PDA

View Full Version : Boot Animation [I Swear I'm Not Stupid]

goose90proof
10-31-2011, 03:27 PM
Hello friends,

Essential info:
Phone: Droid X
ROM: Liberty 2.0

First off, yes I do have boot animations enabled in liberty settings. :)

I'm trying to apply the nyandroid (yes I know it's silly) boot animation to my phone. I'm having a bit of trouble though. I was following this step-by-step guide (http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/03/11/tutorial-a-new-bootscreen-will-make-waiting-for-your-phone-to-turn-on-suck-less/) by the android police. I used the copy/paste option because I didn't feel like screwing with the console.

I zipped my animation and used dropbox (forgot my cable at home) to move it to the phone. I edited the permissions as needed (rwxr-xr-x). I then moved the file to /data/local and went to test it out. No cigar. I did some googling and read somewhere that it needed to be saved as .bak

This was instantly odd to me because I know android uses the .bak extension for backups (brevity ftw?). Anyways, I also read that the phone first looked for it in /system/bin and then in /system/media so I copied the file to both of those directories and tried it with both the .bak and .zip extensions.

Still no cigar! Please advise.

popcenator
10-31-2011, 03:30 PM
Did you rename the animation bootanimation.zip?

goose90proof
10-31-2011, 04:55 PM
I used winrar to compress the gif in .zip format on the computer and then drop-boxed it to my phone so that was the first way I tried using it. I then renamed it to .bak and still no luck. Btw, I now know that renaming it .bak was total garbage.

EDIT: Yes, the file is named "bootanimation.zip"

cobracon71
10-31-2011, 05:36 PM
try putting it in system/media

goose90proof
11-01-2011, 12:43 PM
No dice.

jwalz
11-01-2011, 12:48 PM
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.arayray.bootanimationutility
Try this?

popcenator
11-01-2011, 02:03 PM
The file needs to read bootanimation.zip for the system to read and execute it as that. So whatever it's named now, rename it to that, then drop it in the /system/media and see if that works.

nemosfate
11-01-2011, 03:10 PM
Where did you get the boot animation from?

root, roms and themes oh my!

HarleyDude
11-01-2011, 03:51 PM
I used winrar to compress the gif in .zip format on the computer and then drop-boxed it to my phone so that was the first way I tried using it. I then renamed it to .bak and still no luck. Btw, I now know that renaming it .bak was total garbage.

You need a series of still images, not an animated gif.
You need to make a zipfile of the still images, but it can't be compressed, compression needs to be set to "none"

NITRO2
11-01-2011, 03:54 PM
i thought the permissions needed to be "rw-r--r--"?

goose90proof
11-01-2011, 09:53 PM
Thanks for the app idea jwalz!

@HarleyDude: I have a gif that I saw on Android Police website. It's a nyancat styled gif with an android instead of nyancat. The rainbow is still there and everything. It's pretty awesome. So what is a good application for reading and splitting the frames that make up the gif?

HarleyDude
11-02-2011, 06:58 AM
Thanks for the app idea jwalz!

@HarleyDude: I have a gif that I saw on Android Police website. It's a nyancat styled gif with an android instead of nyancat. The rainbow is still there and everything. It's pretty awesome. So what is a good application for reading and splitting the frames that make up the gif?

I use IrfanView, a free image editor/viewer. Use it to open the gif, go to options > extract all frames, and you'll have all the stills
You'll need to put them in a folder named part0, and add them to an archive with "no compression" and "save full path info"

goose90proof
11-02-2011, 09:39 AM
Thanks for the help thus far. I'm learning. I was able to successfully extract the frames using Irfanview to a folder named "part0" on the Desktop. I then used Winrar to compress it in .zip format. I looked for compression level "None" but it wasn't an option so I picked "Store" which appeared to be the lowest level. I selected the option "Save full file paths" and named the archive "bootanimation.zip"

I drop boxed it to my phone and edited the permissions to read "rw-r--r--" as suggested by NITRO2. I copied this zip to /system/bin and /system/media and still have no boot animation. I know I'm missing something simple here, but I don't know what it is.

HarleyDude
11-02-2011, 10:55 AM
Thanks for the help thus far. I'm learning. I was able to successfully extract the frames using Irfanview to a folder named "part0" on the Desktop. I then used Winrar to compress it in .zip format. I looked for compression level "None" but it wasn't an option so I picked "Store" which appeared to be the lowest level. I selected the option "Save full file paths" and named the archive "bootanimation.zip"

I drop boxed it to my phone and edited the permissions to read "rw-r--r--" as suggested by NITRO2. I copied this zip to /system/bin and /system/media and still have no boot animation. I know I'm missing something simple here, but I don't know what it is.

The part0 folder needs to be in the root of the C drive. I use winzip, allows for no compression. Look at part 2 of this post, http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/miui/33170-fix-applying-custom-bootanimations-miui.html, it shows how to make a non-compressed file, saving path info, with pics. Where it says "boots" substitute "part0"
Also, download an animation or 2 from the link in my sig, you can see the structure that way.

nemosfate
11-02-2011, 12:43 PM
Does he need the desc.txt also?

root, roms and themes oh my!

goose90proof
11-02-2011, 02:36 PM
@HarleyDude: Thanks for your patience. I'm gonna try these new steps. Btw, the first link in your post is broken. Will do a follow up when I try this out. Thanks!

HarleyDude
11-02-2011, 05:25 PM
@HarleyDude: Thanks for your patience. I'm gonna try these new steps. Btw, the first link in your post is broken. Will do a follow up when I try this out. Thanks!

Thanks for the heads-up, link is fixed