PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to wifi tether thats no ad-hoc???

jcmeyer26
11-12-2011, 04:54 PM
My droid tablet does not recognize ad-hoc wifi networks, is there any way with a rooted droid x to wifi tether that is "non ad-hoc".....Ive been at this a while i need some help

I have tried to following"

numerous versions of andriod-wifi-tether
barnicle
open garden etc

Nemo aeternamn
11-12-2011, 05:00 PM
Ya... You can pick up a wifi tether app from google... I don't know the site though.. But I have one that does ad hoc... and I can change it to a regular network to

We have nothing to fear but running out of beer

Scrapy McSlappy
11-12-2011, 05:05 PM
You can try wireless tether. It is the older version of wifi tether. It is by the same people. If you find their site in the left side of the page their is a place for older versions. Look in there for wireless tether.

Also barnicle and wifi tether have the option to change from ad hoc to master something. Change it to master and it should work fine.

The Droid x2 however does not support anything but ad hoc and not infrastructure. At least that is what I have found in my research.

Here you go. (http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/downloads/list) Every version they offer. I prefer wireless tether over wifi tether. It seems to work better on my phone.
Sent from my DROIDX

jcmeyer26
11-12-2011, 05:38 PM
I have tried the older versions they still show up as a ad-hov, can you tell me more specifics on where the barnicle and wifi-tether settings I need to change are. If not what version # of wireless tether are you using and is it non ad-hoc

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

Scrapy McSlappy
11-12-2011, 05:50 PM
Ok. I am useing wireless tether version 2.0.6. That one automatically sets up as infrastructure mode. I have no option to change it to anything else and I let my friend tether her android tablet, which does not allow ad-hoc, all the time.

On wifi tether the version is 3.0-pre14 EXPERIMENTAL. This one has the option to change from ad-hoc to hostap(master). Go to menu>settings>change setup method. That is where you change it. I have let my friend tether her tablet with this one also.

I was mistaken about barnicle. I see no option to change from ad-hoc.

Sent from my DROIDX

polarbehr
11-12-2011, 06:19 PM
Where can I find the older version of wifi tether?

Sent from my Xoom using Droid X Forums

jcmeyer26
11-12-2011, 06:20 PM
Nothing.... none of the older versions work they all come up as ad hoc. I tried the 3. pre14 and when I go to the change setup I have only two options 1. Auto 2.wext (adhoc) no master or anything

Scrapy McSlappy
11-12-2011, 06:31 PM
Where can I find the older version of wifi tether?

Click on the link in post 3.

Sent from my DROIDX

Scrapy McSlappy
11-12-2011, 06:32 PM
Nothing.... none of the older versions work they all come up as ad hoc. I tried the 3. pre14 and when I go to the change setup I have only two options 1. Auto 2.wext (adhoc) no master or anything

That's strange. You are useing an x and not an x2, right? Also what rom are you on?

Also have you used wug's aio tether patch? (http://www.DroidXForums.com/forum/gingerbread-development-hacking/30948-wugpacked-gb-tether-patch-all-one-zips.html) it has a new version of wifi tether that when you select device profile and choose Droid x then change setup on my phone it only has hostap(master).

Sent from my DROIDX

jcmeyer26
11-12-2011, 06:34 PM
Miui 1.10.21. And Droid x

polarbehr
11-12-2011, 06:36 PM
Dx running darkslide 4.2. Wireles tether 2.0.2. I can not find a way to change it from adhoc.

Scrapy McSlappy
11-12-2011, 06:42 PM
Dx running darkslide 4.2. Wireles tether 2.0.2. I can not find a way to change it from adhoc.

Yea I know on wireless tether 2.0.6 there is no way to change it but mine runs in infrastructure mode and not ad-hoc.

Sent from my DROIDX

Scrapy McSlappy
11-12-2011, 06:42 PM
Miui 1.10.21. And Droid x

Also have you used wug's aio tether patch? (http://www.DroidXForums.com/forum/gingerbread-development-hacking/30948-wugpacked-gb-tether-patch-all-one-zips.html) it has a new version of wifi tether that when you select device profile and choose Droid x then change setup on my phone it only has hostap(master).

Sent from my DROIDX

Scrapy McSlappy
11-12-2011, 06:44 PM
On the wifi tether that you tried earlier, did you go to device setup and set it to Droid x (cdma)?

Sent from my DROIDX

jcmeyer26
11-12-2011, 07:15 PM
Yes I selected the Droid x when ever it was available. I have installed the patch but maybe not the newest one let me give it a shot. I have discovered on a few threads it might be this version of miui...we will see

Scrapy McSlappy
11-12-2011, 07:22 PM
Good luck. I hope it works for you.

Sent from my DROIDX

jcmeyer26
11-12-2011, 07:30 PM
So it installed wireless tether which FC's like its going out of style
..it must be a miui thing and I hope it get ironed out soon, thanks for the help. Anyone else who stumbles across this thread who might have a solution ...feel free to post

FYI - what rom are you on?

Scrapy McSlappy
11-12-2011, 08:41 PM
Sorry to hear it didnt work for you. I am on SSX 2.2.

trentpreston
12-21-2011, 03:19 PM
You can go to google and type android wifi tether and download the latest verison. After installing open the apk and go to menu then to settings. Then click on change device profile and chose your phone. Then go to change set-up method and chose netd(master). Close out the settings and start the tether. It will create a mobile hot spot that is not adhoc and your tablet will be able to see and connect to it.