PDA

View Full Version : Baseball's wild night

Amazonfemme
09-29-2011, 12:22 PM
Anyone else stay up way too late last night flipping between baseball games? What an amazing night of heartstopping play. As a lifelong Mets fan who lives in Maryland and roots for the Orioles (except when they're playing the Mets), I didn't have a stake in any of the games ... but as a die-hard fan, it was baseball geek heaven. I don't think I've seen anything that exciting, not to mention improbable, since Game 6 of the 1986 World Series. Just incredible.

Any other baseball fans here? Did your team make it to the playoffs? If not, who are you rooting for now?

cory46
09-29-2011, 12:30 PM
I loved every second of it! Awesome night. I'm an Indians fan but I'll be cheering for Tampa Bay and St Louis now.

I hope the rest of the playoffs is just as good

1Kitkatdidiwags

Cigator
09-29-2011, 12:31 PM
As a life long Yankee fan, I actually got great joy seeing the Rays beat the Yanks to close out the Red Sox and their historic collapse.

B360155
09-29-2011, 12:39 PM
Incredible evening for MLB. I was torn last year because I'm a California native and a SF Giants fan at heart that lives in the Fort Worth area of TX now so see a lot of Rangers games. Giants didn't make it this year, so now it's Go Rangers!

HarleyDude
09-29-2011, 12:40 PM
Sorry, hard to get excited after my home team clinches division 3 weeks early and sets it's own record for wins in a season. Go Phils!!!

sideshowbob29
09-29-2011, 12:46 PM
Yea that was a great night last night. Sad to see my Yankees lose but happy to see the red sox out the playoffs. And what's up wit the braves???

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

Rsmin
09-29-2011, 12:51 PM
Bad night to be a Braves fan, great night to be a baseball fan. As far as the Braves, their bats just went to sleep the month of September.

Even, if they had made it to the playoffs with the bats this quiet they wouldn't have lasted very long.

gbrinn
09-29-2011, 01:09 PM
As a life long Yankee fan, I actually got great joy seeing the Rays beat the Yanks to close out the Red Sox and their historic collapse.

Amen.

cory46
09-29-2011, 01:15 PM
Bad night to be a Braves fan, great night to be a baseball fan. As far as the Braves, their bats just went to sleep the month of September.

My best good friend (thanks bubba and forest for the saying!) Is a braves fan and he has been one unhappy fella this past month haha

1Kitkatdidiwags

C Dippa
09-29-2011, 01:30 PM
My best good friend (thanks bubba and forest for the saying!) Is a braves fan and he has been one unhappy fella this past month haha

1Kitkatdidiwags

Yeah, no joke...what a collapse. Was so bummed after the game last night. Would have rather been terrible all year than to end the season like that...

Oh well...back to football for me

Sent from my X to the interwebz

holly
09-29-2011, 01:30 PM
Fabulous night of baseball. Incredible. The Giants are my team but now looking forward to postseason. The Phillies want this bad and they are the easy pick but I'm hoping the Tigers and the Brewers make a statement. How far can Verlander take Detroit?

Sent from my non-rooted dx

Amazonfemme
09-29-2011, 03:05 PM
And what's up wit the braves???

I guess I need to revise my earlier statement about not having a stake in the outcome of any of the games. As a Mets fan, I'm duty-bound to root against both the Phillies and the Braves ... but I have to admit I was pulling for Philly last night. After all they've already won the division ... adding the Braves into the playoff mix would've just annoyed me more. :wink:

popcenator
09-29-2011, 03:12 PM
I'm a Cubs fan myself, so I just gave up watching baseball altogether and started YouTubing circus videos...I feel the outcome is the same.

In all seriousness I missed last nights action...

Amazonfemme
09-29-2011, 03:17 PM
Fabulous night of baseball. Incredible. The Giants are my team but now looking forward to postseason. The Phillies want this bad and they are the easy pick but I'm hoping the Tigers and the Brewers make a statement. How far can Verlander take Detroit?

Verlander has been crazy-good this year. I hope he can carry them all the way.

My dad would give me grief if he heard me say it (he's a Rays and a Yankees fan), but I'm pulling for Detroit to go to the Series. My husband, seamhead that he is, would love to see a Tigers/Cards World Series because of the history it would evoke (Gibson vs. Lolich, anyone?). I kind of like that idea myself.

cory46
09-29-2011, 03:32 PM
I'm a Cubs fan myself, so I just gave up watching baseball altogether and started YouTubing circus videos...I feel the outcome is the same.

In all seriousness I missed last nights action...

Haha my old roommate was a cubs fan. Did you watch " catching hell" on ESPN Tuesday I think about Bartmam?

1Kitkatdidiwags

Amazonfemme
09-29-2011, 03:33 PM

LOL! You may be right!

popcenator
09-29-2011, 03:39 PM
Haha my old roommate was a cubs fan. Did you watch " catching hell" on ESPN Tuesday I think about Bartmam?

1Kitkatdidiwags

I did not, though I wanted to, I already feel bad for the guy. He didn't look like he was much of an athlete and just wanted a cool souvenire without really thinking about the situation.

cory46
09-29-2011, 03:52 PM
I did not, though I wanted to, I already feel bad for the guy. He didn't look like he was much of an athlete and just wanted a cool souvenire without really thinking about the situation.

Yeah dude didn't / doesn't deserve the flack just about anyone would have done the same

1Kitkatdidiwags

Amazonfemme
09-29-2011, 03:54 PM
Yeah dude didn't / doesn't deserve the flack just about anyone would have done the same

1Kitkatdidiwags

You mean like Jeffrey Maier? :wink:

ToeJamm57
09-29-2011, 03:54 PM
I wish Texas would have lost to solidify home field for the Tigers. It will be interesting to see how things go. If the Tigers keep playing the way they have for the past month they can beat any team... but we shall see.

cory46
09-29-2011, 04:01 PM
You mean like Jeffrey Maier? :wink:

Haha no that little cutie reached into play pulled it over. Bartmam was in foul territory.

Tj. Tigers man Verlander is.... well should be MVP ( from an Indians fan hurts to say haha)

Edit: just realized the swear filter nailed me oops

1Kitkatdidiwags

ToeJamm57
09-29-2011, 04:06 PM
Verlander had a great year. Also Cabrera will likely get AL batting title and we had a closer with 49 saves. Good year for them overall.

Haha no that little **** reached into play pulled it over. Bartmam was in foul territory.

Tj. Tigers man Verlander is.... well should be MVP ( from an Indians fan hurts to say haha)

1Kitkatdidiwags

cory46
09-29-2011, 04:09 PM
we had a closer with 49 saves.

Jose "Salsa Verde" haha

1Kitkatdidiwags

gbrinn
09-29-2011, 04:16 PM
Mariano Rivera...best closer...ever

Amazonfemme
09-29-2011, 04:19 PM
Haha no that little **** reached into play pulled it over. Bartmam was in foul territory.

1Kitkatdidiwags

Heh. Whatever you called him, I can promise you my husband calls him far worse.

Amazonfemme
09-29-2011, 04:22 PM
Mariano Rivera...best closer...ever

Yep. Mo transcends team loyalties and rivalries. You can hate the Yankees (which I do) and still appreciate his greatness. Jeter's the same way, though his greatness is less about the stats than it is about the intangibles.

firefighterguy
09-29-2011, 04:28 PM
Tigers man Verlander is.... well should be MVP ( from an Indians fan hurts to say haha)

This thread is awsome!

Verlander is a great pitcher. But pitchers already have their MVP award - the Cy Young. They shouldn't be able to take an MVP from a position player. A position player can't win a Cy Young, so why should a pitcher be able to win an MVP?

"Patriotism is supporting your Country at all times. And your government only when it deserves it" --Mark Twain

gbrinn
09-29-2011, 04:33 PM
Yep. Mo transcends team loyalties and rivalries. You can hate the Yankees (which I do) and still appreciate his greatness. Jeter's the same way, though his greatness is less about the stats than it is about the intangibles.

Jeter's a class act, which is hard to find in pro sports these days.

I've been a Yankees fan since I was a kid. I grew up watching Jim "Catfish" Hunter (a family friend) pitching for World Series wins in the '70s.

firefighterguy
09-29-2011, 05:01 PM
Very true.

gbrinn, you would get along with my wife, then. I am more of an NL fan. I was born at Robins AFB in GA, lived in Colorado for a little, then grew up in Tempe, AZ, then lige in CO again. So, naturally my teams are the Braves, Diamondbacks, and Rockies. So being a Braves fan, my wife and I are always giving eachother a hard time. She's a Yankees fan like you, gbrinn. It's awsome to have a wife that is almost as into baseball as I am. And be able to chill out with her watching virtually any game and each of us sucking back some beers.

And I might add, that even though the Yankees are not a favorite team of mine at all, and I give my wife a hard time, I do have to respect the competitiveness, success they have had, and the history they have, and being one of the older teams. And the Yanks and Braves have a lot of history together. So it's only fitting that we give eachother a hard time. Lol

*Edited

"Patriotism is supporting your Country at all times. And your government only when it deserves it" --Mark Twain

Lane W
09-29-2011, 05:28 PM
Cigator - That was so sweet to watch. ESPN said 3 minutes after the Sox lost they got to see the Rays win. That guy who hit the home run for TB hadn't hit a home run since 4/8/11. Good timing for us Yanks fans.

Although I do feel a bit sorry for the Sox fans who drove down to Baltimore? That's an 8 hr drive, but driving home must've really sucked.

Amazonfemme
09-29-2011, 05:40 PM
This thread is awsome!

Verlander is a great pitcher. But pitchers already have their MVP award - the Cy Young. They shouldn't be able to take an MVP from a position player. A position player can't win a Cy Young, so why should a pitcher be able to win an MVP?

I don't know about that. On the one hand, you're right that the Cy Young generally fills the same slot for pitchers as the MVP does for position players ... but on the other hand, the MVP has always struck me as less about stats and more about, well, overall value. Try making a case that Bob Gibson wasn't the NL's most valuable player at ANY position in 1968, or Sandy Koufax in 1963. I'm not saying it happens often, but I think there are times when the MVP and the Cy Young winner really should be the same guy.

firefighterguy
09-29-2011, 05:46 PM
I don't know about that. On the one hand, you're right that the Cy Young generally fills the same slot for pitchers as the MVP does for position players ... but on the other hand, the MVP has always struck me as less about stats and more about, well, overall value. Try making a case that Bob Gibson wasn't the NL's most valuable player at ANY position in 1968, or Sandy Koufax in 1963. I'm not saying it happens often, but I think there are times when the MVP and the Cy Young winner really should be the same guy.

That's a good point. And thank you for your candor! It is appreciated. I am still going to feel that the two should still be separated. Maybe it's just me being traditional or just wanting to hild onto tradition. Lol

Maybe they can put an asterisk by a pitcher's name too, who might win and MVP! Lol

Or MVP - Most Valuable Pitcher and an MVPP - Most Valuable Position Player? Lmao!

*Edited

Amazonfemme
09-29-2011, 05:47 PM
Jeter's a class act, which is hard to find in pro sports these days.

I've been a Yankees fan since I was a kid. I grew up watching Jim "Catfish" Hunter (a family friend) pitching for World Series wins in the '70s.

Wow, you know Catfish? That's so cool! He was a heck of a pitcher. I grew up watching him (and his awesome mustache), too -- my dad's a lifelong Yankee fan, and we used to watch the games on Channel 11 and occasionally go to Yankee Stadium. But we lived on Long Island, which meant Shea was closer. I saw lots more games there, and that's how I wound up a Mets fan.

Oh, and I agree with you 100% about Jeter. Not only is he a class act, but he's one of those players who has a knack for rising to the occasion (case in point: that out-of-nowhere, completely illogical, absolutely brilliant backhanded play he made during the 2001 ALDS). Cal Ripken was like that, too.

gbrinn
09-29-2011, 05:56 PM
Wow, you know Catfish? That's so cool! He was a heck of a pitcher. I grew up watching him (and his awesome mustache), too -- my dad's a lifelong Yankee fan, and we used to watch the games on Channel 11 and occasionally go to Yankee Stadium. But we lived on Long Island, which meant Shea was closer. I saw lots more games there, and that's how I wound up a Mets fan.

Oh, and I agree with you 100% about Jeter. Not only is he a class act, but he's one of those players who has a knack for rising to the occasion (case in point: that out-of-nowhere, completely illogical, absolutely brilliant backhanded play he made during the 2001 ALDS). Cal Ripken was like that, too.

Yep. He and my Dad played ball together as kids in Hertfordshire, NC. His farm is just down the road from my grandmother's house.

Was a shame when he died, but given he had ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease), he went mercifully fast.

holly
09-29-2011, 06:35 PM
Gibson, Koufax, and Hunter, great to see these names on this thread. Tigers/Cardinals - would love to see this as well. Pitchers can and do get the MVP (closers especially) but people naturally are divided. Verlander has been so exceptional he will get votes. I also have to like the Rays for their inspiring comeback.

gbrinn
09-29-2011, 06:39 PM
Gibson, Koufax, and Hunter, great to see these names on this thread.

Agreed.

holly
09-29-2011, 06:46 PM
Hunter, Blue, Holtzman, Fingers. I grew up watching the A's win three in a row. @firefighterguy unfortunately I can never root for the Yankees for all the usual reasons - their dominance for one - but you are right to point out their great baseball tradition. And who didn't celebrate Reggie Jackson's 3 homer game in the seventies.

gbrinn
09-29-2011, 07:07 PM
And who didn't celebrate Reggie Jackson's 3 homer game in the seventies.

Yeah, he really did earn the nickname "Mr. October"...

hillbilliegreg
09-29-2011, 07:10 PM
I was at my favorite cigar lounge last night (free wifi) and they had on espn, switching between games. i am a lifelong dodger/Orioles fan, so it was nice to see the O's play like it was the world series. Very exciting night of baseball, what an ending !

Amazonfemme
09-29-2011, 07:21 PM
Gibson, Koufax, and Hunter, great to see these names on this thread.

While we're on the subject of baseball names, I have one for Jose Reyes: Ted Williams. Now, I love my Mets, and I think Reyes is a terrific player. But Terry Collins pulled him out of last night's game after he got a bunt single in his first at bat -- not because he felt a twinge or was injured, but because Reyes wanted to preserve his batting average. In fact, he won this year's NL batting title, finishing at .337, after the Brewers' Ryan Braun went 0-for-4 and finished five points behind him.

Exactly 70 years earlier -- to the very day -- Ted Williams went into the final game of the season batting .400, though he'd recently been in a bit of a slump. Manager Joe Cronin offered to sit him so he could preserve his .400 average, but Williams said no, he wouldn't feel right about doing that. Teddy Ballgame went 4-for-5 and ended the season with a .406 average.

Reyes can celebrate his batting title, and I'm pleased that a Mets player finally won one, but the fact that he did it the way he did, and on that date, only points up the differences between someone like him and a truly great player like Williams.

gbrinn
09-29-2011, 07:23 PM
Like I said earlier, not many "class acts" out there these days.

hillbilliegreg
09-29-2011, 07:25 PM
"Jose Reyes"
you can't buy class or integrity

Amazonfemme
09-29-2011, 07:27 PM
Like I said earlier, not many "class acts" out there these days.

^^Truth.

gbrinn
09-29-2011, 07:28 PM
you can't buy class or integrity

This is oh, so true.

holly
09-29-2011, 07:29 PM
Didn't know that but not surprised (about Williams).

Sevn_1
09-29-2011, 07:38 PM
Anyone else stay up way too late last night flipping between baseball games? What an amazing night of heartstopping play. As a lifelong Mets fan who lives in Maryland and roots for the Orioles (except when they're playing the Mets), I didn't have a stake in any of the games ... but as a die-hard fan, it was baseball geek heaven. I don't think I've seen anything that exciting, not to mention improbable, since Game 6 of the 1986 World Series. Just incredible.

Any other baseball fans here? Did your team make it to the playoffs? If not, who are you rooting for now?

Angels are my team...All the games were amazing...now Im pulling for Tampa Bay

ToeJamm57
09-30-2011, 10:51 AM
Go Tigers. Gotta beat those D...Yankees!!!

gbrinn
09-30-2011, 11:53 AM
Go Tigers. Gotta beat those D...Yankees!!!

Pfft...

firefighterguy
10-06-2011, 10:53 PM
Dude! I LOOOOOVE it! In Game 2, the Tigers were all butt-hurt about Garcia having a wristband on. So the umps made him remove it. And now in Game 5, the Yankees made Benoit take off his band-aid that was on his face! Got those friggin Tigers back in a classic, funny way!! ROFLMAO!!!!

Plus it gets serves them right for all the blown calls behind the plate. The umps weren't calling the same things on the Tigers that they were calling on the Yankees. Its almost like the umps are trying to will Verlander into the next round/to the World Series.

ToeJamm57
10-07-2011, 09:19 AM
Hey - a man's gotta be able to cover up his raging zit for crying out loud.

I don't think the plate calls were one sided (but I could be accused of not being impartial). The sad fact is the Yankees had several chances to pull that game out last night and their hitters failed them. You cannot blame close calls on pitches for that. Bases loaded with 1 out and they can't get a run? Tiger pitching even threw them a bone by walking one in for heaven's sake. Bottom line - the Yankees blew it.

dennyjones
10-07-2011, 09:23 AM
Tigers, Lions and University of Michigan! I agree with the above post, the Yankees lost the game, not so much the Tigers won.

holly
10-07-2011, 10:13 AM
Very happy for the Tigers and the city of Detroit.

firefighterguy
10-08-2011, 01:39 AM
Lol, ToeJamm! Yeah. They had some chances. The calls didn't help, though. And the Yankees having an off night and not coming through in clutch times like they classically do usually certainly didn't help, either.

At least my Diamondbacks went down fighting - 3-2 in 10. And I will be going for the Card's . 1) Because I am an NL fan. 2) Because Matt Holiday plays for them and he was my favorite Rockie before they traded him. And Toni LaRusa was one of my childhood heroes. Pete Rose played for the Phillies too. And he was my favorite.

I hope the Rangers take the Tigers. Nolan Ryan was one of the last Great pitchers. So you have to root for that.

And when I say "the last of the Great pitchers," I am referring to the old-school *real* pitching. Where they would have a 12, 14, or sometimes close to 20 year career because they weren't throwing their arms out trying to blow heat by you. They finessed it. Threw you junk balls mixed with the FB and CU, and the nastiest of nasty junk balls - the Knuckle Ball. Where you could easily have a breaking ball break (I'm not kidding) 2-3 feet. And a nasty curve ball that looks like a friggin cork screw - starts high and away comes around inside and ends crossing the plate or sometimes even ending almost as far outside as it started. AND they could actually go a whole game EASY. And come back and pitch again if the coach needed the next day or day after or come in to relieve someone who was in a funk or having a bad day. Now, they can't go a whole game because either the coach pulls them, or they were throwing mainly heat and their arms hurt and they can't come back to play until at least 3 days later and their careers are only what? 5 years now? 10 if they are really really lucky? Randy Johnson was among the last of the real pitchers too. And he naturally throws heat without trying. So he never threw his arm out.

I loved that about Sabathia. He was willing to come back so soon if the coach needed him to reliege anyone. Now that's a teammate. Someone who is in it for the love of the game, competition, to do whatever is needed of him to help his team win.

Ahhh.
...those were the good old days.... Lol

Speaking of old school baseball rather than new baseball, what's the deal with runners coming home? Do they not teach you to barrel over the catcher anymore if he decides to block the base path whether he has the ball or not?? Are they affraid " sombody might hurt themselves?" Its part of the game. If you werent willing to be hit by a pitch, batted ball, run over for blocking the path, and possibly getting a owie, you wouldn't be playing the game. Lol.

::: Stepping off my soap box ::: Rant finished. Lol!

*Edited