PDA

View Full Version : How to root Droid x2 running 2.3.4

duramax07
11-15-2011, 11:49 AM
I have searched for a while and have not found any info on how to root a Droid x2 running 2.3.4. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my DROID X2 using Droid X Forums

adamwhitehead
11-15-2011, 11:50 AM
Pete's root tools (Droid 3 one click). Just enable USB debugging

duramax07
11-15-2011, 12:02 PM
Pete's root tools (Droid 3 one click). Just enable USB debugging

So this method is not like the z4 root like I would do on the Droid x?

Could you post a link for me? :)

Thanks

adamwhitehead
11-15-2011, 12:08 PM
So this method is not like the z4 root like I would do on the Droid x?

Could you post a link for me? :)

Thanks

To my knowledge there is no self contained root for 2.3.4
This is the zip file from my dropbox, its easier for me to send files than remember links lol
http://db.tt/kBTA5EZH

duramax07
11-15-2011, 12:18 PM
To my knowledge there is no self contained root for 2.3.4
This is the zip file from my dropbox, its easier for me to send files than remember links lol
http://db.tt/kBTA5EZH

OK that will work, thanks!

adamwhitehead
11-15-2011, 12:21 PM
Just make sure USB debugging(charge only mode) is on and your drivers are updated for your phone, the process only takes about 5 minutes

duramax07
11-15-2011, 12:24 PM
Just make sure USB debugging(charge only mode) is on and your drivers are updated for your phone, the process only takes about 5 minutes

OK Ill double check that to be sure, I'm not too familiar with the drivers part so ill have to do some more searching on that.

So ill just download the drivers and what you posted and that is it?

adamwhitehead
11-15-2011, 12:27 PM
OK Ill double check that to be sure, I'm not too familiar with the drivers part so ill have to do some more searching on that.

So ill just download the drivers and what you posted and that is it?

Yes, unzip the file and run the .exe and plug your phone up to the PC, when ask connection type on your phone, select charge only. And click root, the phone will reboot 3 or 4 times and your rooted

Nemo aeternamn
11-15-2011, 12:30 PM
If you want a walk threw... I got a link in my sig...
And there is not one like z4 for gingerbread... The exploit needed to gain root access runs threw adb... So it will require a computer...
The root method was found for the Droid 3... So it's called the R&D one click root

We have nothing to fear but running out of beer

duramax07
11-15-2011, 12:35 PM
If you want a walk threw... I got a link in my sig...
And there is not one like z4 for gingerbread... The exploit needed to gain root access runs threw adb... So it will require a computer...
The root method was found for the Droid 3... So it's called the R&D one click root

We have nothing to fear but running out of beer

Awesome! Thanks for the help, ill be sure to check out your link this afternoon when I get back to my computer.

duramax07
11-15-2011, 06:36 PM
Just wanted to give an update and say thanks for the help! I just now got home and rooted the phone, i am trying out the wireless tether now :)

mikeyz
12-06-2011, 11:30 AM
Hey my name is mike and I'm new to this I seen one of your posts on how to root an Droid x2 on 2.3.4 an I tried it but all that it said was searching for phone... any help please

shawn
12-06-2011, 11:33 AM
Hey my name is mike and I'm new to this I seen one of your posts on how to root an Droid x2 on 2.3.4 an I tried it but all that it said was searching for phone... any help please

Go into settings applications development and make sure debugging is enabled

mikeyz
12-06-2011, 11:36 AM
Thanks

mikeyz
12-06-2011, 01:23 PM
I enabled. The debugging and I still continue to get searching for phone .. any other help .. thanks

shawn
12-06-2011, 01:51 PM
With mine I had connect as charge only I believe but first time I had to go one at a time till it picked it up

Also may download and install newest drivers don't have the link but there is a thread over at Rootz wiki that has all the stuff you need

mikeyz
12-06-2011, 01:56 PM
Thanks I will try that.. I'm going to look into it maybe I have it all wrong.. I have a Droidx2 on 2.3.4 am I looking in the correct spot?

shawn
12-06-2011, 03:34 PM
Yea there is a 1 click app and the drivers in the thread over there I'm at work or I'd post links to all of it I'll check back tonight if ya ain't got it yet I'll walk you through it

juhde
12-06-2011, 04:35 PM
Thanks I will try that.. I'm going to look into it maybe I have it all wrong.. I have a Droidx2 on 2.3.4 am I looking in the correct spot?

Check here (http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37965) for detailed instructions on rooting gingerbread. Ignore any reference to d3 or the OG X as this method works for all motorola phones. Sooooo just because it says d3 doesn't mean it won't work on your x2, cause trust me it will! :D

Sent from my Android device.

mikeyz
12-06-2011, 04:59 PM
I'm at work but I will try as soon as I get home thanks guys..

victimssun
12-06-2011, 11:04 PM
Which method are you using? I was a long time fan of Pete's, but Zergrush's works a lot faster, and consistent. You can give that a try.

[16/Nov][ROOTING/UNROOTING] DooMLoRD's Easy Rooting Toolkit [v3.0](zergRush Exploit) - xda-developers (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1321582)

mikeyz
12-07-2011, 01:19 AM
I'm trying it your way but all it says now is web server is out of date. Killing deamon started successfully.

ttown58
12-12-2011, 01:43 PM
Hi everyone, I didn't want to start a new thread for this so hopefully someone sees this! I want to root my X2 running 2.3.4 but want to make sure I have my ducks in a row first. I downloaded Pete's root tool and am ready to run that. So when that is done what do I need to do? I've read on here about Titanium backup and DX2 bootstrap to backup my system. Do I get those from the market and are they free or are those apps that I need to pay for? Also am I missing a step or is that all there is to it? I've clearly never rooted before so any help would be greatly appreciated!

juhde
12-12-2011, 07:13 PM
Titanium Backup isn't necessary, but it is a highly useful app. It's available in the market. The bootstrap also isn't necessary but with out it you cant make or restore a nandroid backup (a complete system backup, restoring a nandroid backup will put everything back exactly the way it was when you made the backup.) Also you can't flash a new ROM without it. The bootstrap is available on most forums (forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1169677), but not the market.

ttown58
12-12-2011, 07:24 PM
Titanium Backup isn't necessary, but it is a highly useful app. It's available in the market. The bootstrap also isn't necessary but with out it you cant make or restore a nandroid backup (a complete system backup, restoring a nandroid backup will put everything back exactly the way it was when you made the backup.) Also you can't flash a new ROM without it. The bootstrap is available on most forums (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1169677), but not the market.

Got it, thank you very much. Do I download titanium backup before I root or does it matter? And is the free version good enough or is it worth it to buy the pro version?

juhde
12-12-2011, 07:36 PM
You can download it whenever, but it won't do anything until after you're rooted. Try out the free version and make the decision yourself. I can tell you that I have the pro version and have had it ever since I started my Android life back in '09.

If you plan on trying multiple ROMs, messing with system stuff that might lead to sbfing (completely resetting and re writing you phone back to stock, out of the box setting), or if you're just the type who wants to make sure you have backups of your apps and data (data like texts). Also it's very useful in removing system apps that you might not want (also known as bloatware). Either having complete access to this type of stuff is worth the cost of the app to you or it isn't. To me, I've got my moneys worth and then some.

ttown58
12-12-2011, 07:42 PM
Ah, I did read that right then, the free version doesn't freeze bloatware. Yeah I was probably going to try a few different ROMs to find one I liked. Okay then pro version it is. Thanks again, I appreciate it!