PDA

View Full Version : Difference in ROMs

icedice34
09-25-2011, 08:28 PM
I am currently running CM7 on the gingerbread kernel. I have been surfing the internet, but I can't seem to find much information out there. Can someone help me out here? I'm curious about trying new ROMs. I would like to continue to run off the Gingerbread kernel, so I know that limits a few of my potential ROM's.

Near as I can tell, I have the following options:
CM7
MIUI
Liquid Ginger version
Shuji
Liberty

Any I'm missing? So here's what I'm hoping. I'd like a bit more then just what ROM you are using. Could I maybe get a run down of some of the features, battery life experience, over clocking, undervolting etc, etc?

I really want full featured, and as much battery life as possible. Quite possibly my favorite part of CM7 is the power controls in the Notification bar, so I'd really like to keep that. Beyond that, I'm open to any cool features. I'm also not the most tech savvy when it comes to behind the scenes, having to do coding in the terminal emulator in order to make things work the proper way, so I'd like to avoid that.

Hoping I can get some information.

Thanks everyone.

DirtyDroid
09-25-2011, 08:40 PM
I am currently running CM7 on the gingerbread kernel. I have been surfing the internet, but I can't seem to find much information out there. Can someone help me out here? I'm curious about trying new ROMs. I would like to continue to run off the Gingerbread kernel, so I know that limits a few of my potential ROM's.

CM7
MIUI
Liquid Ginger version
Shuji
Liberty

Any I'm missing? So here's what I'm hoping. I'd like a bit more then just what ROM you are using. Could I maybe get a run down of some of the features, battery life experience, over clocking, undervolting etc, etc?

I really want full featured, and as much battery life as possible. Quite possibly my favorite part of CM7 is the power controls in the Notification bar, so I'd really like to keep that. Beyond that, I'm open to any cool features. I'm also not the most tech savvy when it comes to behind the scenes, having to do coding in the terminal emulator in order to make things work the proper way, so I'd like to avoid that.

Thanks everyone.

Running miui, and it is very nice, very very customizable, it does have the iOS, feel though, (no app drawer) but you can create folders, has a drop down toggle screen that can be changed. I personally haven't had a bad battery life, some have had worse, quite a few sweet mods for them (statusbar switched, center, right) not hotseat mod..The support from DXC is pretty amazing also, very quick to squash any bugs that may be found in it. All in all its a very well rounded rom, and worth a shot IMO.

lthelwpn
09-25-2011, 08:44 PM
Running miui, and it is very nice, very very customizable, it does have the iOS, feel though, (no app drawer) but you can create folders, has a drop down toggle screen that can be changed. I personally haven't had a bad battery life, some have had worse, quite a few sweet mods for them (statusbar switched, center, right) not hotseat mod..The support from DXC is pretty amazing also, very quick to squash any bugs that may be found in it. All in all its a very well rounded rom, and worth a shot IMO.

+1

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

lthelwpn
09-25-2011, 08:51 PM
Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Nemo aeternamn
09-25-2011, 09:01 PM

CM7
MIUI
Liquid Ginger version
Shuji
Liberty

Thanks everyone.

differnces...
cm7... pure aosp experience.. 2nd init base... extremely custiomizable... aosp interface... poor battery life
miui... pure aosp experience.. 2nd init base... extremely custiomizable... ios like in the interface... poor battery life
liquid... pure aosp experience... 2nd init base... still in early stages on the ginger kernel though... aosp interface... not as customizable as cm7 or miui... poor battery life
shuji... good blur experience... 602 based... pretty smooth for blur base... not as customizable as the 2nd init base... good battery life...
liberty... good blur experience... 596 based... pretty smooth for blur base.. not as customizable as 2nd init base... good battery life...

this is for the ginger kernel on these roms.. i've ran all these roms... and because of the features... and the experience... my fav is cm7

best way to find out which you like the best... test and try them out...

gbrinn
09-25-2011, 09:06 PM
There's always the Blur-based ROMs like DarkSlide X. It's Motoblur-based but debloated and has good battery life.

icedice34
09-25-2011, 09:34 PM
differnces...
cm7... pure aosp experience.. 2nd init base... extremely custiomizable... aosp interface... poor battery life
miui... pure aosp experience.. 2nd init base... extremely custiomizable... ios like in the interface... poor battery life
liquid... pure aosp experience... 2nd init base... still in early stages on the ginger kernel though... aosp interface... not as customizable as cm7 or miui... poor battery life
shuji... good blur experience... 602 based... pretty smooth for blur base... not as customizable as the 2nd init base... good battery life...
liberty... good blur experience... 596 based... pretty smooth for blur base.. not as customizable as 2nd init base... good battery life...

this is for the ginger kernel on these roms.. i've ran all these roms... and because of the features... and the experience... my fav is cm7

best way to find out which you like the best... test and try them out...

Sorry, aosp experience? Not familiar with that. Also, what's 2nd init? Also, if I switch to liberty, do I have to sbf to. 596?

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

Nemo aeternamn
09-25-2011, 09:49 PM
it's all good...
aosp... android open source project... this is the code that motorola, samsung, htc and all them build the codes for their phones... so it gives you the experience how it was originally made...
and here's a link explaining the 2nd init process
Still Loading ... » blog:2011-06-14:2nd-init._what_it_is_and_how_it_works (http://cvpcs.org/blog/2011-06-14/2nd-init._what_it_is_and_how_it_works)
and if your on 602... no.. you can just flash over the top of it... it will revert your system to 596.... and it will work just fine

icedice34
09-25-2011, 10:09 PM
it's all good...
aosp... android open source project... this is the code that motorola, samsung, htc and all them build the codes for their phones... so it gives you the experience how it was originally made...
and here's a link explaining the 2nd init process
Still Loading ... blog:2011-06-14:2nd-init._what_it_is_and_how_it_works (http://cvpcs.org/blog/2011-06-14/2nd-init._what_it_is_and_how_it_works)
and if your on 602... no.. you can just flash over the top of it... it will revert your system to 596.... and it will work just fine

Sweet thanks, and good to see you aren't sick of me yet. I'm pretty sure you've answered about 3/4ths of my questions!

Hopefully I will be done for a while. I kind of want to try MIUI, mostly because it appears to be so drastically different from most of the others. However, when i go to the MIUI official site (MIUI Official Site (http://en.miui.com/)) it doesn't list the DX as a phone that is available. Is it just so broad that it will work on most phones? Otherwise, where is the best source to download a safe/up-to-date version?

Lastly, while running CM7, can I simply flash any of those ROMs using rom manager? I don't need to SBF for any of them? Just flash over the top of CM7? The ones I'm fairly certain I will try in the next few days are MIUI, Liquid, and liberty. I have already tried Shuji and it was just there, didn't seem very much different.

Thanks!

Nemo aeternamn
09-25-2011, 10:16 PM
i can't have that... what's the quarter i missed???

here's the miui website with the dx download...

and yes... you can flash them right on top... about a week ago... i went from cm7 to apex to shuji... then back to cm7... with no sbf... so you are good to get in all your flashing needs

icedice34
09-25-2011, 10:33 PM
I don't see a link to the miui rom? Did it get missed?

Nemo aeternamn
09-25-2011, 10:35 PM
it was there.... *was*...
not sure what happened there... but here it actually is... right???
http://roms.miui.us/

Enzymaticracer
09-25-2011, 10:43 PM
Don't forget about Apex 2.0 RC3.

I really liked apex while I was on it. I actually have enough trust in it and Fabolous that I just flashed it onto my girlfriends phone for her.

I'm running CM7GB right now. However, when Chevy releases SSXGB I'm switching to that STAT.

Sent from my DroidX running CM74GB using Tapatalk

DirtyDroid
09-25-2011, 10:59 PM
it was there.... *was*...
not sure what happened there... but here it actually is... right???
MIUI.us UNITED WORLDWIDE - ROM Downloads (http://roms.miui.us/)

yeah thats it Nemo...should be an update out soon i would think...oh well

icedice34
09-26-2011, 09:06 AM
i can't have that... what's the quarter i missed???

here's the miui website with the dx download...

and yes... you can flash them right on top... about a week ago... i went from cm7 to apex to shuji... then back to cm7... with no sbf... so you are good to get in all your flashing needs

So, if I want to flash one, I should wipe data/cache /dalvike cache and then install? Or do I not need to wipe data?

Nemo aeternamn
09-26-2011, 09:13 AM
you need to wipe data when going from rom to rom...
if your wondering what steps you need to take to get on a certian rom.... just follow the steps on the original post for that rom... it doesn't matter what rom your currently running... as long as it's the same kernel and what not

hillbilliegreg
09-26-2011, 09:30 AM
"Hopefully I will be done for a while. I kind of want to try MIUI, mostly because it appears to be so drastically different from most of the others."

well yes it is drastically different, it is a closed source rom from china.
as opposed to the open source nature of all the other roms.

gbrinn
09-26-2011, 10:44 AM
"Hopefully I will be done for a while. I kind of want to try MIUI, mostly because it appears to be so drastically different from most of the others."

well yes it is drastically different, it is a closed source rom from china.
as opposed to the open source nature of all the other roms.
Now that's interesting. I wasn't aware it was closed-source. I knew it was from China, though and there for part of my IT-security past has made me hesistant to try it...

hillbilliegreg
09-26-2011, 11:38 AM
Yes, do a Google search "miui closed source "
You will find a lot of info from xda,rootzwiki,etc

The persuader
09-26-2011, 11:40 AM

Question...

Is it possible to create an Icon on your Phone Desktop...that will convert your Kernel to 2nd-init to use other ROMs mentioned in this Post...

Currently on Apex RC3

Its Bubba
Sent from "The DX Express" :)

nemosfate
09-26-2011, 11:46 AM
Question...

Is it possible to create an Icon on your Phone Desktop...that will convert your Kernel to 2nd-init to use other ROMs mentioned in this Post...

Currently on Apex RC3

Its Bubba
Sent from "The DX Express" :)

There's no conversion, you just flash the rom

root, roms and themes oh my!

timelord
09-27-2011, 08:24 PM
To me its a very simple choice. If you like having the blur camera 720p and hdmi out, then stay with a blur rom. if you don't take many pictures or videos, then the 2nd init roms are for you.

Nemo aeternamn
09-27-2011, 09:49 PM
To me its a very simple choice. If you like having the blur camera 720p and hdmi out, then stay with a blur rom. if you don't take many pictures or videos, then the 2nd init roms are for you.

Well... The aosp camera still works pretty hood... Better then the miui camera...
But still... Well put

We have nothing to fear but running out of beer