PDA

View Full Version : CTIA Files Lawsuit Against San Francisco: Cell Phone Ordinance 'Alarmist and False'

dgstorm
10-11-2011, 11:46 AM
http://static.droidnetwork.net/dgstorm/df/sanfrancisco3.jpg

According to a recent court filing, the CTIA is trying to block a new cell phone ordinance in San Francisco. The new ordinance, called “Cell Phone Right-to-Know”, requires cell phone retailers to post information suggesting that cell phone radiation could cause brain tumors and pose other health risks. The CTIA argues against this and points out alternate studies suggesting that there is no real evidence to support these assertions. Here is what the CTIA had to say about it followed by a link to the full press release below,
“The materials the City would require be posted and handed out at retail stores are both alarmist and false. The FCC and FDA have repeatedly found that cell phone use does not pose a danger to human health. The Ordinance recommends such things as turning the phone off when not in use, a suggestion that would render critical emergency communications unavailable to San Francisco residents. “The City’s warning materials create the false impression that the FCC’s standards are insufficient, suggest that phones are dangerous, and urge consumers to limit their use and turn them off when not in use. If the millions of wireless subscribers in the Bay Area heed the City’s misguided warning to avoid cell phones, use them less, and turn them off when not in use, it will limit the value and convenience cell phones provide and impact public safety by limiting access to 911 and emergency alerts that can save lives in emergencies.Even though a recent study by the World Health Organization suggested that cell phones could be carcinogenic, there are several other studies pointing to the opposite. In fact several researches studied the WHO report itself and found that there was evidence in it suggesting that cell phones do not cause brain tumors. Share your thoughts in the forums.

Source: Android.net (http://www.android.net/forum/android-news/64408-ctia-files-lawsuit-against-san-francisco-cell-phone-ordinance-alarmist-false.html#post103837) via Presser: CTIA Files Challenge to San Francisco “Cell Phone Right-to-Know” Ordinance (http://www.android.net/forum/android-news-members/64406-presser-ctia-files-challenge-san-francisco-cell-phone-right-know-ordinance.html#post103835)

macpro88
10-11-2011, 12:11 PM
Wow. A little over the top. Ask yourself, what doesn't cause cancer now a days? Right? Just like the signs at the gas station that say to not use your cell phone or it will ignite the fumes.... really?

gbrinn
10-11-2011, 12:45 PM
Wow. A little over the top. Ask yourself, what doesn't cause cancer now a days? Right? Just like the signs at the gas station that say to not use your cell phone or it will ignite the fumes.... really?

Pretty much. And I think the Myth Buster guys disproved the cellphone-exploding gas thing, but I could be wrong.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

macpro88
10-11-2011, 12:47 PM
Pretty much. And I think the Myth Buster guys disproved the cellphone-exploding gas thing, but I could be wrong.

They did! Watched the episode the other week. Both you and I have a greater chance of winning the lottery and getting stuck my lightning all in the same day in difference parts of the country than a cell phone igniting fumes. Imaging how many fires there would be with as many people filling up at the same time around the world....

gbrinn
10-11-2011, 12:50 PM
They did! Watched the episode the other week. Both you and I have a greater chance of winning the lottery and getting stuck my lightning all in the same day in difference parts of the country than a cell phone igniting fumes. Imaging how many fires there would be with as many people filling up at the same time around the world....

I've seen gas station explosions: Mushroom-cloud-city, if it were true, I would think.

mugz91
10-11-2011, 12:52 PM
Well, in theory an infinitesimal spark from your phone could ignite gasoline fumes; and to paraphrase Douglas Adams: 'flying is easy. Just throw yourself at the ground and miss.' Lol

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

macpro88
10-11-2011, 12:56 PM
Well, in theory an infinitesimal spark from your phone could ignite gasoline fumes; and to paraphrase Douglas Adams: 'flying is easy. Just throw yourself at the ground and miss.' Lol

haha. very rarely does a cell phone actually create a spark though, and even less of a chance as cell phones get more advanced. the radio freq i doubt is enough to create spark. from the mythbusters episode, they said most fires start from people not grounding themselves when getting in/out of car when fueling. so when you get in/out, touch the metal body towards the frond of the car first, the fill up. and if a fire starts, don't pull it out! leave it in and let the lack of oxygen kill the fire and of course tell the gas station attendant lol.

Leach19m
10-11-2011, 01:12 PM

Hahaha awesome quote.

Is it just me or are these 'protect people from themselves' laws absurd? This one a little more than most, but come on

(V) {;,,,;} (V) < Woopwoopwoopwoopwoop
Scuttering along like Zoidberg, on the move

Leach19m
10-11-2011, 01:17 PM
haha. very rarely does a cell phone actually create a spark though, and even less of a chance as cell phones get more advanced. the radio freq i doubt is enough to create spark. from the mythbusters episode, they said most fires start from people not grounding themselves when getting in/out of car when fueling. so when you get in/out, touch the metal body towards the frond of the car first, the fill up. and if a fire starts, don't pull it out! leave it in and let the lack of oxygen kill the fire and of course tell the gas station attendant lol.

Which is funny because I know people who will get back into their car to use their phone while fueling for fear of blowing up the gas station. Out of the cool kettle and into the fire

macpro88
10-11-2011, 01:20 PM
Which is funny because I know people who will get back into their car to use their phone while fueling for fear of blowing up the gas station. Out of the cool kettle and into the fire

lol nice, I always get back in, but I also ground myself when I get in and out, out of habit after seeing what could happen lol

dylandaniel91
10-11-2011, 01:20 PM
Yeah they are but now we will have someone who will sue the cellphone company now. Just like the lady that sued McDonald's because they didn't tell her her coffee would be hot.

3rotorRX8
10-11-2011, 01:34 PM
Its all about protection from being sued is all. And as far as the phone causing an explosion, come on!! You can put a cigarette out in a puddle of gas! Sad to say but this country has turned into a bunch of sissys

macpro88
10-11-2011, 01:43 PM
Its all about protection from being sued is all. And as far as the phone causing an explosion, come on!! You can put a cigarette out in a puddle of gas! Sad to say but this country has turned into a bunch of sissys

I concur, its all about corporations trying to save their skins. But, can you blame them? Our citizens and justice system is to blame as it allows people to file these frivolous lawsuits, and the people see a way to make quick money, so they file....

but lets not get on topic about politics please, we'll just leave it at that lol.

dig'em
10-11-2011, 02:40 PM
My phone will NEVER give me a brain tumor. It has only been held to my ear 3 or 4 times in the last year.

People still make calls using these phones? I just surf the web and forums and watch movies and play games and pay bills and send emails and check FB and weather on mine...

froyo crusaider

3rotorRX8
10-11-2011, 02:40 PM
Fair enough :-)

Leach19m
10-11-2011, 02:45 PM
You gotta call sometimes! Getting more rare now though now that you can order pizza on the interwebz

(V) {;,,;} (V) < Woopwoopwoopwoopwoop

mugz91
10-12-2011, 03:00 AM
You gotta call sometimes! Getting more rare now though now that you can order pizza on the interwebz

(V) {;,,;} (V) < Woopwoopwoopwoopwoop

I'm shocked!! You, ordering pizza? And here I was about to hire you as my personal chef. Tsk, tsk. Lol.

scottpole
10-12-2011, 06:27 AM

I hope my cell phone isn't making sparks! Ill need a replacement at that point.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk