PDA

View Full Version : Stuck on M logo - Please HELP!

jaymatt
09-16-2011, 08:43 AM
My phone won't get past the red M logo and I cannot get into stock recovery ( I get the android guy with a ! in a triangle)!
I followed all the instructions here and was able to get to .596. I was also able to get the OTA to .602 and the only reason I did that was cos someone on MDW said you could retain root by updating su once you received the update. Well, that was not the case for me and the phone was super laggy. So I cleared data/cache and that's when I think I screwed up cos I tried to restore the nandroid backup (.596) that I had made before upgrading to .602. Now I'm just stuck. I can get into ClockWorkMod Recovery but nothing else. Any ideas?

I posted this in the thread about the upgrade but that seems to have stopped attracting responses. The last one before my post was more than a month back. (http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/gingerbread-general-discussion/27636-official-dx-gingerbread-2-3-3-4-5-596-release-thread-something-everyone-92.html)

Phildo
09-16-2011, 08:46 AM
Home and power gets you to the android guy, from there press both volume buttons to get into stock recovery. Use power button to select

Sent from the heavens thru a complex combination of Rubix and Droid X

popcenator
09-16-2011, 08:47 AM
I responded in that thread, but we'll keep this one open so others can contribute.

My response:
Once you get to the android guy with the (!), hit both volume keys to enter recovery, then use the power button to select. To root .602, there's a 1-click method available now so you won't have to go through the process of downloading SU and all that.

jaymatt
09-16-2011, 08:53 AM
Wow..that simple? Not sure why I didn't try the two volume buttons cosI tried every other combination. Thanks, that did get me into recovery where I reset data and cache. Tried rebooting but still the same thing. It won't go past the M. I also tried getting into the screen where you sbf (home+power then 'search') but that doesn't seem to be working either. I still get the android guy with ! triangle.

popcenator
09-16-2011, 09:04 AM
Bootloader: Power phone down, then hold the power button+volume down button+camera button.

jaymatt
09-16-2011, 09:15 AM
Am I confused or what! I have no idea why I thought pwr+home+search would get me into the bootloader. Thanks popcenator. SBFing .340 right now!

popcenator
09-16-2011, 09:31 AM
No problemo, let us know if you have any more questions/trouble and we'll be here to help.

jaymatt
09-16-2011, 09:37 AM
Thanks a ton--you guys are awesome! I sbfed successfully and then the phone went into a loop at the droid eye. Wiping data/cache in recovery helped with that and I'm about to root and install .596 part 1 and part 2. I was wondering if you would recommend upgrading to .602. I used it for about half a day and hated it. My phone was super laggy and the keyboard just could not keep up. Are there any good ROMs for .596 or .602 out there? I was running Rubix 1.9.7 for around 6 months and I loved it. Stock sucks and I can't stand the interminable wait times before an action is processed and completed. If there is a good ROM I'll go for it. Otherwise I'll just overclock .596 like I did yesterday.

Phildo
09-16-2011, 09:48 AM
I was running rubix for the longest time, finally decided to jump to gingerbread.i tried all the methods to get to .59x, all failed for me so I waited til I saw an sbf for .602. Loaded that, stuck on boot loop and didn't know the buttons changed lol. Got it going, and now I'm running liberty 0.9 with blackedout-blue theme and loving it.

jaymatt
09-16-2011, 09:50 AM
I was running rubix for the longest time, finally decided to jump to gingerbread.i tried all the methods to get to .59x, all failed for me so I waited til I saw an sbf for .602. Loaded that, stuck on boot loop and didn't know the buttons changed lol. Got it going, and now I'm running liberty 0.9 with blackedout-blue theme and loving it.

Got a link for this ROM?

popcenator
09-16-2011, 10:19 AM
I recommend updating to 602. Apex or Shuji are a couple good ROMs for it. Liberty can be installed but it'll revert you back to 596, though you'll keep the radio upgrade.

on the move..

jaymatt
09-16-2011, 02:57 PM
I'll try that later tonight.

as_daylight_dies
09-17-2011, 11:37 PM
Got a link for this ROM?

Download ROM Toolbox from the market

~Sent from my Droid X running MIUI 1.9.9

jaymatt
09-19-2011, 08:36 AM
Popcenator -- I updated to .602 and then tried the one-click (D3) root method over 5 times but I still don't have root. I'm going to give it a shot one more time on my work computer. Is this a common issue or is it unusual that the exploit does not work as expected?

popcenator
09-19-2011, 09:43 AM
Do you have the latest drivers from Motorola? Go to their site and get the driver installer. Also, make sure you followed the instructions very closely.

jaymatt
09-19-2011, 09:46 AM
Do you have the latest drivers from Motorola? Go to their site and get the driver installer. Also, make sure you followed the instructions very closely.

I did. Just re-downloaded the drivers from Moto's site and tried rooting again a couple of times. I tried the fix from rootzwiki as well (removing su) but still nothing. Super frustrating!

One thing I did find odd was that when the phone rebooted the first time and I unlocked it, the 2 and 3rd exploit would run right away and the phone wouldn't reboot a second time. Also, when the phone rebooted, it would always reboot into Clockwork Recovery. Should I uninstall that and then try? Might as well right?

popcenator
09-19-2011, 09:50 AM
If you have clockwork recovery then you should be rooted, you can only get that by having root access. Get root checker from the market (free) and see if it says you have root.

jaymatt
09-19-2011, 09:52 AM
That's the thing -- I have clockwork recovery but no root cos when I try launching an app that requires root (TB or Android Overclocker) I get a message saying that I need to be rooted to use the app.

popcenator
09-19-2011, 09:57 AM
Do you have the superuser icon in the app drawer?

jaymatt
09-19-2011, 09:59 AM
Do you have the superuser icon in the app drawer?

Yes. This is what happened just now.

I uninstalled D2 and DX CWM recovery. Ran the exploit again and the 1st time it rebooted, it went fine (no clockwork recovery). The 2nd time it booted into clockwork recovery and the root failed with errors.

jaymatt
09-19-2011, 10:04 AM
And now I'm getting a whole bunch of errors. 22408

popcenator
09-19-2011, 10:09 AM
Have you downloaded root checker yet?

jaymatt
09-19-2011, 10:19 AM
Have you downloaded root checker yet?

Yes. Here's the log from the advanced mode. I checked the Busybox install and that was good.

------
Root Access is not properly configured or was not granted.

Superuser.apk - com.noshufou.android.su - version 2.3.6.1 - Added clear log to menu in log tab, More languages, Bugfixes is installed!

Standard su binary location:
/system/bin/su: No such file or directory

Standard su binary location:
/system/xbin/su: No such file or directory

Alternate su binary location:
/sbin/su: Permission denied

SU binary not found in the system declared PATH

Results provided by Root Checker from joeykrim in the Android Market - http://goo.gl/GgWae
-----------------------------------

popcenator
09-19-2011, 10:28 AM
Couple things, go into the superuser app and see if any apps are in there, root checker should be in there as well as any root apps you try and run.

Another thing in the superuser app is go into settings at the top, scroll all the way down and tap to see if your binary is up to date.

jaymatt
09-19-2011, 10:30 AM
I thought I'd clear the cache and then try rooting again and it worked this time. I have no idea why but it did. I've never had such a hard time rooting before but it's good to be rooted finally. On to the ROMs! Thanks for your help dude --- appreciate it!

popcenator
09-19-2011, 10:31 AM
No problem, glad you got it figured out, I was starting to feel bad that I was no help, but you got it regardless! Get to ROMing!