PDA

View Full Version : Question about nandroid backups...

bluesnell
09-26-2011, 10:03 PM
Probably a way stupid question..but when I boot into recovery and. Do a backup....does it always rewrite over the previous backup? I ask because I made one before I started flashing roms of course....but now I really like how I have my phone set up....if I were to flash a new theme id like to get back to how my phone is now.....not before I started putting roms on....but I don't want to write over that original backup ......does that make sense? I know a dumb one

your mom goes to college ;)

DirtyDroid
09-26-2011, 10:08 PM
no it does not overwrite the previous, if you you check out your file explorer, look in clockwork>backup> and you should see them all..i usually rename them so i know which one is which..

Nemo aeternamn
09-26-2011, 10:23 PM
and also a post script on nandroids... versions 2.5.x along with version 4.x... are backed up using an .img file extension... you use an app called yaffsexpert in the market.... and you can take the back up apart to pull apk's or to check the build.prop to see what it is... it's a really excellent tool for unpacking/packing those backups... however.... when they updated clockwork to the
5.x... they changed the file type to a .tar... which you can use astro or any file manager that deals with compressed files... like .zip and what not.. to go into the files if you need to pull something out...

just fyi..

Edit:(not really an edit...) but... i think... if you use i think it was either rom toolbox or rom manager to automatically make the back up... it puts it into a different folder... i think it was rom toolbox... when it was liberty toolbox... it puts in to /sdcard/clockwork/backups... which you can not access trying to restore in clockwork to restore the back up.. so if you see that folder... take the backup in there... and move it to /sdcard/clockwork/backup/... as stated by dirty.... and you will be able to use the back up...

found that one out the hard way...haha

DirtyDroid
09-26-2011, 10:29 PM
and also a post script on nandroids... versions 2.5.x along with version 4.x... are backed up using an .img file extension... you use an app called yaffsexpert in the market.... and you can take the back up apart to pull apk's or to check the build.prop to see what it is... it's a really excellent tool for unpacking/packing those backups... however.... when they updated clockwork to the
5.x... they changed the file type to a .tar... which you can use astro or any file manager that deals with compressed files... like .zip and what not.. to go into the files if you need to pull something out...

just fyi..

Snap Nemo..thanks for that! Your a good man, regardless if you are falling or not :D

Nemo aeternamn
09-26-2011, 11:04 PM
haha... i'm better when i'm not falling... and when i hit.. if not too hard... i'll remove that from my sig... and probably put something else there...haha

bluesnell
09-27-2011, 12:13 AM
Sweet thanks guys! As always this forum rocks!

Nickolas
09-27-2011, 04:55 AM
Those old backups take up alot of room so make sure you clean them up once in a while!

Sent from my DROID X2 using Droid X Forums

victimssun
09-27-2011, 07:58 AM
Those old backups take up alot of room so make sure you clean them up once in a while!

Dude tell me about it. I just realized that last backup I did had run out storage space and didn't complete... not only did I lose my last awesome setup, I sent my phone into a bootloop, and had to sbf. Oh well..

Nickolas
09-27-2011, 08:21 AM
Ya I cleaned up 2 gigs worth of old nandroids the other day

juhde
09-27-2011, 01:45 PM
I've gotten into the habit of once a week cleaning up my clockwork folder, copying any backup I want to keep to my computer and just leaving my most recent on the sdcard.

bluesnell
09-27-2011, 04:33 PM
Oh yeah thanks again guys for the advice! thanks for bringing that up nickolas im glad u said something!

Nickolas
09-27-2011, 05:21 PM
No worries