PDA

View Full Version : Boot Manager

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Wulf
09-30-2011, 12:09 AM
I thought it would be good to start a thread for this for posting your rom setup and help.

Here is just a basic guide i put together. Please excuse the typos, lol.

How to use Boot Manager Basic guide
Online manual for Boot Manager http://init2winitapps.com/stories/BMManual.html (http://init2winitapps.com/stories/BMManual.html)
Init2winitapps forum http://forum.init2winitapps.com/ (http://forum.init2winitapps.com/)

Before starting make sure the following have been met
1. You must be on Gingerbread kernel to use this app.
2.You must be on a 2nd init Rom to use this app, currently GB cm7 or Miui (installing other non 2nd init roms comes later).
3. Make a backup, just in case.
4. Plenty of time, lol.

A few tips to follow.
1. Installing roms can take between 7-12 minutes and restoring nandroids or backing up SD roms can be 10- 20 minutes to complete so make sure you have a full charge
2. Temporarily change the screen timeoutto 10 minutes or never and change it back when it’s done. Sometimes when the screen goes off while Boot Manager is running and has a hard time coming back on when trying to wake it and leave you with a black screen. Only thing you can do is wait it out and if it’s been more than 10 minutes and screen won’t turn back on pull battery and you may have to start over.
3. Avoid using the phone while the app is running (optional, but recommended)
4. When flashing a rom to a slot or restoring a nandroid its best to do it from phone rom and not SD rom. It may not work if you do.

Setting up your Phone Rom ***First and most important step***
1. If you are not on a second init rom start by making a nandroid backup of your current rom, this will come into play later.
2. After you made your backup choose which rom you want as your phone rom, GB cm7 or Miui, you may want to start with GB cm7, you can change phone rom later.
3. After you flashed your rom of choice,GB cm7 or Miui, Set up your phone as normal, restoring apps, accounts, etc.
4. Go to the market and purchase “Boot Manager” if you haven’t already. (If you’re using GB cm7 make sure to flash latest GAPPS first, available in “ROM Manager”.
5. Open Boot Manager, give it root access, and the first thing you should do is setup phone rom before using anyother options.
6. Select “Setup Phone Rom”. It will give you a warning to make sure you’re not booted into one of the SD roms (which you shouldn’t). click “Okay” and proceed.
7. After a few seconds you will get a message saying “Success!!!” and your phone has been backed up successfully. You are now done setting up your phone rom, easy!!!

Installing Roms to slots

1. If you haven’t downloaded which roms you want as your SD roms do so now, these can be 2nd init roms, GB cm7 or Miui, or non 2nd init roms, Apex 602, VorteX, etc. 602 based roms seems to work best, 596 based roms like Darkslide X doesn’t work (for meanyways) but restoring a nandroid of Darkslide X does work.
3. After you have your roms downloaded to your SD card open Boot Manager app then select “Install Zips”. This will show you to all the folders on your SD card.
4. Look for the location where you haveplaced your roms and select the one you want to install.
5. After selecting your rom you willhave a menu with the following.
3 options on top (Wipe System, WipeData, Wipe Cache).
A list of 4 slots.
“Install Kernel” option on bottom (you will not be using this option on the Droid X because of the locked bootloader so ignore it)
6. Check all three boxes, Wipe system,data, cache, and select one of the empty slots and confirm the selection andlet it run.
7. When it’s finished you will get a message in the notification bar saying complete. You can monitor the progress by watching the ongoing notifications in the pulldown.
8. You will want to test it and make sure it is working so in the notifications where it says complete click it and you should get a prompt confirming. Select the slot where you installed the rom, it should have the same name as the roms zip name. If you don’t see the roms zip name in a slot exit the app and open it again.
9. If you restarted the app select “Boot Installed ROM” and select the rom you just installed. It will ask if you want to boot to it, click “Okay” and let it reboot.
10. After a minute or so it should boot into your SD rom. After it boots give it some time to load and then set everything up as you normally would do after flashing a new rom. If it doesn’t boot after 5 minutes don’t panic and follow the steps below.
Pull battery and put back in and power up. It should take you to clockwork recovery.
Using volume key to move and camera button to select choose “Install zip from SD card” then select “choose zip from SD card.
Navigate to” Boot Manager” folder and select it and inside you will see some more folders. Open “phone Rom” folder and select the “update.zip” and then confirm the selection. This will only take a few seconds.
After it’s done go back using the back button and then select reboot now.
If it didn’t install it might be a bad download or it might not be compatible with the app. Not all roms have been tested and most of the 602 based roms do work, some have issues with 605 based ones. Its trial and error from here to see if you can get it going.
If it’s a 605 rom that won’t work install a 602 rom and boot into it to make sure it works and go back to your phone rom and install the 605 on top with all 3 boxes checked, Wipe system, data, and cache. This might work but no guarantee.

Restoring a Nandroid Backup to a slot
1. Open Boot Manager app and select“Manage Installed ROMs”.
2. Select “Restore Nandroid to SD”, it will list all your folders on your SD card.
3. Navigate to clockworkmod> backup and choose the nandroid you want to restore, has to be a gingerbread backup.
4. It will ask you to restore nandroid, click okay.
5. Choose the slot you want to restore your nandroid. If a rom is already installed there it will warn you that it will be overwritten, click okay and let it run.
6. When its finished open notifications with pulldown and select it and it will bring you to “Boot Installed ROMs”menu. Test it by selecting the slot where you restored your nandriod, should have the same name of your backup.
7. Click okay it let it reboot. If it works it should boot up between 1-3 minutes. If it hangs at the boot logo longer than 5 minutes follow the same steps as you would if the rom failed to install. Refer to Installing Roms to slots step #10.

Backing up SD Roms
1. Open Boot Manager and select “Manage Installed ROMs”
2. Select “Backup ROM Slots”.
3. Select which rom you want to backup, only SD roms are available. Use clockwork recovery to backup phone rom.
4. Click “Okay” and let it run, it will take some time to complete. When it finishes you will be back on Manage Rom slots menu.

Special Instuctions if using Miui with Defy base as phone rom. Credit and thanks go to Cobracon for finding a fix.

first make MIUI ur phone rom in boot manager once done
install the roms you want in ur bootmanager slots
after the installs are complete click boot installed rom and choose the rom you want to boot into
let the phone reboot
once it reboots press the power button and reboot recovery once into recovery hit reboot and it should boot into the rom you wanted it did for me anyway

One last tip
If possible avoid deleting slots that have the image files already setup. Boot manage rtakes the most time setting up those image files. If you can just do the wipes, system, data, and cache, it will reduce the time and can take as little as 5 minutes to install roms or restoring nandroid backups.

Nemo aeternamn
09-30-2011, 12:25 AM
awesome... i was sure this was out yet.. i'm out to get it... : )

Wulf
09-30-2011, 12:28 AM
awesome... i was sure this was out yet.. i'm out to get it... : )
The full release for the X is sometime friday.

Nemo aeternamn
09-30-2011, 12:31 AM
ah... you just got an early copy...

lucky!!!

looks like i'll have to wait just a little longer

Wulf
09-30-2011, 12:35 AM
ah... you just got an early copy...

lucky!!!

looks like i'll have to wait just a little longer

Yeah, but it was paid for, lol. Didn't expect it either, right place at the right time I guess.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

Nemo aeternamn
09-30-2011, 12:46 AM
nice...haha... i got my copy reserved... so to speak... : ) i'll throw up my set up when i get things set up with it

Chew DZ
09-30-2011, 12:56 AM
I heard somewhere that this makes the ROMs a lil bit slower because they run off the SD Card; is that true?

Wulf
09-30-2011, 05:32 AM
I heard somewhere that this makes the ROMs a lil bit slower because they run off the SD Card; is that true?

Yes there is some lag at first and needs to settle in, that's why overclocking image roms is recommended.

Aaron.edwards
09-30-2011, 09:16 AM
A few questions Wulf.

How freaking awesome is that!! Lol

What are you useing as ur phone rom?

Difficulty rating?

Lucky dog I'm awlays in the wrong place at the wrong time! Lol soon enough though right I can't wait

Wulf
09-30-2011, 10:12 AM
A few questions Wulf.

How freaking awesome is that!! Lol

What are you useing as ur phone rom?

Difficulty rating?

Lucky dog I'm awlays in the wrong place at the wrong time! Lol soon enough though right I can't wait

It's great. Lots to test.

Cm7 is my phone Rom.

First setup scale 1-10 is around 7. After all so done about a 5. Its a 7 to start with because there was some trouble shooting that I had to do to get some things to work.

Aaron.edwards
09-30-2011, 10:29 AM
Thanks. I figured cm7 would be the best choice... never actually ran cm7 yet. But I was actually reading up on itwhen I ran across the boot manager post. So I just got done sbfing and flashing cm7 in prep for boot manager!! Can't wait!!!!

mapatton82
09-30-2011, 11:34 AM
Thanks. I figured cm7 would be the best choice... never actually ran cm7 yet. But I was actually reading up on itwhen I ran across the boot manager post. So I just got done sbfing and flashing cm7 in prep for boot manager!! Can't wait!!!!

I contacted the devs it looks like they will be releasing this around 6pm EST tonight.

Nemo aeternamn
09-30-2011, 11:51 AM
I contacted the devs it looks like they will be releasing this around 6pm EST tonight.

nice : )
that means i'll get around... 4...haha...
plenty of time to tinker... and have time to sbf... just incase...lol

DirtyDroid
09-30-2011, 11:55 AM

Ahh can't play around till after work...oh well still excited

Wulf
09-30-2011, 11:58 AM
nice : )
that means i'll get around... 4...haha...
plenty of time to tinker... and have time to sbf... just incase...lol

You can definitely make a night with it, lol.

mapatton82
09-30-2011, 12:04 PM
You can definitely make a night with it, lol.

They are still doing some testing and maybe throwing some other enhancements in for the release tonight.

Wulf
09-30-2011, 12:24 PM
They are still doing some testing and maybe throwing some other enhancements in for the release tonight.

Although this version is stable there is a glitch here and there.

Like I was not able to install Miui, had to restore a backup of it to a slot.
If you are installing a rom or nandroid restore if screen goes to sleep it has some trouble coming back on and could have a black screen. Then you would either wait it out and it should come back up or pull battery and start again. For this I find it better to set the screen off to ten minutes or leave it on until its done and set it back.

dsr13
09-30-2011, 12:36 PM
So just to make sure I'm reading this right, I can fill a slot with a nandroid, correct? Running miui gb 1.9.23. Already bought the app, eagerly awaying the update...

sent from my MIUIed DX via tapatalk

Wulf
09-30-2011, 12:41 PM
So just to make sure I'm reading this right, I can fill a slot with a nandroid, correct? Running miui gb 1.9.23. Already bought the app, eagerly awaying the update...

Yes, I restored a nandroid of Miui 9.23 to a slot and one of darkslide x to another. I did a full rom install of Apex RC3 to a slot and VorteX to the other.

It had to be a GB kernel backup.

dsr13
09-30-2011, 12:52 PM
Thanks! This seems like the perfect work around for the HDMI issue until the devs get it up and running on 2nd init...

Aaron.edwards
09-30-2011, 01:30 PM
Awesome

So planning my moves

Phone rom cm7

Nandroid of stock rooted gb

Nandroid of miui

And a install of Chevy ssx

Fun times... wonder how my gf will feel about canceling our Friday night date lol

Nemo aeternamn
09-30-2011, 01:35 PM
Awesome

So planning my moves

Phone rom cm7

Nandroid of stock rooted gb

Nandroid of miui

And a install of Chevy ssx

Fun times... wonder how my gf will feel about canceling our Friday night date lol

This set up wont work... as ssx has not yet been released on the ginger kernel... it's only released on frozen yogurt....

mapatton82
09-30-2011, 01:41 PM
This set up wont work... as ssx has not yet been released on the ginger kernel... it's only released on frozen yogurt....

All the ROMs have to be on the same kernel, either all Froyo Kernel or all Gingerbread Kernel, no mix and match until Moto and VZW unlock the bootloader!!

Wulf: When you are booted into one of the SD ROMs does the sytem folder represent what is in the ROM or does it show what is on the phone ROM? For example if my phone ROM is MIUI and I boot into CM7GB if I look at the /system/data folder would I see the MIUI files or would it show the CM7GB files.

Aaron.edwards
09-30-2011, 01:44 PM
Hmm for some reason thought I had read ssx was on Gubbles... my bad... ah well still super stoked

Aaron.edwards
09-30-2011, 01:48 PM
Gubbles wow wtg predictive text **gb! **

Wulf
09-30-2011, 02:10 PM
All the ROMs have to be on the same kernel, either all Froyo Kernel or all Gingerbread Kernel, no mix and match until Moto and VZW unlock the bootloader!!

Wulf: When you are booted into one of the SD ROMs does the sytem folder represent what is in the ROM or does it show what is on the phone ROM? For example if my phone ROM is MIUI and I boot into CM7GB if I look at the /system/data folder would I see the MIUI files or would it show the CM7GB files.

The system folder for the sd rom only shows the files for that rom. Each sd rom is in rom folder called "Rom 1,Rom 2, Rom 3, Rom 4" and there is where you will find the image files for each one.

Nemo aeternamn
09-30-2011, 02:12 PM
haha... nice... gubbles... i'm excited for when chevy releases that on the gubbles kernel to us : )

Aaron.edwards
09-30-2011, 02:13 PM
Gubbles for everyone

Wulf
09-30-2011, 02:17 PM
Gubbles for everyone

Lol, who needs ICS when you got Gubbles.

popcenator
09-30-2011, 02:27 PM
Did I see they're bringing the Gubbles kernel to the DX??:wink:

fc127
09-30-2011, 02:28 PM
Predictive text? Is gubbles even a word?

Wulf
09-30-2011, 02:34 PM
Predictive text? Is gubbles even a word?

Google search:

Definition for gubbles: Gubble is a PlayStation and PC game. Most of the gameplay requires the player to solve a series of real-time puzzles in which he uses tools, such as a hammer or screwdriver, which the main character, Gubble (an alien), uses in a humorous way to remove the implements of these tools, such as nails ....

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gubble

mapatton82
09-30-2011, 02:55 PM
Although this version is stable there is a glitch here and there.

Like I was not able to install Miui, had to restore a backup of it to a slot.
If you are installing a rom or nandroid restore if screen goes to sleep it has some trouble coming back on and could have a black screen. Then you would either wait it out and it should come back up or pull battery and start again. For this I find it better to set the screen off to ten minutes or leave it on until its done and set it back.

Nandroid backup would be the same backup the CWM creates? Looking at the application there is an option to restore nandroid but what file do you select for the nandroid?

Nemo aeternamn
09-30-2011, 03:00 PM
nandroid=backup made in cwm... as far as the other... i'll be able to shed more light when it get's released...

Wulf
09-30-2011, 03:04 PM
Nandroid backup would be the same backup the CWM creates? Looking at the application there is an option to restore nandroid but what file do you select for the nandroid?

Yes, you use the files that clockwork creates when you do a backup. When you select "Restore Nandroid to SD" it brings you to the contents of your sd card. Look for clockwork folder/backups/ and select the gb kernel backup you want to restore and it will ask you to confirm and click ok and it will do the rest. It can take as long as 15 minutes, maybe more.

Nemo aeternamn
09-30-2011, 06:24 PM
it's been released... i'm downloading as i type!!!

Wulf
09-30-2011, 06:25 PM
Yep, just updated my version too.

Wulf
09-30-2011, 06:42 PM
I killed my battery today, im at 10% with 6 hours and 37 minutes. Thats with screen on close to 4 hours, lol.

sldrboy
09-30-2011, 06:46 PM
And i know what budweiser is...

Wulf
09-30-2011, 06:51 PM
Let the fun begin!!!!!

sldrboy
09-30-2011, 07:01 PM
Haha that post was suppose to be a txt (sms) reply to a friend in the uk...thats kinda funny! Not sure how i did that one. Lmao

Sent from my DROIDX

Wulf
09-30-2011, 07:03 PM
Haha that post was suppose to be a txt (sms) reply to a friend in the uk...thats kinda funny! Not sure how i did that one. Lmao

Sent from my DROIDX

I wondered what that was, I just left it alone, lol.

Nath5
09-30-2011, 11:45 PM
It works perfectly, CM7 as phone rom, stock pre-rooted deodexed .605 in as slot one. I have my cm speed and customization and my blur camera. I am a happy x owner tonight!

Wulf
10-01-2011, 01:13 AM
We are spoiled with the more choices and it keeps getting better.

JNEHAMA
10-01-2011, 01:25 AM
When the instructions on how to get back to your phone rom say go to recovery, find bootmanager/ download,/ phone rom,/ update.zip - I assume it's CWR not stock recovery but want to make sure.

Wulf
10-01-2011, 01:40 AM
When the instructions on how to get back to your phone rom say go to recovery, find bootmanager/ download,/ phone rom,/ update.zip - I assume it's CWR not stock recovery but want to make sure.

Yes, it means clockwork recovery. The update zip.for phone.rom is bootmanager/phone rom/update zip. It takes only a few seconds.to.flash. it will get you out of some jams, did for me.a few times, lol.

dAi
10-01-2011, 05:40 AM
Lag is my biggest enemy ...

Sent from my DROIDX

Wulf
10-01-2011, 10:58 AM
Lag is my biggest enemy ...

Sent from my DROIDX

Give it time it will improve with a few reboots.
Also its recommended you overclock your sd card roms, it makes a difference. After a while you can hardly tell.

zoe
10-01-2011, 12:42 PM
i'm having some trouble getting miui 9.23 to install into slot one, keeps bootlooping on me...

tried reinstalling a few times and toggled all the wipes as well. (i love the built in safety reboot to cwm & phone rom update, used it so many times already)

running cm7gb as phone rom

and I've read over the docs & the bm forum, maybe I missed something, but if i run a slotted rom, what's the best way to reboot to the phone rom

[__)XXX)__)==l nvm, i'm probably drunk...

Wulf
10-01-2011, 12:53 PM
i'm having some trouble getting miui 9.23 to install into slot one, keeps bootlooping on me...

tried reinstalling a few times and toggled all the wipes as well. (i love the built in safety reboot to cwm & phone rom update, used it so many times already)

running cm7gb as phone rom

and I've read over the docs & the bm forum, maybe I missed something, but if i run a slotted rom, what's the best way to reboot to the phone rom

I had issues installing Miui to a slot. I tried several ways but none worked. What did work was restoring a backup of Miui to a slot. To get back to phone rom in clockwork install zip from bootmanager/phone rom/ update.zip. Its quick and that will take you to phone rom.

fc127
10-01-2011, 01:00 PM
I have found that its easiest, albeit more time consuming, to set up a nandroid in the slots... at least then you know it's set up how you like it already.

Also, I am seeing that the /system folder contains the files for the rom you are currently running, not the phone rom specifically. Therefore I am seeing absolutely no lag...

zoe
10-01-2011, 01:07 PM
I had issues installing Miui to a slot. I tried several ways but none worked. What did work was restoring a backup of Miui to a slot. To get back to phone rom in clockwork install zip from bootmanager/phone rom/ update.zip. Its quick and that will take you to phone rom.

hmm, the only miui nandroid I have is a 9.16 w/busted 100%...

I tried the nandroid restore last night around 4am, don't remember it working...

I get the cwm & phone rom update bit, was wondering if there was a button to just reboot to the phone rom (kinda how you boot into one of the don't installed into the slots)

lots of tinkering ahead to day...

'what is this work that you speak of mr. boss man? can't you see that i'm actually very busy 'working' on my phone?'

Wulf
10-01-2011, 01:10 PM
I have found that its easiest, albeit more time consuming, to set up a nandroid in the slots... at least then you know it's set up how you like it already.

Also, I am seeing that the /system folder contains the files for the rom you are currently running, not the phone rom specifically. Therefore I am seeing absolutely no lag...

I have 2 slots with rom installs and 2 with nandroid backups. The lag is mostly on first boot. After a few reboots it disappears almost completely.

Wulf
10-01-2011, 01:19 PM
hmm, the only miui nandroid I have is a 9.16 w/busted 100%...

I tried the nandroid restore last night around 4am, don't remember it working...

I get the cwm & phone rom update bit, was wondering if there was a button to just reboot to the phone rom (kinda how you boot into one of the don't installed into the slots)

lots of tinkering ahead to day...

'what is this work that you speak of mr. boss man? can't you see that i'm actually very busy 'working' on my phone?'

You can boot into phone rom from boot manager app. Depending on what you named your phone rom, open BM app and open Manage Installed Rom's then "Set Rom Names" and you will see rom 1, rom 2, rom 3 rom 4 and phone rom. Name them how you want and when you choose boot installed roms chose the name of your phone rom.

tycoon177
10-01-2011, 02:07 PM
Its the three dollar one on the market right?

Wulf
10-01-2011, 02:17 PM
Its the three dollar one on the market right?

Yes. The one by Init 2 Winit apps

JNEHAMA
10-01-2011, 10:19 PM
Looking for some suggestions, can't seem to get it to work. I am running Miui 1.9.23 and would like to keep it as my phone rom since it's my favorite. I loaded it at start up no problem. I downloaded a full zip of Vortex 2.2 and installed it in slot 1. It said install complete and it now shows up in slot 1. I downloaded the latest nightly for CM7 installed it to slot 2 and add gapps to same slot. For the two roms I checked off the wipes. I see them listed in slots 1 and 2. I go to boot installed roms. Select vortex slot one and all I get is a reboot of Miui now with malfunctioning wifi. I checked to make sure sd card was mounted, checked superuser etc and retried vortex and CM7 with same results. Eventually to fix wifi, I had to reflash Miui without wipes. Any thoughts. I would love to get this working but I want to keep miui as my phone rom as I know I will likely spend most of my time on it.
Thanks

fc127
10-01-2011, 10:30 PM
Looking for some suggestions, can't seem to get it to work. I am running Miui 1.9.23 and would like to keep it as my phone rom since it's my favorite. I loaded it at start up no problem. I downloaded a full zip of Vortex 2.2 and installed it in slot 1. It said install complete and it now shows up in slot 1. I downloaded the latest nightly for CM7 installed it to slot 2 and add gapps to same slot. For the two roms I checked off the wipes. I see them listed in slots 1 and 2. I go to boot installed roms. Select vortex slot one and all I get is a reboot of Miui now with malfunctioning wifi. I checked to make sure sd card was mounted, checked superuser etc and retried vortex and CM7 with same results. Eventually to fix wifi, I had to reflash Miui without wipes. Any thoughts. I would love to get this working but I want to keep miui as my phone rom as I know I will likely spend most of my time on it.
Thanks

I don't know that anyone has had good luck using miui as their phone rom.

I am not getting any lag whatsoever from the other rom slots. I would suggest making a nandroid of your current miui setup, flashing cm7 and setting that as your phone rom, the converting the nandroid of miui to one of your slots.

You shouldn't see much lag, so give it a shot.

JNEHAMA
10-01-2011, 11:18 PM
Thanks for the input. I've posted over at rootzwiki too, if no one's been able to use miui as phone rom, I'll use your approach tomorrow.

Wulf
10-01-2011, 11:36 PM
Thanks for the input. I've posted over at rootzwiki too, if no one's been able to use miui as phone rom, I'll use your approach tomorrow.

I restored Miui to a slot and don't see any lag. Had this setup from the beginning. As I mentioned installing Miui to a slot have me issues and went with a nandroid. Even though cm7 is my phone rom I haven't used it in 2 days and I see no difference booting from a sd rom.

zoe
10-02-2011, 03:10 AM
finally got miui installed into a slot, apparently the superuser app wasn't up to date. updated and turned off the logging and install went fine.

now i'm just getting the notice that there is insufficient space to install any apps. read that a reinstall will fix that... probably best to start with a full set of wipes...

zoe
10-02-2011, 04:22 AM
yep, reinstall fixed it

is it a curse or a blessing that I had to do a clean install, idk...

as miui will be a slotted rom, I think I can go easy on the number of apps to install and keep it nice and lean...

I figured switching between rom's would be as east as it is, just hadn't gotten the install properly set so I couldn't know fo' sho'

got to figure out what next to install, been great so far and my troubles really gave a good chance to learn this app's workings

JNEHAMA
10-02-2011, 08:20 AM
yep, reinstall fixed it

is it a curse or a blessing that I had to do a clean install, idk...

as miui will be a slotted rom, I think I can go easy on the number of apps to install and keep it nice and lean...

I figured switching between rom's would be as east as it is, just hadn't gotten the install properly set so I couldn't know fo' sho'

got to figure out what next to install, been great so far and my troubles really gave a good chance to learn this app's workings

Just to be sure, what is your phone rom? And is your Miui install a zip or a nandroid back up? Thanks.

crysisanity
10-02-2011, 08:32 AM
I managed to get shuji working on a miui base but now I seem to be getting random reboots. Does that mean it's just miui acting up with boot manager?

Droid x miui'd up

craig7220
10-02-2011, 08:36 AM
Don't know how but I have miui working great as the phone rom. Have vortec and apex in rom slots
. No issues booting to any of them. One thing I did do was start with a fresh copy of miui after a sbf.

Gingerbread Miui on steroids

Wulf
10-02-2011, 09:58 AM
I managed to get shuji working on a miui base but now I seem to be getting random reboots. Does that mean it's just miui acting up with boot manager?

Droid x miui'd up

My guess would be shuji. I haven't had any random reboots yet. Have you tried to overclock shuji yet? It might help.

redsox 98
10-02-2011, 10:17 AM
I have cm as my phone rom and a nandroid of miui 9.23 in slot 1. I cant go to miui in slot 1 it hangs on my boot image, won't even go to boot animation. I let it set for 4 hours while I slept thinking if I walk away it will all work but nothing. If I go into recovery and wipe everything and install my miui backup I cna get to cm but can't go the other way. Any ideas?

Wulf
10-02-2011, 11:01 AM
I have cm as my phone rom and a nandroid of miui 9.23 in slot 1. I cant go to miui in slot 1 it hangs on my boot image, won't even go to boot animation. I let it set for 4 hours while I slept thinking if I walk away it will all work but nothing. If I go into recovery and wipe everything and install my miui backup I cna get to cm but can't go the other way. Any ideas?

I had to use miui nandroid for a slot. I didn't use slot 1 when trying to miui, don't think it makes a difference. I also had issues with darkslide x, had to use nandroid. Also tried SSM 602 v3 to a slot and did the same, stuck at boot logo. For that installed v2 and it bootup then went back to phone rom and flashed v3 on top with no wipes and it worked that way. So maybe something with roms system versions that wont let it boot.

JNEHAMA
10-02-2011, 11:28 AM
Don't know how but I have miui working great as the phone rom. Have vortec and apex in rom slots
. No issues booting to any of them. One thing I did do was start with a fresh copy of miui after a sbf.

Gingerbread Miui on steroids

Maybe I'll make a clean install when DXC releases the next build. It's going to be a new port based on the defy instead of the milestone. That deserves a clean start. If I can't make it work then I'll give up and use CM7

Wulf
10-02-2011, 12:09 PM
Maybe I'll make a clean install when DXC releases the next build. It's going to be a new port based on the defy instead of the milestone. That deserves a clean start. If I can't make it work then I'll give up and use CM7

I just changed my phone rom from cm7 to miui. Since I have my SD roms setup and safe on SD card I made a backup of cm7 and restore a backup of miui 23. After updating my apps and it finished syncing I installed boot manager from the market and then set my phone rom to miui. I had tested booting to each of my SD roms and finally booted back to my phone rom which is now miui. Hope this helps out.

Sent from my DROIDX

zoe
10-02-2011, 01:37 PM
Just to be sure, what is your phone rom? And is your Miui install a zip or a nandroid back up? Thanks.

phone rom is cm7gb 26 (soon to be 1001)

miui was a clean install of dxc's 9.23 build. I tried a nandroid install but it was the 9.16 w/bad battery 100% (made before the fix, hoping to restore and fix later)

I had wanted to use the nandroid to save time setting up the rom, but eh, oh well... seeing that this is my 'secondary' rom, a clean install is actually ok as I don't need to set up everything, just the most used = smaller install

zoe
10-02-2011, 01:41 PM

I was having a similar issue, for me checking that super user app was totally updated and turned off logging allowed me to get past the boot logo/animation looping

I did completely delete the slot first as well, and I had to reinstall with all wipes over the new install

yeah a bit of work getting it going, but afterwards this app is amazing

9wire
10-02-2011, 02:27 PM
Got Apex up, and rooted deodexed ,602, but Vortex wouldn't boot, ended up restoring. Maybe a bad install?

savagerun
10-02-2011, 02:35 PM
Got Apex up, and rooted deodexed ,602, but Vortex wouldn't boot, ended up restoring. Maybe a bad install?

What were you on and how did you try to install vortex. Im not very clear on that by reading your post.

mapatton82
10-02-2011, 02:59 PM
I got all my ROMs setup but when I am on Apex or Stock 602 the Boot Manager widget shows that I am on the Phone ROM and will not let me boot into any other ROM. I have power off and run the update script of the ROM I want to boot to. Has anyone seen this yet?

Sent from my DX running a ROM!!

Wulf
10-02-2011, 03:25 PM
I got all my ROMs setup but when I am on Apex or Stock 602 the Boot Manager widget shows that I am on the Phone ROM and will not let me boot into any other ROM. I have power off and run the update script of the ROM I want to boot to. Has anyone seen this yet?

I haven't seen that. Did it give you any errors?

Sent from my DROIDX

Wulf
10-02-2011, 03:28 PM
I have successfully installed sensei's ICX rom to a slot. Looks good but ICS launcher is a little buggy. Not all features work on the launcher.

Sent from my DROIDX

Nemo aeternamn
10-02-2011, 03:32 PM
I have successfully installed sensei's ICX rom to a slot. Looks good but ICS launcher is a little buggy. Not all features work on the launcher.

Sent from my DROIDX

Nice... I was wondering about that... And just finished the download... And I'll give it a go...

We have nothing to fear but running out of beer

savagerun
10-02-2011, 03:34 PM

Sent from my DROIDX

Im getting ready to download that now to give it a try just waiting for my phone to fully charge. Thx for the info on the launcher let us know if you find anymore issues. Its nice to know those things ahead of time....

mapatton82
10-02-2011, 06:37 PM

Sent from my DROIDX

It just says "Error loading rom#". But if I reboot into recover and run the update.zip for the ROM I want it works great.

Wulf
10-02-2011, 06:42 PM
It just says "Error loading rom#". But if I reboot into recover and run the update.zip for the ROM I want it works great.

Did you update boot manager? There was an update recently.

Nemo aeternamn
10-02-2011, 06:52 PM
Icx runs great on this... And now to update it...haha

We have nothing to fear but running out of beer

dracon6ai
10-02-2011, 08:26 PM
Just downloaded boot manager maybe 2hrs ago. Was running MIUI so I set that as my phone rom, downloaded zips of vortex and liquid and put them in slots 1 and 2 respectively and had no issues booting anything so far. So tag another success story for MIUI as a phone rom. And now for the real success story, I can watch my NFL app again till they fix it in MIUI. Oh the things I do for football. Lol

Edit: Got Vortex and Stock GB to work. No go on liquid due to kernel difference. Had my labels mixed up in all the excitement.

Wulf
10-02-2011, 08:37 PM
Just downloaded boot manager maybe 2hrs ago. Was running MIUI so I set that as my phone rom, downloaded zips of vortex and liquid and put them in slots 1 and 2 respectively and had no issues booting anything so far. So tag another success story for MIUI as a phone rom. And now for the real success story, I can watch my NFL app again till they fix it in MIUI. Oh the things I do for football. Lol

How did you get liquid to work? Isn't it still a froyo based rom? This was only suppose to work on gingerbread kernel.

Edit: either all froyo or gingerbread kernel.

mapatton82
10-02-2011, 09:12 PM

Sent from my DROIDX

Wulf I got everything working. For some reason Apex and Stock 602 where showing up as the ohone ROM in Boot Manager. I cleared data in manage apps for Bokt Manager and now it shows the correct ROM and I can switch between all my ROMs. Now I need to start some themeing!!!!

Wulf
10-02-2011, 09:15 PM
Wulf I got everything working. For some reason Apex and Stock 602 where showing up as the ohone ROM in Boot Manager. I cleared data in manage apps for Bokt Manager and now it shows the correct ROM and I can switch between all my ROMs. Now I need to start some themeing!!!!

Awesome, good to here.

Sent from my DROIDX

9wire
10-02-2011, 09:29 PM
Re-dl'ed Vortex, all good now.

popcenator
10-02-2011, 09:37 PM
I gave up, the only thing I couldn't get to work was the phone ROM. I setup the phone ROM correctly, restored nandroids to slots 1 & 2, was able to boot into slot 1 but I could never get back or boot any other slot.

gbrinn
10-02-2011, 09:37 PM
Got Liquid-GB downloading, now.

redsox 98
10-02-2011, 09:48 PM
If I dl a rom and put into say slot 1 and boot into that rom for the first time threw boot manager and get it all set up? Is there a way to back it up so if I go boot into another slot and a few days later go back to that slot? I just was curious if there was a way. Thanks

Wulf
10-02-2011, 10:11 PM
Got Liquid-GB downloading, now.

Wait, there's a newer version that liquid v2.6?

Sent from my DROIDX

Wulf
10-02-2011, 10:12 PM
If I dl a rom and put into say slot 1 and boot into that rom for the first time threw boot manager and get it all set up? Is there a way to back it up so if I go boot into another slot and a few days later go back to that slot? I just was curious if there was a way. Thanks

Yes you can backup the rom that's in a slot and later restore it if you want.

Manage installed rom->Backup ROM slots

Sent from my DROIDX

redsox 98
10-02-2011, 10:14 PM

Sent from my DROIDX

uhh simple as saying it? lol How? Sorry for the smart ass comment. Just a lot of stuff going on in this app.

Wulf
10-02-2011, 10:15 PM
uhh simple as saying it? lol How?

Sorry edited previous post.

Sent from my DROIDX

redsox 98
10-02-2011, 10:17 PM

Manage installed rom->Backup ROM slots

Sent from my DROIDX

Thanks Man!!!

Wulf
10-02-2011, 10:19 PM
Thanks Man!!!

Your welcome.

Sent from my DROIDX

dracon6ai
10-02-2011, 11:26 PM
You're right Wulf, after reading your post I went back though to check my Liquid slot and I had my labels mixed up, I actually booted stock GB instead of liquid (didn't stay on it long enough to pick up on it, just wanted to see it work). I tested my newly fixed labeled Liquid slot to get greeted to a frozen boot logo. Lol. Sorry for misleading ya.

wireman2161
10-03-2011, 01:28 AM
For anyone trying to get MIUI to work in a slot i figured out how to make it work. You have to install the 9-16 build first and get it set up activate sign with google ,ect. then you can go back and update to the 9-23 build dont wipe anything and you should be good to go. it only took all evening to figure it out lol. The only place i could find the 9-16 build was in rom manager. now i have cm7 as phone, miui , apex, and liberty I'm open to sugestions for my last slot if anyone has ideas.

Ampclamp
10-03-2011, 06:04 AM
For anyone trying to get MIUI to work in a slot i figured out how to make it work. You have to install the 9-16 build first and get it set up activate sign with google ,ect. then you can go back and update to the 9-23 build dont wipe anything and you should be good to go. it only took all evening to figure it out lol. The only place i could find the 9-16 build was in rom manager. now i have cm7 as phone, miui , apex, and liberty I'm open to sugestions for my last slot if anyone has ideas.

Make a stock gb.

Wulf
10-03-2011, 06:07 AM
You're right Wulf, after reading your post I went back though to check my Liquid slot and I had my labels mixed up, I actually booted stock GB instead of liquid (didn't stay on it long enough to pick up on it, just wanted to see it work). I tested my newly fixed labeled Liquid slot to get greeted to a frozen boot logo. Lol. Sorry for misleading ya.

No.prob, was hoping there was an update, lol. I heard there might be one but no eta, same with SSX.

Wulf
10-03-2011, 06:10 AM

Good to know, there os ICX from sensei. Its in one of my slots, running it for the day and good so far except few bugs with ics launcher.

mapatton82
10-03-2011, 06:21 AM

I was able to get the MIUI 1.9.23 to install without any problems and it booted up fine.

Wulf
10-03-2011, 06:30 AM
I was able to get the MIUI 1.9.23 to install without any problems and it booted up fine.

Is MIUI your phone rom or slot rom? Issue some have had, self included, was installing Miui 23 into a slot.

mapatton82
10-03-2011, 06:44 AM
Is MIUI your phone rom or slot rom? Issue some have had, self included, was installing Miui 23 into a slot.

Well when I first installed Boot Manager, MIUI was my phone ROM but I was having an issue when I would try to boot into another ROM it would reboot into MIUI. So I SBF'ed and loaded the latest CM7GB as my phone ROM and then installed my slot ROMs in the order (although I don't think it matters) Apex 2.0 RC3, MIUI 1.9.23, VorteX 2.2, and Stock 602 (version released by Moble_Sensei). Then I booted into each one, signed in and restored Apps and set everything up.

When I loaded all my ROMs I made sure I had all three boxes checked for wipes and all of the ROMs were loaded fresh, not from nandroids.

gbrinn
10-03-2011, 06:45 AM
Wait, there's a newer version that liquid v2.6?

Sent from my DROIDX
Don't remember the version number right now, but it said Gingerbread in ROM Toolbox.

Bkdodger
10-03-2011, 06:52 AM
Don't remember the version number right now, but it said Gingerbread in ROM Toolbox.

It's v2.6 it does say GB but still off the froyo kernel ...

Sent from elGato's X..

gbrinn
10-03-2011, 07:15 AM

Sent from elGato's X..
Wow. That's fail. Glad I haven't tried to install it, then.

mapatton82
10-03-2011, 07:44 AM

Sent from elGato's X..

+1, The ROMs need to be on the latest kernel that came with Gingerbread. All the 2nd-init ROM started on the older kernel that came with Froyo, but ROMs were will considered Gingerbread because of the Android version they were built from. Some of these ROMS have already moved over to the new kernel like CM7 and MIUI.

I think this is a list of the ROMs that will work with Boot Manager (let me know if I missed any)

MIUI 1.9.16 and higher
CM7GB (CM4DX-GB)
Anything based on 569,602,605 (examples include Darkslide X, Shuji, Apex, VorteX, ICX, and more)

I think SSX, Liquid, and Libery are working on builds for the new kernel but I have not heard of their release yet!!

Wulf
10-03-2011, 07:45 AM
Well when I first installed Boot Manager, MIUI was my phone ROM but I was having an issue when I would try to boot into another ROM it would reboot into MIUI. So I SBF'ed and loaded the latest CM7GB as my phone ROM and then installed my slot ROMs in the order (although I don't think it matters) Apex 2.0 RC3, MIUI 1.9.23, VorteX 2.2, and Stock 602 (version released by Moble_Sensei). Then I booted into each one, signed in and restored Apps and set everything up.

When I loaded all my ROMs I made sure I had all three boxes checked for wipes and all of the ROMs were loaded fresh, not from nandroids.

Hmmm..... Then my issue was either
A. I tried installing Miui before boot manager update which was suppose to have kernel installer fix.
B. Maybe I didn't try installing from phone rom, Im sure I did though.

I always checked the three boxes. Oh well, Miui is my phone rom and everything is setup and running.

Wulf
10-03-2011, 10:56 AM
I installed VorteX 2.3 and ApeX test 605 into a slot and both are working good. Now I have Miui as phone rom and apex test 605, VorteX 2.3, ICX, and cm7 GB into a slot.

redsox 98
10-03-2011, 12:09 PM
Just going to throw my 2 cents out there. I was having issues using cm as my phone rom but couldn't boot into miui if it was in a slot. So I made miui my phone rom and now I can boot into all my slots that I have roms in. Also I have no problems getting into miui as my phone rom. Hoping we get an OMFGB update soon. I'm holding an open slot for that.

mapatton82
10-03-2011, 12:15 PM
I installed VorteX 2.3 and ApeX test 605 into a slot and both are working good. Now I have Miui as phone rom and apex test 605, VorteX 2.3, ICX, and cm7 GB into a slot.

Wulf, where did you find Apex test 605?

Wulf
10-03-2011, 12:17 PM
Just going to throw my 2 cents out there. I was having issues using cm as my phone rom but couldn't boot into miui if it was in a slot. So I made miui my phone rom and now I can boot into all my slots that I have roms in. Also I have no problems getting into miui as my phone rom. Hoping we get an OMFGB update soon. I'm holding an open slot for that.

Can you manually boot into a slot? While phone is on pull battery and put back in. It should take you to clockwork and then choose install zip from sd card and go to boot manager and choose any of the rom folders and select the update zip inside and after its done back out and reboot. See if that works. You can try a fresh install of cm7 or Miui as phone rom and install boot manager again from market. Sd roms should be ok.

Wulf
10-03-2011, 12:18 PM
Wulf, where did you find Apex test 605?

Follow him on twitter, there is a link in one of his posts.

mapatton82
10-03-2011, 01:53 PM
Follow him on twitter, there is a link in one of his posts.

I did and I found the link and downloaded it to my phone and it downloaded with the same name as the ICX ROM?!? Is Apex 605 and ICX the same??

Wulf
10-03-2011, 02:06 PM
I did and I found the link and downloaded it to my phone and it downloaded with the same name as the ICX ROM?!? Is Apex 605 and ICX the same??
Mine downloaded as
Fabolous_ApeX_V2-0-0_605_Test.zip to download folder on my phone.

mapatton82
10-03-2011, 02:09 PM
Mine downloaded as
Fabolous_ApeX_V2-0-0_605_Test.zip to download folder on my phone.

Hmmm, maybe I got the wrong person!

Wulf
10-03-2011, 02:17 PM
Hmmm, maybe I got the wrong person!

Did you search for "Bigxie" on twitter?

zoe
10-03-2011, 02:26 PM
trying to find a good stock .605 to install into a slot. I have the tbh app & it's aio's on my phone, but I ain't think they're working into an empty slot.

i'm on vacation right now, so search is limited to my phone (not the greatest capability)... any suggestions for a dl link (i do have good wifi) or what worked for creating a .605 stock build

fwiw, phone rom is cm7gb and miui 9.23 is working fine in one slot. all apps are up to date as well

popcenator
10-03-2011, 02:27 PM
Lol patton, did you get it figured out?

Wulf
10-03-2011, 02:38 PM
trying to find a good stock .605 to install into a slot. I have the tbh app & it's aio's on my phone, but I ain't think they're working into an empty slot.

i'm on vacation right now, so search is limited to my phone (not the greatest capability)... any suggestions for a dl link (i do have good wifi) or what worked for creating a .605 stock build

fwiw, phone rom is cm7gb and miui 9.23 is working fine in one slot. all apps are up to date as well

The only thing I saw for stock 605 is by sensei over at rootzwiki http://rootzwiki.com/showthread.php?6621-ROM-Stock-Rooted-Deodexed-4.5.605
Only other options is VorteX 605 or ICX also by sensei (ICX not VorteX).

mapatton82
10-03-2011, 03:11 PM
Lol patton, did you get it figured out?

I figured it out. The last thing I downloaded on my phone was ICX and for some reason when I clicked on the link for Apex it was re-downloading ICX. Cleared cache and history on the browser and now it is working. Crazy phone!!!

zoe
10-03-2011, 04:58 PM
The only thing I saw for stock 605 is by sensei over at rootzwiki http://rootzwiki.com/showthread.php?6621-ROM-Stock-Rooted-Deodexed-4.5.605
Only other options is VorteX 605 or ICX also by sensei (ICX not VorteX).

thnx, his post for Icx says you need to already be on .605 so that was another reason I wanted to set up a .605 rom

I think it's funny that I struggle setting up stock rom's after having been on cm7 & miui for so long. forgot the 'basics'...

Wulf
10-03-2011, 05:24 PM
thnx, his post for Icx says you need to already be on .605 so that was another reason I wanted to set up a .605 rom

I think it's funny that I struggle setting up stock rom's after having been on cm7 & miui for so long. forgot the 'basics'...

I saw the post. I had sensei 602 v2 installed in a slot and ICX installed right over that no problems(with wipes of course). The link I posted said you can be 602 or 605. Hope you get things going.

JNEHAMA
10-03-2011, 07:23 PM
Can I ask how you switch a rom that was on the sd to become the phone rom. Do you make a nandroid via CWM and flash it then set it as phone rom or can you reset it directly while running it off the sd card and then replace the slot with a different rom?. Also I see the back up function in boot manager. Does that automatically go to the current slot so the next time around it is the back up and not a fresh install. Don't want to set up each time I re-enter a rom.

Wulf
10-03-2011, 07:47 PM
Can I ask how you switch a rom that was on the sd to become the phone rom. Do you make a nandroid via CWM and flash it then set it as phone rom or can you reset it directly while running it off the sd card and then replace the slot with a different rom?. Also I see the back up function in boot manager. Does that automatically go to the current slot so the next time around it is the back up and not a fresh install. Don't want to set up each time I re-enter a rom.

Don't think its possible to make a sd rom to phone rom. If you try and use CWM for sd rom that could really mess things up since its controlled by boot manager app.
The backup option copies the sd rom slot you choose to a backup folder in the boot manager folder, kind of like what clockwork does. If you boot to a different sd rom your current one stays the same as when you left it when you return back to it ans don't have to set everything up again.

JNEHAMA
10-03-2011, 08:31 PM
Don't think its possible to make a sd rom to phone rom. If you try and use CWM for sd rom that could really mess things up since its controlled by boot manager app.
The backup option copies the sd rom slot you choose to a backup folder in the boot manager folder, kind of like what clockwork does. If you boot to a different sd rom your current one stays the same as when you left it when you return back to it ans don't have to set everything up again.

So if I understand correctly, to change phone rom you flash it over the existing phone rom and reset. I assume I can make a nandroid of my current phone rom and apply the nandroid to a free slot then flash the new rom and set it as phone. Thanks.

Wulf
10-03-2011, 08:42 PM
So if I understand correctly, to change phone rom you flash it over the existing phone rom and reset. I assume I can make a nandroid of my current phone rom and apply the nandroid to a free slot then flash the new rom and set it as phone. Thanks.

Yes, you can change phone roms by flashing over your current one in clockwork. I changed my phone rom from cm7 to miui 23. I made a backup of cm7 in clockwork then restored miui 23 backup and installed boot manager from market and first thing I did after that was make it my phone rom. Then I restored nandroid of cm7 to a slot and that worked out as well.

mapatton82
10-04-2011, 06:25 AM
Wulf, I saw the new version of MIUI has been release in order to update my SD ROM do I install over it without wiping system and data and just wipe cache?? I assume this would be the same for flashing themes as well right?

Wulf
10-04-2011, 06:48 AM
Wulf, I saw the new version of MIUI has been release in order to update my SD ROM do I install over it without wiping system and data and just wipe cache?? I assume this would be the same for flashing themes as well right?

Yes, just as flashing a theme don't check any of the boxes and install into the slot. Cache should be fine

tycoon177
10-04-2011, 07:25 AM
Will this work on froyo?

usiris208
10-04-2011, 07:30 AM
Right now i believe it's for 2nd int roms

Sent from Droidx CM7 GB using Tapatalk.

mapatton82
10-04-2011, 07:33 AM
Will this work on froyo?

No the ROMs need to be using the kernel that came with Gingerbread. Your Phone ROM has to be on a 2nd-init ROM running the new kernel like MIUI 19.16 and higher or CM7GB. The SD ROMS can be anything based off the Gingerbread ROMs 596 and higher.

Wulf
10-04-2011, 07:37 AM
Will this work on froyo?

Just as was mentioned has to be GB kernel, just double checked.

Droid X rom's ******BOOT********
CM74DX gingerbread kernel MIUI gingerbread kernel OMFGB nightly with gingerbread kernel Liberty GB Apex 2.0 Stock Gingerbread Deodexed SSM602.3 Shujji_Rom-2.2 Vortex_GBv2.1

*****Don't Boot*****
All rom's requiring Froyo kernel ShadowRom GingerAle3.0 ZombieStripped on D2

This from there website.

dsr13
10-04-2011, 02:38 PM
OK, question: I have miui. 23 as my phone ROM and cm7 and SSMv3 in slots. Everything seems to be good except I can't download from the market in cm7. I was running the newest gapps and I tried to fix the problem by downgrading to the July gapps release...no go on that. So I can't download tibu to uninstall the market and reinstall an .apk and I'm not sure how to proceed. Any ideas? Any alternate sites to download tibu and android market?

Wulf
10-04-2011, 03:36 PM
OK, question: I have miui. 23 as my phone ROM and cm7 and SSMv3 in slots. Everything seems to be good except I can't download from the market in cm7. I was running the newest gapps and I tried to fix the problem by downgrading to the July gapps release...no go on that. So I can't download tibu to uninstall the market and reinstall an .apk and I'm not sure how to proceed. Any ideas? Any alternate sites to download tibu and android market?

Can you download from any of the other sd roms? I have miui 30 as phone rom and cm7 in a slot and I am able to download from the market. Check your SD card to make sure its not full. You can go to android market on PC and see if you can push the apps to your phone.

https://market.android.com/

dsr13
10-05-2011, 07:15 AM
Thanks, I decided to just wipe and reinstall to slot 4...seems to have fixed the problem for now.

Wulf
10-05-2011, 03:59 PM
Battery for VorteX slot rom is starting to settle in. Light to moderate use 10 hours 36 minutes and I'm at 60%. Tomorrow is apex.

zoe
10-05-2011, 06:09 PM

idk if it will help you, but if you save the .apk onto your sdcard you should be able to install it just by clicking on it when running the other rom's

of course you need to have them saved first, if you'd previously just been installing from the market directly it won't help this go around but is good for future planning

csk415
10-05-2011, 06:22 PM
I have been checking in on this thread and still don't seem to understand this completely. Would it be possible for someone who understands it make a boot manager for dummies thread. Or if its explained somewhere else post a link.

Wulf
10-05-2011, 07:16 PM
I have been checking in on this thread and still don't seem to understand this completely. Would it be possible for someone who understands it make a boot manager for dummies thread. Or if its explained somewhere else post a link.

Lol. Ok if you want to try it get from the market. And make a android backup of what you have now.
1.choose your phone rom. It has to be a 2 init rom either Miui or cm7. Start with cm7, easier to work with.
2.after you decide which rom you want flash it as you normally would, flash gapps if cm7, and set everything up.
3.install boot manager and give it permissions and open the app.
4.select "Set up Phone Rom", it will give you warnings telling you to make sure you are not using sd rom, follow the instructions and when done you are ready to start installing roms to slots.

Ill update op with some more details, this will at least get you started.

csk415
10-05-2011, 07:30 PM
Thanks wulf. Hated to ask but it seems like such a good tool. Its easier to understand when its all in one post. Right now all the info is scattered throughout the thread. I hope I wasn't the only one thinking wtf.

Wulf
10-05-2011, 07:54 PM
Thanks wulf. Hated to ask but it seems like such a good tool. Its easier to understand when its all in one post. Right now all the info is scattered throughout the thread. I hope I wasn't the only one thinking wtf.

No prob, we all we stumbling trying to get it going at first, lol.

originaldroidx
10-05-2011, 09:39 PM
Hey I downloaded liberty v.09 from romtoolbox which took forever, and now when I search for it to install it to bootmanager I can't find it under anything! What folder is it in?!?

as_daylight_dies
10-05-2011, 10:02 PM
Hey I downloaded liberty v.09 from romtoolbox which took forever, and now when I search for it to install it to bootmanager I can't find it under anything! What folder is it in?!?

Sdcard/romtoolbox/download. It has a weird name

Sent from my Droid X running MIUI 1.9.23

JNEHAMA
10-05-2011, 11:30 PM
@wulf how do you install a nandroid to a slot? Is it install zip or some other way. I am now running Miui 30 for my phone rom. Have a working vortex 2.5 on slot 2. Want to put my CM7 nandroid into a slot.

Wulf
10-05-2011, 11:43 PM
@wulf how do you install a nandroid to a slot? Is it install zip or some other way. I am now running Miui 30 for my phone rom. Have a working vortex 2.5 on slot 2. Want to put my CM7 nandroid into a slot. Choose your slot and let it run. After it finishes boot to it to make sure its OK.

Open boot manager app>Manage installed roms>Restore nandroid to SD and it will take you to all the folder/files on your SD card. Then navigate to clockwork folder/backup and then choose your nandroid backup and select it. It will ask you to restore nandroid and click OK. And it should ask you to pick a slot.

originaldroidx
10-06-2011, 12:02 AM
Sdcard/romtoolbox/download. It has a weird name

when i go there in bootmanager it just says nightlies then when I click on that its empty. When I use astro to find it in the nightlies folder it says lgbdx09main

JNEHAMA
10-06-2011, 12:10 AM
Open boot manager app>Manage installed roms>Restore nandroid to SD and it will take you to all the folder/files on your SD card. Then navigate to clockwork folder/backup and then choose your nandroid backup and select it. It will ask you to restore nandroid and click OK. And it should ask you to pick a slot.

That's what I have been doing, it says successful install in my notification area but when I go to check the slot it remains empty. I've tried all my empty slots.

Wulf
10-06-2011, 12:21 AM
That's what I have been doing, it says successful install in my notification area but when I go to check the slot it remains empty. I've tried all my empty slots.

Did you exit the app and open it up again? I see that happen sometimes.

Wulf
10-06-2011, 12:25 AM
One thing you can try is install a rom into a slot so the app can make an image and then restore the nandroid and see if that works.

JNEHAMA
10-06-2011, 12:47 AM
I got them to install but now when I go to boot I stick at the boot logo, for both cm7 zip and nandroid. The only one to boot up is vortex

as_daylight_dies
10-06-2011, 01:19 AM
I got them to install but now when I go to boot I stick at the boot logo, for both cm7 zip and nandroid. The only one to boot up is vortex

Are u using the official CM7 nightlies? Rom manager only works with ginger roms and the official cm7 nightlies are still on the froyo kernal. U can only use the unofficial cm7 for gb kernal

dsr13
10-06-2011, 05:20 AM
when i go there in bootmanager it just says nightlies then when I click on that its empty. When I use astro to find it in the nightlies folder it says lgbdx09main

You need to rename that to .zip
Then just flash it normally

JNEHAMA
10-06-2011, 07:52 AM
Are u using the official CM7 nightlies? Rom manager only works with ginger roms and the official cm7 nightlies are still on the froyo kernal. U can only use the unofficial cm7 for gb kernal

I'm using the unofficial gb nightly. I've tried the zip and a nandroid

Wulf
10-06-2011, 08:20 AM
I'm using the unofficial gb nightly. I've tried the zip and a nandroid

Hmmm.. I haven't tried cm7 zip, only nandroid and that worked for me. Did you test the nandroid to see if its good? You could make a backup of your current phone rom and then try and restore cm7. Least that way you know if its good or not.

EDIT: I forgot to ask, are you restoring it from your phone rom? If you do it from sd rom I don't think it will work.

originaldroidx
10-06-2011, 07:06 PM
You need to rename that to .zip
Then just flash it normally

Ill try that thank you

JNEHAMA
10-06-2011, 08:10 PM
Hmmm.. I haven't tried cm7 zip, only nandroid and that worked for me. Did you test the nandroid to see if its good? You could make a backup of your current phone rom and then try and restore cm7. Least that way you know if its good or not.

EDIT: I forgot to ask, are you restoring it from your phone rom? If you do it from sd rom I don't think it will work.

From phone rom. I was tired so I gave up for the night. I just tried loading a nandroid of my current build miui 30 to a slot and that failed to install. I have to say the app is a great concept, but it is remarkably annoying. I can do the same thing, the same way three times and get three different results.

Wulf
10-06-2011, 09:31 PM
From phone rom. I was tired so I gave up for the night. I just tried loading a nandroid of my current build miui 30 to a slot and that failed to install. I have to say the app is a great concept, but it is remarkably annoying. I can do the same thing, the same way three times and get three different results.

Sorry to hear its not working for you. It is the first release and I'm sure there will be updates to make improvements but that does not help you now. The only thing I can think of is wipe cache from phone rom and clear data in app but sounds like your throwing in the towel and who can blame you, lol. I hope you get it going if you decide to try again. Good luck.

Wulf
10-06-2011, 09:34 PM
I posted a little basic guide for boot manager in op. Not much, I hope it helps out some. Please fight through the typos, lol.

csk415
10-06-2011, 09:49 PM
I posted a little basic guide for boot manager in op. Not much, I hope it helps out some. Please fight through the typos, lol.

This is awesome. Thanks a million wulf for taking the time to write it up.

Wulf
10-06-2011, 09:55 PM
This is awesome. Thanks a million wulf for taking the time to write it up.

No prob, glad to help out if I can.

zoe
10-07-2011, 03:45 AM
it's been mentioned before, but one thing I've found very helpful is to set the screen time out for 10 minutes or more so that you can watch the install progress in the notification drop down...

it helps me to see where/what isn't going well, and it also keeps me from screwing around doing other things while boot manager uses alot of the system resources... I need to practice more patience at times

idk why either but I typically have to flash a sdcard rom twice for it to install properly into an empty slot. could possibly have something to do with the fact that most rom's i've chosen do say that you need to be on XXX type rom first and well an empty slot is uh empty...

havensed
10-07-2011, 05:06 AM
I had issues my first attempt at boot manager, but I read you need to stop your screen Fromm turning off while loading, it helped. Also as usual if you can start from a clean phone room install, things work well. Have all slots full and they all work fine.

"Life is tough, but even tougher if you're stupid. ". John Wayne.
Rooted running Boot Manager, with Miui 1.9.30 as my phone rom and many other roms for fun.

grey_hammer
10-07-2011, 12:34 PM
Okay. I just updated from Froyo 2nd init to gingerbread 2nd init. Here's what I've done, so far. Originally I SBF'd to 340, then did an SBF to 602, rooted with the one click tool, installed the D2 boot manager completely updated the Superuser and rom manager, then moved to the 1001 CM7 zip. At this point I made certain that I was back up and running completely with all the updates and such and finally installed the Boot Manager. At no point during this process did I mess with the 605 update.

So, I have a bunch of questions.

Is the 1001 update a 602 or 605 environment? It looks like its a 605, but I'm just not sure.

I'm able to boot to MIUI as slotted ROM without any real issues. However, I can't for the life of me get Vortex to work for me. I installed the ROM to slot 1, changed the screen time out to 10 minutes and it shows to have installed properly. But, whenever I try to boot to it the phone gets stuck on the red M logo and I can't get recovery to come up in any way even after repeatedly pulling the battery. So, I have to SBF and start all over which is about a 2 hour process.

What am I doing wrong?

Wulf
10-07-2011, 01:54 PM
Okay. I just updated from Froyo 2nd init to gingerbread 2nd init. Here's what I've done, so far. Originally I SBF'd to 340, then did an SBF to 602, rooted with the one click tool, installed the D2 boot manager completely updated the Superuser and rom manager, then moved to the 1001 CM7 zip. At this point I made certain that I was back up and running completely with all the updates and such and finally installed the Boot Manager. At no point during this process did I mess with the 605 update.

So, I have a bunch of questions.

Is the 1001 update a 602 or 605 environment? It looks like its a 605, but I'm just not sure.

I'm able to boot to MIUI as slotted ROM without any real issues. However, I can't for the life of me get Vortex to work for me. I installed the ROM to slot 1, changed the screen time out to 10 minutes and it shows to have installed properly. But, whenever I try to boot to it the phone gets stuck on the red M logo and I can't get recovery to come up in any way even after repeatedly pulling the battery. So, I have to SBF and start all over which is about a 2 hour process.

What am I doing wrong?

I haven't updated cm7 to latest update so not sure of that's an issue. Did you setup your phone rom? Did you install vortex from phone rom as well?

Latest VorteX is based on 605, that could be an issue. If you have VorteX based on 602, v2.2, 2.3, you could install that, boot up to make sure it worked, boot back to phone rom and then install latest version over that. If not flash another 602 based rom like apex rc3 and install vortex over that.

grey_hammer
10-07-2011, 02:56 PM
Pardon me, but what does "install latest version over that" mean exactly?

Wulf
10-07-2011, 05:32 PM
Pardon me, but what does "install latest version over that" mean exactly?

Sorry, what i mean is if you flash 602 rom into a slot and it boots up and then boot back into phone rom and then you can flash the 605 rom (latest version) in the same.slot where you flashed the 602 rom with all boxes checked for wipes, system, data, cache. This has worked for me before but not always, worth a shot.

tycoon177
10-07-2011, 07:29 PM
I'm in love with this!

havensed
10-07-2011, 09:48 PM
Just increased SD card size 16 up to 32GB, plenty of room for all 5 roms now.

Rooted running Boot Manager, with Miui 1.9.30 as my phone rom and many other roms for fun.

tycoon177
10-07-2011, 09:56 PM
Just increased SD card size 16 up to 32GB, plenty of room for all 5 roms now.

Ya...im waiting for mine from 1saleaday because 3 roms on my sd are eating up almost half of my 16 gb card.

Wulf
10-07-2011, 10:33 PM
Ya...im waiting for mine from 1saleaday because 3 roms on my sd are eating up almost half of my 16 gb card.

Lol, I have a few mb's left, yeah I said mb's. Good thing I have another 16gb sd card.

zoe
10-08-2011, 12:55 AM
aww man, I knew there was a downside to this that I was forgetting...

hmm, now what should I delete...

havensed
10-08-2011, 06:29 AM
I upgraded to 32GB, just for this app, and I have 17GB free with 5 roms.

havensed
10-08-2011, 06:58 AM
Here's my current list and all work great.http://tapatalk.com/mu/aefc7356-3af3-867d.jpg

Wulf
10-08-2011, 09:14 AM
Here's my current list and all work great.http://tapatalk.com/mu/aefc7356-3af3-867d.jpg "Life is tough, but even tougher if you're stupid. ". John Wayne. Rooted running Boot Manager, with Miui 1.9.30 as my phone rom and many other roms for fun.Nice!! I loaded liquid last night too, lol.

grey_hammer
10-08-2011, 10:35 AM
So, does Liquid 3.0 work on Boot Manager. I still can't get Vortex to work at all on my phone even after installing MIUI to slot 1, booting to it, then going back to phone and installing Vortex over it. Would it be a big problem to go ahead and take the OTA 605 update?

Wulf
10-08-2011, 11:07 AM
So, does Liquid 3.0 work on Boot Manager. I still can't get Vortex to work at all on my phone even after installing MIUI to slot 1, booting to it, then going back to phone and installing Vortex over it. Would it be a big problem to go ahead and take the OTA 605 update?

Liquid is setup as my phone rom, haven't tried to make a slot rom yet.

Have you tried to install VorteX 2.2? That has worked for me. If it works then you can try installing v2.5 over 2.2.
Worse case, make a backup of your current phone rom in CWM and then flash VorteX 2.5, after setting it up make a backup in CWM and then restore your phone rom and from your phone rom restore your nandroid backup of VorteX 2.5 to a slot.

originaldroidx
10-08-2011, 11:57 AM
Here's my current list and all work great.http://tapatalk.com/mu/aefc7356-3af3-867d.jpg

3 questions: where did you get apex final? Can I just flash over my phone rom to update it? And how do you transfer stuff from one SD card to another? I didn't realized how much space this took and am planning to get another

zoe
10-08-2011, 12:51 PM
I haven't seen apex final, last I saw was v2.0.0.605_test that bigxie (fab) tweeted a link for. he said it hadn't been tested enough to post the link on a forum, but I grabbed that version the day before yesterday... idk if something else has been dropped since however

last time I used the apex rom slot, I wasn't able to reboot to the phone rom w/o a batt pull, still testing it to see what's up with that

for the phone rom, you just flash in cwm as normal just make sure that when you open up boot manager again that you hit the set up phone rom button again

sdcard rom's you select flash zip in boot manager, likely not selecting any/all wipe options depending and select the slot to apply the flash to

for a new sdcard, drag everything over to a computer and then drag it back to the new one... should work, may need to check a few things and/or run a fix permissions after moving them to a new card... i'm sure if I just told you something bad there, some one else will come in and correct me shortly...

havensed
10-08-2011, 10:56 PM
I dragged all from my 16 GB to computer then back to my new GB, it took extra time to boot at first but then everything was fine.

Ampclamp
10-09-2011, 08:55 PM
Thanks for all the work you put into this thread Wulf. Got my 32gb sd on friday. Been playing with this boot manager for almost 48 hours. Learned a lot and finally got her done. Phone rom MIUI 9.23, slot 1 CM4DX-GB, slot 2 LiquidX, slot 3 Fab's ApeX RC3 and last slot 4 deodexed 602 v2. All are booting just fine. Currently running slot 2 LiquidX. This is awesome!!!

Wulf
10-10-2011, 12:42 AM
Thanks for all the work you put into this thread Wulf. Got my 32gb sd on friday. Been playing with this boot manager for almost 48 hours. Learned a lot and finally got her done. Phone rom MIUI 9.23, slot 1 CM4DX-GB, slot 2 LiquidX, slot 3 Fab's ApeX RC3 and last slot 4 deodexed 602 v2. All are booting just fine. Currently running slot 2 LiquidX. This is awesome!!!
Glad to help out. Nice setup, good to see you got things going. Haven't tried putting liquid in a slot. Glad to here it works.

jonlutz217
10-10-2011, 01:44 AM
can someone help me? im on miui 9.23. I try setting it as my phone rom and it instantly fails?..it says "phone set up failed. make sure your on 2nd init" pretty damn sure im on 2nd init aha. tried clearing data and rebooting and random crap but still having the problem. Ive searched everywhere and everyone says theyve put miui as their phone rom just fine?...

havensed
10-10-2011, 04:43 AM
I am using a different Miui, 1.9.30 works fine. Might be a bad copy of Miui, try clearing the apps data, reboot, then create a phone rom.

BHuber09
10-10-2011, 12:20 PM
Okay ive been working on this for a day, and i cannot get this to work for me..
So im gonna ask for help to see what im doing wrong.
Ive followed all the steps you listed in the OP.
Im currently on Liquid 3.0 GB kernel
Ive tried installing zips and nandroids, Zip i tried 605 ICX and that didnt work and as a nandroid i tried apex 602 and also shuji 602. Neither worked.
I followed the steps precisely, however when you/Wulf said it would take 15 minutes to make it, it took me less than 2.
Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Wulf
10-10-2011, 12:54 PM
Okay ive been working on this for a day, and i cannot get this to work for me..
So im gonna ask for help to see what im doing wrong.
Ive followed all the steps you listed in the OP.
Im currently on Liquid 3.0 GB kernel
Ive tried installing zips and nandroids, Zip i tried 605 ICX and that didnt work and as a nandroid i tried apex 602 and also shuji 602. Neither worked.
I followed the steps precisely, however when you/Wulf said it would take 15 minutes to make it, it took me less than 2.
Any help would greatly be appreciated.

If it took less than 2 something could be wrong, I have yet for anything to take less than 5 minutes, longer if slot has been deleted.
OK, instead of liquid, start with cm7 gb. Before you do make a backup of liquid and if you got time sbf and start fresh again. Install cm7 and gapps setup everything up and make a backup of that. Then we'll go from there.

BHuber09
10-10-2011, 01:06 PM
I thought that might have been the problem, so im downloading cm7gb.
And charging for the sbf
Thanks for helping.. I can normally figure this out but i cant this one for some reason hah.

jonlutz217
10-10-2011, 03:39 PM
I am using a different Miui, 1.9.30 works fine. Might be a bad copy of Miui, try clearing the apps data, reboot, then create a phone rom.

No its not a bad download. its running perfect on my phone and has been for two weeks now. but for whatever reason bootmanager thinks im not on a 2nd init rom?... idk what to do

dxh3378
10-10-2011, 06:57 PM
Wulf,
So a few questions I could use your expertise on.
1. A. I have CM4dx as my phone rom... so to update to a new nightly, would I flash using the native CWM/Rom Manager, as it is the phone rom, or does that need to go through boot manager?
B. And kinda of on that note, If I want to change my phone rom to MIUI, I would then flash over CM using which ever method is the answer to part A, and then do "set as phone rom" function.

2. I am itching to try the MIUI 10.7, but per the install instructions, it requires an SBF. Will using the BM backup function allow me to re-install my slot roms post sbf. (I have Apexrc3, MIUI 9.3, and ssm602v3, all set up from install zips, so i don't have any actual nandroids of their current configurations) Does the BM back up make another copy of the rom or just do stuff to it to make it more retrievable, I'm getting low on Gigs yo.

3. Regarding .605 roms. I read that they seem to take better if flashed over a .602 version, I should be able to flash the new apex RC4 over my current RC3 without data wipes correct? I want to put Liquid in slot 4, but without a .602 to flash it over, would I be better off flashing over some other rom, with all the wipes, or, just apply the zip to the slot and go from there.

4. Lastly... Battery accuracy. I was on my slot 3 MIUI and the battery had drained to 50%, I then rebooted into my slot 1 apex and the battery was showing fully charged. Is that a phenomenon that will work itself as everything settles in. What about calibrations? Should I do one for each rom? Does it even matter, with all the swapping back and forth, will the stats just keep getting all discombobulated anyway?

Again, big props for all your efforts with this thread, and many others. You sir, are like a beast... a wild carnivorous animal... Oh what's the word I'm looking for...
Thanks again
Dxh

Wulf
10-10-2011, 07:04 PM
Wulf,
1. A. I have CM4dx as my phone rom... so to update to a new nightly, would I flash using the native CWM/Rom Manager, as it is the phone rom, or does that need to go through boot manager?
And kinda of on that note, If I want to change my phone rom to MIUI, I would then flash over CM using which ever method is the answer to part A

Are you on GB cm7 by rev numbers? If I'm not mistaken its only for gingerbread 2nd Init roms.

As far as your phone rom (2nd Init rom of your choice) you would use rom manager as usual to flash latest version through cwm, again I think its for gb cm7 or gb miui.

jonlutz217
10-10-2011, 07:47 PM
hey wulf

im on miui gb 1.9.23; when i press set up phone rom it fails. It tells me to make sure im on a 2nd init rom?... any ideas what I can do to get this thing working?
thanks

dxh3378
10-10-2011, 08:02 PM
Are you on GB cm7 by rev numbers? If I'm not mistaken its only for gingerbread 2nd Init roms.

As far as your phone rom (2nd Init rom of your choice) you would use rom manager as usual to flash latest version through cwm, again I think its for gb cm7 or gb miui.

Doh!
While I was writing my novel, I posted before I was done (stupid touch pad), I edited with the rest.
Please have a look, back on page 19.
And yes the CM7 is the revnumbers gb.
Thanks

BHuber09
10-10-2011, 09:26 PM
Okay I am back to my same situation.
Trying to set up phone rom and it only takes maybe 5 seconds now.
Also same thing when I go to install zips and nandroids.
Any help would be greatly appreciated

FreeMyMoto!!!

Wulf
10-10-2011, 10:54 PM
Okay I am back to my same situation.
Trying to set up phone rom and it only takes maybe 5 seconds now.
Also same thing when I go to install zips and nandroids.
Any help would be greatly appreciated

FreeMyMoto!!!
Setting up phone rom is quick, I was thinking you were installing rom.
Which roms are you trying to install again?

Wulf
10-10-2011, 11:23 PM
Wulf,
B. And kinda of on that note, If I want to change my phone rom to MIUI, I would then flash over CM using which ever method is the answer to part A, and then do "set as phone rom" function.

2. I am itching to try the MIUI 10.7, but per the install instructions, it requires an SBF. Will using the BM backup function allow me to re-install my slot roms post sbf. (I have Apexrc3, MIUI 9.3, and ssm602v3, all set up from install zips, so i don't have any actual nandroids of their current configurations) Does the BM back up make another copy of the rom or just do stuff to it to make it more retrievable, I'm getting low on Gigs yo.

3. Regarding .605 roms. I read that they seem to take better if flashed over a .602 version, I should be able to flash the new apex RC4 over my current RC3 without data wipes correct? I want to put Liquid in slot 4, but without a .602 to flash it over, would I be better off flashing over some other rom, with all the wipes, or, just apply the zip to the slot and go from there.

4. Lastly... Battery accuracy. I was on my slot 3 MIUI and the battery had drained to 50%, I then rebooted into my slot 1 apex and the battery was showing fully charged. Is that a phenomenon that will work itself as everything settles in. What about calibrations? Should I do one for each rom? Does it even matter, with all the swapping back and forth, will the stats just keep getting all discombobulated anyway?

Again, big props for all your efforts with this thread, and many others. You sir, are like a beast... a wild carnivorous animal... Oh what's the word I'm looking for...
Thanks again
Dxh
Ok
A.If GB Cm7 is your phone rom you can flash the nightlies in clockwok as normal in Rom manager, Boot manager backups is only for sd card roms only.
B.You can change phone roms, same as when your are switching roms. I changed my phone rom from cm7 to miui.
2.Your sd roms are safely stored on your sd card and you can sbf with no worries. Just redownload bootmanager from market. When BM makes a backup, it backs up everything just as CWM does so it will take up some space.
3.Some 605 roms may install but its trial an error. You should be able to flash apex 605 over apex 602, might be best to do it that way.YOu could try installing liquid into a slot. You couold install apex 602 in another slot and liquid over apex, that should work to with wipes.
4.You would most likely have to calibrate each rom. I found it best if you charge overnight its best to choose one rom for the day and try not to boot into another rom so things dont get to far off. You might want to boot into each rom on a full charge and run it for the day until its drained charge over night and next day boot into another rom and do the same and repeat for the rest. Usually the first and second roms that I boot into appear to report the same battery stats, but after the third it goes by what it was when you last left it which is why you should boot into a rom on fully charged battery and then use it until it dies and let it charge overnight and switch roms in the morning. So best to switch roms on a full charge imo.

And thanks.

BHuber09
10-11-2011, 11:58 AM
Okay I finally got this working
Thanks for trying to help haha
I appreciate it!

FreeMyMoto!!!

Wulf
10-11-2011, 12:06 PM
Okay I finally got this working
Thanks for trying to help haha
I appreciate it!

FreeMyMoto!!!

Good to hear you got it going.

What was the issue and how you fix it btw?

cobracon71
10-11-2011, 12:13 PM
ok i just bought this app and love the concept and everyone else has theres working so i must be doing something wrong ....

phone rom- MIUI

slot 1- icx
slot 2 -ssm
slot 3- vortex

i have gapps installed and when i try to boot installed roms it reboots but boots back into my phone rom MIUI what am i doing wrong ?????

Wulf
10-11-2011, 12:30 PM
ok i just bought this app and love the concept and everyone else has theres working so i must be doing something wrong ....

phone rom- MIUI

slot 1- icx
slot 2 -ssm
slot 3- vortex

i have gapps installed and when i try to boot installed roms it reboots but boots back into my phone rom MIUI what am i doing wrong ?????

If you have miui you shouldn't need to install gapps. Did you try and clear data for boot manager, reboot? Or uninstall and reinstall? Check to make sure it has root permissions, miui can be funny like that sometimes, lol.

Scram
10-11-2011, 12:32 PM

phone rom- MIUI

slot 1- icx
slot 2 -ssm
slot 3- vortex

Boot manager was functional for me prior to my flashing the most recent miui on the defy base. Did you take the defy base miui update? I don't know if that's my (our) problem or not but I am experiencing the same thing you are since I flashed defy base miui...

Miui...

cobracon71
10-11-2011, 12:37 PM
If you have miui you shouldn't need to install gapps. Did you try and clear data for boot manager, reboot? Or uninstall and reinstall? Check to make sure it has root permissions, miui can be funny like that sometimes, lol.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forumswell the instruction page on the boot manager said to install gapps in the install slots with the rom installed in that slot so that is where i installed the gapps and no i havent tried any data clearing on app or anything but i will try that

it has root permission

thanks Wulf

cobracon71
10-11-2011, 12:40 PM
Boot manager was functional for me prior to my flashing the most recent miui on the defy base. Did you take the defy base miui update? I don't know if that's my (our) problem or not but I am experiencing the same thing you are since I flashed defy base miui...

Miui...hmhhmmmmm that may be it but i bought the app after i flashed defy so i dont know about before hand

so i will backup MIUI flash cm7 and put MIUI backup on a slot if data clear doesnt work

Wulf
10-11-2011, 12:53 PM
hmhhmmmmm that may be it but i bought the app after i flashed defy so i dont know about before hand

so i will backup MIUI flash cm7 and put MIUI backup on a slot if data clear doesnt work

You only install gapps to get market, which is for cm7. Now if you install gb cm7 you will have to flash gapps.

cobracon71
10-11-2011, 01:01 PM
data clear on the app is a no go so i guess its the defy base MIUI causing the problem so back up and install cm7 and try that

cobracon71
10-11-2011, 01:09 PM
well now this is interesting lol i went to back up miui lmaoo annnnnddd it said i only have 51 mb of space which i know the boot manager uses alot of space with all th rom info and what not the kicker is

when i rebooted to clear up space on the sd card it booted into cm7 from sd card i assume which is the last boot from sd i tried i am more then confused

BHuber09
10-11-2011, 01:09 PM
I uninstalled, reinstalled. Got CM7 as my base.
Then I believe iit was the roms I was trying to use.
Because Apex wouldn't work but liquid would.
Oh well still trying to get it exactly how I want it ha.

FreeMyMoto!!!

Wulf
10-11-2011, 01:11 PM
data clear on the app is a no go so i guess its the defy base MIUI causing the problem so back up and install cm7 and try that

The custom reboot option might be causing the issues come to think about it. Maybe you can try running dxc's script and then BM.

mapatton82
10-11-2011, 01:12 PM

Initially I had the same issuewhen running MIUI 1.9.30 as my phone ROM everything would boot right back to MIUI. I SBF'ed and installed CM7GB as my phone ROM and then re-installed all the SD ROMs and I have not had an issues since.

Also I thought I remember something in the OP of the MIUI DefX thread tstating that the booting process was different and DXC was working on something for Boot Manager.

dsr13
10-11-2011, 01:19 PM
Accoring to DXC, from MIUI (defy base) Pull up terminal emulator and type:
su
<press enter>
cat.jpg
<press enter>
This should restore ROM manager usability for a single session and let you boot into another BM ROM.
Let me know if this works.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

cobracon71
10-11-2011, 01:53 PM
ok i think you can run MIUI as your phone rom but when you boot into the sd card rom it boots you back to miui then u have to use the MIUI boot method to reboot then it boots into the sd rom

testing this theory

edit : working like a charm

dsr13
10-11-2011, 02:56 PM
Can you give a step-by-step step of the process you used? Thanks!

cobracon71
10-11-2011, 03:11 PM
after the installs are complete click boot installed rom and choose the rom you want to boot into
let the fone reboot
once it reboots press the start button and reboot recovery once into rcovery hit reboot and it should boot into the rom you wanted it did for me anyway

Wulf
10-11-2011, 03:17 PM
let the fone reboot
once it reboots press the start button and reboot recovery once into rcovery hit reboot and it should boot into the rom you wanted it did for me anyway

So after you select your SD rom and it reboots back to phone rom you hit power button and select recovery and the select reboot now and then it goes.to SD rom?

cobracon71
10-11-2011, 03:29 PM
So after you select your SD rom and it reboots back to phone rom you hit power button and select recovery and the select reboot now and then it goes.to SD rom?

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forumsthis is correct

at least it worked for me i cant say its gonna work for everyone

Wulf
10-11-2011, 03:48 PM
this is correct

at least it worked for me i cant say its gonna work for everyone

If a few others can verify this I can update OP with this.

cobracon71
10-11-2011, 04:10 PM
If a few others can verify this I can update OP with this.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X ForumsI am sure this is is the fix because you cant boot recovery with rom manager with defy so it would also pertain to any other app that boots itself with defy you have to boot off the roms boot image for it to work correct

Scram
10-11-2011, 06:40 PM
+1 cobracon...

Absolutely the fix for slot booting on defy base miui... Great job n thanx!!!

MIUI...

havensed
10-11-2011, 07:01 PM
So this must be for the new Miui from the defy build, I don't have to do that running the 1.9.30 version of Miui. I have been using it a my phone rom since boot manager was up for the DX.

zoe
10-11-2011, 07:06 PM
glad there's a fix for that for ppl running miui defy base as their phone rom, personally tho glad I'm using cm7 and miui in a slot

who knows what future changes will bring for cm7 users, but I'm confident we'll overcome any hurdles too...

cobracon71
10-11-2011, 07:15 PM
+1 cobracon...

Absolutely the fix for slot booting on defy base miui... Great job n thanx!!!

MIUI...awesome glad someone could confirm besides me lol now Wulf might post it up in the OP for others to see

dxh3378
10-11-2011, 08:13 PM
@Wulf,
Thanks a bunch for the clarifications, sorry it took so long to say so, it's been a long day.
I was able to put Liquid X into an empty slot without a hitch, I'm about to upgrade Apex now.

@Cobra,
Thanks for all the good info on MIUI 10.7
Don't think I'm up for an sbf and the whole nine yards tonight, but after I do I'll report back.

as_daylight_dies
10-11-2011, 09:04 PM
Good job cobra!

Wulf
10-11-2011, 09:32 PM
@Wulf,
Thanks a bunch for the clarifications, sorry it took so long to say so, it's been a long day.
I was able to put Liquid X into an empty slot without a hitch, I'm about to upgrade Apex now.

@Cobra,
Thanks for all the good info on MIUI 10.7
Don't think I'm up for an sbf and the whole nine yards tonight, but after I do I'll report back.

Your welcome.

And thanks to cobracon for finding a fix, great job!!
I updated OP with cobracons instuctions.

dsr13
10-12-2011, 07:59 AM
Accoring to DXC, from MIUI (defy base) Pull up terminal emulator and type:
su
<press enter>
cat.jpg
<press enter>
This should restore ROM manager usability for a single session and let you boot into another BM ROM.
Let me know if this works.

Just as and fyi, I installed MIUI 1.10.7 as my phone ROM, used the cat.jpg method above, and booted right into liquid 3.0 in slot 1 on the first try...no multiple reboots needed

Wulf
10-12-2011, 08:06 AM
Just as and fyi, I installed MIUI 1.10.7 as my phone ROM, used the cat.jpg method above, and booted right into liquid 3.0 in slot 1 on the first try...no multiple reboots needed

So our theory panned out.

The custom reboot option might be causing the issues come to think about it. Maybe you can try running dxc's script and then BM.

Ill update op with second method along with cobracon's method.

aypeeootrek
10-12-2011, 01:36 PM
If I was to setup bootmanager with all the slots filled, aprox how much memory does it take up? I'm just curious to see if I'm prepared or not. I have like 5 gigs now and maybe I can delete some old froyo nanos too. Also when boot manager backs it up, it's pretty much makes it own nano without me having to do one myself? And last question, it will install the roms I want itself with out having to make nanos and restoring them? Ex would be in on vortex now and i have darkslide, apex and liquid on my sd but Havnt installed them yet. Thanx in advance

zoe
10-12-2011, 01:52 PM
I can answer some...

expect about a gig per rom per slot to start, if you start creating backups for them it will increase exponentially and very quickly too.I started with about 8 gigs free and got down to 5 mb with all slots filled, deleted a bunch of old things to reclaim 2 gigs

if you're not on froyo now (I expect you aren't if you are looking to use boot manager) I wouldn't keep more than one froyo nandroid (the latest) if even that.

your example setup confused me a little, but check the boot manager site for compatible rom's before doing anything, save a lot of frustration if the rom's aren't supported. cm7 gb or miui gb are the best (safest/surest) bets for the phone rom

read up a bunch as it can be tricky to install rom's, myself i've had to flash a few rom's twice to get then running successfully. esp. for rom's that require a starting base when flashed to an empty slot

aypeeootrek
10-12-2011, 02:11 PM
Thanx for replying. I know you have to be on a 2int roms to begin with to get bm to work. What I was saying though is right now I'm on vortex, my first gb rom. I also have liquid, apex and darkslide on my sd card but I Havnt installed them yet and ran the roms. My question was does nm pretty much unzip and flash the roms for you when putting them on slots if you already Havnt? Hope that helps you understand it better.

Also, seems I may need an sd upgrade, what's the suggested route of transferring the data between the two? Just copy the original to my computer and then drag it all back onto my new one?

Wulf
10-12-2011, 03:39 PM
Thanx for replying. I know you have to be on a 2int roms to begin with to get bm to work. What I was saying though is right now I'm on vortex, my first gb rom. I also have liquid, apex and darkslide on my sd card but I Havnt installed them yet and ran the roms. My question was does nm pretty much unzip and flash the roms for you when putting them on slots if you already Havnt? Hope that helps you understand it better.

Also, seems I may need an sd upgrade, what's the suggested route of transferring the data between the two? Just copy the original to my computer and then drag it all back onto my new one?

You can start by making a backup of vortex in cwm. With the exception of darkslide x you can install them in slots. Darkslide x wont install in a slot, for that you need to install darkslide x rom and after setup make a backup. BM does all the work unzipping the roms when installing.

Yes, transfer with PC like you mentioned would be best.

aypeeootrek
10-12-2011, 03:45 PM
Thanx wolf. I might email the devs with some other questions as well. But in the meantime, gotta find me a 16gb micro

as_daylight_dies
10-13-2011, 09:58 PM
I have a question for the team. Just want to make sure I got this right before I delete my stock nandroid...

So I have a stock nandroid. I installed it as an sdcard rom. Now if I want, I can delete the nandroid from the clockwork backup folder and then if I ever need it again to flash my phone to it, I can just make a backup of my sdcard ROM and then restore it in CWM as my phone ROM. Is that correct? Or do I need to keep my stock nandroid in case I ever want to restore it as my phone rom?

Sent from my Droid X running MIUI 1.10.7

cobracon71
10-13-2011, 10:02 PM
I have a question for the team. Just want to make sure I got this right before I delete my stock nandroid...

So I have a stock nandroid. I installed it as an sdcard rom. Now if I want, I can delete the nandroid from the clockwork backup folder and then if I ever need it again to flash my phone to it, I can just make a backup of my sdcard ROM and then restore it in CWM as my phone ROM. Is that correct? Or do I need to keep my stock nandroid in case I ever want to restore it as my phone rom?

Sent from my Droid X running MIUI 1.10.7i would keep it on my pc just in case anything ever goes wrong but yes you can use it as your phone rom just install from sd and then choose as phone rom

as_daylight_dies
10-13-2011, 10:08 PM
i would keep it on my pc just in case anything ever goes wrong but yes you can use it as your phone rom just install from sd and then choose as phone rom

Ahhh nice. Cobra saves the day again. Thanks man

Wulf
10-13-2011, 10:10 PM

If you had to keep a nandroid backup I would keep the ones that can be used as a phone rom, GB cm7, Miui, liquid 3.0, or any other future 2nd init GB rom, SSX soon?. Any other blur based rom cannot be used as phone rom. Once it is backed up as a sd rom you could rename it and store it on a pc. As far as I know once you have a sd rom I dont think there is a way to restore it back to a CW nandroid, I could be wrong lol.

cobracon71
10-13-2011, 10:58 PM
ok guys just figured this out too on boot manager instead of boot from sd you can

reboot cwm

install zip from sd

choose zip from sd

go to boot manager file open it and install which slot you want to boot from and choose the update zip

install yes

reboot for those of u running miui as fone rom

Wulf
10-13-2011, 11:11 PM
ok guys just figured this out too on boot manager instead of boot from sd you can

reboot cwm

install zip from sd

choose zip from sd

go to boot manager file open it and install which slot you want to boot from and choose the update zip

install yes

reboot for those of u running miui as fone rom

Nice, Havent tried it that way before but wondered if it would work. Now we know, thanks.

cobracon71
10-13-2011, 11:14 PM
ur welcome Wulf and Daylights

Droid_DX
10-13-2011, 11:54 PM
Ok I have set up zips from the roms I want on BM. Now when I go to boot back into my phone rom. I get booted back into the current SD rom. Not into my phone rom??? MIUI is the phone rom by the way.

cobracon71
10-13-2011, 11:59 PM
Ok I have set up zips from the roms I want on BM. Now when I go to boot back into my phone rom. I get booted back into the current SD rom. Not into my phone rom??? MIUI is the phone rom by the way.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forumstry booting into recovery then install zip from sd

then choose zip from sd

got to boot manager file open it and go to phone rom and install the update zip and click yes install then back key and reboot

Droid_DX
10-14-2011, 12:24 AM
I have tried that. It still for some reason keeps booting me back to the same rom. I can boot into other roms no problem. Just not into the phone rom.

cobracon71
10-14-2011, 12:50 AM
then evidently you didnt set the fone rom or it did not recognize it

Droid_DX
10-14-2011, 01:03 AM
It did say phone rom successful when I was MIUI. I can start over no biggie.
Thanks for the help

Wulf
10-14-2011, 05:14 AM
It did say phone rom successful when I was MIUI. I can start over no biggie.
Thanks for the help

You can try running dxc's cat script and see if that will work.

Wizard0f0s
10-15-2011, 12:28 AM
@Wolf - Great write up!

I wanted to add one tip for anyone on the MIUI Defy base (I didn't see this in the OP, forgive me if I just missed it). Installing Script Manager and setting the cat.jpg (/system/xbin/cat.jpg) script to a favorite & widget can save a good bit of time and typing. When you run it, there isn't any acknowledgement that it runs. Just back out of script manager and then boot your slot rom.

Single boot to get there and a lot less typing.

-----------
The fastest way to learn is to break something. The learning comes with fixing it again.

melfunn
10-15-2011, 10:38 PM
What ver. of MIUI should I download to my SD so that I can use it with Boot Manager. I've read threads that said to use the latest ver. you have to SBF to .602 regardless what you are running. I am on .605 cm7.
Thanx

havensed
10-16-2011, 07:29 AM
any in a slot, but as a phone rom the defy version presents some complications, I am using 1.9.30 as my phone rom. B UT I am using the defy version as a slot rom.

melfunn
10-16-2011, 10:28 AM
Thanks havensed. Can I use rooted .602 as a sd rom?

mapatton82
10-16-2011, 03:38 PM
Thanks havensed. Can I use rooted .602 as a sd rom?

Yes you can, you just need to use a 2nd-init ROM as your phone ROM. All the sd ROMs can be anything Gingerbread using the new kernel.

melfunn
10-16-2011, 03:48 PM
Thanks again

Never leave cm7