PDA

View Full Version : One click rooting or no?

bluesnell
09-19-2011, 01:30 AM
Today a guy told me I should not do the one click rooting because I need to understand enough about rooting to do it manually or I will cause problems by not doing mu updates properly or something, could someone explain to me if this is correct?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Droid X Forums

Nemo aeternamn
09-19-2011, 01:34 AM
rooting the phone doesn't actually do anything... all it does is grant you system level access... so you can modify your phone.. how you want it...

however... when you start changing/deleting/freezing some of the system apps and what not... ya.. you can't do factory updates... however... we get leaks and updates before they even roll out...

honestly... i don't see a down side to it... all it does is open up the doors... and then you can choose how far you want to walk through... and when you wanna go that far... reading and learning all along the way

juhde
09-19-2011, 01:52 AM
I'd like to add that if you do mess up, it'll be a learning experience. Reading as much as you can is a great idea but eventually you just need to get your hands dirty. I learned a lot by reading, I learned more by making mistakes and fixing them.

It really boils down to do you have the time to stay up all night fixing your phone if you brick it, or can you live without a phone for a day till you do have time. But you'll be glad to know that if you hard brick (unrecoverable brick) your phone, it'll be the first X2 I've heard of it happening to. Pretty much anything you get yourself into has a fix. We're here to help in situations just like that!

Cheers

Sent from my Android device.

bluesnell
09-19-2011, 01:53 AM
Sweet im in. I've been reading like crazy and some stuff is finally starting to sink in. So would you suggest the motor one click?

bluesnell
09-19-2011, 01:53 AM
Do you guys reccomend rom manager? Is it the same as clockworkmod?

bluesnell
09-19-2011, 01:54 AM
I should add you guys are freaking awesome. I always get helpful responses and fast im hooked for sure!

juhde
09-19-2011, 01:58 AM
Do you guys reccomend rom manager? Is it the same as clockworkmod?

Currently ROManager isn't compatible with the X2.

As per your previous query, it's up to you. Not my place to tell you to root or not lol, but I'll be there to help you along either way.

Sent from my Android device.

lhkjohn
09-19-2011, 03:26 AM
I'd have to advise you against rooting... You will become highly addicted and spending much of whatever free time you have flashing and reflashing your phone and/or on forums such as this... Just saying, you've been warned.

Tapatalkin' from my Atrix'd out DROID X2

JSM9872
09-19-2011, 04:23 AM
I'd have to advise you against rooting... You will become highly addicted and spending much of whatever free time you have flashing and reflashing your phone and/or on forums such as this... Just saying, you've been warned.

Tapatalkin' from my Atrix'd out DROID X2

+10000000...

So true! Went from never participating in a forum to being on 5 of them regularly. And flashing as many roms as I can. I love it though!

Sent From a Tear in the Space/Time Continuum...

bluesnell
09-19-2011, 12:21 PM
Soon true and all I've done is root. Still spending more time on this forum than eating or breathing so far

JSM9872
09-19-2011, 01:37 PM
Soon true and all I've done is root. Still spending more time on this forum than eating or breathing so far

I just eat while I am on here lol.

Assuming you used the one-click like you were asking about? Well it works great. And after reading the OP I would imagine nemo was correct. It was not the rooting you need to worry about. If you do nothing after rooting odds are you wouldnt even notice, its the modding where you can get stuck. Best thing to do is keep reading like you have been and then when you mess up (we all do!) you will only have to panic a little bit.

shawn
09-20-2011, 02:52 PM
I've been rooted for over a yr now don't know how to do it manually as I can not get adb working on my lap top and I've tried most of the roms mods and tweaks for the x and x2 I've found as long as you know how to sfb it's really hard to do something you can't fix