PDA

View Full Version : Iris - Siri like app for Android [ALPHA]

wicked
10-17-2011, 09:42 PM
Well, we all knew this wouldn’t take too long with the wonderful android developers around. When the Iphone 4S was debuted, their main selling point was Siri, which I admit is pretty cool but not enough to make me jump ship. It was obvious that in time something like Siri would make its way to Android. Now it is here, well kind of. ;)

http://static.droidnetwork.net/wicked/apps/dexetra.jpg

Iris is an app built by the folks over at Dexetra.com (http://www.dexetra.com/) led by, Narayan Babu. They took 8 hours of messing around at hackathon and turned it into something that could really improve in the future. Before I get into the app here’s what Narayan Babu had to say about his app:

When we started seeing results, everyone got excited and started a high speed coding race. In no time, we added Voice input, Text-to-speech, also a lot of hueristic humor into Iris. Not until late evening we decided on the name “iris.”, which would be Siri in reverse. And we also reverse engineered a crazy expansion – Intelligent Rival Imitator of Siri. We were still in the fun mode, but when we started using it the results were actually good, really good.

Well, this may have started out as a fun joke, but now it's serious. The app searches Wikipedia for information as to what you ask. You can ask a bunch of things about topics such as biology, math, science, literature, art, and history. For example I asked “what is two times eight?’” it told me “16” Others asked funny things like jokes, so it does answer a variety of things, pretty much anything that is on Wikipedia.

http://static.droidnetwork.net/wicked/apps/iris1.png http://static.droidnetwork.net/wicked/apps/iris2.png

So for, 8 hours I say it is not bad. It is still rather slow when answering but this is still only in alpha and will be on the market in a week or so. I can see them taking this very far in the future and good things will come out. I can see this app doing task for you as well as answering questions. Want to try it out now? click here (http://lts.cr/2xF), remember the app is still way early in development and only took 8 hours to build so be patient and see what the future brings.

Want to talk to the developer and ask him about the app? Tweet him at @Dexetra (http://twitter.com/#!/dexetra)

Source: Droid Forum (http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-news/177778-iris-siri-like-app-android-alpha.html) via LandOfDroid (http://www.landofdroid.com/)

mopar-x
10-17-2011, 10:38 PM
The picks up what I'm saying well ... really well ... but never found any answers to my questions still it will rock once they get it humming!

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

kn0wsk1ll
10-18-2011, 12:04 AM
awww yeeeeah!!

Moleman
10-18-2011, 12:30 AM
Hopefully not using wikipedia exclusively... haha I mean, Michael Scott swears by it, but not everyone does!

tchnclfl
10-20-2011, 09:35 PM
It's refusing to answer any questions haha. It keeps saying to give it a break >.<

Scrapy McSlappy
10-20-2011, 09:53 PM
Ok look at the answers I got.

http://tapatalk.com/mu/aefd64bc-dea9-83a4.jpg

Sent from my DROIDX

TideFan22
10-20-2011, 09:56 PM
It does pick up voice good, but I didn't know it was gonna be a gag app when I dl'd...... I like when u use a cuss word it bleeps out the letters with * lol

ⓡⓞⓛⓛ ⓣⓘⓓⓔ ⓡⓞⓛⓛ

jareeb
10-20-2011, 10:15 PM
lol i emailed then and you need to not use the link provided up there goto the market and get it the right way lol. it works really good! its fun to mess with when it works.

DroidXSkywalker
10-21-2011, 10:21 PM
this App is alot of fun.it comes up with incorrect answers, yet funny ones. It's cool that X and I can finally carry on a conversation together

maybish
10-21-2011, 11:03 PM
I saw this but haven't tried it yet. Didn't realize its a gag app! Def gonna play with this!!

Sent from my Xoom using Droid X Forums

TideFan22
10-22-2011, 01:40 AM
OK now I see, the one in the market is real. Lol got me

ⓡⓞⓛⓛ ⓣⓘⓓⓔ ⓡⓞⓛⓛ

DroidXSkywalker
10-22-2011, 03:23 AM
This app is hilarious! I spent the last 2 1/2 playing with it, and saying some really goofy stuff to my X, and it actually answered back. If you have the sound on it talks in it's voice that's the same voice as it's GPS voice. This app is already one of my favoritezips. I said, Hello X, How are you, and it said Good, how are you? Then I asked it something and it tried to propose to me. You can ask it the most goofy questions and it will answer you. I've said things that are not questions and it replied. It's so much fun having my X and I talk back and fourth. Also out kept calling me a robot. I kept calling it a Droid, and it kept telling me it wasn't one. This app cracks me up! It's not everyday that you get to have an actual conversation with a Droid, especially since it's a non living thing. But who said that Droids can't speak like a living human being, cuz mine does.

firefighterguy
10-22-2011, 05:16 AM
Hopefully not using wikipedia exclusively... haha I mean, Michael Scott swears by it, but not everyone does!

I swear at it and to it. Lmfao!

"Patriotism is supporting your Country at all times. And your government only when it deserves it" --Mark Twain

Matt127
10-23-2011, 09:29 PM
i asked it a question and it asked me how much i love i!!

DroidXSkywalker
10-23-2011, 10:45 PM
I have asked it Xtremly inappropriate questions (not repeating them on here), and it made me laugh with what it said back to me. Also I figured out how to uncensor bad language on it, so it shows and says bad words which I find funny. all you have to do is go to Settings-Voice Input/output, and uncheck Block Offensive language, and it will say and show bad words. But if you're around young children, better censor it. Sorry if that offends anyone. My best friend was visiting and he had his Droid Bionic with him and I taught him how to use Iris and to uncensor his Droid. We laughed like crazy with the stuff our Droids were saying. I cussed into my Droid in front of my African Grey, and Grey, and he, picked, up the F word, which cracked me up. Bad words don't bother me, as find them really funny, especially the one my parrot picked up. I forgot he was in the room with my friend and I.But if you decide to swear into, your Droid, make sure no children or African Greys are around, cuz they'll say stuff you don't want them to say. I'm really bad aren't I? Sorry if that offends anyone. But now my bird won't stop saying the worst cuss word ever.

DroidXSkywalker
10-23-2011, 10:47 PM
Just watch who your audience is when you say crazy things to your Droid. At least it recognized my English accent which is very deep.

DroidXSkywalker
10-23-2011, 10:48 PM
At least my X got to meet and become friends with a Droid Bionic, though

Bungle
10-23-2011, 11:36 PM
Either voice isn't working on cm7 gb or I somehow disabled it altogether.

DroidXSkywalker
10-24-2011, 12:41 AM
Actually there's a sound thing you download in the Market which is a plug in for it. That will make your X talk.

DroidXSkywalker
10-24-2011, 11:02 AM
Ok, I started talking to X via Iris, and I told her about my near death Xperience I had almost 2 months ago, and she said "at least you're still here". Its weird how you can carry on a conversation with a smartphone and it will talk back to you like another human, even though its a Droid.

Krunk_Kracker
10-24-2011, 02:35 PM

DroidXSkywalker
10-26-2011, 12:14 AM
This app gets funnier every day! Yesterday it asked me if I was going to die anytime soon, so I said, Not until you do. Idk recall what she said, though. I started telling it about my health problems and what I was going thru, and it seemed to understand me. Then this morning it told me it hated me. She also said that she needed a break from me. Iris can be so mean! But she's funny! Be warned she will insult you. But don't talk to her in the wind, cuz she will get confused. She thought I kept cussing her out, when I wasn't trying to.

ScooterCat
10-26-2011, 01:50 PM
Q: "Why do people order steaks well done?"
A: "What is your credit card number?"
Q: "Why, are you an identity thief?"
A: "Because the people at A.L.I.C.E. AI Institute programmed me that way."

:big smile:

MarkPopkie
10-26-2011, 02:36 PM
i cannot for the life of me get this damned thing to talk to me. it picks up my questions just fine, but it doesn't read anything out. i downloaded the tts plugin when i first opened the program, but it just won't work.
any questions? i feel very stupid... this should be easy.

Leach19m
10-26-2011, 02:42 PM
Is your media volume turned up?

(V) {;,,;} (V) < Woopwoopwoopwoopwoop
Scuttering along like Zoidberg, on the move

MarkPopkie
10-26-2011, 02:44 PM
Is your media volume turned up?

(V) {;,,;} (V) < Woopwoopwoopwoopwoop
Scuttering along like Zoidberg, on the move
haha i'm not that stupid... what about Accessibility settings. does anything need to be changed in there?

UPDATE: Uninstalled it and tried again... seems to be working now!

DroidXSkywalker
10-26-2011, 07:45 PM
last night I told Iris, how much I love my X, and it said, do you really cuddle with your Droid in bed and buy stuff for it? And I told it yes I do. Can't remember what she said after that

Lodmot
12-08-2011, 11:28 AM
Once I figured out that Iris was a "girl", I asked her the one question every girl loves being asked: "How much do you weigh?" XDDD
To my surprise, she actually gave me a legit answer! "Around 2 megabytes.

She also should be a bit smarter though. I also tried asking her other questions like "When are we supposed to get snow?", "What do I have to do today?", "How is the Muppets Movie?", "Where am I now?", and "Do I have any messages?", and she gave me nonsense answers for all of them.

I also asked her "What do you want for Christmas?", and she gave me lyrics to a song that had that line in it... o.e
It should only search for lyrics to a song if I say something like "Which song has the lyrics: (lyrics go here)?"

I'd also like to see Iris function like an 8-ball. Like if I ask a yes or no question, she'd randomly answer "yes" or "no". That'd be pretty fun.

Pretty awesome app for an alpha version though! Keep up the awesomeness! ;D