PDA

View Full Version : Apple Granted Slide-to-Unlock Screen Patent; Potentially Grim News for Android

dgstorm
10-26-2011, 01:16 PM
http://static.droidnetwork.net/dgstorm/df/apple-patent-7657849-swipe-to-unlock-drawing-001.gif

Apparently, the US Patent & Trademark Office recently granted the "slide-to-unlock" patent to Apple. This could potentially portend a slew of new lawsuits from Apple against Android manufacturers, especially since so many Android devices use this type of unlock system. It's important to note that this patent was actually applied for back in 2005, so it's not something Apple was being a sneaky about. Here's a tidbit from the patent,
A device with a touch-sensitive display may be unlocked via gestures performed on the touch-sensitive display. The device is unlocked if contact with the display corresponds to a predefined gesture for unlocking the device. The device displays one or more unlock images with respect to which the predefined gesture is to be performed in order to unlock the device. The performance of the predefined gesture with respect to the unlock image may include moving the unlock image to a predefined location and/or moving the unlock image along a predefined path. The device may also display visual cues of the predefined gesture on the touch screen to remind a user of the gesture. In addition, there is a need for sensory feedback to the user regarding progress towards satisfaction of a user input condition that is required for the transition to occur.The folks credited for the invention are iOS chief, Scott Forstall and Apple engineers Imran Chaudhri, Bas Ording, Freddy Allen Anzures, Marcel Van Os, Stephen O. Lemay and Greg Christie. At this point, it is unknown as to whether the new unlock mechanism in Android 4.0/ICS will be impacted by this, but we will keep you informed as things develop.

Source: Android.net (http://www.android.net/forum/android-news/66776-apple-granted-slide-unlock-screen-potentially-grim-news-android.html#post115854) via 9to5Mac (http://9to5mac.com/2011/10/25/slide-to-unlock-patented/)

MutantCheese
10-26-2011, 03:02 PM
Well that sucks, but unfortunately, Apple beat everyone to the punch on this patent application.

Leach19m
10-26-2011, 03:19 PM
It's a little odd to think that something we see and use everyday, that seems so simple, is patentable like that. Wonder what google will come up with now

(V) {;,,;} (V) < Woopwoopwoopwoopwoop
Scuttering along like Zoidberg, on the move

fnmetal
10-26-2011, 04:08 PM
It's a little odd to think that something we see and use everyday, that seems so simple, is patentable like that. Wonder what google will come up with now Galaxy nexus, face recognition unlock, via the front facing camera.. :)

Leach19m
10-26-2011, 04:09 PM
Lol well, that only works for one person.

fnmetal
10-26-2011, 04:12 PM
Lol well, that only works for one person. (V) {;,,;} (V) < WoopwoopwoopwoopwoopScuttering along like Zoidberg, on the moveI wonder if you could set it to allow more than one, but that is true..

fc127
10-26-2011, 04:24 PM
Hmm... What about fingerprint technology. Is there technology to read a fingerprint with the touchscreen?

Sent From MI UI on MY DX

Leach19m
10-26-2011, 04:25 PM
Doubt it, but maybe with the camera.

holly
10-26-2011, 04:40 PM
Well we know one thing. Clearly this result is something Google anticipated so it will be interesting to see what they have up their sleeve. Gobs of cash perhaps.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

gbrinn
Really? Patenting a "slide-unlock"? Wow. Sometimes patents just shouldn't be given for things. Case in point: Did you know there's actually a patent for the comb-over? I'm not kidding.

cory46
ICS doesn't "slide" really. You move to unlock from the center of the device maybe thats their out if a lawsuit comes because the patent picture comes from one side of the device to the other

Edit: err check that even says moving to predefined image much like ICS does so my theory is bunk

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

gbrinn
10-26-2011, 04:43 PM
On CM7, you can slide it anywhere. So maybe that's an "out".

cory46
10-26-2011, 04:47 PM
On CM7, you can slide it anywhere. So maybe that's an "out".

Thought that too till i read this

A device with a touch-sensitive display may be unlocked via gestures performed on the touch-sensitive display.

And gestures is vague and can be anything you do to the screen would be a "gesture"

gbrinn
10-26-2011, 04:49 PM
Thought that too till i read this

And gestures is vague and can be anything you do to the screen would be a "gesture"

Sounds a bit overly-broad, and maybe a way to take it to challenge it.

Leach19m
10-26-2011, 04:50 PM
Sounds a bit overly-broad, and maybe a way to take it to challenge it.

Lol all apples patents seem to be overly vague

cory46
10-26-2011, 04:53 PM
Yep just look at Samsung case. They infringed on intellectual property by being so closely looking to the iPhone. I mean phones are usually rectangles haha and they won that injunction all over the world.

Patents are needed but they need to grant them with a little more thought put in

gbrinn
10-26-2011, 04:53 PM
And probably are.

cory46
10-26-2011, 04:58 PM
Heck Apple was awarded patents on multi touch and pinch to zoom haha so of you use your hand or fingers on a phone you violate patents

skooter16
10-26-2011, 05:21 PM
Google will probably just pay Apple to use the technology. Plain and a simple solution. Licensing ftw

Usquanigo
10-28-2011, 12:57 PM

Leach19m
10-28-2011, 01:03 PM
Too bad android can't patent their software or user interactions.

Can you imagine, copyright infringement on the pulldown notification bar. That's dampen the wind of apples sails just a bit

gbrinn
10-28-2011, 01:04 PM
It would be nice to give crApple a taste of their own medicine.

tribals
10-28-2011, 01:22 PM
I wonder if you could set it to allow more than one, but that is true..

My Asus G50VT-X5 laptop has this ability and I believe you can set up the facial recognition for multiple users.

MIUI v . 1.10.21

X_man
10-28-2011, 03:24 PM
Just my opinion but i never liked the slid lock anyway. I have always ran an app to bypass that feature and just give me on screen accept / reject. Using the power button to lock and unlock is enough for me. But on the other hand I always carry in a case. I can see where you would want the slide feature if you carry in your pocket or something.

gbrinn
10-28-2011, 03:53 PM
Slide is handy. Buttons work too. I just think things like that as patents are...well...absurd.

X_man
10-28-2011, 03:57 PM
Slide is handy. Buttons work too. I just think things like that as patents are...well...absurd.

No argument there.

Leach19m
10-28-2011, 03:57 PM

Agreed!

zoe
10-28-2011, 04:34 PM
well seeing how the 'sliding' bit follows your finger, why not say 'pull to unlock' or 'push to unlock your phone', or even 'pull to bypass this screen' etc...

I also agree gesture is too vague, and didn't palm have gestures to perform actions on the screen a long time ago

[__)XXX)__)==l nvm, i'm probably drunk...

gbrinn
10-28-2011, 04:37 PM
Dunno about Palm. I haven't had one of those since '08.

cory46
10-28-2011, 04:53 PM
didn't palm have gestures to perform actions on the screen a long time ago

[__)XXX)__)==l nvm, i'm probably drunk...

Yep and Apple and Palm have already done/ are doing that dance over patents and wording

Leach19m
10-30-2011, 06:08 PM
Boosh. Proof that the slide to unlock was in fact not invented by apple. It was used 2 years prior to the release of the iPhone. The previous device has been used already in Sweden to revoke apples claim there; here's to hoping it happens here too.

http://m.androidcentral.com/apple-granted-patent-slide-unlock-even-though-it-existed-2-years-they-invented-it?utm_source=ac&utm_medium=twitter

gbrinn
10-30-2011, 06:12 PM
I reiterate my earlier point that patents for things like this are absurd...

I hope this works.

Leach19m
10-30-2011, 06:13 PM
Haha yup. Which is likely why the actual inventors didn't bother trying to patent it. Seems that this should also debunk all of apples gesture patents, as this older phone was also all touchscreen interaction

gbrinn
10-31-2011, 06:46 AM
Haha yup. Which is likely why the actual inventors didn't bother trying to patent it. Seems that this should also debunk all of apples gesture patents, as this older phone was also all touchscreen interaction

One would hope, but so far absurdity reigns supreme.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Markxxx
11-02-2011, 09:19 PM
Don't know if my problem as anything to do with this or not. But my slide unlock isn't there anymore. Anyone else having that problem?

X_man
11-03-2011, 06:33 AM
Don't know if my problem as anything to do with this or not. But my slide unlock isn't there anymore. Anyone else having that problem?

Check your running apps. There may be one disabling it. There are a lot if apps that have that option built in.

Markxxx
11-03-2011, 07:03 AM
Thanks. Now that I think about it I installed life is crime an slide unlock hasn't ben there

DroidXSkywalker
11-04-2011, 03:45 AM
It's just too bad that Droid can't sue Crapple for being a bunch of babies. Would love to see Apple lose to that one. Lol! Anyone knows Droid is stronger than Crapple, despite Crapple being around since the 1980's, but didn't have a comeback, until 2005 when they came out with iPod, then iSuck. HTC told Apple they should just play fairly, not dominate the smartphone world. Now Apple decided to copy Droid's notification bar, what else are they gonna try to do to take Droid out? Droid will take them out, cuz they're better and always will be.

hlaalu
11-08-2011, 03:33 PM
I'm sure google can come up with something fast and cool. Flick to unlock, double tap to unlock, swirl to unlock... let Apple have their slide :)

PomPWNius
12-17-2011, 04:44 PM
Wait, why isnt google able to patent things? Is it because its open source or what?

cory46
12-17-2011, 04:51 PM
Wait, why isnt google able to patent things? Is it because its open source or what?

Android is open source yes. Most of Google products are built from open source or open source ( chrome / chromium)

PomPWNius
12-17-2011, 06:33 PM
Android is open source yes. Most of Google products are built from open source or open source ( chrome / chromium)

Ok. I knew it was open source but didnt know that that prevented patenting. It makes sense though now that i think about it lol

Talon66721
12-17-2011, 08:20 PM
Hey, all! So, this just leads one to believe that Apple has some kind of relationship with the patent office, correct? From what Leach said, that tech is old, yet they let Apple patent something that isn't even their invention. Just seems a wee bit suspicious to me.

Also, if we're open source and therefore not allowed to patent our ideas, does that mean that the patent office will let Apple patent things from us?

Seems like there's a lot of things for us to be concerned about than we may have thought when this began.

cory46
12-17-2011, 08:31 PM
Also, if we're open source and therefore not allowed to patent our ideas, does that mean that the patent office will let Apple patent things from us?

Seems like there's a lot of things for us to be concerned about than we may have thought when this began.

Foreward: I'm not an attorney nor a patent guru :-)

Most of Android is covered under GPL (version 3 if I remember) and apache license. That usually holds up in court and patent cases

Not taking into account the patents Microsoft holds on some Android stuff.

Which is one of the reasons Google bought Motorola mobility for its patent portfolio

Talon66721
12-17-2011, 08:39 PM
Right on, Cory. I was hoping for something to help protect our interests. Still, if they can patent something that isn't theirs, i.e. like Leach linked to, it makes me a bit nervous. Not only about what they may try, but, more so, what they might get away with again.

Sorry, just irritating that they get away with some of this. Too bad they can't just play fair.

cory46
12-17-2011, 08:46 PM
Right on, Cory. I was hoping for something to help protect our interests. Still, if they can patent something that isn't theirs, i.e. like Leach linked to, it makes me a bit nervous. Not only about what they may try, but, more so, what they might get away with again.

Sorry, just irritating that they get away with some of this. Too bad they can't just play fair.

Yeah the patent claim ** SHOULD** be refused if proof can be shown that it existed before the patent was applied for.

Similar right now how Apple has NFC patent without NFC in the phones and Nokia had them in phones in what 2005 I think. But Apple patented a certain use of NFC

What it comes down to is the patent laws are not up to speed with technology and its growth

Talon66721
12-17-2011, 08:50 PM
+1 Cory! Couldn't agree more.

So, hopefully this will bring the shortcomings of patent law to light. Realistically, though, what are the odds that this will bring about a much needed reform to it, and how much damage will be done beforehand?

So many annoyances brought on by Apple.

MutantCheese
12-18-2011, 08:53 AM
http://www.fenwick.com/docstore/Publications/IP/Patent_Rights.pdf
(http://www.fenwick.com/docstore/Publications/IP/Patent_Rights.pdf)
I found this article which explains the open GPL and patents pretty well. Here is an excerpt:

Open Source licenses, and the GPL in particular, do not bar a software author from obtaining patent protection on
inventive aspects of his software. Nor does the GPL bar a
programmer from including his patented features when he
modifies some one else’s software previously distributed
under the GPL. BUT, the uses to which patent rights can be
put are severely curtailed when software embodying the
patented technology is distributed under the GPL.

Talon66721
12-18-2011, 01:30 PM
Good find, Mutant! Interesting and enlightening. More importantly, reassuring!

DroidXSkywalker
12-18-2011, 11:51 PM
I think Apple is too selfish and greedy. If you can't destroy them, sue them till you do. As far as Apple goes for lawsuits over their iPhone's design, the Samsung phone that they say looks like one still looks nothing like it. The iPhone (or what I call iSuck), has only a Home button, whereas Droids have 4 (in DROID X order: Menu, Home, Back, and Search). The four buttons are easier to work with than iSuck's home button, as when you use an iPhone (I've worked with a few iSuck devices, and used to have 4G iPod touch, until I sold it), with iSuck, the only way you can access any app settings, is if it's there to tap on the screen. If you want to search, you have to press Home several times just to search your device, if you want to see your most recent apps, you double tap home, and the only way to go back on either an app screen or website, you can only do so if there's a button in the screen. However it's easier to do those functions on a Droid because of the 4 buttons. So Apple suing a phone manufacturer is absolutely ridiculous, as Droids don't have the same buttons. also some feature phones have the button similar to the Home button, including my old Samsung Rogue.

Old_Fart
12-19-2011, 01:28 PM
You shouldn't be so tough on Apple there, DXSW. There are a lot of people out there that don't want to have to think, and find it easier to only have a few regimented choices as to how things work... Apple products are needed by those people.http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/images/smilies2/big%20smile.png

Android devices are for people who want things their way, and are willing to think to make that happen...

Talon66721
12-19-2011, 04:19 PM
You shouldn't be so tough on Apple there, DXSW. There are a lot of people out there that don't want to have to think, and find it easier to only have a few regimented choices as to how things work... Apple products are needed by those people.http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/images/smilies2/big%20smile.png

Android devices are for people who want things their way, and are willing to think to make that happen...

Ever considered getting into politics? You seem to have a way of phrasing things that most of us don't, myself for sure!

DroidXSkywalker
12-19-2011, 10:04 PM
Ever considered getting into politics? You seem to have a way of phrasing things that most of us don't, myself for sure! Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X ForumsNo, cuz politics are too confusing. I understand DROID better than the rest of the world