PDA

View Full Version : What's the latest on OTA .602 rooting & ROMing?

PeaceMaker
09-15-2011, 02:30 PM
Hey Guys, I haven't rooted/ROM'd since Froyo (Droid X). I was OTA Froyo rooted and then updated to Gingerbread via OTA.

I'm assuming a few things have changed since Froyo, so I have a few questions:
1) Can I use Gingerbreak APK to root my phone? If not, will the one click root method (for Droid 2/3) work for my phone?

2) Where can I find the latest SBF for OTA Gingerbread in case I mess something up?

3) In order to ROM do the steps still follow:
a) DL ROM, Droid X Bootstrap, SBF of stock
b) Make backup image of your stock config
c) Clear cache, and format the phone
d) Load the rom zip file from bootloader
e) Enjoy?

4) Am I missing anything here?

Thanks!
PM

cory46
09-15-2011, 02:36 PM
Here you go check this out. http://www.DroidXForums.com/forum/gingerbread-development-hacking/35634-gb-602-root-start-here-links-all.html

1Kitkatdidiwags

popcenator
09-15-2011, 02:46 PM
Cory hooked you up with the root files for .602

For SBFing, here's what most (including myself) will recommend.
http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-sbf/23638-linux-solution-your-windows-rsd-lite-problems.html

For ROMs, if they're .602 based, then all you need to do is:

1. Download ROM
2. Use bootstrap (D2 Bootstrap is recommended for Gingerbread, USB Debugging checked; for DX Bootstrap, which can be unstable on Gingerbread, USB Debugging needs to be unchecked) to boot into Clockwork Recovery.
3. Wipe data/cache.
4. Install ROM.
5. Reboot.
6. Enjoy.
7. ????
8. Profit.

(disregard steps 7 and 8..)

PeaceMaker
09-15-2011, 03:19 PM
Saweeet. I got super excited to get back into it after watching a video review of MIUI. It looks SWEET!!! It incorporates (most) everything I like about other phones (doesn't have HTC Sense weather). I just REALLY hope its as/more stable than stock.

popcenator
09-15-2011, 03:23 PM
MIUI is a good ROM to install from Froyo, I'm not sure what the battery life is now, but it was fun and had plenty of customization.

PeaceMaker
09-15-2011, 07:37 PM
MIUI is a good ROM to install from Froyo, I'm not sure what the battery life is now, but it was fun and had plenty of customization.
Crap, I can't install it from Gingerbread?! Also, I don't have to SBF unless I have an issue right?

and also,

is MIUI available from .602? Is the battery still an issue?

savagerun
09-15-2011, 08:35 PM
No miui is froyo you would need to sbf to froyo. But it may be on 602 soon.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

PeaceMaker
09-16-2011, 08:41 AM
Interesting... so maybe ROM hasn't changed that much. From what I'm reading, there are still issues with the ROMs (battery life, bugs, etc.).

BTW, I could not Gingerbreak last night! It just doesn't work. Goes forever, and when I restart after like 20 minutes, it doesnt work. Keep in mind, I was rooted before I OTA to 602.

popcenator
09-16-2011, 09:26 AM
Gingerbreak does not work on .602, you'll need to use the D3 method. Here's the link to both the download and discussion threads.
http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/gingerbread-development-hacking/35634-gb-602-root-start-here-links-all.html