PDA

View Full Version : Want to try CM7 for GB.602

GunJam
09-18-2011, 08:46 PM
Hey

Ive been running shuji 2.1 for a week or so now and want to see how CM7 compairs

How is the best way to get back to stock prerooted gb.602?

I have a backup made from before I added shuji 2.1 made using droid 2 bootstrap

OR

can I get by by simply wiping user data and cache using droid 2 bootstrap.

Once im back to stock pre rooted .602 then what?

Thanks

-Gun

BHuber09
09-18-2011, 08:52 PM
Just wipe data in clockwork and restore your backup and then wipe again would be the easiest
Or you could sbf to 602 then root and then install
Either way will work
But I'll post the CMGB link in a second unless someone beats me to it

FreeMyMoto!!!

BHuber09
09-18-2011, 08:55 PM
Here's the link
Sorry to double post but my experience with links on an edit don't work out
http://www.DroidXForums.com/forum/cyanogenmod/35494-cm7-gb-kernel.html

FreeMyMoto!!!

GunJam
09-18-2011, 10:00 PM
Okay I found a step by step layout on about page 27 in the link you sent..But before I go any further I have to ask about gapps...Google apps right? Why does CM7 need gaaps and what is it exactly?

GunJam
09-19-2011, 12:16 AM
Got CM7 running with nothing installed seems to be working great...I still dont get gapps...I have not installed it yet.

I think im already sold on CM7 it seems very powerful I like it a lot already.

cory46
09-19-2011, 12:21 AM
Gapps are Google apps that are proprietary ( market, Google talk, few others) that cannot be obtained from the market and cannot be distributed in non official roms/builds of android

1Kitkatdidiwags

Enzymaticracer
09-19-2011, 10:14 AM
Got CM7 running with nothing installed seems to be working great...I still dont get gapps...I have not installed it yet.

I think im already sold on CM7 it seems very powerful I like it a lot already.

You have to flash Gapps in order to log in to your google account.

All of your market apps, your contacts, your gmail, everything depends on having the google apps on your phone. You can technically run it without doing so, but it removes a significant portion of the useability of the phone.

usiris208
09-19-2011, 12:55 PM
So I'm thinking about switching over to cmgb and im wondering if the gps is working for anyone? Even tho i dont use it much you never know when you need it...plus no working gps is a deal breaker for me.

Sent from Dx Liberty V0.9 using Tapatalk.

Nemo aeternamn
09-19-2011, 12:57 PM
Gps works great for me... Has on most of revs nightlies... So your good to flash

We have nothing to fear but running out of beer

usiris208
09-19-2011, 01:03 PM
Thx... Last time I was on cm was build 60 and the gps fix didn't even work. Looks like I'll be switching over tonight then haha.

Sent from Dx Liberty V0.9 using Tapatalk.

Nemo aeternamn
09-19-2011, 01:05 PM
Us rev includes fix that aren't in the"official"nightlies

GunJam
09-19-2011, 01:21 PM
Okay question then. How do I flash the gapp without droid 2 bootstrap? I installed the market.apk but as mentioned I can not create an account.

Nemo aeternamn
09-19-2011, 01:26 PM
Okay question then. How do I flash the gapp without droid 2 bootstrap? I installed the market.apk but as mentioned I can not create an account.

Bootstrap us built in... So you can either a press power/reboot/recovery or b use rom manager

GunJam
09-19-2011, 01:44 PM
Okay I installed Ggapps-gb-20110b28-newtalk-signed.zip using rom manager. There is no market icon and google talk instantly force closes on boot...it seems pretty obvious at this point that I got the wrong gapp...what gapp do I need so I can create a user profile and download stuff from the market?

Thanks

Nemo aeternamn
09-19-2011, 01:46 PM
Go into rom manager and download 8/28... And you should be good to go

GunJam
09-19-2011, 02:14 PM
Okay I went into rom manager and clicked on ROM updates...I dont know if thats right or not. Then it said it had to download something first so I did that then it says the feature is available only premium users... What I need is a link to the proper gapps that I can download from my pc and place on my sd card then install it using rom manager...I think

Thanks!

Nemo aeternamn
09-19-2011, 02:19 PM
Okay I went into rom manager and clicked on ROM updates...I dont know if thats right or not. Then it said it had to download something first so I did that then it says the feature is available only premium users... What I need is a link to the proper gapps that I can download from my pc and place on my sd card then install it using rom manager...I think

Thanks!

Go to... Goo-inside.me/gapps

GunJam
09-19-2011, 02:42 PM
Now I cant get either of my pcs to read the SD card...its gonna be one of those days I think

Nemo aeternamn
09-19-2011, 03:05 PM
Well... Try a factory wipe...

GunJam
09-19-2011, 03:41 PM
Okay I got a gapps from goo inside me (who thinks up this crap) it was the one listed for cm7 everything seems to be working fine!

Ill let you know I like it in a few days so far it seems great

Nemo aeternamn
09-19-2011, 04:04 PM
Sounds great... good to hear us got things going

GunJam
09-19-2011, 04:06 PM
Hey thanks for everyone's help...im sure ill have more questions in the near future

usiris208
09-19-2011, 06:00 PM
ok so i got the 602.sbf and after flashing it will just hang on the android!
flashed it twice now and still the same thing.
need help plz

edit: nvm got it working...something was up with the volume buttons

edit2: k so i have had this problem since starting to root and that is while
phone is rebooting while plugged in will go straight to the bootloader screen. its that normal? if not
is there a way to fix it.

GunJam
09-19-2011, 10:28 PM
here's some curious things I have noticed.

You cant charge the phone with the phone off. attempting to do so boots the phone. I assume this is normal.

Google sky maps which used to be really awesome 6 months ago then sucked since I got this phone now really sucks. not only does it lag bad as before but now the accelerometers are revered on the horizontal plane. I have heard other mention this..I blame the software.

Okay so first question. How do I use rom manager to download the nightlies update..thats what it does right? Do i gotta pay money or something? how much?

Thanks

-Gun

Nemo aeternamn
09-19-2011, 10:31 PM
here's some curious things I have noticed.

You cant charge the phone with the phone off. attempting to do so boots the phone. I assume this is normal.

Google sky maps which used to be really awesome 6 months ago then sucked since I got this phone now really sucks. not only does it lag bad as before but now the accelerometers are revered on the horizontal plane. I have heard other mention this..I blame the software.

Okay so first question. How do I use rom manager to download the nightlies update..thats what it does right? Do i gotta pay money or something? how much?

Thanks

-Gun

First thing... Yes it is... As the ability to charge the phone while off was apart of the blur framework that got taken out... But this is being worked on... But no eta when it will come out...
Second... Don't know... Haven't read about it or used it....
Third... You can't... Yet... Even this gets merged with the official nightlies... You will be able to

gbrinn
09-19-2011, 11:07 PM
Waiting anxiously for the merger...

Nemo aeternamn
09-19-2011, 11:08 PM
Waiting anxiously for the merger...

Haha... Your not alone

gbrinn
09-19-2011, 11:11 PM
It can't come soon enough.

GunJam
09-20-2011, 12:40 AM
Im still mostly in the dark about the nightlies... So as I understand it so far...They are simply updates for CM7 that are literally released each night. They are acquired from rootzwiki (but im not sure where on the site)

Is that pretty close?

And the deal with the merger is they are going to merge a program like rom manager to cut out the middle man and simply download the updates over the air directly?

Thanks

-Gun

Nemo aeternamn
09-20-2011, 12:47 AM
Im still mostly in the dark about the nightlies... So as I understand it so far...They are simply updates for CM7 that are literally released each night. They are acquired from rootzwiki (but im not sure where on the site)

Is that pretty close?

And the deal with the merger is they are going to merge a program like rom manager to cut out the middle man and simply download the updates over the air directly?

Thanks

-Gun

not really in the dark... just more ment for a different crowd... because it could(was) a bit buggier... and you can get them here [DEV_THREAD]DroidX CM7 with Gingerbread Kernel
(http://rootzwiki.com/showthread.php?3335-DEV_THREAD-DroidX-CM7-with-Gingerbread-Kernel<br /><br />a)and not exactly... with the merger... it's going to get brought mainstream... so the nightlies on the froyo kernel are going to change/stop to the nightlies on the ginger kernel... so it'll be available on their official nightly mirror...

GunJam
09-20-2011, 01:26 AM
Yess I see they have a new one already for today...Im running the 9-17 I think.

Now when you install the latest update dont you have to wipe user data, and both caches? What good is updating you phone each night if have to go through the trouble of wiping it each night..or is that not the case?

Nemo aeternamn
09-20-2011, 01:33 AM
you don't wipe data.. at most all you do is wipe cache partition... then go to advanced and wipe dalvik and battery stats...

but like me... today... i just updated to rev's nightly... all i did was... up... flashed the rom and my other files i have to install each time... and i'm having no problem...

nemosfate
09-20-2011, 01:35 AM
you don't wipe data.. at most all you do is wipe cache partition... then go to advanced and wipe dalvik and battery stats...

but like me... today... i just updated to rev's nightly... all i did was... up... flashed the rom and my other files i have to install each time... and i'm having no problem...
Do you mean your apps you have to reinstall?

root, roms and themes oh my!

Nemo aeternamn
09-20-2011, 01:41 AM
about the other files i flash? no... one is a zip so when my screen's off... only the power button will turn the screen off, jakebites mod then i switch to recovery to 2.5.0.8 and flash my font

Edit; Post Script: and it would make sense for me to make them in the same folder on the top there... instead of across my memory card...haha... it takes a bit of button pressing to get to them

GunJam
09-20-2011, 01:53 AM
Oh that's good about not having to wipe user data... Its as simple as downloading the latest file, placing it on sd card and using rom manager to install it after clearing both cache?...Pretty cool

Thanks for clearing that up Ill have to try flashing some updates for fun :)

Ohh I never wiped batter stats. I hear thats important when switching roms...ill do that next update!!

-Gun

Nemo aeternamn
09-20-2011, 01:55 AM
Oh that's good about not having to wipe user data... Its as simple as downloading the latest file, placing it on sd card and using rom manager to install it after clearing both cache?...Pretty cool

Thanks for clearing that up Ill have to try flashing some updates for fun :)

Ohh I never wiped batter stats. I hear thats important when switching roms...ill do that next update!!

-Gun

well... i don't use rom manager to flash for me... i've heard of people having problems with it... i prefer to flash the files myself... and yup... dalvik cache and well... just the regular cache

GunJam
09-20-2011, 02:12 AM
by saying "using rom manager" I meant using it load clock work recovery...i guess its the same as droid 2 bootstap that I used to use but I guess is built into rom manager now...this is how you install the files right..I am unaware of any alternative to this.

Nemo aeternamn
09-20-2011, 02:22 AM
by saying "using rom manager" I meant using it load clock work recovery...i guess its the same as droid 2 bootstap that I used to use but I guess is built into rom manager now...this is how you install the files right..I am unaware of any alternative to this.

ah...haha... i thought you meant by going to install rom from sd card under the rom manager app... and yes... that's how you install them...

and just a little fyi... bootstrap is different from rom manager... bootstrap hijacks the recovery... and is built into cm7...
rom manager will flash different recoveries... and to use rom manager on a blur based rom... you have to install bootstrap and use it to bootstrap the recovery before you will be able to flash different recoveries...

if i made something confusing... feel free to point out and i will clarify

nemosfate
09-20-2011, 02:28 AM
But don't install bootstrap on cm7gb! The first time I read something similar to what Nemo.a said and got crossed up and had to sbf lol

gbrinn
09-20-2011, 07:27 AM
Well, use ROM Manager to install Bootstrap. Once you're loaded into CM7 and then ROM Manager is up, flash Bootstrap Recovery and select DX-2nd Init.

melfunn
09-20-2011, 09:29 AM
I am currently on Android ver. 2.3.5 CM7. VERY happy with this ROM. What are the advantages of flashing to GB.602?
Thanks

gbrinn
09-20-2011, 10:04 AM
The Froyo nightlies will be merged with the new GB-based build in the next week or two and you won't have to SBF for it to work.

GunJam
09-20-2011, 12:02 PM
has anyone found any successful performance tweaks "dragons ahead" that made a notable improvement in performance over the stock settings without a loss of stability or highly compromised battery life. Or is the stock setting about as good as it gets.

Thanks

-Gun

Nemo aeternamn
09-20-2011, 12:10 PM
Dragons ahead... Not sure what you are referring to by that...
But jakebitesmod v9 is pretty good.. And out had the supercharger script built in

cory46
09-20-2011, 12:13 PM
Dragons ahead... Not sure what you are referring to by that...

There is a warning that says "there be dragons ahead"
When going in to mess with JIT and VM heap sizes and other settings

1Kitkatdidiwags

gbrinn
09-20-2011, 12:16 PM
And now the lightbulb turns on. Yeah, stay away from those for now. Get comfortable with the phone first.

Nemo aeternamn
09-20-2011, 12:20 PM
There is a warning that says "there be dragons ahead"
When going in to mess with JIT and VM heap sizes and other settings

1Kitkatdidiwags

ah... well... that's new... granted i probably haven't read that warning since... nightly #5

nemosfate
09-20-2011, 12:28 PM
Well, use ROM Manager to install Bootstrap. Once you're loaded into CM7 and then ROM Manager is up, flash Bootstrap Recovery and select DX-2nd Init.

Lol yeah I was meaning the d2 or the dx one, I was nodding in and out last night lol

GunJam
09-20-2011, 12:49 PM
Okay thanks..I wont mess with any of that until there has been more testing... by the way this thing runs I suspect its pretty much optimal right now..

gbrinn
09-20-2011, 02:06 PM
Faster than stock Motoblur, for sure.

cory46
09-20-2011, 02:09 PM
Okay thanks..I wont mess with any of that until there has been more testing... by the way this thing runs I suspect its pretty much optimal right now..

You can mess with it:) just be cautious make backups it can speed things up but cm7 is pretty optimized out of the box and some of those settings to far one way or another (+/-) could cause problems

Faster than stock Motoblur, for sure.

+1,000,000 internets to this :)

1Kitkatdidiwags

GunJam
09-20-2011, 06:42 PM
I keep hearing blur mentioned. Is this the guts of the Google / Motorola / Verizon OS (froyo GB)? They talk about it like its totally badass or something when in reality its just a bunch of bloatware that slows everything down? I hear devs talk about it like its something to avoid at all cost and notice the better the phone runs the less blur it has...

Is that close to accurate?

Thanks

-Gun

Nemo aeternamn
09-20-2011, 06:56 PM
Ya... Pretty much... Blur is the name of the framework from motorola... And I dislike it... Some like it.. But it lags bad.. Uses up memory

gbrinn
09-20-2011, 06:59 PM
Some blur is nice, but for some reason, there's a lot of bloat to it, too.