PDA

View Full Version : Data throttle hack for Stock ROM 4.5.602 ?

Armond30
09-22-2011, 03:05 PM
I was wondering if anyone had a data throttle hack or mod for a stock rom .602. I am VERY new to modifying my Droid X, and I just rooted my phone for the first time 2 days ago. I plan on Deodexing the phone tonight because I beleive that is necessary to change the services.jar file. I have a root explorer, but I have no idea as to how the file structure for the phone is layed out. Can anyone help me figure out how to do a throttle mod for my stock rom .602 phone? I am a heavy user now due to hulu/netflix/youtube, and I would like for my phone to play those just as good as it used to before my internet speeds slowed from 1.5 MB to 100 KB :(!

any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

macpro88
09-22-2011, 03:48 PM
Well first I need to ask, do you use more than the 5GB of data a month? If not, then don't worry about it.

But anyways, you need to be deodexed to edit the services.jar file.

And I do not think anyone has modified it yet.

dig'em
09-22-2011, 04:06 PM
Also, Verizon has started throttling all of their customers who useover 2gb on high traffic towers (they call it network optimization.)

This is according to their page on their website. I started a thread about it but it was closed because some couldn't hold a civil tongue.

The result is that now it is impossible to tell when and where they will throttle you on the network side.

Here is Verizon's page on the issue, although it all sounds pretty vague as to how it works.

http://support.vzw.com/information/data_disclosure.html

froyo crusaider

Armond30
09-22-2011, 05:44 PM
Yeah, I have used right at 5GB every month for the past 3 months at least. It has been recently (past 3 weeks) that I have noticed that my internet speeds are WAY down. I am 100% sure I am being throttled down. It's dependent on time of day also. If I check speeds at my house at 3 AM or so, it is incredibly fast (I have seen Speedtest app say 2MB before, and video didn't skip a beat. it was good), then the next day on th eway to work, back down to 150 KB or so with Pandora radio skipping (fairly pathetic). It's even if I am stationary as well. I know there is a throttle mod for .596. Does anyone think this will work? How do I find the Services.JAR file anyway (what is the file path to it)? I am realyl cautious when it comes to my phone because I have grown to depend on it.......A LOT. I don't want to destroy it.....I just want to work as well as it did 3 months ago :-/

Welfarebob
09-22-2011, 05:53 PM
I don't think you are being throttled if you are noticing slower speeds at certain hours or times and faster at other times I think you are just experiencing network congestion so to say when many people are on there phones at say 5am you will notice slower speeds than when people are still sleeping at 3am... its kinds like a data traffic jam :X

Sent from my DROID X2 using Droid X Forums

dig'em
09-22-2011, 07:42 PM
+1 Bob, I use most of my data after 10pm and before 3am and its way faster then at lunchtime.

I used to use the data throttle hacks but people claim mixed results with them. I do t have one installed now and really can't tell a difference from when I did. I stream a lot of video without so much as a hiccup and I average over 6gb per month.

froyo crusaider

Welfarebob
09-23-2011, 01:15 AM
If you are being throttled you would see slower speeds all the time cell towers work like wifi routers if you have a router distribution using 100 mb of data per second and ten computers connected and all ten downloading a linux distribution at full force then each computer would bottleneck and throttle themselves to say 10mbps for this example.. will ofcourse vary in a real world scenario as computers have different hardware and schematics however if you turn off all computers but one then it will be able to download at full force gaining the 100mbps ratio... cell towers worn in the same scheme... except they handle a much larger base... you should notice slower speeds at say morning lunch after schools let out these are considered peak hours and generally get more cell traffic which you should see the throttled speeds however off peak hours you should see faster performances :) sorry figured I would go into more detail regarding this you can or should be able to contact customer service and they should let you know that you are being throttled and am sure they will then explain the same scenarios to you ;)

Sent from my DROID X2 using Droid X Forums

Armond30
09-24-2011, 01:40 AM
Well, since I have only seen what I woudl consider normal speeds once (the one time I checked at 3AM) in the past 3 weeks, I am probably being throttled (or not.....) If not, then the vast majority of metro atlanta has 150K 3g wireless speeds through verizon, which I find really hard to believe. That on top of how much data I use, and the public announcements from Verizon over the past couple of months really leads me to believe I am being throttled. IF there isn't a way to fix it in .602, I guess I will have to roll it back to .596. I can't even watch Hulu in low def in the center of town with this phone now, and Wifi has never been great with this unit. it's sad.

Chocobubba
09-24-2011, 01:48 AM
Well, since I have only seen what I woudl consider normal speeds once (the one time I checked at 3AM) in the past 3 weeks, I am probably being throttled (or not.....) If not, then the vast majority of metro atlanta has 150K 3g wireless speeds through verizon, which I find really hard to believe. That on top of how much data I use, and the public announcements from Verizon over the past couple of months really leads me to believe I am being throttled. IF there isn't a way to fix it in .602, I guess I will have to roll it back to .596. I can't even watch Hulu in low def in the center of town with this phone now, and Wifi has never been great with this unit. it's sad.

I would bet you are being data managed per an above post. It's hard to say, but if you can use Wi-Fi.

~PheoniX the Droid X relayed this for me.

dig'em
09-24-2011, 09:59 AM
I spoke to a Rep (and was raising some hell) about it and was told that there is a code when you log into their website that lets them know if you are being throttled.

He actually gave me the code and explained how to check the website to see if my number had been put on the "throttle list."

I would share but I left the info at work, so I may post it up on Monday when I get back to the office.

You can call and raise hell too. I told them I wanted to know what it would cost to buy out the rest of my contract cause I was done with Verizon and felt like this policy was a breech of contact on their part. From that point on, their tone changed a bit. Not much, but just a bit.

froyo crusaider

Chocobubba
09-24-2011, 12:46 PM
I spoke to a Rep (and was raising some hell) about it and was told that there is a code when you log into their website that lets them know if you are being throttled.

He actually gave me the code and explained how to check the website to see if my number had been put on the "throttle list."

I would share but I left the info at work, so I may post it up on Monday when I get back to the office.

You can call and raise hell too. I told them I wanted to know what it would cost to buy out the rest of my contract cause I was done with Verizon and felt like this policy was a breech of contact on their part. From that point on, their tone changed a bit. Not much, but just a bit.

froyo crusaider

Threatening to leave a company can sometimes be beneficial... sometimes. Especially direct tv :P I'd bet I'm on the list after all my torrenting

~PheoniX the Droid X relayed this for me.

dig'em
09-24-2011, 04:58 PM
From what I understand, it depends solely on the traffic of the particular tower you are on.

I use between 6 and 7 gigs every month and have been over 11 gigs quite a few months. According to the "customer loyalty " department,I have not been throttled yet.

I check my 3g speed often and I have always been between 600kbs and 1mbs, so I'm not calling shenanigans on them yet.... but I'm watching you big "V"

froyo crusaider