PDA

View Full Version : Memory flip flop

bluesnell
09-28-2011, 01:05 AM
Okay so I understand ..I think..about the memories being switched in the ATRIX port ...which im running. I don't understand the "why" or what benefit or supposed benefit there was to them being reversed previous to the rom....or to why I might want to download the fix to the reversal in the rom. ALL I truelly understand is that along flashing ATRIX...I LOVE my phone and therefore don't want to mess up the "why's" to it running so smoothly. So I have been going through and switching apps to use my internal SD which is really my external....to save room on my REAL internal. So then I got to my "downloads" folder from my dolphin browser. Well I don't see a way to change it in dolphin settings and I want to save my ROMS and things I've downloaded onto my sd card.....so I just moved the entire download folder over to my internal(really my sd card) .....will my dolphin browser (and other apps I may need to do this to) just recognize the filder is the moved...and download things there? Will it just create itself a new folder in the other are and ill have to keep moving things....? Sorry im really dense about this I just want to continue my love affair with ATRIX without causing any problems.....

your mom goes to college ;)

juhde
09-28-2011, 04:28 AM
You're just over thinking it. The flip flop was created because every previous Android phone mounted the sdcard to /sdcard. The x2 and a few other phones implemented a new way, mounting internal storage at /sdcard and the sdcard at /sdcard-ext. So folks were used to it being one way, whined about it instead of dealing and adapting and a few people worked out a way to swap it so the sdcard mounts to /sdcard the way it used to be on their old Android phone.

For some reason or another 99% of the devs making roms for the x2 decided to include this modification in their roms. It is what is but personally, I don't like it. For one it confuses people (like you, no offense) for another there are very slight unforseen problems that *could* occur (highly unlikely problems, don't even worry about them). Lastly there is absolutely NO benefit to swapping them other than "that's the way it used to be on my old phone".

Any normal user app will just create the folder it needs regardless of which way your sdcard is mounted, and any root app (like titanium for example), let's you choose where you want to store it's data.

Bottom line, your internal storage will always be faster than your sdcard so when motorola designed this switch I think it was a wise choice. But apparently having things the way they used to be is better no matter what.

Guess I should throw out all my Android phones and dig that rotary phone out, now where did I leave my hipster glasses?

Hope this cleared it up for you, it is kinda hard to explain/grasp the concept.

Cheers

Sent from my DROID X2 using Droid X Forums

victimssun
09-28-2011, 07:38 AM
Ahhh, bluesnell! I just spent 15 minutes figuring out how to write this up in your other post! However, Juhde, I believe you worded it a lot better.

Fyi, I just installed eclipse, and "flip flopped" them back. Made since to me, so I want to keep it like this.

bluesnell
09-28-2011, 08:40 AM
Ahhhhh it is much simpler than I gave it credit for thank you juhde! !! Victim im sorry! I felt bad for hijacking that thread and thought I should ask my huge long question in it's own thread. Thank you for your response as well it helped me understand. You guys are awesome as always, and so patient with the beginners like me;);)

victimssun
09-28-2011, 09:03 AM
Haha, it's alright. I read your other post too, and glad you got it figured out.

bluesnell
09-28-2011, 02:10 PM
Used his memory flip! Glad to have it back this way! Thanks guys;)

bluesnell
09-29-2011, 12:03 PM
Hey guys....so since I downloaded the memory flip my phone is starting to glitch with the on screen standard keyboard again....thinkbit has anything to do with the flip or just random? I haven't downloaded anything new yet...since the memory flip zip....

juhde
09-29-2011, 12:30 PM
Hey guys....so since I downloaded the memory flip my phone is starting to glitch with the on screen standard keyboard again....thinkbit has anything to do with the flip or just random? I haven't downloaded anything new yet...since the memory flip zip....

Did you ever clear the keyboards app cache/data. I suggested it the other day it should fix the problem. And no, the flip flop *probably* has nothing to do with it.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Droid X Forums

victimssun
09-29-2011, 12:36 PM
It might have to do with the cache after switching the cards...? I honestly don't know, but try to clear the cache. Juhde told you those steps the other day. If that doesn't work, you could try swype or another keyboard

edit: haha, did it really take me that long to write this response...?