PDA

View Full Version : Smokin Deal! All Verizon Phones at Amazon for a Penny... Even the Bionic!

dgstorm
10-12-2011, 10:34 AM
http://static.droidnetwork.net/dgstorm/df/verizon-phone-sale-amazon.png

This is just almost too ridiculous to believe for new sign ups. Verizon is offering a one cent sale for all their Verizon phones! Keep in mind that this is for a new two-year individual contract only. Their renewal deals aren't nearly as good, but are still cheaper than the Verizon store. Here are the details straight from Amazon, "For a limited time only, all Verizon phones with a new line of service are on sale for a penny and include standard FREE Two-Day Shipping. Offer valid between 5:00 p.m. PDT October 11, 2011, through 11:59 p.m. PDT October 17, 2011, while supplies last." Here's a list of Verizon phones that Amazon sells:

HTC Droid Incredible 2 – $0.01
Motorola Droid Bionic – $0.01
HTC Thunderbolt – $0.01
Samsung Droid Charge – $0.01
Motorola Droid 3 – $0.01
Casio G’zOne Commando – $0.01
Pantech Breakout 4G – $0.01
HTC Rhyme – $0.01
Motorola Droid X2 – $0.01
Motorola Droid 2 Global – $0.01
Sony Ericsson Xperia Play – $0.01
LG Enlighten – $0.01
LG Revolution 4G – $0.01
Motorola Droid 2 Global – $0.01
Motorola Droid Pro – $0.01

Source: DroidMatters (http://www.droidmatters.com/news/deal-all-verizon-wireless-phones-just-0-01-at-amazon-wireless-with-new-2-year-contract/) and AmazonWireless (http://wireless.amazon.com/f/pennypincher/ref=amb_link_357765002_2?tag=droidmatters-20)

Vidfinnx
10-12-2011, 10:55 AM
Holy shy I have to get someone to sign up and sell me their phone

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

gbrinn
10-12-2011, 10:57 AM
Oiiii....

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

macpro88
10-12-2011, 11:30 AM
Wow... what a deal... I might actually take this deal up on its offer!

gbrinn
10-12-2011, 11:50 AM
Wow... what a deal... I might actually take this deal up on its offer!

Add a new line (activating a dumb phone for $10 per month) and take the new phone as my own...hmmm.

juhde
10-12-2011, 12:05 PM
Add a new line (activating a dumb phone for $10 per month) and take the new phone as my own...hmmm.

Can you do that? How would this work?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Droid X Forums

gbrinn
10-12-2011, 12:08 PM
You might have to do it in the store. The idea is this (and told to me by a Verizon rep): Activate a new line and purchase the phone at the discount price. You activate the new phone on your old number and put an old, dumb phone on the new line. This way, you don't have a data plan to pay for.

jwalz
10-12-2011, 12:13 PM
You would have to keep that line for 2 yrs so that's 240 bucks extra which is still better then buying the bionic for its regular deal

juhde
10-12-2011, 12:16 PM
You might have to do it in the store. The idea is this (and told to me by a Verizon rep): Activate a new line and purchase the phone at the discount price. You activate the new phone on your old number and put an old, dumb phone on the new line. This way, you don't have a data plan to pay for.

But doesn't Amazon force you to buy the data plan at check out? I guess hypothetically you could activate to your current number, then activate a dumb phone to the new number and drop the data plan. I wonder if that's kosher to do.

xSCARLETxSHADOWx
10-12-2011, 12:23 PM
But doesn't Amazon force you to buy the data plan at check out? I guess hypothetically you could activate to your current number, then activate a dumb phone to the new number and drop the data plan. I wonder if that's kosher to do.

The data plan will automatically provision to the account, but as soon as you place a dummy phone on the new line it will be removed. You can ask them to block data on a basic phone as well to prevent accidental usage.

Edit: Commonly when changing an ESN, extended warranty and/or insurance features drop from the account by default and customer service reps sometimes forget. If you want either, be sure to make them double check they added it when activating the new phone on your existing line-or within 30 days of purchase.

jwalz
10-12-2011, 12:30 PM
If u sign a 2 yr agreement aren't you agreeing to keep the data plan as well though?

macpro88
10-12-2011, 12:39 PM
I believe this is for new customers, not sure if you can use an upgrade to get this price, meaning you are stuck with the tiered data....

Also, make note in that tiny tiny fine print, that you CAN NOT get the phone the $0.01 and then try and sell it by activating another older phone on the line. You must keep the phone on that line for at least 6 months or Amazon will charge you for the FULL RETAIL value of the phone. That's how they get ya.

xSCARLETxSHADOWx
10-12-2011, 12:48 PM
Contracts do not apply to features, only keeping the line active for the life of the contract.

juhde
10-12-2011, 12:56 PM
I believe this is for new customers, not sure if you can use an upgrade to get this price, meaning you are stuck with the tiered data....

Also, make note in that tiny tiny fine print, that you CAN NOT get the phone the $0.01 and then try and sell it by activating another older phone on the line. You must keep the phone on that line for at least 6 months or Amazon will charge you for the FULL RETAIL value of the phone. That's how they get ya.

I selected a new line on my family plan and it's a penny, and if I activate a bionic on my x2 line and then activate a flip phone on the new line I'd still be within their rules, right? Or do I just have this all wrong? Wonder what a rep would tell me if I called 611 lol. I don't want to do anything wrong but dang, this is a sweet deal.

gbrinn
10-12-2011, 01:00 PM
I selected a new line on my family plan and it's a penny, and if I activate a bionic on my x2 line and then activate a flip phone on the new line I'd still be within their rules, right? Or do I just have this all wrong? Wonder what a rep would tell me if I called 611 lol. I don't want to do anything wrong but dang, this is a sweet deal.

As long as the line is active, you should be OK.

xSCARLETxSHADOWx
10-12-2011, 01:01 PM
When you chose the option to add a line, it automatically gives you the penny price, if select the option to upgrade, it does hike up the price.

You do have to keep that new line active, but amazon won't charge you for switching it to another line on your account.

And like macpro88 said, you will have to select a tiered data plan from amazon's site when ordering. So that's 2GB/$30, 4GB/$50, 10GB/$80 or 4GB, corp. email, hotspot feature for $65

So if you are grandfathered into the old flat rate $30 plan, expect to lose it.

macpro88
10-12-2011, 01:04 PM
Hmmm, well if it works for a new line, sweet. Does anyone know if it works for upgrades too?

After I purchased it, I stopped by at the Verizon store, asking if there was a way I could keep my current number, which is a line on my parents family share plan, and use my old number with my new contract for the Bionic. They guy said that unless my current phone is out of contract then they could, but then he said something about the new line with Amazon needs to stay active or the same for at least 6months to be able to keep the equipment deal I got.

I think that if I activate my Bionic on my old number, and then my X on my new number, Amazon will charge me for the full price of the Bionic, no? This is what I got out of the convo.

If anyone knows how I could keep my old number on my new line with out any ETF's and being able to keep the Bionic for a penny, I would like to hear what ya have to say lol.

xSCARLETxSHADOWx
10-12-2011, 01:07 PM
The disclosure on their website mentions nothing about leaving the phone on the new line for 6 months and I went all the way through the order until it asked for my debit card.....

One thing I am curious about is... If they do require you keep it on the line they activate for 6 months, and you don't follow their terms... how the heck do they charge you? To your Verizon bill? Because they can't charge your card again without authorization... right?

Oh yeah... VZW will never charge ETFs for an active line even if you played musical phones on all the lines on your account to your hearts content. All fees would be from Amazon. Verizon has no clause about ESN swapping in their T&C's that I have seen.. I haven't worked for VZW in about a year now but It was never an issue in the past. All they care about is the monthly access fees for lines in contract (:

gbrinn
10-12-2011, 01:08 PM
When I first chimed in, I didn't realize this was from Amazon (saw the post while on my phone). Being from a 3rd party, I'm not sure how to do the workaround.

juhde
10-12-2011, 01:15 PM
So if you are grandfathered into the old flat rate $30 plan, expect to lose it.

I would have thought my old line would stay unlimited and the tier would only apply to my new line, kinda like you can have a line with 8GB a month and a line for 2GB a month on the same family plan.

I think I'm going to call 611 and just ask what the deal is. I'll post what they tell me after I call.

xSCARLETxSHADOWx
10-12-2011, 01:21 PM
I have answers! It was frustrating me so I called my ex husband who works there.... and then I called amazon to be sure.
Apparently every month or so, Verizon send a report to amazon for lines they make commission from.
The report indicates line status changes (suspension, disconnection) as well as ESN changes
Amazon only gets commission from VZW if the phone stays on the line they activate it on for 6 months.

Amazon bills $250 via payment method from original purchase if you break the terms, there must be a statement in the agreement at checkout on Amazon's website stating you agree to authorize the $250 charge for a break in the terms & agreement.

So.... unless you want a new phone number or get charged $250... don't do it!

macpro88
10-12-2011, 01:44 PM
I have answers! It was frustrating me so I called my ex husband who works there.... and then I called amazon to be sure.
Apparently every month or so, Verizon send a report to amazon for lines they make commission from.
The report indicates line status changes (suspension, disconnection) as well as ESN changes
Amazon only gets commission from VZW if the phone stays on the line they activate it on for 6 months.

Amazon bills $250 via payment method from original purchase if you break the terms, there must be a statement in the agreement at checkout on Amazon's website stating you agree to authorize the $250 charge for a break in the terms & agreement.

So.... unless you want a new phone number or get charged $250... don't do it!

Ah yes, this is what the Verizon rep was trying to explain to me. Thanks for making it more clear. So basically for 6 months I am stuck with the Bionic AND the new number, but after that I can change the number?

xSCARLETxSHADOWx
10-12-2011, 02:45 PM
Ah yes, this is what the Verizon rep was trying to explain to me. Thanks for making it more clear. So basically for 6 months I am stuck with the Bionic AND the new number, but after that I can change the number?

Yes, after the initial 6 months, Amazon will no longer be reported with updates on your account/equipment status

macpro88
10-12-2011, 03:09 PM
Yes, after the initial 6 months, Amazon will no longer be reported with updates on your account/equipment status

sweet, course, by then, I'll be used to my new number and everyone will have it lmao. whats the point.... all well.

gbrinn
10-12-2011, 03:12 PM
whats the point.... all well.
Having a new phone, of course! :D

macpro88
10-12-2011, 03:21 PM
Having a new phone, of course! :D

haha, yes, new phone for sure. I'll take a new number for that, my friends can deal with it lol

gbrinn
10-12-2011, 03:22 PM
Exactly. It doesn't take much for them to change a phone number in the contacts list.

macpro88
10-12-2011, 03:23 PM
Exactly. It doesn't take much for them to change a phone number in the contacts list.

yeah, not like we are forced to remember phone numbers now! our phones do it for us!

Smartphones making Dumbpeople since, well, since the first smartphone lmao.

gbrinn
10-12-2011, 03:26 PM
Pretty much. My parents got the DX on a deal like this back in January from Dell. They killed their old VzW account and numbers to get it. I knew those numbers by heart. Nine months later, do you think I have a clue what their new numbers are? Not a chance, lol.

Leach19m
10-12-2011, 03:47 PM
Haha the only number I've memorized is my own. If my phone crapped out I'd be screwed lol. Been with my girlfriend for two years, no clue what her number is without my phone....but i remember her birthday (it is programmed into her contact info just in case I need a reminder though)

(V) {;,,;} (V) < Woopwoopwoopwoopwoop
Scuttering along like Zoidberg, on the move

gbrinn
10-12-2011, 04:51 PM
Haha the only number I've memorized is my own. If my phone crapped out I'd be screwed lol. Been with my girlfriend for two years, no clue what her number is without my phone....but i remember her birthday (it is programmed into her contact info just in case I need a reminder though)

That's about the same for me. I put every number and appointment in my phone. It is my lifeline...

Leach19m
10-12-2011, 04:57 PM
Kinda sad isn't it? Oh well, technology is still fun!

juhde
10-12-2011, 04:59 PM
Easy fix is to only give out your google number and just direct that to what ever line you want :-)

outkast2012
10-13-2011, 05:03 PM
I have a family share plan on a employee account, that finished contract months ago. What if I added 2 lines to get two bionics. Then make one of the new ones primary. Then disconnect the older two lines??

Anyone know if it being on verizon employee account makes a difference?

(Btw I don't work for verizon my friend does)

Will this work?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

GBleezy
10-14-2011, 08:45 AM
I see these phone + new line/contract deals all the time! This (thread) is the most I've looked in to an offer of this kind, and at least for this deal in particular - it seems Amazon only cares that your new phone+LineOfService stay intact for 181 days (6 months), as per their fine print:

If you do not activate or extend a line of service in connection with this device, or if your service is canceled/disconnected before 181 consecutive days, AmazonWireless.com will charge you $250 per device, plus applicable taxes.:sorry:

So if you went through this deal and got a new bionic for ˘1, you could cancel the new line after 181 days, put the phone on your old line and that's that! It's another $30/month for me to add a new line to my existing family plan sufficient in qualifying me for the ˘1/Phone deal...Resulting in like a $180 Bionic! :excited:

But on top of that from Amazon, there's the other half of the deal which is (as all VZW's phone deals go) the New Line of Service Contract (that +$30/mo) you must enter in to with Verizon - To which the following is a part of....

If you’re signing up for Postpay Service, you’re agreeing to subscribe to a line of Service either on a month-to-month basis or for a minimum contract term, as shown on your receipt or order confirmation. (If your Service is suspended without billing, that time doesn’t count toward completing your contract term.) Once you’ve completed your contract term, you’ll automatically become a customer on a month-to-month basis for that line of Service. If you cancel a line of Service, or if we cancel it for good cause, during its contract term, you’ll have to pay an Early Termination Fee. If your contract term results from your purchase of an Advanced Device after November 14, 2009, your Early Termination Fee will be: $350 minus $10 for each full month of service. :omg:

So, that's $290 in Early Termination Fees if you complete this deal for a Bionic and cancel after 181 days. If you for some reason you get a phone through this deal and cancel sooner then that then you'd be looking at a $730 bill minimum! :cry: