PDA

View Full Version : My Droid X is hot and burns through the battery

rockinyp
09-25-2011, 02:14 PM
Up until a couple months ago I was running stock Moto Blur Froyo rooted with no problems at all. But after upgrading to Gingerbread Blur rooted, a few weeks later the back of the bottom quarter of the phone started warm and it would drain the battery by about 15% per hour (5 hours of sitting in idle standby to go from a full charge to dead). I checked the CPU usage and it was normal (floating from 5% to 20% when idle), killed all apps, restarted the phone, let it sit without the battery for a while, uninstalled recently installed apps, turned off GPS and wifi, and nothing seemed to fix it. But then it just stopped on its own and the phone went back to normal.

Well, that's happened several times. The last time it happened, I "fixed" it by updating Gingerbread to the latest rooted version, which basically entailed of a complete phone wipe/format and reinstalled the newest rooted Gingerbread as a clean install. However, the problem just came back this past week again. I'm not sure what to do about it. Although I couldn't find anyone else having this issue, I'm guessing it has something to do with Gingerbread, not my hardware since I never had this issue on Froyo. I thought maybe switching to a custom ROM would solve the problem, but before I do that I thought I'd ask here to see if anyone has an idea of what's going on with my phone and how to fix this problem and if moving to a custom ROM would even fix it in the first place. Any help or direction you guys could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Snow02
09-25-2011, 02:18 PM
You probably have a process running wild. If you don't feel like tracking it down, a simple factory reset should resolve it.

rockinyp
09-25-2011, 02:22 PM
You probably have a process running wild. If you don't feel like tracking it down, a simple factory reset should resolve it.
How would I go about tracking it down?

That's what I thought, too, but I thought the clean install of the Gingerbread update would fix that, but it didn't. Maybe because I restored my apps/settings with Titanium Backup? Would that just bring the problem process back?

Nemo aeternamn
09-25-2011, 02:53 PM
if you look in your battery life.. it will show you what's using the battery...
and there are also apps for gingerbread that will give you a better brake down of what's drawing the power

OldEmt
09-25-2011, 02:59 PM
Had the same problem. I blamed it on something amiss in an app that I was reloading with TiBu, did my restore from market and everything was fine.

rockinyp
09-25-2011, 03:06 PM
if you look in your battery life.. it will show you what's using the battery...
and there are also apps for gingerbread that will give you a better brake down of what's drawing the power
It says:

Display - 42%
Phone idle - 11%
Cell standby - 10%
Motorola Services - 6%

and then some other apps I use all with a low percentage.

Is there an app you recommend that breaks down the usage better? I use System Panel Lite to monitor CPU and Memory and to end processes, but that doesn't seem to say anything about the battery.

Nemo aeternamn
09-25-2011, 03:14 PM
bettrrbatterystats is a great app for a better brake down of the battery usage

We have nothing to fear but running out of beer

Snow02
09-25-2011, 03:38 PM
More than likely something would show up in the battery stats. Android system is the usual one when you have a runaway process. You're right, that doesn't appear to be the problem.

Check the detailed stats by pressing the graph at the top and make sure the phone isn't wake-locked. By that I mean make sure the awake bar isn't highlighted all the way across the screen. If something is keeping the phone from sleeping that would also kill your battery rather quickly.

Also, not restoring from titanium after another factory reset would be a good idea to see if it is in fact an app causing whatever the problem is.