PDA

View Full Version : Smoothing out Rom Changes

jeems
10-20-2011, 11:03 AM
I have a problem: I am now hooked on roms. VorteX is the first rom Iíve played with and I like it a lot, but I am planning on trying out some others now. I think most of you will understand. However, I donít have a ton of time to just play around so anything I can do to make the process quicker/smoother would be awesome. With that Iím hoping to get some clarifications on some of the processes used during switching roms.

-Titanium Backup Ė Is it good or bad to restore all my apps using this? Itís one of the main reasons I bought it but in all my searching I came across a couple posts where people say they only restore from the Market. If I let it autorestore it arbitrarily installs them even though I might not want that app (I think it starts largest first so not quite arbitrarily). If I let the autorestore run it usually stops halfway through and says thereís no memory available and I canít install anything from the market until I wipe cache. If I cancel the autorestore the ďuninstalledĒ apps section disappears from market. So I use tibu for the ones that donít get installed. This just seems awkward. Should I just use tibu for all of them or is there an even slicker method?

-titanium backup point 2 Ė I know the system data doesnít play nice across roms, but is there any reason to worry about the apps and their data? Say I stay on VorteX for a couple days and then switch to SSX and then back again after a few days. Can I just keep backing up the apps in tibu no matter which rom I am on currently?

-phone log/texts Ė Can tibu restore these? I thought it could and I restored the [SMS/MMS/APN] Dialer Storage but nothing happens on VorteX. I can successfully restore these with MyBackup Root, but wouldnít mind being able to do it with one program. Is there anything I can do here?

-swapping back and forth- Iím making nandroids out the wazoo. Everytime before I switch. Is this overkill or normal? I definitely need to get a bigger SD cardÖ

Iím sure Iíll remember more next time I switch. Thanks!

fc127
10-20-2011, 11:13 AM
Let me give you my ROM protocol. Again, this is what I do... I'm not saying this is necessarily the best way.

Download ROM to SD card
Backup any new apps in TiBu
Boot to CWM recovery and Backup
Wipe Data/Cache
Wipe Dalvik Cache
Flash ROM
Boot into ROM
Skip setup
Restore apps with TiBu (Only the one I know I will want to use)
Setup Google account
Done!

I prefer to restore with TiBu, obviously. Whatever you do, don't ever restore system data. I have had no problem restoring app data, save a couple of instances but not enough to deter me from doing so.

TiBu will not handle you call log/texts. I know for a fact the you can back up texts with Go SMS and restore them on a new ROM.

Hope that helps you out a little.

jeems
10-20-2011, 11:41 AM
That's the kind of stuff I'm looking for. I've seen people mention skipping the setup, I'll have to try that. The auto restore is annoying and slow. Thanks, fc.

fc127
10-20-2011, 11:43 AM
Glad to help. I find it quite easy to go from ROM to ROM, but that will come with experience. Have fun with it. And, make sure you read directions!

popcenator
10-20-2011, 11:48 AM
One thing I'll add, if you use an alternate launcher (i.e. LauncherPro or ADW) then go into the preferences/settings of the launcher and backup your settings/homescreen. That way once you get all your apps restored and you want the same setup on the launcher, all you have to do is restore the backup and you're good to go. It saves a lot of time.

Kicker
10-20-2011, 12:27 PM
I have a question. I haven't flashed any roms yet, but I plan to. I keep seeing posts that say to Wipe the Dalvik Cashe...i don't recall seeing this option last time I had to wipe data/cashe (after I SBF'd back to .602)...can someone help me out here? I'm sure it is a silly question with an obvious answer, but I can't seem to figure this one out.

Thanks!

fc127
10-20-2011, 12:29 PM
Dalvik Cache is in the "Advanced" menu.

savagerun
10-20-2011, 12:30 PM
I have a question. I haven't flashed any roms yet, but I plan to. I keep seeing posts that say to Wipe the Dalvik Cashe...i don't recall seeing this option last time I had to wipe data/cashe (after I SBF'd back to .602)...can someone help me out here? I'm sure it is a silly question with an obvious answer, but I can't seem to figure this one out.

Thanks!

You'll have to select advanced in recovery then you'll see the davlik wipe option.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

Kicker
10-20-2011, 12:35 PM
Ah, the one place I never thought to look. Thank you both!

fc127
10-20-2011, 12:40 PM
Welcome

jeems
10-20-2011, 01:31 PM
One thing I'll add, if you use an alternate launcher (i.e. LauncherPro or ADW) then go into the preferences/settings of the launcher and backup your settings/homescreen. That way once you get all your apps restored and you want the same setup on the launcher, all you have to do is restore the backup and you're good to go. It saves a lot of time.

That's a good idea. Quick question though, what happens if you don't have an app/widget on the new rom that was on the old, will it just not show that icon/widget?

popcenator
10-20-2011, 01:37 PM
It'll show the icon but won't function so you can just remove it from the screen. I have the same apps in the same place on all the ROMs I run so its handy for me.

on the move..

Nemo aeternamn
10-20-2011, 02:10 PM
Another tip for ya... For easy switching... Check out boot manager...it's an amazing app... Great got trying out roms quickly..

We have nothing to fear but running out of beer

jeems
10-20-2011, 02:49 PM
Another tip for ya... For easy switching... Check out boot manager...it's an amazing app... Great got trying out roms quickly..

I've been looking at that. Does this take up a ton of space on the sd card? I'm planning on getting either a 16GB or 32GB soon so may wait until then.

Nemo aeternamn
10-20-2011, 02:50 PM
I've been looking at that. Does this take up a ton of space on the sd card? I'm planning on getting either a 16GB or 32GB soon so may wait until then.

It takes up a bit of space... Because it loads everything from the sd card... Right now it's using about three gigs on my card..

mapatton82
10-21-2011, 08:52 AM
I would look into Boot Manager. It will take a little bit a time in the beginning to get all the ROMs you want setup but then you switch between ROMs and get a feel for all the differences!! It does take up some space so if it is an option I would recommend getting a 32gb card, class 4 or higher would be best. Amazon has good deals on SanDisk cards.

As for restoring apps I use Titanium Backup to make a backup of all my apps and data. When i load a new ROM I will install Titanium Backup and there is a batch job that will restore missing apps and data, you will be able to select the apps you want to restore from the list. I would make sure to at least have you Google account setup before doing this so Titanium Backup can restore market links as well.

There are apps out that will backup call log and texts. Since I am using Boot Manager and switch a different ROM daily it seems I use a program called SMS Backup & Restore which backs up all my texts hourly then when i boot into a new ROM I just restore the backup file.

Hopefully this helps you out!! :)

01greycobra
10-21-2011, 09:21 AM
Where do I download boot manager? I searched for it in the market with no luck

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

popcenator
10-21-2011, 09:22 AM
Here you go
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.drx2.bootmanager&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5kc ngyLmJvb3RtYW5hZ2VyIl0.

mapatton82
10-21-2011, 09:24 AM
Where do I download boot manager? I searched for it in the market with no luck

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I know if try searching for bootmanager (all one word) it is the first search result.

EditL Or use the link Pop posted!!!

jeems
10-21-2011, 10:58 AM
This is all great stuff, everyone. Thanks for all the help!