation of the cells.
-Take phone off, turn on, and use the phone until you kill the battery, let the phone turn off by itself from a dead battery.
-Rinse and repeat, place on charger, charge to 100%, leave on for another hour at least, presto, your battery should be properly calibrated.

Battery are meant to be charged when our devices are turned OFF! This creates an even flow of charge into the battery without slowing losing some charge because the phone is on and being used....

On CM7, with my OEM battery, I will get 12-14 hours of usage, with heavy usage as well, and most the time WiFi is on when I am at work 7-8 hours a day.

Don't give up hope, just understand how the technology works, and use it to the fullest extent. Follow my steps above and I bet you will get close to double the life you are getting now.

maybish
11-15-2011, 07:41 PM
I was kinda wondering the same thing. Although my battery has been a little better since I had to wipe it last week. I've been thinking about sbfing and taking the ota all day!

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

Bkdodger
11-15-2011, 07:46 PM
I was kinda wondering the same thing. Although my battery has been a little better since I had to wipe it last week. I've been thinking about sbfing and taking the ota all day!

Do it LOL ...IMO ginberbread roms are much smoother ...plus you can then try the new Miui...also plenty of 2init roms on GB..and plenty regular GB roms that are great ..
Then you can use backups of each with no worries ...

Sent from elGato's X..
thru tapatalk...

jdwoods
11-16-2011, 12:15 AM
+1 do a sbf then you should flash miui its my personal favorite 2nd init
But the best battery life 2init is ssx

FreeMyMoto!!!

This may be a lame question, but how do I sbf and then flash MIUI?
This is what I did to get CYANOGENMOD:
Motorola Droid X: Full Update Guide - CyanogenMod Wiki (http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/wiki/Motorola_Droid_X:_Full_Update_Guide)

Do I need to the same thing?

Where is the right place to get MIUI with ICS?

Nemo aeternamn
11-16-2011, 12:27 AM
Well... Looks like you are on cm7 on the froyo kernel... maybe try giving it another shot... But on the ginger kernel...
Either way... You'll probably want to update your kernel... I got allot beret battery life on the latest version of cm7 on the ginger kernel... Or even try ssx 2.2...

We have nothing to fear but running out of beer

jdwoods
11-16-2011, 12:35 AM
I think I am on Gingerbread?
In About Phone:
Android Version: 2.3.7
Build Number: CYANOGEN_shadow-eng-2.3.7 GINGERBREAD.

I am not really sure what to do to get another ROM on here though.

cobracon71
11-16-2011, 12:47 AM
sbf to 602 the link is in my sig along with the root link once u sbf and root then you can flash miui

you will need bootstrap to flash miui when you get to recovery wipe data cache and dalvik cache the install miui

Nemo aeternamn
11-16-2011, 12:48 AM
While yes... You are on gingerbread... Your still on the froyo kernel though... The official nightlies are on the froyo kernel...
To get the updated kernel easiest way is sbf... Then you can root it with the one click root... I have both linked in my sig... They are great walk threw's

We have nothing to fear but running out of beer

jdwoods
11-21-2011, 12:46 AM
Okay guys... with your help, I was able to update to gingerbread, root, and install ICS MIUI.

Honestly, ICS MIUI is pretty cool, but I liked Cyanogenmod 7 much more. (For your info camera app on ICS MIUI is awful and can't stand the launcher.)

I have read that SSX is based on CM and is pretty lean on the battery.

:disappointed:I have a problem though - I can't boot into CWM.
Tried the following:

Tried Booting from Droid 2 Bootstrap multiple times with USB Debugging on and off.
Tried Booting from Rom Manager multiple times - auto install of ROM, simple restart into recovery, etc.
Tried Rebooting and selecting recovery with the power button.

What can I do?

Is there a manual key combination that works at POWER-ON? (Like holding Power and Home at POWER-ON?)

savagerun
11-21-2011, 12:51 AM
Once on miui you can never leave again lol.... Actually you press the power button and select recovery then when it boots you'll see the blue led flash then hit the volume down button then select latest recovery. Hope i remembered that right.

Nemo aeternamn
11-21-2011, 01:06 AM
Once on miui you can never leave again lol.... Actually you press the power button and select recovery then when it boots you'll see the blue led flash then hit the volume down button then select latest recovery. Hope i remembered that right.

lol... don't worry savage... you did remember right....

jdwoods
11-21-2011, 01:23 AM
Thanks guys.
This worked flawlessly!
Thanks a million!

flipdroid
11-27-2011, 10:39 PM
I have an extended battery as well, and I have noticed that with different ROMs, I think CyanogenMod being one of them, the battery percentage cannot be trusted. Try letting the battery run dead and watch your percentages. You will notice that the battery runs in the read or 1% for hours...I never timed how long the battery lasts, but I know I easily got through an entire day with moderate to heavy usage without killing over. That being said, CyanogenMod is still a battery hog...its a shame too because its overall a very good ROM...

Nemo aeternamn
11-27-2011, 10:48 PM
I have an extended battery as well, and I have noticed that with different ROMs, I think CyanogenMod being one of them, the battery percentage cannot be trusted. Try letting the battery run dead and watch your percentages. You will notice that the battery runs in the read or 1% for hours...I never timed how long the battery lasts, but I know I easily got through an entire day with moderate to heavy usage without killing over. That being said, CyanogenMod is still a battery hog...its a shame too because its overall a very good ROM...

this problem is known bug with the droid x not being able to read some extended batteries... i know there is a thread around here that goes more in depth on it... but i can't seem to find it at the moment...

flipdroid
11-27-2011, 10:54 PM
this problem is known bug with the droid x not being able to read some extended batteries... i know there is a thread around here that goes more in depth on it... but i can't seem to find it at the moment...

I've noticed some ROMs accurately read the battery life, but I jump from ROM to ROM so frequently that I never remember which ones did

havensed
02-06-2012, 06:03 AM
Anyone noticing wifi issues, its seems to turn it self off. Then its a pain to reconnect.

Sent from my Thrive, rooted and looking for more.