PDA

View Full Version : your privacy is over !

jrplz
10-11-2011, 02:54 PM
California Gov. Jerry Brown is vetoing legislation requiring police to obtain a court warrant to search the mobile phones of suspects at the time of any arrest.

The Sunday veto means that when police arrest anybody in the Golden State, they may search that personís mobile phone ó which in the digital age likely means the contents of personsí e-mail, call records, text messages, photos, banking activity, cloud-storage services, and even where the phone has traveled.
California Governor Approves Warrantless Cellphone Searches at Pat Dollard (http://patdollard.com/2011/10/calif-governor-approves-warrantless-cellphone-searches/)

is their a app to block this ? this is so ridiculous to me :shocked:

Leach19m
10-11-2011, 03:06 PM
Its only a supreme court case away from being ruled in violation of the constitutional right to protection against illegal search and seizure. The ACLU will make quick work of it I'm sure

Edit: FYI, this may be an allowable topic of discussion so long as it does not become a political discussion. Any discussion of politics or religion are violations of the forums rules and will result on the thread being closed. Please keep discussion on track

(V) {;,,;} (V) < Woopwoopwoopwoopwoop
Scuttering along like Zoidberg, on the move

jrplz
10-11-2011, 03:30 PM
hope so in the mean time any apps to counter this ?
thanks

Scrapy McSlappy
10-11-2011, 03:34 PM
Thanks for posting the F.Y.I. Leach.

fc127
10-11-2011, 03:35 PM
There is a simple solution to this... DON'T COMMIT CRIMES! Or, at the very least, leave your phone at home when you do.

Leach19m
10-11-2011, 03:38 PM
There is a simple solution to this... DON'T COMMIT CRIMES! Or, at the very least, leave your phone at home when you do.

Lol always the best course of action is to not do anything to get arrested for in the first place.

As far as apps go, not really. Seakdroid can be used to wipe your phone, though I doubt you'd have access to a computer with internet do do this while handcuffed in the back of the car

Wulf
10-11-2011, 03:45 PM
As far as apps go, not really. Seakdroid can be used to wipe your phone, though I doubt you'd have access to a computer with internet do do this while handcuffed in the back of the car

There's an ideal for an app, have a widget on home screen and when you see the red and blue cherries click on it and yell out voice activated safe word and it will start wiping data.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

fezrock
10-11-2011, 03:47 PM
If you're worried, use a strong lockscreen code. It will buy lots of time if nothing else.

gbrinn
10-11-2011, 03:50 PM
Or, as was said earlier: Don't do anything that would get you arrested.

jrplz
10-11-2011, 04:38 PM
ok guys im no looking to commit crimes ! im just wondering if there was an app to counter this ! and to inform you guys at the same time :big smile:

gbrinn
10-11-2011, 04:52 PM
Probably nothing you can do if they decide to search your phone, other than to remotely brick it with SeekDroid.

hillbilliegreg
10-11-2011, 05:48 PM

really ! doesn't help much when you are falsely accused, by anyone who cares to mess with you, like a psycho girlfriend,crazy old lady living across the street
you get the idea, anyway it's all about prosecuting first, asking questions later

xjeepguy
10-11-2011, 06:21 PM
Well, I have nothing accessible on my phone that is so private I wouldn't want a cop to see it. The only things I would not want anyone seeing is credit card #'s, SSN, etc., and even those aren't directly accessible through my phone. As long as they don't give my number to telemarketers, I'm good lol. I guess I just don't have anything to hide from anyone.

3rotorRX8
10-11-2011, 06:23 PM
Exactly, get stopped for anything at all anytime and onetime can demand your phone just like he can search your car. Doesn't matter who you are or if ur dirty or clean. So yes a nuke button would be nice.

Leach19m
10-11-2011, 06:26 PM
Exactly, get stopped for anything at all anytime and onetime can demand your phone just like he can search your car. Doesn't matter who you are or if ur dirty or clean. So yes a nuke button would be nice.

Well, they need a warrant to search your car even if arrested unless 1) you give permission or 2) they can see something illegal through the windows

Which, I believe, will aid in this bill getting changed real quick

3rotorRX8
10-11-2011, 06:29 PM
Well, they need a warrant to search your car even if arrested unless 1) you give permission or 2) they can see something illegal through the windows

Not here, you tell them no and u will sit in the back of a cop car till they get a warrant or impound the car. Been there done that and got the T-shirt

Leach19m
10-11-2011, 06:32 PM
Lol right, but they're still getting a Warrant.

3rotorRX8
10-11-2011, 06:35 PM
Lol right, but they're still getting a Warrant.

Its bad here bro, they will search ur bucket here no matter what, they will find a way, its like when u refuse a dui test u go straight to jail!!

3rotorRX8
10-11-2011, 06:39 PM
My point is it really doesn't matter who you are or if u do a crime or not cuz it very well can happen to you, even if u don't have anything to hide, its the point!

Leach19m
10-11-2011, 06:44 PM
Its bad here bro, they will search ur bucket here no matter what, they will find a way, its like when u refuse a dui test u go straight to jail!!

Well, that's called implied consent. When you get your license you agree to never refuse a sobriety test. Even without that, a breathalyzer is more of a piece of supporting evidence to you being intoxicated, and not the determining factor. In fact, you can blow under the legal limit and still be arrested for a DUI if the officer feels you are under the influence of anything (alcohol, drugs, even cold medicine) .

All that said, I agree on your other point. Its not a matter of having things to hide, its a matter of principal and of constitutionality

jrplz
10-11-2011, 06:58 PM

That suck bro ! what a shame Ive herd of people getting stuff put in there car here when they refuse to give consent :shocked:buy the cops ! so you will know better next time.

3rotorRX8
10-11-2011, 08:37 PM
Well, that's called implied consent. When you get your license you agree to never refuse a sobriety test. Even without that, a breathalyzer is more of a piece of supporting evidence to you being intoxicated, and not the determining factor. In fact, you can blow under the legal limit and still be arrested for a DUI if the officer feels you are under the influence of anything (alcohol, drugs, even cold medicine) .

All that said, I agree on your other point. Its not a matter of having things to hide, its a matter of principal and of constitutionality

Yes I understand all that, was making the point that no concent to search is the same round here.

DroidXSkywalker
10-11-2011, 10:12 PM
That's why I moved back to England. Their laws aren't that crazy. No offense to any one. I wasn't happy with the government here. I think England is more lenient.

selcric
10-11-2011, 10:28 PM
Better call Saul!

http://www.bettercallsaul.com

jrplz
10-11-2011, 10:51 PM
:excited:LOL
Better call Saul!

DUI? Dealing Drugs? Better Call Saul! (http://www.bettercallsaul.com)

Gomerm
10-11-2011, 10:54 PM
Well I was an officer in Arkansas for years. Here there is no need for a search warrant for a vehicle. All you need is probable cause. For instance if your drunk then you can search the car for more evidence. If the car is being towed the supreme court says we have the right to inventory the car to make sure there is no valuables and if there is the tow truck driver knows that you know what is in there and he can't pilfer it. As far as phones go if you have probable cause to suspect it was used in committing the crime for which you were pulled over our any subsequence crime discovered during the field interview then you may look through the phone.

Now DWI. The law states the following. Any person operating a motor vehicle has deemed to have given consent to a test or tests of his blood breathe or urine for the purpose of determining the presence or amount of alcohol controlled substance out any other intoxicant. If you refuse the test our tests none will be given bit you will be in violation of....blah blah blah. Anyway you get the point if you screw up there are many many ways to get into the vehicle for a search. Are there officers that abuse it...heck yes there is. They are douches. If your trusted with publics power don't abuse it. But there are loopholes are your dumb enuf to warrant these actions then I hope they nail your butt. That's my opinion. That and 7 bucks will buy you a pack of cigarettes.

Swyped from my MIUI'ed up DROIDX using Droid X Forums

hellguy
10-15-2011, 10:31 AM

Amen!
Lets not forget, the police have the right to search any area they believe to be assisting in the commission of a crime. They can only use information obtained that is relevant to the crime.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Droid X Forums

3rotorRX8
10-16-2011, 01:51 PM
Amen!
Lets not forget, the police have the right to search any area they believe to be assisting in the commission of a crime. They can only use information obtained that is relevant to the crime.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Droid X Forums

And around here they take advantage of that and abuse it daily

DroidXSkywalker
10-16-2011, 09:50 PM
This is crazy. I don't plan on getting locked up, cuz I wouldn't be able to have my X with me. The only crime I would commit is aggravated assault on anyone who steals my X. I'm very protective of it, as if it was a baby. I won't fall sleep unless it's in bed with me. So those bad guys better stay away from X and I, cuz if they want a Droid that bad enough to steal a disabled person's DX, then they're going to have to steal someone else's X, cuz no one touches my X and gets away with it. I never let anyone touch my X, not even my daughter who is 9 years old and has one of her own. I bought her one to help her communicate since she is nonverbal Autistic, and so she would leave mine alone. Someone at school did try to steal it from her while I was with her and I went crazy. I told Dani to wait there after he grabbed her and I ran after him and tackled him to the ground and yelled, "give me Dani's Droid X, or I'll taze the living daylights outta you! You have 2 seconds before I taze you!" The boy said, Maam I don't have it, idk what a Droid X is, so shut your mouth, cuz I didn't take it!" I said, "don't you dare lie to me, son, her

DroidXSkywalker
10-16-2011, 10:05 PM
This is crazy. I don't plan on getting locked up, cuz I wouldn't be able to have my X with me. The only crime I would commit is aggravated assault on anyone who steals my X. I'm very protective of it, as if it was a baby. I won't fall sleep unless it's in bed with me. So those bad guys better stay away from X and I, cuz if they want a Droid that bad enough to steal a disabled person's DX, then they're going to have to steal someone else's X, cuz no one touches my X and gets away with it. I never let anyone touch my X, not even my daughter who is 9 years old and has one of her own. I bought her one to help her communicate since she is nonverbal Autistic, and so she would leave mine alone. Someone at school did try to steal it from her while I was with her and I went crazy. I told Dani to wait there after he grabbed her and I ran after him and tackled him to the ground and yelled, "give me Dani's Droid X, or I'll taze the living daylights outta you! You have 2 seconds before I taze you!" The boy said, Maam I don't have it, idk what a Droid X is, so shut your mouth, cuz I didn't take it!" I said, "don't you dare lie to me, son, her Droid X is in your hand, and don't ever tell me to shut my, mouth!" I took out X, and opened my tazer app and made it look like he was being tazed, when it was only the sound. it caused him such a fright that he actually wet his pants while still holding Dani's X. He was crying really hard, but I said, "Now please give Dani her Droid X back to her, unless you want me to do this to you again, and I know you don't want that". He said , "yes maam", and gave it back to her, which Dani was crying the entire time, because she needs her X, cuz it comforts her, and helps her communicate. The bit apologized, though, and to ensure it doesn't happen again, I took him by the hand and walked him to the headmaster's office, which he suspended him, and called Scotland Yard (English Police), and told them what I did, to him, which I was pretty frightened, but after hearing that Dani needs her X to help her communiques, he understood. I told the headmaster it wasn't a real tazer, it was a Droid app. I did it to scare the boy into giving Dani back her X. I showed him how the app works, then he understood. Dani has an accommodation that allows her to use her X at school. the headmaster called the boy's parents, and they came to the school and smacked him in front of me, which I didn't need to see, but the boy ended up being put in a special school for behavioral challenged students. I felt sorry for the boy, but I wasn't going to let him take or harm my daughter's $600 phone, or her.

DroidXSkywalker
10-16-2011, 10:07 PM
I'm very protective of my daughter and, our X's.

DroidXSkywalker
10-16-2011, 10:14 PM
If I have, to beat the crud outta someone to protect my daugh Oiter and our X's I certainly will, cuz I'm not going to let them get hurt. In this case I scared the crud outta someone. As I was walking the boy to the headmaster's office (we don't have principals in England, as far as I know) I told him that Dani is severely disabled and needs her X to communicate, and for someone to try to steal her X from someone who relies on their Droid to communicate, due to a serious disability is just cruel and uncalled for, and I will not allow anyone to get away with doing so.

DroidXSkywalker
10-16-2011, 10:27 PM
I'm one, of the nicest people you will ever meet in this world, but I won't be if you mess with my family including out X's, because I don't put up with anyone taking advantage of my husband, Dani or I, because we're all Autistic, and it's uncalled for to take advantage of people like that. When Dani was waiting to get her X back she had a HUGE meltdown, and, was, on, the ground thrashing around, crying and screaming loudly, and everyone else had to start away from her so no one would get hurt, because when she's like that, it is very dangerous, buy she's never like that as long as she has her X with her. I later explained to everyone who was standing around watching the nature of her condition. If I was her and someone took my X, that comforts me, I would do the same thing. The boy was mildly injured, he had a few cuts on him that required emergency care, from me tackling him and wrestling with him while I "tazed" him. That's why I have a tazer app on X. If X could really taze someone, she would do some serious damage to people like that boy. The family was going to sue me, however I moved out of the country so I wouldn't be sued or face retaliation. That's another reason I moved back to the USA. I had an incident where my brigg brother Daniel took my X as a mean, joke, which caused me to have a meltdown until I got X back. Imine wasn't as bad as Dani's was, though. I was only crying nonstop, until he gave X back to me.