PDA

View Full Version : Droid .... getting really hot below the battery.....!!!!

barber_bill
09-22-2011, 03:33 AM
K...I took my almost 1year old (oct 5,2011 warranty expires)......droid x to verizon because it had been getting really hot (back side bottom below the battery) They said no problem, its under warranty, we'll send u a new one.. New/refurb phone arrived 2day... So in the short time it took to get it activated w/ my number (over the air activation) the replacement phone got hotter & got hotter fast than my original DX.. So I call'd customer srvc explained my probem, got my original phone activated again...then customer srvc, just said to mail the replacement back & that's it... Well that doesn't fix my original issue of "my almost out of warranty phone from getting to hot..." any body have any insite on the heating up thing, or suggestion on what 2do b4 the warranty expires...?

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

Snow02
09-22-2011, 03:36 AM
That's normal. Especially if using a lot of 3G data. Turning the screen brightness down can help. Or just don't worry about it. It has built in protection to keep it from getting hot enough to damage anything.

cobracon71
09-22-2011, 03:40 AM
+1 to that snow but i have noticed a heat increase since going to gb, froyo didnt seem to get as hot

ArcAngL
09-22-2011, 05:40 AM
I'm pretty sure that's where the processor is located. And yes, it has built in protection.... If it gets too hot the dang thing reboots... And mine does it 3+ times a day. 110 - 115 degrees ferenheit or so is when mine reboots. (stock gb. 506, no overclocking or whatnot)

I don't think there's anything you can do about it. Just crummy engineering I guess. Phones are getting too thin to be properly cooled.

Snow02
09-22-2011, 06:08 AM
Mine would go up to 130F sometimes, not often. I never had any stability problems.

gbrinn
09-22-2011, 06:36 AM
My old one would lock up at 110, 115. After it got to 122 and locked up, I warrantied it.

barber_bill
09-22-2011, 10:52 AM
Thx....for all the info.... I just don't get it tho.... my phone never got for the 1st 7 or 8 months that I had it... And I used it way more then , than I do now, mine will lock up & shut down @ about 107-110.. I keep my brightness all the way low all the time..oh ya..& my phone is stock , haven't learned how to root yet, key word is "yet"..the warranty replacement that I received got hot in less than a min, & it was way hotter than mine ever got, any ways thx again for the info, I think its time to upgrade, any suggestions...

gbrinn
09-22-2011, 02:16 PM
Thx....for all the info.... I just don't get it tho.... my phone never got for the 1st 7 or 8 months that I had it... And I used it way more then , than I do now, mine will lock up & shut down @ about 107-110.. I keep my brightness all the way low all the time..oh ya..& my phone is stock , haven't learned how to root yet, key word is "yet"..the warranty replacement that I received got hot in less than a min, & it was way hotter than mine ever got, any ways thx again for the info, I think its time to upgrade, any suggestions...

The Droid Bionic just came out and there are a few more on the horizon.

gumgod
10-05-2011, 10:00 AM
Mine is doing the same thing now. I've noticed it will open a number of apps in the background and that it is working harder than it used to. I think this is either related to the OS or the market as mine is always trying to check for updates and opening apps on it's own that I'm not using. This is killing my battery life.

edit adding picture. My battery has gone from 100% charge to 60% charge in only 4 hours. The culprit according to battery manager is Android OS.

gbrinn
10-05-2011, 10:57 AM
How warm is it getting?

scabbytattoo
10-05-2011, 11:10 AM
Ya it can get pretty warm. I once tryed to download a movie over 3g (never do it trust me) and I ended up having to set it on an ice pack just to keep it going. That being said if its not turning off or slowing way down just deal with it not like its going to melt down and blow up.

gumgod
10-06-2011, 11:46 AM
Mine is doing the same thing now. I've noticed it will open a number of apps in the background and that it is working harder than it used to. I think this is either related to the OS or the market as mine is always trying to check for updates and opening apps on it's own that I'm not using. This is killing my battery life.

edit adding picture. My battery has gone from 100% charge to 60% charge in only 4 hours. The culprit according to battery manager is Android OS.

Today after 6 hours my battery still has 70% (and I've actually been using my phone). It's cool to the touch and doing much better. Yesterday I set the wifi sleep policy to never after reading online that this setting had been causing problems for other users. This seems counter intuitive, but I always have my wifi radio off unless I specifically want to use wifi anyway so it works for me. To change this setting go to Settings > Wireless & networks > Wi-Fi settings > (tap menu) Advanced > Wi-Fi sleep policy > never. Apparently the default setting of this is a known issue that is causing the Adroid OS to use more battery power (and processing power) when the screen is off. After turning this to never, I rebooted my phone and it has been cooler and uses far less battery-- so far.

+1 to that snow but i have noticed a heat increase since going to gb, froyo didnt seem to get as hot
I think you are correct that this problem is related to gingerbread. There's actually an issue tracker about it here (says for the Nexus one, but I'd say it's happening gb in gerneral).
http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=15057