PDA

View Full Version : Clockword mod compatibility

jeems
11-04-2011, 09:28 AM
Are backups made in clockwork 5.0.2.0 compatible with the version 2.x.x.x in d2 bootstrap?

Here's what happened. I flashed MIUI and was playing with it. I wanted to go back to vortex for a bit so I selected "recovery CWM" from the menu and it reboots into the pretty blue 5.0.2.0. I create my backup, everything looks fine and I restore my vortex backup. No prob bob. Then a little later I decide to go back to MIUI and reboot with bootstrapper. It takes me to good old 2. whatever and when I try to restore it says it can't find all the files (.img files I believe?). Then it says restore complete after 3 seconds so it obviously didn't do anything. So, can I not restore 5. backups with 2. or did I just get a corrupt backup of MIUI? Also, do I want to and is there a way to update CWM to 5 not using rom manager? Everything I've found about upgrading says to use rom manager.

skennelly
11-04-2011, 09:42 AM
No they are not. If you are on 5.x and you want to restore a back up from 2,x, you need to flash the 2.x recovery. Make sure the backup is compatible. Chances are, you'd have to sbf between the two.

savagerun
11-04-2011, 10:12 AM
With 5.x you can restore a backup that was made on 5.x or 2.x. But you can't restore a backup made on 5.x with 2.x recovery. Think i got that right.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

popcenator
11-04-2011, 10:13 AM
With 5.x you can restore a backup that was made on 5.x or 2.x. But you can't restore a backup made on 5.x with 2.x recovery. Think i got that right.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

Correct, any backup made on the newer version can't be restored on the older version. Older can be restored on the newer version.

jeems
11-04-2011, 10:20 AM
Correct, any backup made on the newer version can't be restored on the older version. Older can be restored on the newer version.

Alright, so my backup is hopefully good which means I won't have to sbf, but what how do I get the newer CWM on to my roms that are still using the older one?

Nemo aeternamn
11-04-2011, 10:25 AM
Alright, so my backup is hopefully good which means I won't have to sbf, but what how do I get the newer CWM on to my roms that are still using the older one?

With rom manager... after the recovery is hijacked... Use rom manager to switch it over

We have nothing to fear but running out of beer

Nemo aeternamn
11-04-2011, 10:31 AM
And to add a little bit more... With cwm version 2.x and 4.x.... It created the back ups in a img file.... When it was updated to 5.x they changed it... So the newer versions create A back up in a tar file... Which leads to quicker back up and restore times

jeems
11-04-2011, 10:54 AM
quicker is gooder! Any issues with the new one? Just curious why all roms don't all go to the new version.

Nemo aeternamn
11-04-2011, 11:02 AM
the roms don't really have anything to do with that... as you can use either 2.5.0.8 or 5.0.2.0... it's not going to matter with the rom...
and there was some issues with 5.0.0.x.. but those got smoothed out with 5.0.2.0... so everything it good..

jeems
11-04-2011, 11:07 AM
I think I just don't quite understand how clockwork works/where it resides. I thought since it showed up with MIUI maybe it could be tied to the roms somehow.

jeems
11-04-2011, 11:09 AM
And thanks for all the answers. This place rocks.

popcenator
11-04-2011, 11:13 AM
CM7/MIUI and other 2nd init ROMs have it built in, but anything that's not built off of CM7 has to use D2/DX Bootstrap app.

jeems
11-04-2011, 11:23 AM
There's that piece of the puzzle! That makes sense given how the 2nd init roms work.

Nemo aeternamn
11-04-2011, 11:41 AM
CM7/MIUI and other 2nd init ROMs have it built in, but anything that's not built off of CM7 has to use D2/DX Bootstrap app.

Hey pop... doesn't the new liberty have recovery built in?

popcenator
11-04-2011, 11:50 AM
Ahh yes, I forgot, you are correct.

jeems
11-04-2011, 11:57 AM
Devortex alluded to it being included in one of his tweets.