PDA

View Full Version : Hbogo + maxgo + hdmi

daankdroid
10-21-2011, 01:43 PM
Ok, I Googled around about this, but came up empty.

Well for some reason, they programmed the apps (HBOGO/MAXGO) to detect the HDMI connection and throw a message saying to disconnect it and play the movie again. Why they do that I don't really understand. From what I've read their original apps didn't have the limitation.
NetFlix doesn't have this limitation. It plays through the HDMI.

So question is, has anyone found a way to bypass this HDMI check? Probably a stretch, but figured I'd ask anyway.

Thanks.

Daank

jloya
10-21-2011, 02:06 PM
Ok, I Googled around about this, but came up empty.

Well for some reason, they programmed the apps (HBOGO/MAXGO) to detect the HDMI connection and throw a message saying to disconnect it and play the movie again. Why they do that I don't really understand. From what I've read their original apps didn't have the limitation.
NetFlix doesn't have this limitation. It plays through the HDMI.

So question is, has anyone found a way to bypass this HDMI check? Probably a stretch, but figured I'd ask anyway.

Thanks.

Daank

have you tried using a app to mirror the image of your DX onto your tv then simply just play the movie rather then having the hbogo app etc detect the hdmi?

I use Xternal Display in the market (free) works great

daankdroid
10-21-2011, 03:59 PM
Holy crap. Xternal Display works great 100% with every app (Netflix/HBOGO/MAXGO)- RealHDMI works but not with HBO or MAX. Interesting...very interesting.... Thank you so much.

jloya
10-24-2011, 01:22 PM
Holy crap. Xternal Display works great 100% with every app (Netflix/HBOGO/MAXGO)- RealHDMI works but not with HBO or MAX. Interesting...very interesting.... Thank you so much.

no worries glad I could help :)

never had alot of luck with realHDMI, xternal display is SOLID though

amorris101
06-14-2012, 03:46 PM
Xternal Dispaly not working for me with Droid X - trying to use HBO GO but it's a no go. Also tried to view promotional video from HBO web site with same results.

Results are - having enabled Xternal Display and plugging in HDMI cable - display on phone freezes-- on TV I see Droid X display rotated 90 degrees and I can navigate on my Droid X based on what I see on TV but display on DROID X is frozen. Do not see video on TV just DROID X "desktop".

running Android version 2.3.4 with system version 4.5.621.MB810.Verzion.en.US

Any help would be appreciated

Goose306
06-14-2012, 09:00 PM
Xternal Dispaly not working for me with Droid X - trying to use HBO GO but it's a no go. Also tried to view promotional video from HBO web site with same results.

Results are - having enabled Xternal Display and plugging in HDMI cable - display on phone freezes-- on TV I see Droid X display rotated 90 degrees and I can navigate on my Droid X based on what I see on TV but display on DROID X is frozen. Do not see video on TV just DROID X "desktop".

running Android version 2.3.4 with system version 4.5.621.MB810.Verzion.en.US

Any help would be appreciated

Plug in External Display prior to starting the HBOGO app, should work then

Sent from my Liquid ICS

amorris101
06-15-2012, 12:04 AM
Plugged in external display then ran Xternal Display app, then ran HGO GO. This worked to a degree - I was able to play video from HBO GO - however phone display is frozen and I cannot navigate around HBO GO to play what I want - if I happened to set up on HBO GO what I want to see and then blindly hit the phone display I can eventually get that video to play. I was also able to get HBO GO to do the same thing upon unplugging and plugging back in HDMI cable. Xternal Display app remained running and I was able to get video to stream and get to my TV via HDMI. This is essentially unuseable. Any help would be appreciated. Wouldn't be surprised if some of the other apps I've got on my phone are causing issues. My DROIDX is no less bloated than a Windows PC.

Goose306
06-15-2012, 06:12 AM
Plugged in external display then ran Xternal Display app, then ran HGO GO. This worked to a degree - I was able to play video from HBO GO - however phone display is frozen and I cannot navigate around HBO GO to play what I want - if I happened to set up on HBO GO what I want to see and then blindly hit the phone display I can eventually get that video to play. I was also able to get HBO GO to do the same thing upon unplugging and plugging back in HDMI cable. Xternal Display app remained running and I was able to get video to stream and get to my TV via HDMI. This is essentially unuseable. Any help would be appreciated. Wouldn't be surprised if some of the other apps I've got on my phone are causing issues. My DROIDX is no less bloated than a Windows PC.

While removing bloat is never a bad thing unfortunately it probably wont help your situation. First, due to hardware limitations the DX screen can only be on one display at a time. Thus you will always have the issue of the phone screen freezing, there is no way around that. With that being said, with most apps you can start the video stream then plug in HDMI, so its not a big issue. The problem arises with the HBO/MAX app specifically. They, in their infinite wisdom, have set the app to detect if an HDMI connection is plugged in. If it is, it kills the HDMI connection. This is by intent, for whatever reason HBO may have (I definitely do agree its a royal pain, especially when I can just as easily hook up my laptop via HDMI and get the desired effect)

The only way around it, as I said, is to start the Xternal Display app and plug in HDMI first, then navigate on the frozen phone screen to what you want. Touches are registered, you just have to get a feel for where the buttons are you have to click. Just make sure your already logged in prior (so you dont need to use the keyboard) and navigate via the browsing to find what you want, using the TV screen as a guide. Its a pain, I agree, but its due either to app or hardware restrictions so unfortunately we have to work around it. Luckily there is a workaround, and after 3-4 minutes with it I was able to get used to using the TV as navigation enough that I can usually find my shows within 30 seconds or so now.

Sent from my liquidMIUI

amorris101
06-18-2012, 12:24 AM
What you described is my experience as well - so there is nothing wrong with my DROID X. Was hoping to use DROID X to put HBO GO on TV via HDMI but think the blind navigation is too much of a hassle. I have a new iPAD and it too cannot spit HBO GO out its HDMI port but have found that watching HBO shows of interest (Treme) on the iPAD itself is satisfactory and better than dealing with the limitations of the DROID X.

The other thing I realized is that the video is obviously optimized for the small screen resolution of a mobile device and the video on a 24" HDTV via the DROID X HDMI port looks pretty bad. I imagine it'll look even worse on my 55" HDTV (haven't tried it and probably won't bother).