PDA

View Full Version : New to roms and themes

xaalfx
09-17-2011, 07:31 PM
Heeey ok so first off yes im a noob and yes I wanna install themes and roms on my dx2 can any point me in the right direction on where to even start?

Sent from my *Rooted* DROID X2 using Droid X Forums

juhde
09-18-2011, 01:29 AM
First off you'll need a custom recovery, currently the only available one is tenfars system recovery/bootstrap. You'll use this to flash all ROMs and themes. It is also used to create a NANDroid backup, basically a complete backup of your phone stored on your sdcard that you can restore if 1) you don't like the ROM you just flashed 2) something goes wrong 3) your phone ever breaks, if your replacement is the same model you can quickly bring it back to how your old phone was.

After that you just need to pick a ROM to try out, download it to your sdcard, boot into custom recovery, make a backup, wipe data, cache, and dalvik cache, and then instal the ROM. Most ROM threads have *some* sort of instal instructions, some detailed others vague, but if you needed detailed help just let me know.

Themes are installed the same way EXCEPT you don't wipe anything. Also remember themes are specific to ROMs, flashing a theme built for one ROM on to a different ROM (and sometimes even a different version of the same ROM) can be bad. In some cases soft bricking your device. That's why those backups are so important :-).

Cheers

Sent from my Android device.

xaalfx
09-18-2011, 10:56 PM
Saweeeet! I just installed the ATRIX 4g rom and so far im loving it bro that's for all your help <3

Sent from my DROID X2 using Droid X Forums

xaalfx
09-18-2011, 11:10 PM
One more question I just downloaded the patch for 0.2 to 0.3 do I take the same steps to install a patch?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Droid X Forums

juhde
09-18-2011, 11:36 PM
Yes, use custom recovery to flash a patch or theme, however do not wipe anything when installing patches or themes.

If you happen to boot loop, wiping cache usually solves it.

Sent from my Android device.