PDA

View Full Version : Trying to go from .602 with mods/bloat removal/nvram to a version which will update

TheTomas
09-27-2011, 08:28 PM
In the short-sighted believe .602 might be final, I did quite a bit of tweaking to my Droid X, But now I'm having trouble accepting the update. This is not surprising, since I know you must basically be stock to accept an OTA, but after thawing all my bloat and attempting again, it still didn't work. I did a backup and attempted to flash a stock .602 rom, but got an assert failed type message from the black hat .602 all-in-one. I tried looking for an alternative .602 stock rom on Rom Manager, but oddly, the "stock images" list is completely blank. I've been unable to find a stock .602 rom I can flash over my system and I'd really rather not sbf (It's been a pain before, so it's at the bottom of my list of options.)

Can anyone point out a stock droid x .602 rom I can flash over a tweaked, deodexed, themed, rooted .602 OR tell me a better way to get from where I am to rooted .605 without SBFing?

DirtyDroid
09-27-2011, 08:33 PM
In the short-sighted believe .602 might be final, I did quite a bit of tweaking to my Droid X, But now I'm having trouble accepting the update. This is not surprising, since I know you must basically be stock to accept an OTA, but after thawing all my bloat and attempting again, it still didn't work. I did a backup and attempted to flash a stock .602 rom, but got an assert failed type message from the black hat .602 all-in-one. I tried looking for an alternative .602 stock rom on Rom Manager, but oddly, the "stock images" list is completely blank. I've been unable to find a stock .602 rom I can flash over my system and I'd really rather not sbf (It's been a pain before, so it's at the bottom of my list of options.)

Can anyone point out a stock droid x .602 rom I can flash over a tweaked, deodexed, themed, rooted .602 OR tell me a better way to get from where I am to rooted .605 without SBFing?

I know its on the bottom of your lust, buuuut, did you ever try 1kds Linux method? It reminds of that commercial..set it and forget it...very very easy to use and a high success rate...
As far as I know there isn't a pre-rooted 605 yet..could be wrong..I know it can be rooted with the one click
Sent from my DROIDX

hillbilliegreg
09-27-2011, 08:37 PM
Is there a reason you want to go thru all that, for a keyboard fix? You say you're all tweaked out,so you're probably not running the stock keyboard anyway. Besides I don't think there are any rom's for the 605. Personally I'd stay where you're at

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

TheTomas
09-27-2011, 08:41 PM
I'll add the linux method to the list right above rsd, but I'm still hoping to find another method. It doesn't have to be a pre rooted .605, it can be a rooted or unrooted .602, i'll be happy to use 1 click to root once i've made it to .605 I just need a stock rom that doesn't fail. Anyone know why rom manager "stock images" is blank? or why the all in one fails?

@hillbilliegreg
I know someone is going to make this an argument for sbfing, but there's something going on with my system that i'm hoping the update will fix. It might not even be keyboard related, but it's a super annoying problem with google reader dropping to launcher with no error that I just can't pin down and which hasn't disappeared even after numerous reader, adobe flash and other updates/re-installs. I'm hoping a flash to .602 or .605 and re rooting will solve it. Again, I'll be willing to SBF (to .605 hopefully) but only after exhausting the rest of my options.

BTW, I appreciate the responses, even if I haven't found a solution I like yet. Thank you

DirtyDroid
09-27-2011, 08:59 PM
I'll add the linux method to the list right above rsd, but I'm still hoping to find another method. It doesn't have to be a pre rooted .605, it can be a rooted or unrooted .602, i'll be happy to use 1 click to root once i've made it to .605 I just need a stock rom that doesn't fail. Anyone know why rom manager "stock images" is blank? or why the all in one fails?

@hillbilliegreg
I know someone is going to make this an argument for sbfing, but there's something going on with my system that i'm hoping the update will fix. It might not even be keyboard related, but it's a super annoying problem with google reader dropping to launcher with no error that I just can't pin down and which hasn't disappeared even after numerous reader, adobe flash and other updates/re-installs. I'm hoping a flash to .602 or .605 and re rooting will solve it. Again, I'll be willing to SBF (to .605 hopefully) but only after exhausting the rest of my options.

I think that is your only option...ide buy you a virtual coffee lol on it that you can Sbf with that method to 602, take the update and reroot it in less than 45 min...;)

We can definitely help you throught it, and it might even fix the problem that you are having...IMO I don't care about the. 605 but if that's what you are looking for...we can get yah there :)

Sent from my DROIDX

TheTomas
09-27-2011, 09:15 PM
I think that is your only option...ide buy you a virtual coffee lol on it that you can Sbf with that method to 602, take the update and reroot it in less than 45 min...;)

We can definitely help you throught it, and it might even fix the problem that you are having...IMO I don't care about the. 605 but if that's what you are looking for...we can get yah there :)

Sent from my DROIDX

I appreciate the sentiment, but at the moment I'm back where I was (tweaked .602) I'm going to wait a few days for developments since it paid off for me last time (on the patch to .605). If nothing turns up I'll just suck it up and sbf. I'm hoping something will turn up.

DirtyDroid
09-27-2011, 09:22 PM
ok thats fine....im sure something will, i think i remember someone tweeting that P3 might have been working on it...

TheTomas
09-29-2011, 10:14 PM
So... I got sick of waiting and decided, since I didn't absolutely need my phone in working order for the next few days, I didn't have much to lose. I unfroze my bloat (don't think that was necessary) then SBF'd to .602 using the new version of RSD (5.4.4 i think?) and it went off without a problem. I think my previous bad experiences were mostly related to getting my computer to recognize the phone the first time I sbf'd but now they get along fine. After the SBF, I was surprised to find I still had all my apps and data, although I guess I shouldn't have been, since I didn't wipe anything beforehand. I *thought* SBF did that, but I guess not. I then accepted the .605 update without incident and used one-click to root with no problems. After checking to see that it was running ok, I froze some bloat and applied WUG's tether hack. It's still running great so far. I'm not getting my hopes up, but I THINK my strange problems have been resolved as well, as I haven't seen them since the update, and it was a pretty consistent problem before. I'll keep an eye out, but for now, I consider the update a success. Thanks for the help.