PDA

View Full Version : My MAC address on Droid X keeps changing.

DroidToro
10-17-2011, 02:09 PM
I recently SBF'ed back to Gbread Stock .602 and now it seems I get a new MAC address on my WiFi adapter every time. It keeps setting off alarms on my monitoring systems(I'm paranoid). Has anyone seen this before? It seems that the first three hex values are always the same. Those identify it as a Texas Instruments NIC card but the last three are always different. I have been on Liberty, .8 and .9, then tried Justice ROM and then MIUI ROM. I finally got tired of bugs and limitations can decided to back to stock for a while. Now I get this.

bolski
10-17-2011, 03:24 PM
The actual physical MAC address itself cannot be changed. However, you can set it via software, but when it reboots, it will revert back to the card's original MAC address.

Makes me wonder if the ROMs were "spoofing" the MAC addresses and when you've gone back to the original SBF, it's now using the true MAC address?

ttavis323
10-17-2011, 04:02 PM
{WIP} GUIDE: NVS_Map Creation *AKA How I fixed my wifi/MAC issues* (http://rootzwiki.com/showthread.php?6641-WIP-GUIDE-NVS_Map-Creation-*AKA-How-I-fixed-my-wifi-MAC-issues)*

DroidToro
10-17-2011, 04:03 PM
Yes, I am familiar with the linux ifconfig option that allows you to spoof MAC addresses. The funny thing is that it keeps changing the MAC address every time I boot. It may even be happening when I dis/enable Wifi. I used the .602 Gbread SBF Linux ISO to put my phone back to stock and that's when it started happening. it's weird. The funny thing is I used this method before and never had this behavior. I guess I can modify my monitoring scripts to ignore anything that has a DHCP host name with the "android" string. I wonder if some app is doing this...

DroidToro
10-17-2011, 04:04 PM
Ah... simul-post. Thanks ttavis. Looks like my issue exactly.