PDA

View Full Version : 3G "drops" randomly quite often when using wireless tether.

COVZ06
10-27-2011, 06:38 PM
Wireless tethering works great but a few minutes into it the 3G signal starts dropping like crazy according to the signal indicator. The signal never drops when not tethering. I don't believe the signal actually drops. It seems to be an actual interface problem with the phone because when the service "drops" I also notice that I can't even ping my gateway (the phone's wireless interface which is local to me and should have nothing to do with the signal. ) I thought it might be internal routing but that doesn't explain the wireless interface dropping. One interface take the other down with it and it seems that the wireless interface is the culprit. 3G never drops at my house. Does anyone have any insight to this?

Thanks,
Cov

COVZ06
05-08-2012, 08:50 PM
Bump! I have read that it happens on other phones too.

DroidXFanatic
05-08-2012, 09:47 PM
Happens to me as well and I think its a pretty common reported issue with tethering on the X. I always do a reboot after tethering and that's my fix to get everything back to normal with data. Wish I also new why it happens but I've gotten used to it.....

Sent from my DROIDX

COVZ06
05-09-2012, 01:04 AM
I hear ya. I read about 6 months ago that it was very common on tons of android phones. I was hoping that a permanent solution had come along. I notice that when My screen is off it tends to drop but if I use my hands to keep the screen and phone "active" the signal doesn't drop randomly. As soon as I turn the screen on it goes from no sig to 3g almost instantly. I haven't tested that solution for a very long time but I may need to now that I am skyping with the gf. Maybe it is some sort of battery saving feature that somehow got tossed in with the tether feature. All I know is that it pisses me off. I reboot the phone and it works well for a fair amount of time. Then out of nowhere it starts dropping. It seems to be fine when I do normal browsing that isn't bandwidth hungry but the second I try to stream a video, etc, it starts the random sig drops very shortly after. During normal browsing and streaming on the phone itself I never experience any of this, even when downloading torrents.