PDA

View Full Version : Newb 101 Help.

Basadroid
10-07-2011, 02:07 PM
Ok so I was told the best way to get all these things answered was to start a new thread.

First off here was the issue. I was on Froyo and got the .605 update. My phone was fubar, slow, couldnt get into the gallery or settings. I was all over the place trying to find out what to do. So Finally after downloading about 5 gig of different things that were going to fix it, one guy tells me, Do a recovery boot and clear the cache and see what that does.

Wham Bam Thank you Maam. Phone is BLAZING fast...

So I use the 1 click root for .602 and .605 and thinking I can use Wireless Tether (dunno if just regular EasyTeather Pro needs this also but just to be safe lets say yes) Not so fast, VZW message pops up saying gotta have the 3G hotspot enabled, ugh.

Back to the forum, I am told I need to now patch something that takes off the data monitor or something and to use a bootstrap to do this. Well I took my boots off and hit my phone a few times with it, but it didnt help... So I am back again. I am really hoping Cory46 sees this since he was the one that suggested it.

In advance it is great the knowledge that the experienced are willing to share with the stupid. If this was the case everywhere it would be a much better world.

Basadroid
10-07-2011, 02:12 PM
Ok so looking closer at the link that was given me for the "Patch" the Bootstrap is linked but when I go there it says for the Droid 2 only...

cory46
10-07-2011, 02:19 PM
ha good deal starting this topic itll be much easier to help here and you'll also be doing a service to others who may be in the same position. And it has given me the opportunity to start a "newb" thread im working on currently. So down to the nuts and bolts.

your currently rooted on 605 yes? and you want to install the tehter patch so you can tether. so you've already got the tether patch downloaded if not here it is http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/gingerbread-development-hacking/30948-wugpacked-gb-tether-patch-all-one-zips.html

ok you do or do not have bootstrap installed? if not here you go and I recommend Droid 2 bootstrap because it just works better than droid x on gingerbread.

http://market.android.com/details?id=com.koushikdutta.droid2.bootstrap&feature=search_result

Now once that is downloaded and installed you will open the bootstrap program hit bootstrap recovery and wait for it to say success. Once that message has shown up you will then hit bootstrap recovery and it will reboot and take you to clockwork recovery. Once in clockwork recovery ( it will be black background green writting) navigate with the volume buttons to install from sd card. use the camera button to select and then navigate to downloads. there you will find the wugfresh tehter patch and you select it again with the camera button itll do its thing and then once its finished installing you can then go backwards with the power button and select reboot, reboot your phone and you should be in business,.

Basadroid
10-07-2011, 02:27 PM
2 things.

1. Isnt it navigate with volume, select with power button?

2. Download this bootstrap from the market on my phone or pc?

I am an ISO internal Auditor and one of our favorite acronyms is K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Stupid. It should be for stupid but KISFS just wouldnt work...

cory46
10-07-2011, 02:33 PM
2 things.

1. Isnt it navigate with volume, select with power button?

2. Download this bootstrap from the market on my phone or pc?

I am an ISO internal Auditor and one of our favorite acronyms is K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Stupid. It should be for stupid but KISFS just wouldnt work...

in clockwork recovery its what I have above unless its changed ( I haven't been on a rom that requires bootstrap in some time forgive me haha) Stock recovery uses the power button to select. Clockwork (used through bootstrap) is a custom recovery designed to allow you to install non motorola/verizon packages. Which is why you got the signature verification error last time you tried to install through stock recovery

Basadroid
10-07-2011, 02:33 PM
ok so i got it off the market on my phone. $2.99. I hit bootstrap recovery and it says success and I hit ok. Nothing happens. I havent hit Reboot Recovery since that isnt in the instructions above...

cory46
10-07-2011, 02:36 PM
Haha whoops herp derp moment yes hit reboot recovery now it'll reboot and put you into clockwork

1Kitkatdidiwags

Basadroid
10-07-2011, 02:38 PM
Ok I think i see where my flaw was. In the post you say after success hit ok then next line is hit bootstrap again and ibthink you meant Reboot Recovery. Will try that.

cory46
10-07-2011, 02:40 PM
Haha yeah I wanted clear sorry

Bootstrap recovery it'll say success

Then hit reboot recovery

1Kitkatdidiwags

Basadroid
10-07-2011, 02:47 PM
ok i will go step by step for other newbs like me...

1. select "install zip from sdcard"
2. choose "zip from sdcard"
3. navigate to folder with zip (was downloads for me)
4. select "wugpack zip file"
5 select the yes to install about 7 lines down
6. update begins
7. install complete
8. hit he back BUTTON
9. select "reboot system now

cory46
10-07-2011, 02:48 PM
You're in the money!

1Kitkatdidiwags

Basadroid
10-07-2011, 02:56 PM
End result, the patch took, i dont have the VZW splash and connected.

I have a couple other questions. after the update and I lost root I was still able to use EasyTether Pro to wire tether to my pc and didnt get the VZW screen. Is that a totally different sysrem thanvthe wireless? TBH I dont even use the wireless with my phone unless it is an extreme emergency.

cory46
10-07-2011, 02:58 PM
Yeah I ** think** the phone determines tethering different that way (usb wired) but I'm not completely sure to be honest

1Kitkatdidiwags

Basadroid
10-07-2011, 03:03 PM
Well I personally se it wired for my PC use and use my VZW hot spot with 10 gig a month to use my Xoom on. I will be happy when I can sell my hoise and get a place that I can actually get internet. Currently my VZW bill is about $325 a month...

cory46
10-07-2011, 03:11 PM
Currently my VZW bill is about $325 a month...

OUCH!

1Kitkatdidiwags

Basadroid
10-07-2011, 03:27 PM
Plan is like $130, unlimited text to all networks, 1500 minutes shared on account. Wife and I each with DX unlimited. 2 kids with non data phones, unlimited text, $25 each, 1 kid with $10 data plus unlimited text. 10 gig hotspot at $90 a month. Really i have no choice unless i want no internet at the house.

Thanks for all the help. Hopefully other newbs will be enlightened. Maybe I should embelish more on the first post to give more info on the cache clear.

Basadroid
10-08-2011, 06:59 PM
Trying to do the same thing I did to my phone to my wife's. When I try to use the D3 1 click root it stops at a black screen and wont go past it.

I hit enter and it says Running Exploit (part 1 of 31)

It then goes to reboot phone and it starts to reboot.

the black screen says,

Bootloader 30.04
Battery, OK
Ok to Program
Transfer mode
USB

Something I am missing here?

laochra
10-08-2011, 09:13 PM
Can I root my DROID x using a android tablet

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums