PDA

View Full Version : whole list of problems with update

njones1975
10-10-2011, 02:23 PM
I too am having problems with my droid x since the system update. The first is my phone goes black and reboots while its being used, typically if I'm using navigation or listening to music. Also, I have reset my notification ringtone for texts and so forth over and over again, but it doesn't work at all. Also when I get a voice mail, a song that I've never set as a ringtone comes on and plays and continues to play until the song is done and I can't figure out how to change it. Any suggestions? Also, if you give me suggestions, please use step by step instructions. I'm kind of clueless when it comes to technology language. Thanks in advance for any help.

DebianDog
10-10-2011, 03:07 PM
Backup your phone and do a factory wipe. My wifes non rooted 605 is rock solid.
Beamed from my DroidX

aknox077
10-20-2011, 08:22 AM
I'm experiencing similar problems but this is nothing new for my droid. Heck, I went through two phones in as many weeks when it came out.
I have yet to try a full system wipe. Usually shutting down and restarting works. Althought right now I'm at 330+ hrs of up time(almost 2 straight weeks :p) so I can't complain.
As far as backing up my files for a system wipe, would my "backup assistant" do the trick or should I consider a different app like Titanium? Will this backup EVERYthing(screens, contacts, pictures, video, music, screens set ups, apps)?

holly
10-20-2011, 08:36 AM
Back up assistant is redundant. Google will save your contacts. You can also save your contacts to your sd card.

Android market will redownload your apps but you will lose your settings. This, provided you have back up data and auto restore checked under settings > privacy.

Video, music, photos are saved on sd card. Screen setups are lost unless you are using a launcher that backs up your settings.

Pretty sure you need to be rooted to use titanium.

Sent from my non-rooted dx

aknox077
10-20-2011, 08:02 PM
I've been avoiding a root for a long time because if something went wrong I wouldn't be able to afford a new phone. I tried Go Launcher but I couldn't quite get the hang of it. I liked the versatility and ability to control but it was daunting to say the least. Any suggestions?

holly
10-20-2011, 08:42 PM
I'd skip rooting until you feel more comfortable about the idea. The reset - if you're still wanting to address issues of your op - is fairly easy . It will just take a little time getting your phone back to normal (well worth the minor inconvenience if you ask me).

Launchers such as GO and launcherPro take some getting used to. Don't give up on them. You'll get the hang of it. Start with the preferences option and have at it. Explore what each button/option does.

You can always back track or uninstall later.
Sent from my non-rooted dx

aknox077
10-21-2011, 02:02 PM
In retrospect, even though it broke my phone I'm glad I did a factory reset. I get a new one in a couple days and(fingers crossed) whatever was wrong with my current won't happen on the new one.
Admittedly I did like GO Launcher. I will most likely make that my first install on the new phone and just use it non-stop from the beginning.