PDA

View Full Version : Preserving non-purchased apps and shortcuts when flashing?

patshatner
10-28-2011, 11:49 AM
Hi all. I'm very new to ths whole rom flashing business, so please excuse me if this is a stupid question.

I successfully flashed over to CM7 for gingerbread last night, but had some problems getting gapps to flash. So I restored back to stock GB, as I had to work today and need my google calendar and gmail.

My question is this: is there a way to preserve my apps and contact shortcuts, and their screen placement while switching back and forth between roms and stock? Or even a way to just preserve all my apps so I don't have to go back to the market and redownload them all?

Thanks in advance. This community is surprisingly welcoming and helpful when it comes to total noobs like me. It's appreciated.

Leach19m
10-28-2011, 11:53 AM
There are backup apps on the market (i use titanium backup, but there are others too) that will backup your apps and your app settings/data (including homescreen icon layouts for custom launchers). Due to android limitation though, widgets can't be restored like that, you'll need to re-setup any widgets you had.

On a side note, backing up and restoring user apps and data is super, but don't do system data from one rom to another.

(V) {;,,;} (V) < Woopwoopwoopwoopwoop
Scuttering along like Zoidberg, on the move

popcenator
10-28-2011, 12:00 PM
Titanium Backup = Backup apps/data (as Leach mentioned)

If you have an alternate launcher (such as LauncherPro, ADW, or Go Launcher) then you can go into their preferences and save the homescreen setup and settings.

patshatner
10-28-2011, 12:04 PM
Right on, downloading Titanium backup right now. Can you guys recommend a particular launcher as your favorite?

Leach19m
10-28-2011, 12:06 PM
I'm using GO Launcher EX right now, it's very customizable, supports themes, has multiple built in widgets (including twitter and FB,calender, contacts, bookmarks) and is crazy smooth and fast. Plus its free

(V) {;,,;} (V) < Woopwoopwoopwoopwoop
Scuttering along like Zoidberg, on the move

popcenator
10-28-2011, 12:09 PM
+1 on Go Launcher, probably the best out there IMO. LaucherPro is a close second..it's just quick and smooth but doesn't have nearly the options that Go does, but a good launcher nonetheless.

patshatner
10-28-2011, 12:17 PM
Nice. Thanks guys.