PDA

View Full Version : Unable to boot to CM Recovery mode

areyouterryfied
11-03-2011, 10:07 AM
Issue: When using the "Reboot into recovery" option in ROM Manager, the phone simply reboots normally. If the phone is restarted and the Power and Home keys are held until the Motorola logo appears, and then the power button is released, the phone shows the green robot and a triangle with a "!" in it, but hitting the search key does not open CM recovery. Pressing the Volume Up and Volume Down keys opens a recovery, but it is the stock "Android System Recovery" console, with only four options available, in blue text.

What has been done: I have re-flashed both Droid X and Droid X 2nd Init in ROM Manager, both of which appear to complete without error.

Device History: Device was running GB rooted, then the latest OTA update from Verizon was installed via OTA. Device was then unrooted and re-rooted using "Pete's Motorola Root Tools." The process completed without errors, and SU is present on the phone.

Device Info: Verizon Droid X, stock Verizon ROM, System Version 4.5.605.MB810.Verizon.en.US, Android Version 2.3.3, Baseband Version BP_C_01.09.13P, Kernel Version 2.6.32.9-g34b360d - bmvq37@zin22lnxdroid28 #1, Build Number 4.5.1_57_DX5-35, ERI Version 5, PRL version 52363.

Notes: I have searched forums and followed several procedures that have worked for others, such as re-flashing the Recovery using ROM Manager, flashing an old Recovery using ROM Manager (although the "Flash Alternative Recover" option is grayed out and "All Clockwork Recoveries" only results in one item, "2.5.0.7). I am running the full paid version of ROM Manager, and Titanium Backup also can be launched without error so I assume I am fully rooted. Any help would be greatly appreciated, keeping in mind that while I'm a tech guy by trade, I am not familiar with rooting in general and know nothing about code or terminals. Thank you in advance.

Nemo aeternamn
11-03-2011, 10:18 AM
Are you using bootstrap too?

We have nothing to fear but running out of beer

areyouterryfied
11-03-2011, 11:07 AM
I apologize for the late reply; busy at work. I'm not sure what you mean by "using a bootstrap." When I rooted my phone prior to the OTA update, I purchased an app called "Droid X Recovery Bootstrap" by Clockwork Mod. I didn't reinstall it yet because none of the guides I used for rooting or ROM management indicated I should. Should I reinstall it?

Nemo aeternamn
11-03-2011, 11:12 AM
I apologize for the late reply; busy at work. I'm not sure what you mean by "using a bootstrap." When I rooted my phone prior to the OTA update, I purchased an app called "Droid X Recovery Bootstrap" by Clockwork Mod. I didn't reinstall it yet because none of the guides I used for rooting or ROM management indicated I should. Should I reinstall it?

Ya... Rom manager isn't meant to hijack the recovery like bootstrap does...
To use Droid x bootstrap.. You have two options....
1. uncheck debugging in settings/applications/development/
B. Use bootstrap to hijack the recovery... Then use rom manager to flash a different recovery

areyouterryfied
11-03-2011, 11:22 AM
Which of these are you saying...

1. I should uncheck Debugging and install and use Droid X Recovery Bootstrap
2. Uncheck Debugging, do not install Droid X Recovery Bootstrap, and ROM Manager should now work.
3. I need to uncheck Debugging, install and use Droid X Bootstrap Recovery and use ROM Manager to flash a different recovery.

Sorry if I am being dense, I just want to make sure I'm 100% clear on everything before I take any permanent steps.

popcenator
11-03-2011, 11:30 AM
Since you have DX Bootstrap, use that but make sure USB Debugging is unchecked.

If you were to use D2 Boostrap, you would need USB Debugging checked.

When you hit Flash Recovery (or whatever the top button is) in ROM Manager, it just changes the Bootstrap version.

areyouterryfied
11-03-2011, 12:06 PM
What is the difference between D2 and DX Boostrap? Is one better than the other?

Nemo aeternamn
11-03-2011, 12:23 PM
Droid 2 is pretty much an updated version...
It's the better version to use with gingerbread... and both will work great with froyo

areyouterryfied
11-03-2011, 12:26 PM
I guess though since I'm going to be overwriting that with CM, then I don't need to worry about using D2 instead of DX, correct?

areyouterryfied
11-03-2011, 12:36 PM
OK, well here's what happened. I installed and ran the Droid X Bootstrap Recovery app, and I tapped the "Bootstrap Recovery" button and it indicated it worked successfully. I then opened ROM Manager and tapped "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery" and chose Droid X 2nd Init. That completed successfully, so I then tapped "Reboot into recovery" and the device rebooted into recovery. The top of the screen indicates it's Clockwork Recovery, but when I use the power button to choose a menu item, the screen goes black except for the Clockwork icon (the half-circle with a tophat) and sits there. If I press any key on the phone, it brings me back to the Recovery menu list. This happens regardless of which menu item I choose, and happens regardless of what button I press other than volume up and down. Any ideas?

Nemo aeternamn
11-03-2011, 12:41 PM
Ya... In clockwork... It's like froyo... Use the camera button to select

areyouterryfied
11-03-2011, 01:39 PM
Thank you very much for your patience and time. I really appreciate it. The only other issue I'm seeing is that there appear to be no CM ROMs when I am using the regular Droid X recovery, and a lot of the ROM devs listed show nothing but a white screen when I select them. Other than that, I guess I am up and running, and will +1 you or vote for you or priase you or whatever I need to do for everyone to see what a great asset you are to this forum. Thanks again!

Nemo aeternamn
11-03-2011, 01:44 PM
Thank you very much for your patience and time. I really appreciate it. The only other issue I'm seeing is that there appear to be no CM ROMs when I am using the regular Droid X recovery, and a lot of the ROM devs listed show nothing but a white screen when I select them.

When in rom manager... The roms it shows will very depending on the recovery you flashed... And for ginger bread right now.. You'll want the nightlies under revnumbers...

Post script: your welcome : D

areyouterryfied
11-03-2011, 01:51 PM
One other stupid question...in ROM Manager, using Droid X 2nd Init, I go into the Nightlies list, and I can't scroll. I can only access the first 7 listed. Not a big deal, just wondering why it won't scroll. Is that FAD?

Nemo aeternamn
11-03-2011, 02:00 PM
One other stupid question...in ROM Manager, using Droid X 2nd Init, I go into the Nightlies list, and I can't scroll. I can only access the first 7 listed. Not a big deal, just wondering why it won't scroll. Is that FAD?

That's right... There are more... But to keep things clean they'll show the latest...
And you don't want to use those... You'll boot loop... You don't want the cm7 nightlies... Those are the official ones based off of the froyo kernel... Revnumbers us the one putting out the versions for gingerbread... I only see one in there

areyouterryfied
11-03-2011, 02:04 PM
It's a good thing you said something...as I read your post, I was up to 55% of downloading build #140...I have of course cancelled that and am downloading the only one showing under RevNumbers now. Thanks again.

Nemo aeternamn
11-03-2011, 02:11 PM
Welcome... Good to hear your on the right path : D

areyouterryfied
11-03-2011, 03:29 PM
OK well I think I've ran into a problem. I flashed the CM7 Recovery for Droid X 2nd Init, rebooted, downloaded the CM7 ROM from RevNumbers, it rebooted into Recovery, backed up my existing ROM, installed the new one and rebooted, which went fine. However, now I've got animation of a blue Droid robot guy going by on a skateboard, then it shows a big circle with "Cyanogen (mod) 7 for a few seconds, then the robot on the skateboard again. I let that go on for about 15 minutes, then did a battery pull, and it is back at the same place. Does the new animated logo get to the circle and stay there until boot, or does it cycle through the skateboard/circle until boot?

savagerun
11-03-2011, 03:38 PM
Just do a factory reset. Pull battery out then put back in. Then hold the home button then power button and hold both in for about 5 seconds then when you see the triangle screen press both volume buttons and scroll down to wipe data with your volume button and select it with your power button then wipe cache partition also. Then select reboot system.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

areyouterryfied
11-03-2011, 03:50 PM
OK did all that and I'm in, but if I didn't know any better I'd swear it was Froyo...I only have 5 screens and the battery indicator and other symbols in the notification area all look like the old versions...in settings / about / android version shows 2.3.5...

Nemo aeternamn
11-03-2011, 03:57 PM
OK did all that and I'm in, but if I didn't know any better I'd swear it was Froyo...I only have 5 screens and the battery indicator and other symbols in the notification area all look like the old versions...in settings / about / android version shows 2.3.5...

because essentially... it's the same thing... just running off of a different kernel... but it'll be the same thing...

post script: looks like rom manager han't been updated in awhile... if you download rom toolbox... or go over to rootzwiki... in the dev forum for the x... that's where the main thread from rev is